• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seven Hells, I did it.

Well, seven Hells. I did it.

I bought a Wii U just to play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I had my eyes on this game ever since it was released on Wii U because I've been looking for a spiritual successor of White Knight Chronicles on PS3 & Phantasy Star universe on PS2/PC. There was nothing close until this game came along.

I strongly felt that this game was a spiritual successor and decided to buy the console just to be able to play the game.

IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
hope you did not pay the new buyer premium price :(

hope you did not pay the new buyer premium price :(

I did pay premium for the game, I paid 80 CAD for the game which is a lot. Console price is all unified across Canada, so it doesn't matter.

Anyhow, 2 hours into the game now. And my verdict is that the game is worth the 400 bucks I spent. It's been YEARS since I played a game like it. The only downside of the game is ... music or background music. They really screwed up on that... Oh well, nothing's perfect.

.... F-ck.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hangonaminute, so you bought a whole console just to play one game?! :eek:

Respect! :respect:

If you haven't seen it yet, I'm in a similar situation as I bought a PS4 just over a week ago because I got pestered into it over 6 months by my mate who wanted me to play online with him and his mates. :D

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hardcore-pc-gamer-buys-console.219888

Here is the thing. Good games are increasingly harder to come by recent years. In PS2 era, good games were raining. But after that era, it dried up. I consider myself a PC gamer foremost (For RTS and Shooter) but, when it comes to RPG, or JRPG, it's consoles that matter. Only few games were made as PC port and I was NOT pleased.

When I saw Xenoblade Chronocles X, I had goosebumps. I felt it was the game I had been looking for some years. A game that has freedom but stays itself within the boundaries as a RPG which ... I know is cryptic but I consider myself a hardcore gamer. Logical reasoning is not my forte. :D

Some update on the game as well as console itself.

The Wii U reminds me of PS2. The way it constantly reads the disk (loudly). There is no install option to speed things up. Really, Nintendo. This console is steps backwards. I had Wii before and it was a lot quieter than this.
The big controller is also too heavy to hold in your hands for extended amount of time. But at the same time, the controller screen displays map which is handy and makes main screen less messy.

Onto the game itself, they really, really, screwed up on BGM. Majority of BGM is songs: Heavy metal, pop songs and etc. The problem is that those songs are not subtle. Can't be turned off, either.
Graphic wise, I'd say it's on par with PS3.

The game reeks sandbox all over it. You are a random nobody that got rescued from your pod. Earth is gone and your colony is just 2 months into this new Terran planet they had to crash-land onto. The mood of new world feels genuine. Outdoor environment looks breathtaking, and there is no restriction in where you can go: no invisible walls. And you can attack any creatures you see whether it's in sky or on a cliff as long as it's in your gun range and you are strong enough to take them. There are gigantic creatures on ground as well as in sky. They are all attackable. Whether you can survive from battling is entirely another matter.

Voice acting is mediocre but I expected as much. Was hoping for Japanese voice over English but oh well. There is just too little emotions carried in Eng voice, like they are reading a book.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Whatever, just play it and then sell it... nothing bad from it.

About the loading... yea... it is just like PSP... I cracked it just because to run full ISO from memory cards... without laser acting like masochist. I also got PSP only for peace walker... and it was splendid.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Some update on the game as well as console itself.

The Wii U reminds me of PS2. The way it constantly reads the disk (loudly). There is no install option to speed things up. Really, Nintendo. This console is steps backwards. I had Wii before and it was a lot quieter than this.
The big controller is also too heavy to hold in your hands for extended amount of time. But at the same time, the controller screen displays map which is handy and makes main screen less messy.

Onto the game itself, they really, really, screwed up on BGM. Majority of BGM is songs: Heavy metal, pop songs and etc. The problem is that those songs are not subtle. Can't be turned off, either.
Graphic wise, I'd say it's on par with PS3.

The game reeks sandbox all over it. You are a random nobody that got rescued from your pod. Earth is gone and your colony is just 2 months into this new Terran planet they had to crash-land onto. The mood of new world feels genuine. Outdoor environment looks breathtaking, and there is no restriction in where you can go: no invisible walls. And you can attack any creatures you see whether it's in sky or on a cliff as long as it's in your gun range and you are strong enough to take them. There are gigantic creatures on ground as well as in sky. They are all attackable. Whether you can survive from battling is entirely another matter.

Voice acting is mediocre but I expected as much. Was hoping for Japanese voice over English but oh well. There is just too little emotions carried in Eng voice, like they are reading a book.
Sounds like a rubbish gaming experience, so I think you might be better off just selling the console and the game. You must be feeling really disappointed? :ohwell:

Sounds like a rubbish gaming experience, so I think you might be better off just selling the console and the game. You must be feeling really disappointed? :ohwell:

The game itself is not bad and is indeed what I am looking for. I did plenty of researches before going down this route. I just didn't expect the BGM to be that much of a bother and I didn't also expect Wii U to be this bad, either.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro

If you haven't seen it yet, I'm in a similar situation as I bought a PS4 just over a week ago because I got pestered into it over 6 months by my mate who wanted me to play online with him and his mates. :D

Did the same thing just to play Destiny.

To the OP, sorry you had a bad experience with the Wii U. When I had one to use I played the crap out of Mario Kart and didn't really experience some of the things you talked about like loud disc reading.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I am pretty sure I will have hundreds of hours with Xenoblade X. It's a good game and there is no game like it on the market right now. Nothing comes remotely close to it.
Server for White Knight Chronicles got shut down 2 years ago. Phantasy Star 2 server got shut down like 6 years ago. I was left in dark for too long...

I wish it were on PS4 of Xbone though. I guess Nintendo paid shitload of money to make it exclusive.

System Name Tingle
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16 GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB + WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2515H + Eizo FlexScan S2231W
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum Series 660W v2
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
Software Windows 10 Pro
I bought the Wii U right when it released, and now I only use it to play Wii games :p In my opinion, the two Zelda games on Wii and the Mario games (especially the Galaxy's) are amazing, and that's actually the main reason I actually pre-ordered the Wii U: I was sure that Nintendo was gonna make great games again... Well, to be short, Nintendo has disappointed me with every big game they released, except for maybe Nintendo Land, which is actually a really fun game... (but I don't have any people to play it with :p)
I just hope the new Zelda is good and that NX will rock once again :)

And yeah, the Wii U just feels so... slow I guess. Can't really describe it, but it definitely isn't a smooth experience. And to think: right at launch the loading times were literally more than twice as long :O

P.S. I totally forgot, but Lego City Undercover is also really great (except for loading times). I legitimately think that might be my favourite game on Wii U haha

System Name Zangief (Reborn)
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X @ 3.825ghz , 1.35v
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7 Rev 1.0 BIOS F51e
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Push / Push Config | 2x ML120 | 2x Phanteks 120 mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz cl 16 @ 1.45v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 +100 core / +550 mem
Storage 250 GB Samsung Evo 850 / 1tb WD Black / 4tb WD Blue / 512GB Adata XPG Pro SX8200
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU |Asus VX239H 23" AH-IPS Led
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek HD / Logitech G633/G933 Gaming Headset / Corsair H70 Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G903 and G602 Wireless Gaming | Logitech Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Red | Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Browns | Akko 3908N TTC Flame Reds
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm thinking of getting a WiiU for Xenoblade Chronicles and Mario Kart 8 or PS4 for SFV and Destiny, but Fire Emblem Fates is coming out soooo I would stick with my portable gaming for the meantime and wait for the console price to drop down about here in the Philippines.

Loading issue has been solved. Apparently, Nintendo has prepared "High speed loading packs" which are essentially game files. It's divided into 4 packs and the content total is around 10gb.

10 hours into the game now and hasn't even completed 5% of the game.

Storage 250 GB Samsung Evo 850 / 1tb WD Black / 4tb WD Blue / 512GB Adata XPG Pro SX8200
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek HD / Logitech G633/G933 Gaming Headset / Corsair H70 Pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Red | Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Browns | Akko 3908N TTC Flame Reds
Software Windows 11 Pro
Loading issue has been solved. Apparently, Nintendo has prepared "High speed loading packs" which are essentially game files. It's divided into 4 packs and the content total is around 10gb.

10 hours into the game now and hasn't even completed 5% of the game.

I'll definitely get this when I find a good deal

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is a great game. It's the only game I bought for the wiiu as well, for me that is. I bought this system mainly for my kids but that game just for me. (The kids have their own games too for the wiiu)

I'll definitely get this when I find a good deal

The game is similar to White Knight Chronicles in how it plays. We have our avatar who does not speak but plays as a sidekick to a real main character. The battles are similar as well though it is a lot more active and there is no dedicated healing class. There is one class that is somewhat healing oriented but healing arts aren't just good enough - which is where something called soul voice comes in.

Swap White knight chronicles medieval fantasy to scifi fantasy, and you have Xenoblade X.

However, the game content and freedom is far superior in Xenoblade. The outside is fully explorable. Wanna get on top of some physically impossible rock formation you see from afar? Possible.
Creatures are not level scaled to your level. Basically, further you go out, tougher creatures are... although there are impossibly tough monsters that roam right outside of the city but they are scarce.

Some creatures are 50x bigger than you. (Not exaggeration) They can be killed as well (with a skell - robot). There are some giant flying creatures also which can be killed.

Within the main city which is divided into 5 districts,, you get to spend plenty of time there. The area is big and feels genuine. The game has time system and day & night are important both quest wise and creature distribution wise. But night isn't dark like our night, perhaps due to having two gigantic moons on sky.

The main story quest is short, only 12 quests but further you go, the quest requirements become steep. It basically forces you to go outside and explore. Exploration is the major part of the game where you will want to level up and hunt down components to build armor & weapons.

I am currently in early part of main quest 4 but not progressing further because I have other things to do in side quests as well as my own goals.

A sandbox game doesn't really need to tell me what to do. I set my own goals.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M

Is it really that rare? I'm also going to buy a PS4 eventually just for Tekken 7. Sure there's some other console exclusive stuff that I'll most likely play (Bloodborne & FFXV come to mind), but without Tekken that thing is useless to me lol

Is it really that rare? I'm also going to buy a PS4 eventually just for Tekken 7. Sure there's some other console exclusive stuff that I'll most likely play (Bloodborne & FFXV come to mind), but without Tekken that thing is useless to me lol

I would say this case (or my case) is rarer because, if I purchase PS4, I will expect other games in the future during the console's lifespan.

In my case, I expect no other games in the future because Wii U is already dead.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Software Windows 11 Pro
The game is similar to White Knight Chronicles in how it plays. We have our avatar who does not speak but plays as a sidekick to a real main character. The battles are similar as well though it is a lot more active and there is no dedicated healing class. There is one class that is somewhat healing oriented but healing arts aren't just good enough - which is where something called soul voice comes in.

Swap White knight chronicles medieval fantasy to scifi fantasy, and you have Xenoblade X.

However, the game content and freedom is far superior in Xenoblade. The outside is fully explorable. Wanna get on top of some physically impossible rock formation you see from afar? Possible.
Creatures are not level scaled to your level. Basically, further you go out, tougher creatures are... although there are impossibly tough monsters that roam right outside of the city but they are scarce.

Some creatures are 50x bigger than you. (Not exaggeration) They can be killed as well (with a skell - robot). There are some giant flying creatures also which can be killed.

Within the main city which is divided into 5 districts,, you get to spend plenty of time there. The area is big and feels genuine. The game has time system and day & night are important both quest wise and creature distribution wise. But night isn't dark like our night, perhaps due to having two gigantic moons on sky.

The main story quest is short, only 12 quests but further you go, the quest requirements become steep. It basically forces you to go outside and explore. Exploration is the major part of the game where you will want to level up and hunt down components to build armor & weapons.

I am currently in early part of main quest 4 but not progressing further because I have other things to do in side quests as well as my own goals.

A sandbox game doesn't really need to tell me what to do. I set my own goals.

Yeah!! I loved it because of Xenoblade Chronicles port on 3ds (altho I've plated it via emu on pc with tons of gfx mods) and it made me check the one coming out for wii u where you can also drive a mecha xD, the exploration and the levels of the mobs as you explore farther drew me in! Hah never followed storyline quests until I was abit over leveled lolol....