• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Fan Spins Up and Down when Idle

System Name Custom
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Stock
Memory ADATA DDR3 1333MHz 4Gb x 2
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 750 OC 1Gb
Storage Seagate 2Tb
Display(s) BenQ EW2440
Case Xigmatek Mini Tower
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Antec NeoECO 520C
Mouse Steelseries Kinzu V3
Keyboard Cherry G80-3800
Thanks every for the advice. I will contact ASUS to get a replacement card or fan.

nevadokiller

Hello did you get a solution?? i have a gtx 780 rog poseidon with same prob. After contact with asus support they told me to update to gpu teawk 2 v. 1183( didnt work). so i installed msi afterburner and on Settings/Fan(Enable user def)/ set Temperature hysteresis to 15/ force fan speed enable. this resolved my rpm variation for the time being. sorry for any bad spelling im portuguese.

System Name Custom
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Stock
Memory ADATA DDR3 1333MHz 4Gb x 2
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 750 OC 1Gb
Storage Seagate 2Tb
Display(s) BenQ EW2440
Case Xigmatek Mini Tower
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Antec NeoECO 520C
Mouse Steelseries Kinzu V3
Keyboard Cherry G80-3800
Yes, ASUS replaced the GPU fan and now everything is back to normal.

So I have a pair of ROG Poseidons 780 Platinums. Card 1 started to show this issue 6 months ago. 0-3400+rpm in 15 second cycles. When I first noticed it I found that afterburner would control it if you kept the percentages above 55% either auto curve or manual. Eventually that stopped working and the values had to be raised to 62%, then 75%. Now it's taking close to 80% to keep them stabilized. It's an annoying problem that I'm sure people are still having. So, today after trying several different things I decided to swap cards one and two in their slots hoping for a fix. But the problem followed card one even when it was moved. So, I believe without a doubt that it is definitely a hardware issue on the card, not the video driver or anything else. Especially due to it's progressive nature. So now what can I do? Is it possible to replace the fan controller chip? I do have the skill and equipment for that. Or would replacing the pair of fans possibly help? Or, is there a controller that would allow me to unplug the fans from the board and run them from a controller of some type? 80% all of the time is just annoying and dirty.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I had the same issue with the same card a couple of years ago. I ended up pulling the shroud off and sticking two fans to it--Arctic F9's:

With the shroud off, they wedge themselves perfectly into the fins, without needing screws--friction fit. The fan on the left is screwed in because I tore the fins apart to fit a different fan on it. However, the fans I purchased were only 1800 RPM, I believe, so I had to run the card at 90% power draw to avoid any overheating issues on intense games. They are 92mm fans, but I'd recommend getting something that can run up to 2500 RPM.

I had the same issue with the same card a couple of years ago. I ended up pulling the shroud off and sticking two fans to it--Arctic F9's:
View attachment 125265

With the shroud off, they wedge themselves perfectly into the fins, without needing screws--friction fit. The fan on the left is screwed in because I tore the fins apart to fit a different fan on it. However, the fans I purchased were only 1800 RPM, I believe, so I had to run the card at 90% power draw to avoid any overheating issues on intense games. They are 92mm fans, but I'd recommend getting something that can run up to 2500 RPM.
Well sure I can see that. Did you plug them into the fan socket on the card with a splitter or to another fan header? I mean replacing the factory fans, or upgrading them is simple enough not to go quite this far. I'm just looking to confirm that it fixed the problem and brought fan control back to Afterburner? That would mean plugged into the fan header on the card I guess.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
I just plugged them into my motherboard, and told them to spin up according to "PCIE x16" temp. I never even bothered trying to plug them into the GPU's header, I figured it would just do the same thing with new fans. Although, maybe it was the fan's fault to begin with??????

Now that I think about it..... At one point I had the original fans plugged into a fan controller, but eventually they started grinding and I had to replace them anyways.

I tried flashing all sorts of funky BIOSes to the card as well--nothing really fixed the fan revving problem.

I just kinda wanted to post and say that the 92mm fans will wedge right into the radiator like they were meant to be there--creating a pretty good seal in the process.

I just plugged them into my motherboard, and told them to spin up according to "PCIE x16" temp. I never even bothered trying to plug them into the GPU's header, I figured it would just do the same thing with new fans. Although, maybe it was the fan's fault to begin with??????

Thanks. I don't have any mobo headers free, well maybe one. Guess the cheapest fix would be a splitter and run the stock fans off of Opt Fan 3 header and see if it stops. If it doesn't then I'll try $30 and change out the cards fans If that doesn't work, Then I think I have a few processor cooler fans around here. They would probably be higher rpms I think.

UPDATE: Replacing the GPU fans fixes the problem. But because of the ROG Light up panel and the six-pin finish plug into the card you will need to wire the new fans into the old wire harness. Easy but tedious if your not experienced in soldering wires that small without making a mess. Just cut the fan wires on all fans old and new and match them up. You don't want a lot of extra, just enough to make your solder joints cause all of that's got to stuff up into the shroud without getting in the way and getting cut or smashed by the fins. Irony: When I put the refurbished card back in and turned the computer on to test the new fans everything worked but I noticed one fan dead on the 2nd card, so go ahead and just by new fans for each card you have at once since they seem to fail about the same time. I was also a little disappointed to find that the special 90mm fans from the factory are nothing but generic VGA fans used on most cards and are actually only 85-87mm with ASUS stickers.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
@nxindy Cool. Where did u get the fans?

Goshan111

I experienced the same trouble with Asus 1060 OC 3gb - intermittent fans revving when setting Afterburner fan slider to idle (or auto). (Actually, I tried using Afterburner to solve another issue - one of the two fans sometimes would work at about 20% constantly, while the other one was idle.) Tried everything, and here is what worked for me: set fan speed to Auto, check the fan curve to be idling at low temps (mine is below 40C) in fan settings, and then go to general settings and in the "Enable low-level hardware access interface" dropdown choose "kernel mode". My fans stopped revving immediately. Hopefully, it will fix my second issue too.