• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Counters GameWorks with GPUOpen, Leverages Open-Source

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD is in no mood to let NVIDIA run away with the PC graphics market, with its GameWorks SDK that speeds up PC graphics development (in turn increasing NVIDIA's influence over the game development, in a predominantly AMD GCN driven client base (20% PC graphics market-share, and 100% game console market share). AMD's counter to GameWorks is GPUOpen, with the "open" referring to "open-source."

GPUOpen is a vast set of pre-developed visual-effects, tools, libraries, and SDKs, designed to give developers "unprecedented control" over the GPU, helping them get their software closer to the metal than any other software can. The idea here is that an NVIDIA GameWorks designed title won't get you as "close" to the metal on machines such as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, or PCs with Radeon GPUs, as GPUOpen. Getting "close to the metal" is defined as directly leveraging features exposed by the GPU, with as few software layers between the app and the hardware as possible.

AMD plans to put its GPUOpen resources on GitHub as early as January 2016, with its very own portal. This will give developers access to open-source content (stuff that they can implement in their own projects with as little legal voodoo as possible, blog-posts.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Oh yeah, I can sense the mobilization of the troops...

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing. On the face of it, looks positive. But if you consider some of the horrendous gfx glitches and problems some Gameworks titles have had, with Nvidia actively supporting, you have to think it needs a lot of support.
You could get some developers ramping in too many or conflicting effects without the required QC. Gameworks, laughably ironic, benefit is support in development, can AMD offer the same?
Regardless, I can see the draw for devs, given the hardware inside all consoles. Just hope its utilised well and if it is and it hamstrings Nvidia, well, that'll be an interesting 'poo storm'.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing. On the face of it, looks positive. But if you consider some of the horrendous gfx glitches and problems some Gameworks titles have had, with Nvidia actively supporting, you have to think it needs a lot of support.
You could get some developers ramping in too many or conflicting effects without the required QC. Gameworks, laughably ironic, benefit is support in development, can AMD offer the same?
Regardless, I can see the draw for devs, given the hardware inside all consoles. Just hope its utilised well and if it is and it hamstrings Nvidia, well, that'll be an interesting 'poo storm'.

At least in most titles, you can turn the effects off. Or at least most of them. Batman and Witcher seemed to have options to kill them entirely. I'll probably do the same for AMD related effects.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
That's probably the crux of the matter. By dumping in the lap of game developers, you have to trust the devs to 1. Actually spend time, effort, and cash to integrate the features, and 2. Get the QA right. Given how many big studio titles are launched in a half-assed state with mega-patches almost the norm, I'm firmly in the " Believe it when I see it" camp. Game developers can't seem to get a polished game out using some pretty ancient game engines that are a known quantity. I don't have much faith that giving them more responsibility - either through features, or API, will improve the situation unfortunately.
Should be enough in the features to satisfy the big studios - whose end credits take longer to roll than the game does to play, but I'm not so sure about the smaller studios - those with more likelihood of producing an actual interesting game that isn't just a re-skin of last years corridor shooter.

AMD will still create these frameworks, but they will be open source, meaning anyone will be able to use them in any way they like. Unlike NVIDIA's GameWorks which is a proprietary framework with limited "functionality". You can use it to easily create a certain effect like hair or water, but you can't really modify it to achieve something a bit different or for a different purpose. Or different hardware...

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
about time! good work AMD! Although myself would have liked to see this being part of extended Vulkan or DX API for that matter... but good, that AMD finally woke up.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I think its great that AMD is going open source with their alternative to gameworks, Now its all up to the developers to take advantage of it, even without having to pay money.

We still have to remember that pc gaming is the underdog in the gaming world, and since AMD have 100% consoles then it might fly faster than any of us really think which means gameworks will be left behind in the dust, just like Nvidias Physx.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
Every time i see some thing like this all i hope is that it shifts market shares closer to 50/50, seeing as that will benefit me most, i am fanboy of myself.

I think its great that AMD is going open source with their alternative to gameworks, Now its all up to the developers to take advantage of it, even without having to pay money.

We still have to remember that pc gaming is the underdog in the gaming world, and since AMD have 100% consoles then it might fly faster than any of us really think which means gameworks will be left behind in the dust, just like Nvidias Physx.

Main reason is for features to become core element. For as long as hardware accelerate physics do not become a norm, we won't see game changing physics beyond just eye candy.

CPU physics took a while but since it works the same on all CPU's, games like Half-Life 2 could use it for puzzles or just more realistic feel of the entire game (floating corpses and objects, zombie splitting and fragmentation, ragdolls, objects collision and friction etc). PhysX on the other hand is only accelerated by one type of GPU (NVIDIA). Meaning developers cannot and will not afford losing customers by creating a NVIDIA only game. Especially not today when AMD is holding 100% of the console market. Meaning physics won't evolve anywhere. However, since GPUOpen is open and runs on all GPU's, we might see a breakthrough. We might see new unique games where physics are game's core element. Something you can't create with CPU physics.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
At least in most titles, you can turn the effects off. Or at least most of them. Batman and Witcher seemed to have options to kill them entirely. I'll probably do the same for AMD related effects.
You can turn off hairworks. Gameworks itself being the SDK is what makes the entire game tick, you can't turn that off. It's like saying you can turn off UE4 on a UE4 engine game.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
this is going to be great.

You can turn off hairworks. Gameworks itself being the SDK is what makes the entire game tick, you can't turn that off. It's like saying you can turn off UE4 on a UE4 engine game.

Not really. Frameworks are predesigned functions to achieve a specific result. HairWorks is only concerned with realistic hair animation. If you turn it off, entire game will work just fine. You'll just have static hair or less realistic. Which is no the same as removing a part of a game engine.

Though, engine itself can provide such framework by itself and be fully independent. Unreal Engine has bunch of stuff that helps you create content faster (like terrain and props manipulation). Stuff like HairWorks or TressFX is even further more specific feature.

Imagine these frameworks as modules that you add to a core functionality. It's easier to add pre-made modules than build them from ground up from scratch. That's why they exist.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Doubt AMD could have done anything but Open Source. One they have a history of doing it and two, they aren't big enough in market share to be picky.

one word: sweet!
once the bullet 3 gpu pipeline hits a stable state we will finally have a completely opensource alternative to gamesometimesworks.
i just hope developers start to use this, integration into a ready engine like ue4 or pyrogenesis could get the ball moving in the right direction

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
That's probably the crux of the matter. By dumping in the lap of game developers, you have to trust the devs to 1. Actually spend time, effort, and cash to integrate the features, and 2. Get the QA right. Given how many big studio titles are launched in a half-assed state with mega-patches almost the norm, I'm firmly in the " Believe it when I see it" camp. Game developers can't seem to get a polished game out using some pretty ancient game engines that are a known quantity. I don't have much faith that giving them more responsibility - either through features, or API, will improve the situation unfortunately.

It says "developers" but I don't think it means the developers you mean.
There are developers who develop frameworks such as "Unity", "Unreal" etc. (most are multi-platform, including Xbone, PS4 where CGN reigns supreme)

Most of the other developers just use what guys mentioned above have developed. They don't really go too deep into "to the metal" levels.

The best part of this initiative is that it could be supported on nVidia, also barring proprietary "let me leverage my market position" things like Gameworks.

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Damn, GPUOpen not released yet but 53% already hyping it.

Hypes so far:

Fusion failed.
Bulldozer failed.
Mantle failed. (HD 7850 w/ Mantle will be faster than Titan)
Fiji failed. (40% faster than Titan X)

AMD will still create these frameworks, but they will be open source, meaning anyone will be able to use them in any way they like. Unlike NVIDIA's GameWorks which is a proprietary framework with limited "functionality". You can use it to easily create a certain effect like hair or water, but you can't really modify it to achieve something a bit different or for a different purpose. Or different hardware...

This opensource myth must die. How many games using TressFX, Mantle, and other stuff? 5000-6000?

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
trying to debug code that uses blackboxes is a pita... if you can drop behind the curtain and see what is happening you can fix your shit.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
There has been a lot of debate on this on many sites over the last couple days, and the general consensus is: Good going AMD, finally making good on things that should have been delivered years ago to the devs, community, and to show a unifying support for everyone, and hell.... it could have prevented some of the issues we had and have.

That being said, it needs a major kick in the pants to get moving, so they need to throw some hardware at people to ensure that some community devs will use it and get some awesome payback for it. Make X demo or game on any GPU and we will give you a new free GPU for the next two generations as long as your project works and source code is made available for others to build on.

TJccBR

Damn, GPUOpen not released yet but 53% already hyping it.

Hypes so far:

Fusion failed.
Bulldozer failed.
Mantle failed. (HD 7850 w/ Mantle will be faster than Titan)
Fiji failed. (40% faster than Titan X)

This opensource myth must die. How many games using TressFX, Mantle, and other stuff? 5000-6000?

Man, look at the bright side of things:

FUSION= APUs, since AMD put they on the market, Intel increased their R&D on GPUs thorough the roof.
Bulldozer= Focus on multi thread computing, maybe not the best IPC, but does what promises for really affordable price point.
Mantle= Low level access for GPUs, without Mantle theres is no DX12 or Vulkan.
Fiji= Introduction to HBM, Fury X was meant to be on top of the GTX 980, if Nvidia released the 980ti 2 weeks after the FuryX, the asking price would be lower ($550~600, just like the R9 290X).
opensource myth must die??? Are crazy? Do you understand what are you saying? No comment here.

Look man, tell me, why you buy Nvidia cards?

*The best value card on the high end market right now is the 390X, nV offers are overpriced.
*AMD cards output higher color bits, Radeon HDRI/HDR engine is by Native 128bit, but nV is 24bit.
*D3D11 rendering on AMD cards is true 32bit. since the GTX700 nV only uses 24bit.
*AMD have all around better optimized AA, nV FXAA is a joke.
*FreeSync Monitors are more cheap and deliver a better result, and you have choice, Gsync begs for you to turn on Vsync in your games, instead AMD give you a frame limiter that don`t mess with your input lag.
*nV don`t care about VR, AMD develop and support LiquidVR.
*AMD don`t release 3.5Gb +500Mb cards and advertise like it has a full 4GB (GTX970 I am looking at you).
*AMD don`t release drivers to lower performance on older cards just to promote the new line up.
*And they sure don`t release and promote proprietary code that crash games (GameWorks)
*But nVidia does great things to!

So put some faith on the AMD guys, they are apparently the only ones pushing PC gaming forward or they have a really good PR department.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This image never gets old because NVIDIA keeps proving it true:

I applaud AMD, again, for doing the right thing.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

I think it's a good thing. However, Like @RCoon said, as long as you can turn them off. Hell, IMHO, GameWorks hasn't worked out real well for Nvidia either, with most Nvidia owners also having to turn either most or all the package off in order to max out textures and such.

@Aquinus, actually, in Arkham Knight, for instance, you can turn every one of the elements off or on individually for the Gameworks package. The settings even point out which are Gameworks. Turning them all off except for the special light rays is what allowed me to crank up the settings and play the game smoothly without a crash.

System Name Buffyvpsfan
Processor i7 5820k oc 4.3ghz
Motherboard MSI gaming 7 X99
Cooling NZXT H41 single radiator
Memory 16gb ddr4
Video Card(s) asus gtx 970 4gb GDDR5
Storage samsung evo 840 120gb ssd, 1 tb HDD
Display(s) Acer XR341CK
Case NZXT h440 red
Power Supply 1200 crosair
so glad i jumped to amd, got sick of putting up with nvidia proprietary closed nature. go AMD for open source!!!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
I'd be excited if they'd made their drivers and all related software open source.