• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ISRT refuses to see my Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 drive

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Communication is so fascinating (especially when Pill Monster is involved).

PrimoCache sound really interesting, might have to look it up.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
One or two of you seem to enjoy once again completely hijacking a thread and shifting the emphasis to personal arguments containing insults, so I will say this just this once, Stop it now and get back to discussing the specifics of the Op, anymore of this crap and my patience will have abandoned me for good, gentlemen......... take it to PM!!! ...... thank you.

You guys are arguing in circles. Simple fact is that @newtekie1 and @RejZoR are right about this one. PrimoCache appears to use a kernel mode driver to intercept I/O requests from the disk. This means at this point, Windows file cache has already been missed and is going forward to get the data from the disk. Primo is simply caching to the SSD and utilizing it when the I/O requests fall through to the disk. It sits between Windows file cache and your spinning disk as a kernel mode driver. It's not a replacement for Windows file cache, it's just another level below it.

@Pill Monster : I would stop fighting this one as you're not only wrong, you're becoming belligerent. I would rather you concede that you misunderstood what they were talking about and leave it at that because your posts clearly indicate that you're missing the point that they're making.

Simple fact is that the cache levels in PrimoCache are not the same thing as CPU cache. It's just confusing because Primo used the same names which only makes matters worse. I would actually read up on the very thing you're saying it isn't...

https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/term-l2cache.html
Hey man I totally missed the last part of this post yesterday, I wish I'd seen it but I was getting pretty frustrated and prob skipped it.

What you say could well be true, it may be able to cache to SSD as well, however that makes my point even more valid.

Windows already caches files to RAM, this is why I posted the screenshot yesterday with memory mapped files from Panzer Corps displayed. Those are cached files sitting in physical RAM, after opening Panzer Corps then closing it again.
It's a rough example, but one I thought was clear... Windows will keep on caching to RAM until it either runs out of space or room is needed for higher priority pages. Cache doesn't count against the system Commit Charge.

So instead of just doing the same job as Windows, Primo actually does a worse job because it's caching to SSD when Windows is already caching the files to RAM. Hence the snakeoil.

Primo has been around for years...I've been involved in a few discussions regarding it's effectiveness. I can even link you to Guru3D where Hilbert eventually chimed in and agreed it was no better than Windows' own caching.

Tbh I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my communication skills.....I can't figure out exactly what though. I wish I knew....seriously.

Using spoiler to avoid thread hijacking.

Last edited:
Oh my god. OH MY GOD. You have to populate RAM cache on EVERY system reboot. SSD cache is ready at any time. Why do people buy SSD drives if you can have HDD and it's anyway all cached to RAM? See, that logic doesn't float for long.

And while I have 32GB of RAM, most users have only like 8GB. Not enough to cache 2-3 modern games entirely and still have all the RAM available. With SSD cache, you can. I really don't understand what's so difficult to understand about SSD caching. It's a HDD that becomes nearly as fast as SSD. For lower price and higher capacity with limitation that it doesn't work straight away like SSD, but it needs 1 or 2 runs of the app first and then it's boosted permanently.

squeezehat

He always talks about B when everybody else talks about A.

Also memory mapped files don't mean files that are cached. A memory mapped file means a file that is loaded into memory by addressing it like addressing memory - or modified/saved, if you write to the mapped area.