• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Launches the GlideStream 120 PWM with 3-way Limiter Switch

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Japanese cooling expert Scythe extends the GlideStream series by announcing a brand new model with PWM-support and built-in fan controller. Scythe's GlideStream 120 fan series is based on further development of the very popular Scythe Slip Stream fan series. The new GlideStream 120 PWM SC fan combines the outstanding advantages of the GlideStream series such as the "small hub & large blades" concept for increased airflow at low fan speeds and new features, including PWM support and the innovative 3-step switch.

Scythe took a very different approach when developing the GlideStream 120 PWM SC fan. The new fan offers not only the support of PWM-signal based fan control, but provides users with the unchallenged opportunity to switch between one of the three possible options for maximum fan speed. Scythe attached a 3-step switch to the fan, which limits the fan speed to either 800, 1.150 or 1.500 RPM. The PWM curve is adjusted according to the set position on the fan without the necessity to adjust the applied voltage. Thanks to this feature, GlideStream 120 PWM SC can be used for very silent operation in the fan speed range between 300 and 800 RPM and switched to more powerful mode anytime, when it is required. This way Scythe was able to combine the fan speed ranges of three different case fans in only one model without compromising the PWM support.

GlideStream 120 PWM SC utilizes the unique features of the GlideStream series, including the grooved blade design, which reduces air resistance and therefore achieving lower operating noise and the "small hub & large blades" design. Transfer of vibrations from the fan to the PC Case can be reduced thanks to the supplied insulating rubber mounters. To further ease the installation process and increase the compatibility, Scythe Glide Stream 120 PWM SC is utilizing installation holes without tunnels and comes with a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter.

New Scythe Glide Stream 120 PWM SC fan with the model number SY1225HB12MS-RKP is available as of today at MSRP of 7,50 EU (w/o VAT/TAX).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I like this. I like the industrial look. And the speed switch is one of the best features I've seen on fans. Enermax started with this, got their Pressure Twister fans. They can be whisper quiet on low setting and like a hurricane on max setting (and with max PWM pulse). And pressure is pretty decent at sub 1200 RPM and sub 25dB range. Especially considering the blades are more of a airflow shape than pressure.

In the past I had to decide on fan type when purchasing. If you ended up with too loud fan, you couldn't do anything but buy a slower (quieter) one. I mean, sure, you can limit them, but that's not always possible through BIOS. And I have my entire cooling system controlled by a BIOS alone. But with the switch you basically already have all versions of fans in one single fan. It's cheaper and more practical in the long run.

I like this. I like the industrial look. And the speed switch is one of the best features I've seen on fans. Enermax started with this, got their Pressure Twister fans. They can be whisper quiet on low setting and like a hurricane on max setting (and with max PWM pulse). And pressure is pretty decent at sub 1200 RPM and sub 25dB range. Especially considering the blades are more of a airflow shape than pressure.

In the past I had to decide on fan type when purchasing. If you ended up with too loud fan, you couldn't do anything but buy a slower (quieter) one. I mean, sure, you can limit them, but that's not always possible through BIOS. And I have my entire cooling system controlled by a BIOS alone. But with the switch you basically already have all versions of fans in one single fan. It's cheaper and more practical in the long run.

Well you could always do voltage divider with resistors... I remember Zalman Fan mate being one of "the thing" in the past(~fifteen years or so ago). But haven't really needed to think about case fan noise nowadays; quality case fans today are a lot quieter than those sleeve bearing zalman's I had ages ago.

Edit: but yeah having this kind of switch is definitely plus one to have in fan.

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65
Cooling Magicool G2 Slim 240+360, Watercool Heatkiller 3.0, Alphacool GPX 290 M05
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 320GB+1TB HDDs
Case SilentiumPC Aquarius X90 Pure Black
Power Supply Chieftec Navitas GPM-1000C
I just want them to make GTs available again. The only ones i can get are through ebay and they have ridiculous price.

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65
Cooling Magicool G2 Slim 240+360, Watercool Heatkiller 3.0, Alphacool GPX 290 M05
I thought Nidec Servo EOLed the model scythe was selling, so nothing they can do. Nidec has different GT:s available but haven't heard scythe using any of them.
Yeah, i know, but they are impossible to get too, unless you'll order a big amount.

Well you could always do voltage divider with resistors... I remember Zalman Fan mate being one of "the thing" in the past(~fifteen years or so ago). But haven't really needed to think about case fan noise nowadays; quality case fans today are a lot quieter than those sleeve bearing zalman's I had ages ago.

Edit: but yeah having this kind of switch is definitely plus one to have in fan.

I know, but you can flick a switch through a case grill (at least Enermax Twister Pressure). You can't do that with resistors. Plus they heat up quite a lot.

Yeah, i know, but they are impossible to get too, unless you'll order a big amount.

Well There is some stock on amazon and newegg. But Yeah you are right they are close to impossible to get, which is pity. One of the greatest fans out there, and you can't buy them anywhere :banghead:

I know, but you can flick a switch through a case grill (at least Enermax Twister Pressure). You can't do that with resistors. Plus they heat up quite a lot.

Yeah True. Although larger resistors will heat less, they can still become quite hot.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
love the idea but how will you switch it when its installed in a case. maybe a longer switch cable would be ideal as an option? just a thought

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65
Well There is some stock on amazon and newegg. But Yeah you are right they are close to impossible to get, which is pity. One of the greatest fans out there, and you can't buy them anywhere :banghead:
I'm from Europe, so newegg is off for me. On Amazon they are for around 30 euro, it's ridiculous.