• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Nightblade MI2 GAMING PC

cadaveca

My name is Dave
350W? 10 Litres? What sort of power can you get inside that space? MSI's Nightblade MI2 answers both those questions in a very surprising way. Packing a GTX970, Skylake CPU, DDR4, M.2 SSD, and a built-in optical drive, the MSI Nightblade MI2 is a fully 1080p-capable GAMING PC you can lug around under your arm.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I wonder if this board supports BCLK overclocking.

Lack of temperature and noise data makes this review far less useful than it could be.

Indeed. Ive been using multiple ITX cases and configurations and I can tell from experience that small laptop fan + small psu fan are gonna be painfully loud under load and propably wont live long because of the high temperatures if you are using the same components as in the review. An ideal processor would be a non K i5 plus a GTX950/960 so the PSU wont blow up.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Lack of temperature and noise data makes this review far less useful than it could be.
You didn't read the review then.

Combined with the fan pictured above and my test-bench's Intel i7-6700K, I rarely heard this constellation produce any noise at all, with just the occasional blast of air being shot out the back of the Nightblade MI2

But no BCLK OC at the time of testing, and I'm not interested in OC either, given the power numbers and performance.

Indeed. Ive been using multiple ITX cases and configurations and I can tell from experience that small laptop fan + small psu fan are gonna be painfully loud under load and propably wont live long because of the high temperatures if you are using the same components as in the review. An ideal processor would be a non K i5 plus a GTX950/960 so the PSU wont blow up.

As for you...

Power numbers from the wall were pretty decent. Even with ridiculous loads such a system would never see during normal use, the maximum power I could get my chosen configuration to pull was 304 W. A couple more drives might make those numbers go up just a bit, but we're talking about a mechanical and an M.2 SSD as the only possible options. I used an MSI GAMING GTX 970 and an Intel i7-6700K as well as two 8 GB SO-DIMMs (the maximum supported is 32 GB), so any configuration below these specs should have no problems whatsoever in running for a long time without stressing FPS's 350W power supply.

:slap::laugh:

Swapping down to the 65W 6700 would drop that power by likely 20-30W, again, as mentioned in the review...? I put in the 6600 and saw power drop that much. No need to drop down from GTX970, do it on the CPU and you'll have no problems. I use this thing daily... typing from it now.

You guys need to realize that like 200W of that 304W maximum I got out of this rig is from the GPU, and that a 65W CPU at stock doesn't need that much cooling, nor does it heat the insides of the case very much. Also, since the GPU is kind of in its own area, and easily gets fresh air form the side vents, while having a cooler that normally doesn't even spin often, there is very little noise to be had, and very little heat. Current modern Intel and NVidia hardware simply does not draw that much power so as to need fans blazing 24-7.

Now, I'll admit, before I got this rig up and running, I thought exactly as you did. Then I built it up, used it, and was left impressed. Yet at the same time, I have a rig with 6700K and dual 980's, and even that rig barely makes any noise... playing BF4 on the dual 980's the fans barely even move. The MSI GAMING GTX970 is similar. Also, since this is a barebones unit, the amount of heat and noise will lessen considerably when you put in hardware that consumes even less power. I don't see any reason to include in-depth data about power use and noise levels when such things aren't dictated by the stock configuration... it's all about what hardware you decide to put in it.

Last edited:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Maybe just buy a Dan A4 SFX once it comes out and not be limited by PSU.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
...the maximum power I could get my chosen configuration to pull was 304 W. I used an MSI GAMING GTX 970 and an Intel i7-6700K as well as two 8 GB SO-DIMMs (the maximum supported is 32 GB), so any configuration below these specs should have no problems whatsoever in running for a long time without stressing FPS's 350W power supply.
Seriously considering making that my signature, for all the people who think you NEED a 750 watt PSU for a "standard" gaming system.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Ooohhh I like. More specs on the PSU would be nice, but it's FSP so it'll be ok.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Maybe just buy a Dan A4 SFX once it comes out and not be limited by PSU.

Meh. I'd grab the other MSI barebones with 650W PSU and not be limited if that's what I wanted. The point isn't shoving the greatest amount of power into the smallest space, it's about having an effective solution highly capable @ 1080P/1200P gaming, while minimizing the desktop footprint. So you're not really limited by the PSU in any way here, the way I see it.

Seriously considering making that my signature, for all the people who think you NEED a 750 watt PSU for a "standard" gaming system.

My Skylake/Dual GTX980 rig won't go over 535W. So yeah, power requirements are not the same as the used to be, even with multiple GPUs.

You guys need to realize that like 200W of that 304W maximum I got out of this rig is from the GPU, and that a 65W CPU at stock doesn't need that much cooling, nor does it heat the insides of the case very much. Also, since the GPU is kind of in its own area, and easily gets fresh air form the side vents, while having a cooler that normally doesn't even spin often, there is very little noise to be had, and very little heat.

Then im sure you wouldnt mind providing us with the temperature readings while under load? From the screenshots of the BIOS people can clearly see that processor is idling at 45C.

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
Then im sure you wouldnt mind providing us with the temperature readings while under load? From the screenshots of the BIOS people can clearly see that processor is idling at 45C.

Good CPU cooler or not - we 're still dealing with the same problem as with Ivy Bridge and Haswell here. Furthermore there is no OC involved and that means temps below Tmax are fine as long as the fan isn't making a ruckus but stays silent and no throtteling is happening.

There was an interview with Intel guys developing Devils Canyon on TH very interesting - at leasts some parts. What they found was that as long as Haswell stayed below 80°C (don't remember the exact value) OC capabilities were not impacted.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
You didn't read the review then.

I did, and a single sentence commenting on the perceived thermal and acoustic characteristics of the system is nowhere near the hard numbers that I'd need to determine whether or not I'd be willing to buy it. You ran benchmarks, why couldn't you run Core Temp and GPU-Z at the same time and at least give us those temperature readings? I'm not expecting you to run your tests in a dedicated anechoic chamber at a constant 25 degrees ambient, I'm just asking for what in my opinion is some very basic yet critical information - especially in a small-form-factor system that is implicitly thermally constrained due to its size.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I did, and a single sentence commenting on the perceived thermal and acoustic characteristics of the system is nowhere near the hard numbers that I'd need to determine whether or not I'd be willing to buy it. You ran benchmarks, why couldn't you run Core Temp and GPU-Z at the same time and at least give us those temperature readings? I'm not expecting you to run your tests in a dedicated anechoic chamber at a constant 25 degrees ambient, I'm just asking for what in my opinion is some very basic yet critical information - especially in a small-form-factor system that is implicitly thermally constrained due to its size.

IF thermals were an issue, I'd have reported it. I'm only concerned with throttling, since there are zero clock/voltage controls within BIOS (which also means there is ZERO you can do about it other than adjusting the fan curve). And given that a 6700K doesn't come with a cooler, actual load temps of any particular CPU is not relatable, since there is no "stock" cooling. So I didn't care about temperatures. I understand where you are coming from for sure, but again, it really depends on what CPU you install. I heard the fan only occasionally. The CPU did not throttle. That means it was somewhere under 95C, and that the fan did not run constantly.

Actually, for the tested configuration, I would mind, since I don't record temperatures other than to monitor throttle, and currently a 65W i5-6600 is installed into it, not the reviewed 91W i7-6700k. I'll take the hour plus to pull the whole thing apart, change the thermal paste and CPU, run tests, then swap out the CPU again back to its current configuration, just for you. And how, exactly, are you going to compensate me for the time to do so? Do keep in mind I do reviews as a hobbyist, not a "professional". That means there are no standards I have to adhere to, and I get to make my own judgement calls as to what data I include or not. I did also finish this review before Christmas.

I also suppose you'd want me to then use the thermal paste that came in the box... whoops.... that's gone...

Skylake isn't Haswell, and doesn't run very hot. I barely break 60c @ stock under an H90 on my personal (retail, non ES) 6700K.

If I seem a bit aloof about this, it's because I really would report any problems with temperatures. Neither the GPU or CPU I used to test throttled, and honestly, I was more concerned about power usage rather than temperatures. I also had in my mind "regular" users, who for the most part don't care about system noise. I have talked to countless students at school and other "normal" people, and the things that they care about aren't the same as what "enthusiasts" care about. I'm more concerned with the thoughts and ideas that those general users, since getting non-PC users to buy a PC is better than for the industry than catering to enthusiasts who are going to buy stuff anyway. Other people will complain about the use of "gaming" being used in naming, but I applaud it, as it gets the point across to those that don't know the specifics like you would. So as much as you might not like it, an enthusiast's opinion isn't that important, really, when it comes to a product like this.

Last edited:
Actually, for the tested configuration, I would mind, since I don't record temperatures other than to monitor throttle

Normal ATX cases has sufficiant airflow as standart. Unfortunally some ITX case don't and the airflow is very restricted. To have stable and long lasting system is to have a good balance with components that can manage with the airflow restrictions by not having them running too hot everytime you open up a game. Sure they wont throttle but as stated they wont last and and im especially worried about the small PSU in circulating that heat and running at a 90% load at the same time.

...and currently a 65W i5-6600 is installed into it, not the reviewed 91W i7-6700k. I'll take the hour plus to pull the whole thing apart, change the thermal paste and CPU, run tests, then swap out the CPU again back to its current configuration, just for you. And how, exactly, are you going to compensate me for the time to do so?

I also suppose you'd want me to then use the thermal paste that came in the box... whoops.... that's gone...

Im fine with the readings of that i5 and GPU. That'll give me a pretty good picture of what the airflow is through out that system. I dont know where you got the idea that im expecting you to take apart the system to change the CPU. You stated that the CPU has been changed and my response would have been the same. Somehow I get the feeling youre trying to take this conversation elsewhere with some pretty bizzare accusations of me expecting you to do stuff and then elaborating way too much.

Do keep in mind I do reviews as a hobbyist, not a "professional". That means there are no standards I have to adhere to, and I get to make my own judgement calls as to what data I include or not.

But this is basic information every system builder wants to know. What are the thermal limits of product and what can I build in it. In this case it happens to favor the manufacturer to leave such information out. Remember that ASRock M8 that you reviewed a year ago? Other websites and reviewers called out the significant thermal and acoustic issues of that system but youre conclusion was:

"So, where are the benchmarks, you might ask? With as many CPU and VGA options on the market today, there's simply no point in posting any. Whether you want to use the Pentium G3258 or the high-end I7-4790K, the BIOS is ready to rock, and if you want to use the Z97 M8 as a workstation with a XEON CPU, you can do that too. Maybe you need a R9 290X, a GTX980, or a TITAN for gaming performance, or just the on-board GPU capabilities pretty much all LGA 1150 CPUs provide - this isn't a system set to a specific level performance; it's all up to you and the parts you choose to install."

I may have skipped a page or two but didnt see any mention of these significant thermal and acoustic issues. What you are basicly doing is throwing around high end hardware names like buzzwords to give the reader the wrong idea what hardware they can use with that system. Granted you did mention the "PSU can generate a fair amount of noise under high load" but thats because of the bad airflow and the PSU was designed to be an exhaust. Thats pretty desperate imo.

If I seem a bit aloof about this, it's because I really would report any problems with temperatures. Neither the GPU or CPU I used to test throttled, and honestly, I was more concerned about power usage rather than temperatures. I also had in my mind "regular" users, who for the most part don't care about system noise. I have talked to countless students at school and other "normal" people, and the things that they care about aren't the same as what "enthusiasts" care about. I'm more concerned with the thoughts and ideas that those general users, since getting non-PC users to buy a PC is better than for the industry than catering to enthusiasts who are going to buy stuff anyway. Other people will complain about the use of "gaming" being used in naming, but I applaud it, as it gets the point across to those that don't know the specifics like you would. So as much as you might not like it, an enthusiast's opinion isn't that important, really, when it comes to a product like this.

Ill be brief since I have 5 minutes to respond to this.

If you dont add basic thermal and acoustic information to the review, the regular users will find out the hardway what not to use with these ITX barebone enclosers. The evil corporate overlords might want that because thats money in their pockets but you as a review have a responsability to test and advice what components people should use to have a long lasting and stable system. I must admit I am a silent freak myself but system noise should be a factor because these systems most likely end up in the living room (or atleast a few). I am an enthusiast and my opinion might not be that important but with these small and very air restricted system the information is. Thats all I ask in future reviews.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Normal ATX cases has sufficiant airflow as standart. Unfortunally some ITX case don't and the airflow is very restricted. To have stable and long lasting system is to have a good balance with components that can manage with the airflow restrictions by not having them running too hot everytime you open up a game. Sure they wont throttle but as stated they wont last and and im especially worried about the small PSU in circulating that heat and running at a 90% load at the same time.

You bet. Fortunately, since the case has such a small area (10 litres), it's quite simple to maintain constant fresh air in the system. Since the system is focused on gaming, and not compute, that means that we're really talking about nearly all of that 300W I got mine to pull from the wall.

Im fine with the readings of that i5 and GPU. That'll give me a pretty good picture of what the airflow is through out that system. I dont know where you got the idea that im expecting you to take apart the system to change the CPU. You stated that the CPU has been changed and my response would have been the same. Somehow I get the feeling youre trying to take this conversation elsewhere with some pretty bizzare accusations of me expecting you to do stuff and then elaborating way too much.

Nah. I mean exactly what I said, and nothing more. I'm not one to mince words too much, but it seems some people think otherwise often. I'm quite blunt, and that doesn't always go over well. :p I'm aware of it, but no one's perfect. :p

But this is basic information every system builder wants to know. What are the thermal limits of product and what can I build in it. In this case it happens to favor the manufacturer to leave such information out. Remember that ASRock M8 that you reviewed a year ago? Other websites and reviewers called out the significant thermal and acoustic issues of that system but youre conclusion was:

"So, where are the benchmarks, you might ask? With as many CPU and VGA options on the market today, there's simply no point in posting any. Whether you want to use the Pentium G3258 or the high-end I7-4790K, the BIOS is ready to rock, and if you want to use the Z97 M8 as a workstation with a XEON CPU, you can do that too. Maybe you need a R9 290X, a GTX980, or a TITAN for gaming performance, or just the on-board GPU capabilities pretty much all LGA 1150 CPUs provide - this isn't a system set to a specific level performance; it's all up to you and the parts you choose to install."

I may have skipped a page or two but didnt see any mention of these significant thermal and acoustic issues. What you are basicly doing is throwing around high end hardware names like buzzwords to give the reader the wrong idea what hardware they can use with that system. Granted you did mention the "PSU can generate a fair amount of noise under high load" but thats because of the bad airflow and the PSU was designed to be an exhaust. Thats pretty desperate imo.

Actually, I mentioned that the PSU fan in that case was a problem, both in the review and the conclusion, IIRC. I used a VGA with a blower fan myself, and that system still sits today as it did when I tested it, in use by my youngest daughter. Still kicking it pretty decently, too. Like, that's what's different about me and most other reviewers... I'm not selling the stuff I get ASAP to make money. I actually use it, and for extended periods, so sometimes my thoughts about a product are different because I didn't just fire a rig up, test, and then dismantle and sell. I really do set up each motherboard and use it for a couple of weeks, at least, and this sometimes means that I review some products later, with different ideas. I do also show nearly all products to my friends locally, and ask them what they think. Their opinion matter a lot.

Ill be brief since I have 5 minutes to respond to this.

If you dont add basic thermal and acoustic information to the review, the regular users will find out the hardway what not to use with these ITX barebone enclosers. The evil corporate overlords might want that because thats money in their pockets but you as a review have a responsability to test and advice what components people should use to have a long lasting and stable system. I must admit I am a silent freak myself but system noise should be a factor because these systems most likely end up in the living room (or atleast a few). I am an enthusiast and my opinion might not be that important but with these small and very air restricted system the information is. Thats all I ask in future reviews.

If a company wants a specific conclusion, they can bite me. I really do talk to a lot of people who don't care aobut such things. I look at it this way, to give some perspective; Son'y original PS3s, both the 60 GB, and then the 80 GB were horrible for noise. I have one of each. There were many complaints online. Yet these units still sold in the millions. XBOX 360 was notorious for the RROD... yet they still sold. PS3's died and new ones were bought, but Microsoft literally ended up replacing nearly every launch unit. Today, nobody cares about either. I'm still using my 80 GB PS3. And the MSI GAMING MI2. It's a device for gaming, so the true end user this box was for should be using it for gaming. I 100% agree with everything you've said, no question, except as you've mentioned, you're into silence. You want you stuff to last. There area wide variety of users out there, and not al ldevices can cater to everyone. For noise, because I do not have a sound level meter handy, I can only report subjectively. A good sound meter costs thousands, and I have been formally trained to use one, but as a hobbyist, it isn't something I can afford. As to temperatures, I'll have some screenshots for you, but it won't be something I'm overly interested in focusing on, unless I find it a problem. I really feel that it's added data that is a waste of my time to highlight when not problematic. Most people don't read much more than the first and last pages of a review, so if there are problems with something, I do have to cover it somewhere in those two pages, in the least.

EDIT:

Load temps running wPrime 1024M looped for 10 loops are:

drum roll, please..... 65c.

ROFL.

(CPU is pulling about 50W, tested in other system)

If you want some gaming load temps, let me know. Please do keep in mind that's we are talking about when it comes to a Skylake CPU; 50W. It's not hard to cool 50W.

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Dave, did I miss it? Do you mention what PCI-e connectors are available from the PSU? With the GTX 1070/1080's and their 8 pin connector, I was wondering if those are 6 or 6+2 pin connectors.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Dave, did I miss it? Do you mention what PCI-e connectors are available from the PSU? With the GTX 1070/1080's and their 8 pin connector, I was wondering if those are 6 or 6+2 pin connectors.
Both connectors are 6+2-pin type (8-pin). If it had been anything less I would have mentioned it, as it might limit what type of GTX970 you use (some are dual 8-pin)

protonwrangler

I'm trying to understand the airflow, particularly for the graphics card. I checked the MSI website and looked at your photos.

It looks like there's no intake fan. From what I can see the graphics card can draw air in through the right side perforations, then it's blown around and depends on the power supply fan and the cpu heatsink blower to exhaust this air. Is that pretty much it? This is something I wouldn't expect to work too well, but maybe the cpu blower moves enough air to be practical.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm trying to understand the airflow, particularly for the graphics card. I checked the MSI website and looked at your photos.

It looks like there's no intake fan. From what I can see the graphics card can draw air in through the right side perforations, then it's blown around and depends on the power supply fan and the cpu heatsink blower to exhaust this air. Is that pretty much it? This is something I wouldn't expect to work too well, but maybe the cpu blower moves enough air to be practical.
Yeah, it all up to the CPU blower to remove the air from the case, and it does manage to do so quite well. So much so that temperatures are really decent, and the system is nearly silent.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about the design myself at first, but now after having had the system running in my house for several months, I love it more than ever. You do also need to keep in mind that since there is no overclocking available, if you chose 65W CPU and the GTX970, there is actually quite low power consumption, and thereby, very little cooling needed.

Just got this machine, do you think the psu be OK if I use 256gb m.2 and a 480gb ssd and two 8tb 3.5" drives in the machine? Currently running it with gtx 970 but planning maybe get the gtx 1070 or the new amd rx480

Not sure if this is gonna overload it, the 3.5" drives are gonna be just for movies for plex so not sure if go for wd black or wd green drives

Enjoyed your review as it's what made me purchase this machine and I still can't get over how small this machine really it, it's scary what can be crammed into such a small space

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah man, stuff it to the gills. You'd have to be using the maximum of every device in order to potentially have any problems, you'd think.

If you got a 65W CPU as I suggested in the review, then you should be fine.

BTW, when you get it all built up, let us know what you think about the noise levels... or lack thereof. ;)

Your a star and yes I will report back on the noise, just had my 16gb crucial ram come through as I don't think I'd see a huge diffrent from CL15 ram or CL13 "hyper x ram" or even notice the difference apart from price ;)

What drives do your recommend for 3.5" as trying decide if WD black or green as it basically only be for movies for plex that is all, as i got the 480gb ssd for my "general downloaded/junk files" and the m.2 for the OS and apps etc

And trying decide if get a geforce 1070 or wait for the amd rx480 as I will only be running one monitor for gaming at 1080p so not sure if the geforce 1070 is gonna end up being a overkill :roll:

Once again thank you and helping me decide on this machine :toast:

Amazing people say you need powerful PSU's for this kinda hardware..... but its been proven you actually don't at all :peace:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
New hardware within the last 12 months+ doesn't need big PSU power. IN the past, fi you wanted to push high OC, yeah, you needed some PSU grunt.

For videos and such, green drives are fine, and they use less power and make less noise than the blacks (I have both). Ram difference is small too, for sure.

GTX970 is pretty good for 1080P for most stuff, so I imagine 1070 will be fantastic.

OK i will get two 6tb green drives ordered as I don't think they do the green in 8tb o_O

Do you not recommend the new amd rx480 then? as I don't want to go overkill on a top card to find I never use it fully with 4k monitor or multiple monitor setup :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I can't say much about RX480 since I know nothing about it yet. Have to wait until W1zz reviews it before I can get a decent opinion of my own.

OK brilliant can't wait, oh is it worth fitting a fan to the front inside the case if this is possible, swear on msi site it looks like a fan is in the front part of the chamber air flow but nothing in mine on the front even though looks like could be possible