• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hyper 212 Evo Fan Compatibility: Help Needed

CyanogenCX

Hi, I have a Dell D6H9T Motherboard, as part of a Dell Optiplex 990 Mini Tower.

I was wondering whether a Hyper 212 Evo would be compatible with the motherboard? I have heard of the D6H9T having fan header issues.

The fan has 4 pins, but the connector on the motherboard has 5 slots.

Also, in case it is relevant, I have a GTX 750 Ti also on the motherboard, in case of size problems?

See:

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Nimbus Sans L, arial, sans-serif]
Also, will my case be too small?

Thank you in advance for your help!
[/FONT]

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know, however, this may help... you may need to do a little verification/testing on the pinouts: Dell 5pin Fan connector to standard 4 pin pinout

Quoted from the above page:
This is to fit a standard 4pin fan to a dell motherboard 5pin CPU (speed controlled) fan connector (essentially, you just swap pins 1 & 3 on the standard connector)

duh.png

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
That doesn't look like an MT motherboard with only 2 expansion slots. Probably a USFF 990 board. Any way take a look at your original Dell PWM fan. Note the Amp rating. I'm more familiar with Dell BTX so I can't say what you'll find but Dell fans usually are from 1.3A to 1.6A power, and usually run at around 30% pwm under heavy loads. Fans for the 212 will be around .2A-.3A. and operate close to their rated speeds. The bolt pattern for the cooler may or may not follow the standards for the socket you have so check that first.
Next the 5 pin connector is for 4 wire fan. The 5th pin is empty, or has a jumper from ground to it. The pinout is not normal. Frozen CPU sold an adapter cable for this, there may be others (DON'T USE FROZEN CPU they self destructed last year.) This actually saves people from putting the 1.6A fan on a normal ATX MB which will usually destroy it. I recommend using the Dell fan if possible. A- They're hellacious fans,and B- Dell BIOS will throw a fan failure error if the fan current is "out of range" during POST. I would not assume that Dell cooling is bad. I've had exactly the opposite experience. You didn't say you had a cooling problem. I just mention this because I'm running a 1st generation Core 2 Quad overclocked to 3.72GHz. with a $12 surplus Dell Pentium D cooler, and a bigger fan. I have a pile of aftermarket heatpipe coolers I never needed. The bigger fan just cools it down sooner, and quieter, the original fan got noisy at 50%

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
It will be compatible with the board. Weather or not it fits in the case is another matter. Probably not wit the side on

CyanogenCX

It will be compatible with the board. Weather or not it fits in the case is another matter. Probably not wit the side on

Would the Cryorig C7 be fine then? Hyper 212 is for tower builds I think, and since I have a mini tower it probably won't fit.

So if I was to go out and buy the Cryorig it wouldn't run into space issues on the board?

I guess my main question is, would the 4 pin connector on the cooler be compatible with the 5 pin slot on the dell motherboard?

CyanogenCX

That doesn't look like an MT motherboard with only 2 expansion slots. Probably a USFF 990 board. Any way take a look at your original Dell PWM fan. Note the Amp rating. I'm more familiar with Dell BTX so I can't say what you'll find but Dell fans usually are from 1.3A to 1.6A power, and usually run at around 30% pwm under heavy loads. Fans for the 212 will be around .2A-.3A. and operate close to their rated speeds. The bolt pattern for the cooler may or may not follow the standards for the socket you have so check that first.
Next the 5 pin connector is for 4 wire fan. The 5th pin is empty, or has a jumper from ground to it. The pinout is not normal. Frozen CPU sold an adapter cable for this, there may be others (DON'T USE FROZEN CPU they self destructed last year.) This actually saves people from putting the 1.6A fan on a normal ATX MB which will usually destroy it. I recommend using the Dell fan if possible. A- They're hellacious fans,and B- Dell BIOS will throw a fan failure error if the fan current is "out of range" during POST. I would not assume that Dell cooling is bad. I've had exactly the opposite experience. You didn't say you had a cooling problem. I just mention this because I'm running a 1st generation Core 2 Quad overclocked to 3.72GHz. with a $12 surplus Dell Pentium D cooler, and a bigger fan. I have a pile of aftermarket heatpipe coolers I never needed. The bigger fan just cools it down sooner, and quieter, the original fan got noisy at 50%

Sorry, I had the wrong motherboard in the image. I am unable to change the post because it contains "spam-like" material. Here is an image of the motherboard.

It contains two 5 pin slots, one on the top right hand corner of the board, and one on the top right corner of the RAM.

So I guess what you are saying is that I don't need an aftermarket fan? I reach a maximum of 60 Degrees Celsius while playing games, I was just looking at an after market fan so that I could prolong my CPU's life, as I plan on using it for the next 4 years.

I was thinking of getting a Cryorig C7 since that would fit inside a mini tower. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Dell usually installs industrial fans from Delta, or NMB- Matsushita. They are much more powerful than aftermarket fans. The 5 pin connectors on Dell BTX boards are good up to 2 Amps. Aftermarket coolers can be better if they have more heatpipes. I have a Thermalright Macho 120 that fits in an MT with the cover on. That's a much better MB by the way. 4 phase VRM instead of 3.You might consider some small heatsinks for the VRM MOSFETs while you're at it. I pulled a little 92mm fan out of an old P4 Dell and it draws 1.8A. and flows 130cfm of air at 5800 rpm. A better heatsink with the Dell fans and airflow layout should work well. At 60*C. your fan is probably running at 25% of it's rated speed. Your temperature is mostly controlled by the fans PWM profile. At 65*C. the fan will speed up and blow it back down to 60*, if it hits 70* it will speed up some more and blow it down to 65*. Don't be surprised if the fan just runs slower with the bigger cooler and you're still at 60*C.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
You will have to remove the back plate and if its glued on that would be difficult. You could break the board. Really 60c is well within limits. Its am OEM board so any changes you make will require modification

CyanogenCX

Dell usually installs industrial fans from Delta, or NMB- Matsushita. They are much more powerful than aftermarket fans. The 5 pin connectors on Dell BTX boards are good up to 2 Amps. Aftermarket coolers can be better if they have more heatpipes. I have a Thermalright Macho 120 that fits in an MT with the cover on. That's a much better MB by the way. 4 phase VRM instead of 3.You might consider some small heatsinks for the VRM MOSFETs while you're at it. I pulled a little 92mm fan out of an old P4 Dell and it draws 1.8A. and flows 130cfm of air at 5800 rpm. A better heatsink with the Dell fans and airflow layout should work well. At 60*C. your fan is probably running at 25% of it's rated speed. Your temperature is mostly controlled by the fans PWM profile. At 65*C. the fan will speed up and blow it back down to 60*, if it hits 70* it will speed up some more and blow it down to 65*. Don't be surprised if the fan just runs slower with the bigger cooler and you're still at 60*C.

You will have to remove the back plate and if its glued on that would be difficult. You could break the board. Really 60c is well within limits. Its am OEM board so any changes you make will require modification

Ok, I guess it would just be best to stick with the stock fan. Thanks for your help guys. I'll make sure to keep track of my CPU temperature while gaming and unless it hits 70 degrees I'll just stick with this.

If I were to replace the fan, the reviews suggest this product would work, so I'll look into that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G50C6Q/?tag=tec06d-20

Again, thanks for your help both of you.

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
It's not uncommon for Dell to build the backplate into the case (all BTXs),
or even use screws instead of bolts in their coolers. Look at the screws in your OEM cooler and see if you can match them with your new one. Dell commonly uses 6-32 bolts, aftermarket are metric.. There may be a bigger Dell cooler that fits. Look for similar models with the fastest CPUs they often change coolers to match the CPU ordered. Here's a photo of a Dell cooler with built in fan. The manufacturer is AVC and they rate their 3 heatpipe version for 130W, so this 4 pipe cooler should be more than that. It's from an XPS 630i which was ATX LGA775 but if the feet are reversed in their slots it should fit Socket 1136 also. You might see what Dell XPSs from the same era as yours used. This one has screws. Your little MT probably has a big brother somewhere. This one also had standard 4 pin plug, probably because the fan "only" draws .56A. and flows 81cfm.
More photos here. http://www.overclock.net/g/a/1298590/default/
http://www.avc.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=31

I'm a retired mechanic and have the time and tools to deal with all this Dell weirdness. But it's not for everyone. Usually the best Dell cooler is the best solution.