• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Adds New Game-centric Features to Universal Windows Platform

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Security is about layers; that's about as simple as it gets. Sandboxing adds yet another layer to that security cake and we shouldn't be bitching about removing it. Also, the JVM is actually incredibly secure. There are very few exploits (and the ones that exist are ingenious as hell) that break out of the actual JVM sandbox.

Where Java's security is a complete fucking joke is the web plugin. Oh good god it's so bad.

UWP adds more layers of security than Win32 could ever hope to, owing the age of it. It's also adding feature parity at a break neck pace. UWP has only existed since Windows 10 launched, and even though it has its roots in WinRT, it's still a very different beast offering far more functionality and far more performance than WinRT - which is now thankfully dead. UWP will continue to evolve, will continue to get features added to it to increase feature parity with Win32, but it'll be done in a far more secured and sandboxed manner. Just this week an update was released to give G-Sync and FreeSync support to UWP applications which they were lacking before. Claiming UWP needs to die because right this moment it isn't 100% feature compliant with Win32 (which has been around for fucking decades) just reeks of shortsightedness.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Screw UWP. I do not trust Microsoft to be the leading faction to decide how my games run. I don't even have confidence in them for the direction that the Windows platform has been going since Win8. No thanks.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
After all that times MS promised to make PC Gaming great... then GFWL, i rather not touch games for UWP.

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
This is good news that's means Microsoft is working on a better gaming experience next they have to implement Sli support
I Think this is going to be the feature of AAA games I am ok about it.
A big plus of windows 10 store each game you buy can be installed on 10 devices.

Screw UWP. I do not trust Microsoft to be the leading faction to decide how my games run. I don't even have confidence in them for the direction that the Windows platform has been going since Win8. No thanks.
So no DirectX for you :p

I don't get just immediate dislike for things which are good because you dislike other facets of a company.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
What Is Short Selling? | Investopedia
www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/shortselling1.asp
The shares are sold and the proceeds are credited to your account. Sooner or later, you must "close" the short by buying back the same number of shares (called covering) and returning them to your broker. If the price drops, you can buy back the stock at the lower price and make a profit on the difference.

Any one PARANOID Here enough to See the PLAN

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
Actually, that would be the case. MS can only put games in there that are allowed by publishers. If a publisher says "no"(Epic and Valve for starters) and UWP becomes replacement for W32, then their games are not available to consumers.

Expect M$ at some point to say "if you're with us, you can't use any other means of distribution".
I can't see this threat. UWP, while a "replacement" for the Win32 API, won't lead to Win32 getting removed from Windows (think about all the legacy software). So, if MS makes it impossible to distribute UWP apps in non-Windows Store means, developers can just start using Win32 again and use the distribution methods that they've used so far.

UWP as an API set is clearly a positive thing; it's more secure, less bloated and in some ways probably also better performing than the ancient Win32. Like has been brought up already, UWP as a platform isn't tied to the Windows Store; it's just a more modern and secure platform for running applications.

It comes down to a difference in ideology. Do we want to teach people that the platform is secure so they don't need to worry, and then have it eventually blow up in their faces with them having no idea what to do? Or do we want to teach people to actually use their brains and have a little idea of how their computer works so when hell breaks lose, they can manage?
Microsoft actually doesn't have a better option than UWP when it comes to security. Thanks to iOS and Android tablets, Macs and Chromebooks where pretty much everything is already using a UWP-like sandboxed and secure platform, 99% of users (non-power users) are expecting the same from Windows. If these users don't get security in the platform (which actually "blows up in their face" quite rarely) but have to handle it themselves, these people will think that Windows is an inferior platform and will move away from Windows. So, with UWP and sandboxing Microsoft is actually late to the party and they're more or less forced to move into that direction or risk Windows being seen as an insecure platform -> which'd lead to market share loss.

MS could try to improve the security of Win32, but it'd lead to lots of broken legacy apps and angry users - see what effect even a "relatively simple" change like UAC had. (UAC was just a way to force programs to run with non-admin priveleges unless they really needed the admin priveleges)

Maybe I'm stuck in a snooty developers mindset, but I prefer the later.
And I'm a developer too, and I like the approach MS has taken with UWP, and will likely make UWP apps in the future (with the assumptions that MS keeps UWP apps installable / "side-load-able" without getting them from the Store, and that Windows 10 market share keeps on growing rapidly).

Don't blame the API and call it insecure because it can run things that are bad. I'm sure UWP can too, it'll just have to jump through more hoops (and incur more performance penalties to legitimate software) to do it. But the bad guys are up that challenge. They always are.
Just like all companies and institutions, those "bad guys" don't have endless resources. Forcing them to spend more effort, time and money on defeating security mechanisms means less profit for them. Which means that for many of those bad guys, making malware will end up being unprofitable / not worth it and they'll give up.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So no DirectX for you :p

Hmm, well, you never know. Gaming on the linux platform is gaining traction; we might find ourselves with more options in the near future and giving MS the middle finger.

I just began my hunt for an alternative every day OS for general tasks aside from gaming.

I don't get just immediate dislike for things which are good because you dislike other facets of a company.

You should know that many times when an idea is sold, only the best aspects about the initiative are mentioned and that potential downsides are obscured or played down. It is in Microsoft's best interest to not reveal how they intend to hoard more power over the market. With that said, MS has a horrible track record...

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
What is staggering to me are the number of people that, despite many, many years of evidence to the contrary, still cling to a desperate belief that THIS time, MS actually knows what they are doing with PC gaming, and actually mean what they say about supporting it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
What is staggering to me are the number of people that, despite many, many years of evidence to the contrary, still cling to a desperate belief that THIS time, MS actually knows what they are doing with PC gaming, and actually mean what they say about supporting it.
I don't trust MS with PC gaming at all. They've done some great things to it (DirectX), but GFWL was absolutely horrible and destroyed at least one game that I otherwise found okay (Universe at War). However, UWP isn't only about games. It's about Windows programs / apps and the platform as a whole; UWP is meant to be a platform for all future Windows applications, not just games. While UWP's benefits aren't that significant (and the drawbacks are) when it comes to games, UWP in general can bring a massive improvement over Win32 in daily-use and productivity software. So, I think that wishing UWP's death or failure just because it doesn't offer much for games is extremely short-sighted.

There's also that Windows is an open platform; currently even UWP is an open plaftorm (you can install apps without getting them from the Store). Even if MS locked UWP to their store, Win32 wouldn't go anywhere and so Windows would remain an open platform. Win32 isn't going anywhere for decades.

If Microsoft keeps UWP as an open platform, it can be a great replacement for Win32. Currently I see people bashing Microsoft for even attempting to make something new and more secure to replace the two-decade old and insecure Win32, which is silly.

Last edited:
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
UWP hate is retarded.
Try to look outside the scope of games, please.
Literally the same app fricking works on PC, phone, Xbox and future devices (Hololens), is faster, eats less battery power, uninstalls 100% cleanly, etc.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
UWP hate is retarded.
Try to look outside the scope of games, please.
Except....most of Microsoft's recent announcements and efforts regarding it have been game-centric. Of course the focus is going to be on it as a gaming platform. Microsoft has focused the scope there.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Except....most of Microsoft's recent announcements and efforts regarding it have been game-centric. Of course the focus is going to be on it as a gaming platform. Microsoft has focused the scope there.

Pretty sure most of the efforts have nothing to do with games as such, it's just that gamers are loud and obnoxious and therefore a worthy pursuit. :p

And aren't things famously terrible in gaming now anyway? All day long all I see is bitching about ports, and that is a valod thing to bitch about because they can indeed be famously terrible, but I don't know what people think. What exactly would be the optimal path forward? Linux, diverging things even more, or what?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Where Java's security is a complete fucking joke is the web plugin. Oh good god it's so bad.

No disagreement there. It's honestly reached the point where it's limiting Java's actual install base because people recommend you don't install it. Hurts devs on the platform.

Let me drive something home: I have NOTHING against UWP when it allows me to use non-walledgarden libraries like OpenGL, and such. Right now, it's trying to replace all that with microsoft-only solutions, many of which cost money. Fuck that.

And aren't things famously terrible in gaming now anyway?

No.

In Triple A gaming maybe.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
They've no more focused the scope of UWP on gaming than they have on literally every other genre of application. MS isn't stupid; they know that gaming is a big reason why people still use Windows, so of course they want to add feature parity to UWP to better compete against Win32 which has had literally decades of development done to it - both good and bad.

Wanting UWP to die - even though it's a far more modern, and far more secure API for EVERY application that's built for it - just because it isn't literally perfect this very moment (even though we're already seeing more gaming focused functionality added to it to make it better) is beyond stupid and short sighted. This is what MS is betting on finally being able to replace Win32 for the vast majority of applications and programs in existence. Something that in its default state is far more secure than anything you could make with Win32. Damning it to oblivion because of one imperfect aspect at this point in time is just unbelievably ignorant. They've already even announced about making it even easier to install third party UWP apps for the Anniversary Update. SLI/Crossfire support is already functional if the developer wants to code for it (remember, in DirectX 12, due to the low level nature, this kind of thing is up to the developer, it doesn't leave a lot of room for driver optimizations). The biggest thing that's still missing in terms of functionality is modding equivalent to that available on something like the Nexus Forums.

Even then though, they already announced at BUILD 2016 that they would be allowing developer mod solutions like Steam's Workshop model to work in UWP games. UWP is by no means a mature API platform yet. Don't judge it as one.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Damning it to oblivion because of one imperfect aspect is just unbelievably ignorant.

I won't damn it to oblivion the moment it takes the walled garden approach away. The moment it does that, I'll back down. But as it stands, I see nothing worth the expense of being forced to use all MS APIs in graphics and elsewhere (heck, I don't even think you can pull in SQLite or something last time I checked, but I develop for Win32 so could be wrong).

This isn't just limiting consumer options in mods. It's limiting developer flexibility itself.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
They've no more focused the scope of UWP on gaming than they have on literally every other genre of application. MS isn't stupid; they know that gaming is a big reason why people still use Windows, so of course they want to add feature parity to UWP to better compete against Win32 which has had literally decades of development done to it - both good and bad.

Wanting UWP to die - even though it's a far more modern, and far more secure API for EVERY application that's built for it - just because it isn't literally perfect this very moment (even though we're already seeing more gaming focused functionality added to it to make it better) is beyond stupid and short sighted. This is what MS is betting on finally being able to replace Win32 for the vast majority of applications and programs in existence. Something that in its default state is far more secure than anything you could make with Win32. Damning it to oblivion because of one imperfect aspect at this point in time is just unbelievably ignorant. They've already even announced about making it even easier to install third party UWP apps for the Anniversary Update. SLI/Crossfire support is already functional if the developer wants to code for it (remember, in DirectX 12, due to the low level nature, this kind of thing is up to the developer, it doesn't leave a lot of room for driver optimizations). The biggest thing that's still missing in terms of functionality is modding equivalent to that available on something like the Nexus Forums.

Even then though, they already announced at BUILD 2016 that they would be allowing developer mod solutions like Steam's Workshop model to work in UWP games. UWP is by no means a mature API platform yet. Don't judge it as one.

I disagree with you, but I respect your point of view. It is well thought out and reasoned, so I understand where you're coming from.

My opposition is because of the walled garden, that MS has deliberately put gaming into. I don't know how aware you are of MS's history of claiming to support PC gaming countless times, and then either shown apathy or actively worked against it.

Like the boy who cried wolf and was not believed, MS could tell me the sky is blue, and I would need independant verification. You and I disagree, but I respect your well explained position. I figure I will leave it at that.

System Name CUBE_NXT
My point that I keep making - that you don't seem to get - is that UWP is not specifically for gaming. Neither is the Windows Store. These are multi-purpose solutions, with the store being a curated front for applications and UWP being an entirely new API set meant to eventually replace Win32 for the vast majority of programs that currently exist for Windows that don't need anywhere near the kind of unfettered access that Win32 allows them.

This not a specific gaming feature to any of it beyond the fact that you can also make games. Your comparisons to GFWL are completely off for this one simple reason because you're focusing on just a small subset of what UWP entails and blowing it up and comparing it to something it most certainly isn't.

I won't damn it to oblivion the moment it takes the walled garden approach away.
Again, for the umpteenth time; the Windows Store is not UWP and UWP is not the Windows Store. The Windows Store is a walled garden, UWP is an API to make modern, sandboxed applications in. You can make and release a UWP app independent of the Store.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Let me guess, you don't really appreciate differences of opinion or debating, do you? You're one of those that MUST be right, else your world will crash down around you? :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Again, for the umpteenth time; the Windows Store is not UWP and UWP is not the Windows Store. The Windows Store is a walled garden, UWP is an API to make modern, sandboxed applications in. You can make and release a UWP app independent of the Store.

Can you use OpenGL or an external library?

This is an honest question. I've never tried developing a UWP app and am going by the article above.

PS: I couldn't care less about Windows store. I'm more concerned about resource access for modding and developer freedom.

You're one of those that MUST be right, else your world will crash down around you? :)

I don't know, I haven't been wrong yet so it's hard to say. ;)

Sarcasm, naturally (I've actually been wrong a lot). And I know it wasn't for me but I had to bite.

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I want Killer Instinct on steam please and working on Windows 7 please MS, can you do that or have you forced me (and 51% of all MS uses) to upgrade to a platform I dont want to use?

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
This thing should just die already.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I think this is just flame bait. btarunr seems to have been doing this more often lately rather then maintaining an objective outlook.

No its true. UWP needs to die, just as GFWL did.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
UWP is effectively a MS-controlled ecosystem within Windows. If this cancer is allowed to gain market share, users lose control over their applications, MS will be judge and jury with regards to what works and what doesn't, and all our machines take the massive step backward into the closed box ecosystem that those losers over at Apple are bound to.

I really could care less about the sandbox and its security. MS has built an OS that works very well today but they keep trying to push their market strategy within that OS and UWP is the worst iteration of it to date. They get more and more devious about it and it is scary as fuck. At the same time, they have been building on an OS that has very specific perks such as its configurable nature, both in hard- and software, and UWP is the one thing that will destroy all those perks in one strike. And all that, only to cater to a silly market strategy that does nothing to further the PC environment, but everything to cater to tablets and mobile devices. As always, security is used as the cover for pushing more control over the customer and the user, just like governments use terrorism and child pornography to reduce or remove civil rights.

UWP is of the same caliber as the dreaded Windows 8 Metro UI release, it's just a different tool for the same purpose. One Windows. One MS Store. One race to the bottom. They really do love taking one step forward and two steps back, just when you think they saw the light with Windows 10, they launch UWP and they do it with a level of arrogance that we know all too well. If this was really 'for its users' then it would not be enforced, it would be offered. Right now, this is just MS changing the rules of the game when the majority of its players have already entered it. The timing of UWP's launch and the state it got launched in, says enough. In the meantime, actual products that actual users paid actual money for, work like crap on it.

Now what they *should* do, if they want what people in this thread state UWP is for, is keep improving and keep monitoring Win32 and its security. That is all, and it means doing some work for nothing more than the continuation of a near-monopoly on Operating Systems. Apparently for MS, this is not enough or too much work. UWP is a solution for an imaginary problem and a vehicle for pushing a market strategy.

Last edited:
System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I find the quick poll a bit useless in my opinion. I am not a statistical guy, but "Yes/No" questions typically don't cater for discussion and given the context - a lot of tech-savvy people, I'd say the results must be with some huuge margins for interpretation.