• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which case has better airflow and by how much?

I ended up sticking with the luxe. :toast:

Honestly, the reason why I wanted to change the 200mm fan in the front is because I've heard from numerous other posts from people who also own this case that the 200mm in the case isn't good. They all suggested to switch it out for 2 quality 140mm to move much more air for better airflow. Now, when your comparing 2 140s to the single 200, it may make the 200 look bad, but overall is the 200 actually "bad"? Like is the 200mm good and that 2 140s is better(?) Or is the 200mm actually useless?

They all called it useless but there is a difference between these two scenarios in that its actually a good fan but when compared to 2 quality 140s, it's useless.
I think for now I should stick with the 200mm to see how it goes with my 980Ti and if needed I'll swap in 2 140 3-pins.
Have you started building in it yet? If so I'm curious to get your impression on it. :toast:

These people you mention are either never pleased or lacking information. Useless? There are numerous reviews of the Luxe beating most of the competition. I would not doubt if one exists because most reviews leave out their test conditions but I have yet to see a review showing bad temps on the Luxe. If the 200mm fan was useless that wouldn't be the case. Is it because the 200mm fan doesn't sound like a turbine? Or because these people don't feel a vortex whirling inside the case? The air its moving is not going to feel like focused bursts. As rtwjunkie said, if component temps (e.g. GPU, CPU, chipset, etc.) are good than its good. Not much more to it than that.

That's not to say the 200mm fan in this case is the best solution and can't be improved upon, but so many things can affect the temps they are seeing. The biggest one is ambient temperature in the room like rtwjunkie said. So many reviews leave this out and I don't know why, their tables should show what the ambient temp was during the test. The ambient temp is the starting temperature, outside of the extreme cooling methods no component is going below the ambient temp in the room. I think a lot of people envision actual "cooling" from a fan rather than heat dispersion. Having lived in both humid and arid climates I would also like to know the humidity at the time of the test. How is their cable management? Are they doing a push/pull strat or strictly push or strictly pull?

Ya, just keep on the path you are going down. Try it out first and if you see something you don't like than fix it. I don't like the idea of spending money simply because some people said some stuff.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
^^Some very good observations and thoughts there! :)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
The 200m fan will be quieter then 2x 140s. It might be easier to add intake fans on the bottom before changing out the 200m.