• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardcore PC gamer buys console

As a PC gamer, would you buy a console to play online with your console friends?

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Or maybe because the Playstation 4 is damn good.
I wouldn't describe it as "damn good". I've got Rainbow Six Siege on the PC too and it plays way better on that. The framerate on the PS4 frequently drops to 30fps without the possibly of adjusting quality settings to improve it, which totally sucks, frankly. The overall experience with it is pleasant enough though and it's not overly noisy while playing games or watching a Blu-ray, which is a big improvement over the original hardware version. This is the second version.

It's probably correct to call it the best out of the consoles, but I haven't physically played around with the Xbox One to compare, however. My mate (the pestering one) has both and thinks the PS4 is better and I trust his judgement on that.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Xbox One is more about home theater than gaming. The reverse is true of PlayStation.

I mean, Windows 10 can't even DVR by itself anymore; but if you buy an Xbox One and hook it up to your satellite/cable, you can stream the recordings from the Xbox One. How pathetic is that? It should be the other way around. Microsoft clearly has its priorities turned around where Sony does not.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
I don't know why Microsoft still continue wasting money building Xbox:D
:nutkick:Xbox

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Or maybe because the Playstation 4 is damn good.

Ehhhh not really. Every time the PS4 lags on Rocket League because of a tiny puff of smoke from an explosion it makes me giggle. I mean, this game is so not demanding that with one Titan X and my CPU at stock I hit the new frame cap of 250fps, and when I screw with the config file to get even better quality with cinematic 4k with extra AA I still don't budge from the frame cap. I mean this is Unreal Engine 3 stuff and it lags on a small explosion. Then the LoD and frame drops in Destiny is kinda laughable, on top of the fact that they have an artificial limit to internet speeds even on a cable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast playing with my buds literally every day now, but I wouldn't say the console is damn good. Especially if you're used to a PC experience. It's just a console and everybody will find the flaws. Some will purposely look for them, some will just come across them and laugh it off like me. I don't regret my purchase at all, but even I laugh at my best friend who's so PCMR he gives me shit anytime he thinks I'm on the PS4. Yet I sit here saying at least I'm putting my money to use, instead of having 3 Titan X's, a 5960x, 32GB of Dominator Plat 32000, 950pro, eVGA X99 Classi, and the new 9Q Swift just for Facebook and Youtube.

Edited for ninja posts ahead of me.

Edit2: I'll also mention my CronusMAX works so much better on the PS4 and Destiny than it did on Halo with the Xbox.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I don't know why Microsoft still continue wasting money building Xbox:D
:nutkick:Xbox
Don't get me wrong, the Xbox One is a great home theater console but it's only an okay game console.

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Don't get me wrong, the Xbox One is a great home theater console but it's only an okay game console.
I find it hilarious how slow even the menu system is.

Does anybody know if there are significant gains to putting an SSD in the PS4? It helped quite a bit on the Xbox.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Xbox One is more about home theater than gaming. The reverse is true of PlayStation.

I mean, Windows 10 can't even DVR by itself anymore; but if you buy an Xbox One and hook it up to your satellite/cable, you can stream the recordings from the Xbox One. How pathetic is that? It should be the other way around. Microsoft clearly has its priorities turned around where Sony does not.

Microsoft dropped the messaging on Kinect and the DVR/TV features.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Had it for a bit over a week, so here's my experiences with my shiny new PS4 so far. Note this is not any kind of formal review, just my blatherings about my impressions of it.

First off, I got the wrong flipping colour! smh The black one looks very smart, but the Glacier White looked really nice on Amazon, so I plumped for that instead. Opened the box and it turns out that it's a bit of a boring looking light grey. Well, I couldn't be bothered to return it just for that and get the black one, so I did the only sensible thing a nerdy geek like me could do: I named it Fugly. That's the machine name, the way Windows does it and now I'm happy with it. Incidently, the controller looks nice in this colour, so it's not all bad. I also got the official Sony vertical stand for it at the same time (£15) so it can take up the minimum amount of space. It's a bit wobbly on the stand though, no matter how much I tighten it, which I think should be a bit better.

So, what's it like for gaming? Graphics quality is not bad for integrated graphics and generally looks nice. I've only tried Rainbow Six Siege on it at the moment though and don't plan on getting a whole slew of games for it, as it's primarily intended as a tool for playing online with my friends, so the only games I'll buy are for playing with them and perhaps an exclusive or two over time.

It can sometimes run the game at 60fps, but it tends to hit 30fps rather more often than I'd like, which is rubbish, but useable. Interestingly, vsync is switchable in the game's settings. The mouse look panning issue on an fps game is fairly awful and really screws up my aim, but I'm learning to work around it a bit now I've gotten used to it. The controller feels nice in my hands, well made and the controls are all very positive.

I was able to create a PSN account (with some hassle, more later) and play online with my friends. However, after a while, I kept getting removed (kicked) all the time when trying to connect to a server. A bit of research showed that this turned out to be due to NAT type 3, which is restrictive for a PS4. Lots of advice around the internet about opening various firewall ports, but in one of them it said to enable UPNP as well so I tried that only which fixed the problem completely - no open ports required. I'm sure I've read about security issues with UPNP, so I'll have to look into this later. It now shows NAT type 2 which is perfectly fine.

It was comforting to see that this "no hassle" zero configuration that is supposed to be a console's big advantage was absent! Yep, for some reason, trying to log in at www.playstation.com is a real crapshoot for my new account, with it usually giving me an error message or the web page just not loading (tried three different browsers) but did log in just fine at www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com. Dunno why, as my friends can log in ok. I might try creating a new account and seeing what happens. Still getting a login error today, more than a week later.

The PS4 has a "10 foot" TV interface as you might expect, which is mostly quite intuitive and quite slick. Of course, it's a complete Sony closed walled garden in terms of content, so you can't go elsewhere if you don't like the way it works or the prices. It's got a fair number of configuration options too, which was a pleasant surprise and navigating the PlayStation Store was easy, but it's nowhere near as fully featured and slick as the Steam platform. The prices are another matter though. For example, The Last of Us Remastered is £19 on Amazon, but a whopping £55 in the PS Store! Price gouging much? Needless to say, I'll buy it from Amazon if I want this game or borrow it off a friend. I can also trade in a disc, but not on a PS Store game. The downside is that the disc must be in the drive while the game is being played, but that's not too bad.

Unsurprisingly, it plays Blu-rays very well. There's little mechanical noise (sounds really cheap and rattly on inject/eject) and the picture quality is perfect, with no skipping. I was all fingers and thumbs at first on trying to use the controller as a remote control since nothing is marked, but I've got the hang of it now after referring to the onscreen button legends for a while. It works well, but the speed options are weird. Forward goes 1.5x, 30x, 60x and 120x. Massive jumps, rather than the more sensible jumps found on every other player out there. Still, it's useable like this.

A PlayStation Plus paid subscription is actually required for any kind of synchronous online play that isn't a simple turn-based game, which sucks balls frankly. One doesn't have to do this on a PC for the exact same connectivity. At least there's the option for a 14-day free trial, which I've taken.

I enjoyed playing with my mates (the primary reason for buying it) and we're all using a voice headset which really makes the difference, but I did die an awful lot, especially due to the aim issue. I might buy one of those PC gaming style accessories for it, or a mouse and keyboard adapter, but they're all awfully expensive at around £60-80 or more. This looks like a classic example of deliberate product lock-in since with the two front USB ports, there's no technical reason that a standard keyboard and mouse couldn't work on it.

My verdict: A decent gaming PC with a high end graphics card and decent CPU really blows it away on performance and isn't a closed walled garden, but it's still quite nice to use, play games on and watch TV on (discs and online catch-up services). Still less hassle to get going and maintain than a PC, but you'll pay for the privilege in terms of performance and money spent on the games. PC gamers should only buy it if they have a specific and compelling reason - such as that pestering friend!

Points rating: 6/10

Last edited:
The problem with the latest generation of consoles is that they are trying to be jack of all trades and ultimately become mediocre at everything.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Had it for a bit over a week, so here's my experiences with my shiny new PS4 so far. Note this is not any kind of formal review, just my blatherings about my impressions of it.

First off, I got the wrong flipping colour! smh The black one looks very smart, but the Glacier White looked really nice on Amazon, so I plumped for that instead. Opened the box and it turns out that it's a bit of a boring looking light grey. Well, I couldn't be bothered to return it just for that and get the black one, so I did the only sensible thing a nerdy geek like me could do: I named it Fugly. That's the machine name, the way Windows does it and now I'm happy with it. Incidently, the controller looks nice in this colour, so it's not all bad. I also got the official Sony vertical stand for it at the same time (£15) so it can take up the minimum amount of space. It's a bit wobbly on the stand though, no matter how much I tighten it, which I think should be a bit better.

So, what's it like for gaming? Graphics quality is not bad for integrated graphics and generally looks nice. I've only tried Rainbow Six Siege on it at the moment though and don't plan on getting a whole slew of games for it, as it's primarily intended as a tool for playing online with my friends, so the only games I'll buy are for playing with them and perhaps an exclusive or two over time.

It can sometimes run the game at 60fps, but it tends to hit 30fps rather more often than I'd like, which is rubbish, but useable. Interestingly, vsync is switchable in the game's settings. The mouse look panning issue on an fps game is fairly awful and really screws up my aim, but I'm learning to work around it a bit now I've gotten used to it. The controller feels nice in my hands, well made and the controls are all very positive.

I was able to create a PSN account (with some hassle, more later) and play online with my friends. However, after a while, I kept getting removed (kicked) all the time when trying to connect to a server. A bit of research showed that this turned out to be due to NAT type 3, which is restrictive for a PS4. Lots of advice around the internet about opening various firewall ports, but in one of them it said to enable UPNP as well so I tried that only which fixed the problem completely - no open ports required. I'm sure I've read about security issues with UPNP, so I'll have to look into this later. It now shows NAT type 2 which is perfectly fine.

It was comforting to see that this "no hassle" zero configuration that is supposed to be a console's big advantage was absent! Yep, for some reason, trying to log in at www.playstation.com is a real crapshoot for my new account, with it usually giving me an error message or the web page just not loading (tried three different browsers) but did log in just fine at www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com. Dunno why, as my friends can log in ok. I might try creating a new account and seeing what happens. Still getting a login error today, more than a week later.

The PS4 has a "10 foot" TV interface as you might expect, which is mostly quite intuitive and quite slick. Of course, it's a complete Sony closed walled garden in terms of content, so you can't go elsewhere if you don't like the way it works or the prices. It's got a fair number of configuration options too, which was a pleasant surprise and navigating the PlayStation Store was easy, but it's nowhere near as fully featured and slick as the Steam platform. The prices are another matter though. For example, The Last of Us Remastered is £19 on Amazon, but a whopping £55 in the PS Store! Price gouging much? Needless to say, I'll buy it from Amazon if I want this game or borrow it off a friend. I can also trade in a disc, but not on a PS Store game. The downside is that the disc must be in the drive while the game is being played, but that's not too bad.

Unsurprisingly, it plays Blu-rays very well. There's little mechanical noise (sounds really cheap and rattly on inject/eject) and the picture quality is perfect, with no skipping. I was all fingers and thumbs at first on trying to use the controller as a remote control since nothing is marked, but I've got the hang of it now after referring to the onscreen button legends for a while. It works well, but the speed options are weird. Forward goes 1.5x, 30x, 60x and 120x. Massive jumps, rather than the more sensible jumps found on every other player out there. Still, it's useable like this.

A PlayStation Plus paid subscription is actually required for any kind of synchronous online play that isn't a simple turn-based game, which sucks balls frankly. One doesn't have to do this on a PC for the exact same connectivity. At least there's the option for a 14-day free trial, which I've taken.

I enjoyed playing with my mates (the primary reason for buying it) and we're all using a voice headset which really makes the difference, but I did die an awful lot, especially due to the aim issue. I might buy one of those PC gaming style accessories for it, or a mouse and keyboard adapter, but they're all awfully expensive at around £60-80 or more. This looks like a classic example of deliberate product lock-in since with the two front USB ports, there's no technical reason that a standard keyboard and mouse couldn't work on it.

My verdict: A decent gaming PC with a high end graphics card and decent CPU really blows it away on performance and isn't a closed walled garden, but it's still quite nice to use, play games on and watch TV on (discs and online catch-up services). Still less hassle to get going and maintain than a PC, but you'll pay for the privilege in terms of performance and money spent on the games. PC gamers should only buy it if they have a specific and compelling reason - such as that pestering friend!

PSN Plus is like the birchbox (box of beauty products that come in the mail once a month). you subscribe and get free games each month. it's worth the subscription.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

Nice write up about a shit machine. 10/10.....:)

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Assassin's Creed has always been multiplatform so why would that change now?

AC as in Ace Combat. Pre-dates AssCreed by well over a decade. They did port that disaster Assault Horizon over, but their next title is a sequel to AC6 (2007). I just hope it comes to PC, because then there really is little reason to be interested in consoles for me.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Played my PS4 and Destiny all weekend, didn't even touch the PC not even for Rocket League. Money well spent.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
Played my PS4 and Destiny all weekend, didn't even touch the PC not even for Rocket League. Money well spent.
it would cool to get the steam os on it.. not sure if anyone has tried yet

D

Deleted member 67555

Been playing Rock Band, Destiny and CoD BO3 and I'm enjoying the hell out of it...
Paid for a 1 year subscription to plus...wishing they would offer a 1 year for Now...that is my only complaint..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
it would cool to get the steam os on it.. not sure if anyone has tried yet
If I find a cheap PS4 on CL that doesn't come with a HDD or something I might try it one day.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Just tried playing a CD in the PS4, but it just chugged a few times and gave up with an error message. Same thing with another one.

Turns out it doesn't support CDs - a standard they co-developed with Philips! That sucks. :shadedshu: Here's the page in the official manual that confirms it.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/videos/videodisc.html

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Yeah, that one reason I have not bother with a PS4 to replace one of my PS3s. I like to use them as music players and movie players. So no playing CDs is a big turn off.

Plus the price of a used one is still up there. I got both my two PS3s for under $200 ea.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Just tried playing a CD in the PS4, but it just chugged a few times and gave up with an error message. Same thing with another one.

Turns out it doesn't support CDs - a standard they co-developed with Philips! That sucks. :shadedshu: Here's the page in the official manual that confirms it.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/videos/videodisc.html
Wow that's bad, even if CDs are "out". :laugh: PC > consoles. yadayadayada

edit: PS. the Xbox One can play CDs. I guess it's simply not programmed in the firmware of the PS4.

Last edited:
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
but you can copy cd's onto a usb.. cars got that shish now too

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Sony created the RedBook standard. Sony created the audio CD. They abandoned it probably to save manufacturing costs because the LASER wave length is completely different from Bluray. Can it play DVDs? Can it play Audio DVDs?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Its a tough question, and overall I would lean towards no, due to my love of PC gaming and the freedom I have with it, but at the same time if there were a game I really loved that was Console only and it were a really good team game..... I would.

Other than that consoles can suck my rooster

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Sony created the RedBook standard. Sony created the audio CD. They abandoned it probably to save manufacturing costs because the LASER wave length is completely different from Bluray. Can it play DVDs? Can it play Audio DVDs?
Thought of that too. Seems it's a software/firmware problem, because it must have both lasers, like here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/BluRayLaser.JPG
It would need both lasers to read DVDs, and it can. But it can't read CDs, most likely because it lacks the software to do it, or the firmware isn't programmed for CDs. Btw. as already mentioned the Xbox One can read CDs.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
If it were just software (which Sony literally owns), CDs would work. It's definitely hardware:
CD: 780 nm (infrared)
DVD: 650 nm (red)
Bluray: 405 nm (violet)

The LASER in the PS4 is probably only capable of 405-650 nm where the LASER in Xbox One is capable of 405-780 nm. The Wii's LASER was only capable of 650 nm.

Even if eliminating CD saved them just $1 per unit, that would already amount to over $30 million in savings judging by PS4's sales. On the other hand, Xbox One being a home theater console couldn't axe CD support because that's something users may want to use. Microsoft deemed CD support a priority where Sony did not.

Even though all these consoles support DVD LASERs, DVD Audio and Video playback is spotty because they have to license hardware MPEG-2 decoding since they lack the hardware to do it in software. The Wii didn't have the license which is why it was strictly GameCube and Wii DVDs.

Last edited:
Just use Media Player to play your music from a USB drive...

Then you can have a game disc in your PS4 and play your music. You can store more music on your USB drive anyway so its the best all around solution. I still buy CDs for sound quality and I don't play music directly off the CD even on the PC. Rip it, store it, play it.
- Supported formats