• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy new HDD or not?

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I have two WD Black 2TB for my storage. I used to run them in RAID0. However one of the drive is starting to fail. Lots of offline uncorrectable sectors(over 200 ramped up over the course of 2 months). I have been through WD's RMA service and I knew it is too much of a hassle. So I am thinking of upgrading my storage options.

I saw this WD Black 5TB on sale at newegg. If I purchase this I will replace both of my 2TBs with just one big disk. Question is do you think the new 5TB is good enough to invest in or not? I had my fair share of OEM drives and not all of them were good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...971&cm_re=wd_black_5tb-_-22-236-971-_-Product

Thanks!

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
I used to be WD person but now I am a seagate person. One 5TB HDD is certainly better than having 2 HDD in raid 0. There is less risk of failure. The 5 years warranty for the drive is good! Rare to see that as most is 3 years only. Drive is likely to fail in year 3 of continuous use.

Just buy that drive and back up your data over as soon as you can to prevent data loss. The failing drive can be RMA, what kind of trouble are you having for RMA? We can have the WD representative in this forum to help you.

I would encourage to have two places to store your same data if you can afford.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
I used to be WD person but now I am a seagate person. One 5TB HDD is certainly better than having 2 HDD in raid 0. There is less risk of failure. The 5 years warranty for the drive is good! Rare to see that as most is 3 years only. Drive is likely to fail in year 3 of continuous use.

Just buy that drive and back up your data over as soon as you can to prevent data loss. The failing drive can be RMA, what kind of trouble are you having for RMA? We can have the WD representative in this forum to help you.

I would encourage to have two places to store your same data if you can afford.

I have a separate Seagate backup plus for safe keeping.

Last time I RMAed my WD Black 2TB they sent me a "fixed" drive which died within 2 weeks of usage. I RMAed that one again and got another used drive. Finally the rep over WD told me they will ONLY send people used/fixed drives for RMA processes. So basically it will be like a lottery hoping to get a working one. WD will never send you a brand new drive. They get your presumably "bad drive" in. The use a specialized software to permanently block damaged sectors and send it right back to the next unlucky man who requests RMA. I was fed up with their attitude and I would never go through their RMA again.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I would RMA that bad drive and buy another 2TB Black and switch that RAID-0 to RAID-5. The great thing about RAID-5 aside from redundancy is that read speeds scale like RAID-0 does, the only down side is write speeds because it has to write the extra parity information. I say this because even if you lose a drive, the RAID-5 will still work and you can still use it. If you lose a drive in your RAID-0, you might have a backup on an external drive but, it's not exactly feasible to continue using it.
Finally the rep over WD told me they will ONLY send people used/fixed drives for RMA processes.
WD puts refurb'ed drives under much more intense QA than stock drives because they need to ensure that it's working properly. I've never lost a refurb drive that I've gotten back from WD as a replacement for a drive that has failed, so don't let that discourage you. You're getting bent out of shape for no reason, WD is one of the best companies to do an RMA through for HDDs IMHO. I've never had a bad RMA experience with them and I've RMA'ed a lot of WD drives.

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Software Windows 10 HOME
I have a separate Seagate backup plus for safe keeping.

Last time I RMAed my WD Black 2TB they sent me a "fixed" drive which died within 2 weeks of usage. I RMAed that one again and got another used drive. Finally the rep over WD told me they will ONLY send people used/fixed drives for RMA processes. So basically it will be like a lottery hoping to get a working one. WD will never send you a brand new drive. They get your presumably "bad drive" in. The use a specialized software to permanently block damaged sectors and send it right back to the next unlucky man who requests RMA. I was fed up with their attitude and I would never go through their RMA again.

Most companies I know only give back refurbished parts for things that are rma. Like Aquines said their are stringently check to ensure they work. You just happen to have a bad streak for those drives it does happen for things like graphics cards and power supply. Certain batches are bad even when they are refurbished. I understand, I would get mad too in that situation. If there are many failures even after a few rma getting a person from higher up can help.

Last edited:
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Higher capacity drives tend to have higher failure rates. Isn't your intent to mitigate the damage of losing a drive, so why not go with a cheaper 2TB Black and go with RAID-5?

I am kinda afraid of the WD Black 2TB now. Too much bad luck with those black 2tb and would never ever want to deal with them again.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I am kinda afraid of the WD Black 2TB now. Too much bad luck with those black 2tb and would never ever want to deal with them again.

If you are too afraid to buy hard drives and you want to buy 1TB HDDs now, then there is nothing mroe we can offer you. We cant convince you your hard drive wont fail thats unrealistic. I also dont think anything can be said about going from a 5TB to a 1TB drive, those 2 things are so different we arent even having the same conversation as the OP any longer.

Just buy a hard drive while they are on sale.

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Software Windows 10 HOME

If that is the case you can go for that seagate. I can't guaranty if that seagate would be reliable sometimes bad batches are there. If you happen to get a good batch you would not have any failure until you retire a drive. The only way to overcome this problem is still having enough redundancy of 2 drives minimum. It is much cheaper than data loss and recovery. I still have working 320GB 5.25 inch seagate from 2007, its retire it is reliable enough. If that is anything to go by. It is a different era so can't say much. I now use a 2tb seagate external works good still. My WDs also still work.

Some say would seagate is bad or wd is bad or vice versa. Anecdotes are not data, though it can point to something. Reliable statistic for hdd data is hard to get and control for samples for the model of drives made. All brands I tried have failures. It depends on your luck hugely unless it is a well-known bad batch like deathstar drives.

Get something else beside a wd if you feel bad owning them. I did that to give peace of mind. But on a whole it is just our perceptions.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I am kinda afraid of the WD Black 2TB now.
I lost 2 of the 4, 1TB WD Blacks I have but the replacements have worked fine for years. I think you're over thinking the problem, losing one drive isn't an indicator of a problem, neither is getting refurb'ed drives back. I personally find your concerns to be unfounded and you seem to be looking backwards if you want a higher capacity drive. As I said earlier, higher capacity drives tend to have higher failure rates. At least running RAID-5 reduces the pain of losing a drive.

Use a single drive and run Crystal Disk Info as a resident program so it warns you as soon as the drive goes outside of its S.M.A.R.T. specs. HDD's are VERY unlikely to just die for no reason like SSD's, they pretty much always start acting funny and that's when Crystal Disk Info will start warning you. This is also one of the reasons why I'm hesitating to go with SSD's. They are just too unpredictable in this regard. I've seen too many horror stories where power outage killed them just like that or they simply stopped working after a reboot for apparently no reason at all. Never ever heard of anything like that with HDD drives. Eventually we'll have to go SSD anyway, but still.

As for the brand, WD Black for sure. Again, too many horror stories of Seagates dying prematurely. And those WD Blue/Green aren't any better. You hardly ever hear of a WD Black drive horror story however. So that's what I'd go for. That's what I have now as well.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
HGST Deskstar if your replacing the drive. Love them And stop buying Blacks. Its not that they are bad drives just not worth the extra cost.

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
i recommend using WD Reds, as it is designed to work 24/7.
i have a friend that uses 4x3TB reds as an external bare drive plugged in to a docking station, works no problem for at least 2 years now

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey, @xkm1948!

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with your current WD Black drives that you have in the RAID array. Unfortunately, mechanical drives are pretty sensitive and tend to be unpredictable sometimes, regardless of the brand! :( Keeping an eye on your storage devices using their manufacturer's diagnostic utilities every now and then is always a good way to avoid data loss. Either way, backups stored on multiple locations are the way to go, if you want to make sure your data is safe and sound at all times!

I can't advise you about buying and prices, however, I'd strongly recommend you to RMA your current failing WD Black. @Aquinus is right that our recertified HDDs go through a lot of extensive testing before being sent back to you. We also test how they work before shipping them. Since you already have experience with the RMA process, I guess I'll leave these links here just in case:
Warranty Policy: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=KtqU2F
WD Support contacts: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DFt9WA

As for the WD Black 5 TB model, it's slightly different than the other models from the WD Black family. You still get the 5-year limited warranty and 7,200 RPM with the dual-core processor, but you also have an increased cache size of 128 MB. This upgrade is available only for the 5 TB and the 6 TB models. The WD's Dynamic Cache Technology improves the performance in real time to allocate and optimize cache between reads and writes, which is an additional feature for these particular models. If interested, you can check more details about them here:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=jB4eFg

Hope I was helpful. Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Honestly I'm even less a fan of huge drives than I am of RAID0. All they do is ensure that WHEN a drive fails (and yes, they DO fail out of the blue sometimes) that you will lose a larger amount of data. In RAID 5/6, huge drives do nothing but increase the cost of the parity overhead.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
our recertified HDDs go through a lot of extensive testing before being sent back to you.

I've found this to be the case with every refurbished item I have ever owned. I have no problem with them as they have always worked flawlessly, unlike their "new" cousins. I even have confidence in refurbed HDD I have deliberately bought.

I'm still using a 4 year old Refurb HDD, and my motherboard is a refurbished RMA. GPU in HTPC is refurbished.

Bottom line is WD, and any other manufacturer does give alot more attention to refurbished items going out the door than they do new items. Sometimes they will fail, just like any equipment, and I feel your pain and frustration. Don't let that discourage you!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I also think the OP is forgetting the hardware failure bell curve. Most hardware either fails really early or really late in its lifetime. Considering this statement:
Last time I RMAed my WD Black 2TB they sent me a "fixed" drive which died within 2 weeks of usage.
Is a clear indicator that the OP simply got a lemon. It happens but, I feel like he's overly sensitive because spinning drives are undoubtedly components that are known to fail more often than any other component in a computer. There is a reason why Blacks have a 5 year warranty. What the OP experienced is unusual, even more so for a refurb drive. Honestly, if you can't trust WD, you really can't trust HDDs at all. I would make the argument that WD is the best HDD manufacturer to date after working a lot with Seagate and Hitachi. I don't say this lightly as I tend to now buy strictly WD when it comes to HDDs. The fact that I can do an advance RMA and have a new drive at my door step in 2 days is called service.

I'm not going to deny that the OP's experience was bad but, consider this. I lost two drives in my RAID 5 when I bought two new 1TB drives. I almost lost my RAID as a result but, I don't blame WD for them going foobar because I have realistic expectations for a computer component with moving parts. Not only that but, they both failed within a week of buying them. In fact I would blame myself for not testing them before putting them in my array. Anything with moving parts is going to be more prone to failure but, the simple fact is that when you don't get a lemon from WD, they're great drives that last for a long time.

So consider this:
  1. Hard drives fail more often than any other component.
  2. WD Blacks have a 5 year warranty.
  3. WD's RMA process, for me, has been flawless.
  4. I've never lost a refurbished drive from WD with less than 40,000 hours of up time.
I'll leave this here, for anyone who gets pissed off that hardware fails early in its life. Welcome to reality, get over it. It's half of the reason why I suggested RAID-5 in the first place. Shit happens, be prepared for it.
1236px-Bathtub_curve.svg.png

Edit: Also, by buying a higher capacity drive, the OP is basically saying, "My drive failed but, I want a drive that's more likely to fail instead." That's what getting a higher capacity drive is basically doing. So for what it's worth, I have a 1TB green that is still running strong that has 47k hours of up time on it. It's sitting in my gateway server still chugging away.

Last edited:
I thought HGST only manufactured Ultrastars now and Toshiba acquired the Deskstar line?

Yeah I have no Idea, The name has been passed around so much I cant keep up. But the Hitachi 3Tb and 4Tb drives are in the 98% range of still running. So its what Ive been buying lately.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I thought HGST only manufactured Ultrastars now and Toshiba acquired the Deskstar line?

WD owns Hitachi's 2.5" assets. Toshiba owns Hitachi's 3.5" assets.

They're all still Hitachi drives, and are still made in the same Hitachi (HGST) factories. Just a different name above the "Owner" door.

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
Go with Seagate Barracuda,with one platan,not 2 like WD or other's brands :)

WD are not anymore good,like old time ..:(

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Go with Seagate Barracuda,with one platan,not 2 like WD or other's brands

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

Are you implying that Seagate's HDD's are a single platter, while competitors are multiple platter? If so, you're incorrect. Well, depending on HDD capacity anyway.

More info: Seagate's Barracuda 1TB and Western Digital's Blue 1TB drives both utilise single platter technologies. You just need to buy the ones with specific model numbers. Any drive above 1TB uses a multi-platter design.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
WD are not anymore good,like old time ..:(
Anecdotes isn't what I would consider evidence.
Code:
$ sudo smartctl -A /dev/sdc
smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [x86_64-linux-3.2.0-4-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   184   131   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5783
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       1562
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   036   036   000    Old_age   Always       -       47017
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       1425
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       245
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1560
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   115   103   000    Old_age   Always       -       35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   051    Old_age   Offline      -       0

WD makes fine hardware. People blame hard drive manufacturers when HDDs fail too often. All it takes is your package getting dropped by the mail man to damage a drive.