• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Gaming Is Dying.....

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
It's hardly a monopoly. They have a sizable portion, but monopoly? No.
Sizable portion? Is that how you refer to about 70% (if not more) of the market?

My point about "why does Valve deserve 30% of revenue, if Microsoft/Sony don't" stands anyway.

System Name PC ?
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 64gb of G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 / CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX NITRO+
Storage C:/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB - D:/7TB of Storage (WD-Bx2) - X:/Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 57"
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio CXA60 + Klipsch RP-160M
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000TR
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G Pro Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
Sizable portion? Is that how you refer to about 70% (if not more) of the market?

My point about "why does Valve deserve 30% of revenue, if Microsoft/Sony don't" stands anyway.

70% of the market cuz it great,

PC = Origin , UPLAY , Steam, GOG.com,Battle.net, and many Resellers, aka G2A, GMG.

On Consoles, you have no choice.

A monopoly (from Greek μόνος mónos ("alone" or "single") and πωλεῖν pōleîn ("to sell")) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity (this contrasts with a monopsony which relates to a single entity's control of a market to purchase a good or service, and with oligopoly which consists of a few entities dominating an industry).[2] Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service, a lack of viable substitute goods, and the possibility of a high monopoly price well above the firm's marginal cost that leads to a high monopoly profit.[3] The verb monopolise or monopolizerefers to the process by which a company gains the ability to raise prices or exclude competitors. In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power to charge overly high prices.[4] Although monopolies may be big businesses, size is not a characteristic of a monopoly. A small business may still have the power to raise prices in a small industry (or market).[4]
A monopoly is distinguished from a monopsony, in which there is only one buyer of a product or service; a monopoly may also have monopsony control of a sector of a market. Likewise, a monopoly should be distinguished from a cartel (a form of oligopoly), in which several providers act together to coordinate services, prices or sale of goods. Monopolies, monopsonies and oligopolies are all situations such that one or a few of the entities have market power and therefore interact with their customers (monopoly), suppliers (monopsony) and the other companies (oligopoly) in ways that leave market interactions distorted.[citation needed]

Last edited:
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
The question to me is why hasnt Valve pushed the Source engine harder and take something close to a real monopoly. Well shit they tried to advance gaming faster using the technology AMD has been getting grey hairs over. They deserve the money they get from the business model they have and for a long history of being good for pc gaming. If Vulcan works out for the SteamOS with the same games as the consoles many people will be all to ready to let go of Windows for gaming. For any of that to happen or there to be actually fair market space then exclusives have to be gone. Getting into all that about exclusives tho..:eek: Microsoft said fuck it and bought into Sony.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

PC = Origin , UPLAY , Steam, GOG.com,Battle.net, and many Resellers, aka G2A, GMG.

A monopoly (from Greek μόνος mónos ("alone" or "single") and πωλεῖν pōleîn ("to sell")) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity (this contrasts with a monopsony which relates to a single entity's control of a market to purchase a good or service, and with oligopoly which consists of a few entities dominating an industry).[2] Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service, a lack of viable substitute goods, and the possibility of a high monopoly price well above the firm's marginal cost that leads to a high monopoly profit.[3] The verb monopolise or monopolizerefers to the process by which a company gains the ability to raise prices or exclude competitors. In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power to charge overly high prices.[4] Although monopolies may be big businesses, size is not a characteristic of a monopoly. A small business may still have the power to raise prices in a small industry (or market).[4]
A monopoly is distinguished from a monopsony, in which there is only one buyer of a product or service; a monopoly may also have monopsony control of a sector of a market. Likewise, a monopoly should be distinguished from a cartel (a form of oligopoly), in which several providers act together to coordinate services, prices or sale of goods. Monopolies, monopsonies and oligopolies are all situations such that one or a few of the entities have market power and therefore interact with their customers (monopoly), suppliers (monopsony) and the other companies (oligopoly) in ways that leave market interactions distorted.[citation needed]
What he said!

And yes, I refer to 70% as a sizable portion. They can begin trends in PC gaming, but are not in a position to dictate.

BTW, I'm very much against using Steam if I can get the game from GOG, and prefer my Ubisoft games directly on U-play (which has given me zero problems when used that way), so I'm not some guy beating the drums for Steam.

Last edited:
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.

gog.com is great, relying on something being online, to play single player game you bought is not.

Note that "significant market power" bit in your quotes.

With your personal narrow definition of a monopoly (not the one you've quoted), Intel wasn't a monopoly, cause, you know, AMD. Not to mention Via et al.
Yet Intel was CONVICTED for ABUSING it's monopolistic position by EU.

Now, in practice, I couldn't get updates for Xenonauts for a long while, cause, you know, I happened to buy it from gog.com (no DRM ) and not Steam.

Valve is in a position to dictate... and so it does.
It has only digital sales, yet it gets same 30% cut of the revenue as Sony/MS get on consoles.

No, not really.
On consoles no company has 70%+ of the market.
On consoles I can re-sell, or share games, or buy used ones.
Even if Sony/Microsoft/(gog.com, for that matter) disappear, I'll still be able to play my games.
On consoles, with a very few platform exclusive exceptions, I have a choice from which company to buy.

The question to me is why hasnt Valve pushed the Source engine harder...
Oh, they are trying to.
Not so long ago they've said it would be free "for everyone, who sells on their platform".

Effectively, this will be funded for the 30% revenue off most pc game sales they are getting.
Assuming it would be at least ok, try to compete with "FREE" stuff if you are selling game engines, like, say, unreal.

System Name PC ?
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Storage C:/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB - D:/7TB of Storage (WD-Bx2) - X:/Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G900
gog.com is great, relying on something being online, to play single player game you bought is not.

Note that "significant market power" bit in your quotes.

With your personal narrow definition of a monopoly (not the one you've quoted), Intel wasn't a monopoly, cause, you know, AMD. Not to mention Via et al.
Yet Intel was CONVICTED for ABUSING it's monopolistic position by EU.

Now, in practice, I couldn't get updates for Xenonauts for a long while, cause, you know, I happened to buy it from gog.com (no DRM ) and not Steam.

Valve is in a position to dictate... and so it does.
It has only digital sales, yet it gets same 30% cut of the revenue as Sony/MS get on consoles.

No, not really.
On consoles no company has 70%+ of the market.
On consoles I can re-sell, or share games, or buy used ones.
Even if Sony/Microsoft/(gog.com, for that matter) disappear, I'll still be able to play my games.
On consoles, with a very few platform exclusive exceptions, I have a choice from which company to buy.

Consoles
Every console has powerful DRM protection, and no privacy at all, if you would change or do anything = Console Ban + Account.
Rise of Tomb Raider on XBOX One = 59.99$ / PC version in GMG 45$ and in G2A 35$.
You must chose one platform and use only one Digital Store.
Steam is Digital Store, sure you can't resell ur games, but also on consoles you can't resell or EVEN ask for charge back, if you didn't liked the game.
You must pay to play in multiplayer or use Cloud to save ur games, + to get extra deals, on any PC platform it's totally free.
if Sony/Xbox Service is down, you can't play anything online.
With every new console, old games are dead.

Extra.
AMD exist only bcoz Intel.

Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Not that much. Steam doesn't usually publish sales figures but sources put sales around a billion dollars a year out of a 24 billion dollar PC games market. There are a lot of sources for PC games. It's true that quite a few will require a Steam connection to play though but you don't pay Steam for a connection. The publisher pays Valve for the Steam DRM.

The AMD64 or x86-64 or x64 is a 64-bit processor architecture invented by AMD. AMD64 is designed to enable simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing with no degradation in performance. With Direct Connect Architecture, AMD64 processors address and help eliminate challenges and bottlenecks related to system architectures because everything is directly connected to the central processing unit.
@Eroticus Yet your Intel cpu's architecture was designed by AMD. If anything Intel messed things up by increasing single core performance to fast instead of putting focus on what was always meant to be.. all your cores and threads working together with harmony no matter what program.

System Name PC ?
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G900
The AMD64 or x86-64 or x64 is a 64-bit processor architecture invented by AMD. AMD64 is designed to enable simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing with no degradation in performance. With Direct Connect Architecture, AMD64 processors address and help eliminate challenges and bottlenecks related to system architectures because everything is directly connected to the central processing unit.
@Eroticus Yet your Intel cpu's architecture was designed by AMD. If anything Intel messed things up by increasing single core performance to fast instead of putting focus on what was always meant to be.. all your cores and threads working together with harmony no matter what program.

Sure lol =P but back then Intel gave to AMD License to make "Intel cheap version of CPUs", and since then both companies share technology.

I love AMD =P so don't worry =D.

Last edited:
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Consoles
Every console has powerful DRM protection, and no privacy at all, if you would change or do anything = Console Ban + Account.
You can use it offline, 100% privacy.
Nobody can ban your offline mode either.

Rise of Tomb Raider on XBOX One = 59.99$ / PC version in GMG 45$ and in G2A 35$.
You can buy USED TR for XBOX one for 38.99$ via AMAZON store.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVRNIQU/?tag=tec06d-20

You can then RE-SELL it again, to somebody else, getting most of those 38.99 + 3$ shipping back.
Ok?

Steam is Digital Store, sure you can't resell ur games, but also on consoles you can't resell or EVEN ask for charge back, if you didn't liked the game.
Lol, no, it doesn't work like that.

You must pay to play in multiplayer or use Cloud to save ur games, + to get extra deals, on any PC platform it's totally free.
That's a valid point, although WoW wasn't "totally free" last time I've checked and that multiplayer subscription gives you several free games every month.

if Sony/Xbox Service is down, you can't play anything online.
Yay, like steam, and that's somehow an argument for Steam... =)

With every new console, old games are dead.
In what way, eh?
Last year there were new releases FOR DAYUM PLAYSTATION 2, let alone 3, in which way are they "dead"?

Steam doesn't usually publish sales figures but sources put sales around a billion dollars a year out of a 24 billion dollar PC games market. There are a lot of sources for PC games.
Sure they don't publish anything, it's a privately owned company.
Last time I've checked it was estimated to be around 3+ billion for 2015.

Big part of 24 billion belongs to MMORPGs as well as to monster companies such as Activision Blizzard.
It still doesn't improve situation in regards of online stores.

It's true that quite a few will require a Steam connection to play though but you don't pay Steam for a connection.
Having to pay Valve just for their DRM would be hilarious.

The publisher pays Valve for the Steam DRM.
Actually, no. Publisher pays Valve for selling games on Steam.
Valve doesn't get money if you buy steam key somewhere else. (which is normally much cheaper too, e.g. XCOM2, Valve - 49.99€, allkeyshop finder - 29.05€)

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Well, the publisher doesn't write Valve a check for using the Steam platform and DRM. They take a 30% cut of the sale. As far as keys bought elsewhere I don't think Valve would bother to redeem the key and let you download the game from Steam and use the Steam DRM if they weren't being compensated by the publisher for doing so.

System Name PC ?
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G900
PC games are so much cheaper that they alone can allow even a high-end PC to undercut a console within a single year (Used game after few months for 40$ or Pre-order for 35$.)

(400$ Console) + (250$(PSN+) + (15GAMES*60$*5YEARS) = 5150$
(1000$ High-end PC) + (15G*42.5$*5Y) = 4187.5$

WoW - is Choice, PSN+ / XBOX - No.

"You can't get banned if you are using it offline" sarcasm ?

You can play in every steam game online, while Steam is offline.

You can share your Steam games with others
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

For old games, you must pay again, not all games available.

Microsoft and Sony are paying money too make Exclusive games.

PC games can be modded. Console games (legally and logically) cannot.

The Virtual Reality revolution is being led by the PC.

You get more online functionality for free than a paid console user.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
The way MS is going, they'd like that screen to read "Your PC has been banned for recent PC repairs."

With a help of some programmer, I've just revived a 18 years old Need for Speed 3 racing game on PC. It can even run at 4K and for its age looks absolutely amazing! Eat this consoles! You can't ever achieve anything like this on consoles. Especially not now that everything is proprietary and locked down through internet connection and console accounts. I love playing old games, this is one of the reasons why I'm insisting on PC. With consoles, I'd be forced to throw away and forget bunch of legendary games. Not an option for me. Nope.

That pretty cool. You know there is Linux for the PS4 right? I know a lot of people say its outdated tech and is true in some ways but its still the most powerful apu ever. I mean its not HSA but there is 8 jaguar cpu cores
18 GCN compute units - HD7850-7870 area
8GB of GDDR5 not unified like the next console will be but still shared and that makes it the fastest ram any cpu uses

System Name PC ?
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G900
That pretty cool. You know there is Linux for the PS4 right? I know a lot of people say its outdated tech and is true in some ways but its still the most powerful apu ever. I mean its not HSA but there is 8 jaguar cpu cores
18 GCN compute units - HD7850-7870 area
8GB of GDDR5 not unified like the next console will be but still shared and that makes it the fastest ram any cpu uses

Yes for 2010~11.

and GDDR5 + /- like DDR3.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard