• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI and ASUS Send VGA Review Samples with Higher Clocks than Retail Cards

I'm sorry but a "secret overclock" was not what happened here with these ASUS and MSI 1080s; it was sent with the OC Mode profile selected. The OC Mode BIOS clocks that review samples have are the same OC Mode BIOS clocks that retail customers can enable at will.

Sorry but you seem to have missed what I said before, the software doesn't switch between three BIOS, the cards only have one BIOS, what the software does is overclock or underclock the card depending if the user wants more power or less noise. The review cards had a different BIOS to the retail cards which enabled more performance out of the box.

Shame on all the reviewers that were surprised by this because they did not even check to see what clock speeds were selected

The funny thing is the clock speeds are shown in the reviews by GPUz, but MSI got away with it for three years because neither the reviewers or the readers picked up on it.

nor did they bother to test the preset mode options!

It's not normal to test bundled overclocking software in reviews (outside of overclocking tests, which are normally done with manual software).

I must disagree with this whole concept of solely testing a default setting "Out of the box".

That's how it has always been done, and how it will always be done (hence why MSI shipped review cards with a custom BIOS to trick reviewers).

These cards are designed to allow users to define which preset mode they choose, this choice is available as soon as one installs the card "Out of the box".

No it's not, the MSI overclocking software has to be installed to allow it. The retail cards have a balanced mode set in the BIOS and the bundled overclocking software can enable the OC or silent modes, the review cards have a different BIOS with the OC mode set as default in order to boost review scores.

Just because some reviewers or retail customers choose not to avail themselves of these factory preset modes does not mean there was any dishonesty on the part of these companies

Yes it does, MSI secretly shipped review cards that were faster than retail cards FOR THREE YEARS. Now they have been caught they have admitted what they have done, promised it won't happen in future, started shipping retail cards with the review BIOS and released the review BIOS for download for customers who already bought cards. NB: they have only done this for 1000 series cards, customers who bought 600/700/900 series have to manually find the review cards BIOS online.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Faster... by a margin of error difference.

I don't think this happened with the 6/7 series... at least with the cards we reviewed. I would need to double check. The spreadsheet on the front page doesn't show this happening on any 6 series cards. Was the Gaming App even out then??

The funny thing is the clock speeds are shown in the reviews by GPUz, but MSI got away with it for three years because neither the reviewers or the readers picked up on it.
I mentioned the difference in a review or two.. but didn't attribute it to the BIOS at the time. ;)

Also, some of the samples TPU listed we reviewed as well and did not receive the OC BIOS.

Last edited:
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
How was it a secret? Because nobody checked? If you review or buy a card, the first thing you check is CPU-Z to see what the clock speeds are against the published specs to see if you got what was promised, or even better.

Shame also on users who bought a multi-preset card and did not understand that they were easily able to switch modes as soon as the card was installed. If the objection is that they did not want to install the software, then they should not have purchased these cards as that is how they operate!

If a card features software to change it's factory presets and LED or RGB lighting, then a thorough review will test this to see how it works for the consumer as oftentimes product software is buggy!

Just because this was how something has always been done, does not make it correct. Many of these reviewers were, and are continuing to take shortcuts in reviewing these type of cards by not exploring all the features.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I will admit, before I knew I was getting substandard performance from my card I didn't care, but that didn't mean I still shouldn't care after finding out about MSI's scam. I was straight on the TPU BIOS database and downloading the review card BIOS to unlock my cards true performance (without the need to install bloatware).

So you don't use Afterburner, Trixx, etc, and you are worried about 30mhz?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The performance increase is neglible. Why not make it stock? I still don't think I shold have to bother installing software beyond drivers to get the same basic performance as the reviewers. And again, in reality it has no impact at all, so why have the options at all?

The performance increase is neglible. Why not make it stock? I still don't think I shold have to bother installing software beyond drivers to get the same basic performance as the reviewers. And again, in reality it has no impact at all, so why have the options at all?
The difference between silence and oc mode is much larger. Just gives noobs the ability to one touch overclock with the 'intimidation' of msi ab.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Common marketing tactic. It makes customers feel like they are getting something extra.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Common marketing tactic. It makes customers feel like they are getting something extra.

I'd like to see this opinion as part of the reviewers conclusions, but because many simply ignore the software settings and go straight to manual OCs, they overlook the typical consumer experience.

I'd like to see this opinion as part of the reviewers conclusions, but because many simply ignore the software settings and go straight to manual OCs, they overlook the typical consumer experience.
:rolleyes:

Most don't even overclock bub.

We've also already mentioned and showed the difference is less than 1% in this case (and likely with most pascal based gpus).

Can't please everyone... but we cover the vast majority with stock and overclocked results.

Last edited:
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
:rolleyes:

Most don't even overclock bub.

We've also already mentioned and showed the difference is less than 1% in this case (and likely with most pascal based gpus).

Can't please everyone... but we cover the vast majority with stock and overclocked results.

Please don't take my comment as directed at you personally, what I said goes for the majority of reviews that I have seen on cards that have multiple factory presets.
As a consumer, I look for commentary on these touted features which are supposed to justify the premium pricing for these custom boards.
If the presets available are not really all that useful(such as the middle Gaming preset), or as in the case of having to now use 3rd party software BIOS flashes to activate them with it's inherent risk, this information is critical to determine whether to purchase such a card.

I didn't take it personally. No worries! Just trying to share a different perspective.

If you look at it, there are only two modes. Default is 'gaming' mode on these cards (gaming line in all!). That leaves OC mode (in the case of the Gaming X 8G card, 24 MHz) which translates into almost nothing real world (more on Maxwell though) and Silence mode. Again, you do not need to BIOS flash to get the same performance, just install the app and hit the button. You can have the app startup with windows and apply it I believe, just like MSI AB.

Determining if it is worth it for a custom board means to overclock manually and push it like most reviewers do. Going into "OC Mode" would work for 99.9% of FE(reference) cards so that kind of testing really isn't testing anything within the context of the custom boards (be it cooler, power delivery area, etc). You essentially test if the application works. That is all you really get out of it. It isn't stressing the board at all to jump a few MHz without a voltage increase and test the cooler, power delivery area, etc. Its like taking your new Ferrari out on the town instead of to the track where it can be properly tested.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Again, you do not need to BIOS flash to get the same performance, just install the app and hit the button. You can have the app startup with windows and apply it I believe, just like MSI AB.

Ah see, then there was misinformation on this thread concerning how this was achieved. Some were saying that it had to be flashed.
This is where reviewers could be most helpful in dispelling the bad information and setting the record straight.

Not sure who said that, but they were wrong/you were mistaking. I have corrected your thoughts one that once or twice already. :)