• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x800 pro vivo @ xt pe specs hangs

zuckel

hi,

i recently bought a sapphire x800 pro vivo, which is running really fine with 16 pipelines and on x800 pro specs. the pipelines were activated by a simple bios flash, no hard-modding. everything's running really good so far.

now i tried clocking at xt pe speeds, that is 520/560. it will run just fine for some time, heat up steadily and eventually the system will hang, maybe distort the screen and reboot. after that, usually screen resolution is set to the smallest possible.

so i thought it should have something to do with the cooling. cuz it will run good for quite some time. the card usually runs at 81° under full load, which i consider pretty much, but it will never crash. so i got a new cooler for my baby and am now running on 57° under full load and on 520/560. but, nevertheless, it will crash after like 15 minutes. sometimes more sometimes less. even the ram dice that were completely uncooled before, got their own huge cooler now.

does anybody have a clue what it could be if not the temperature?
or is it just too hot? what temperatures do you guys get that succesfully oc a vivo at xt pe?

thanks alot!!
- zuckel

Last edited:
R

rikit_zap

My temps never go above 64C although 80C is well within specs I would consider it a little high. Did you use ATI tool to find the max running speeds of both core and memory? I let it find my max speeds with 10 minutes no artifacts then let it run for at least 2 more hours. Overnight would be better. I found my card's (ATI x800 Pro) max core was 227 and max memory 334. I now run at 506/506 comfortably. I believe that other users were able to raise their max memory with a volt mod, but unless you have a good multimeter and are willing to risk your $400 card I wouldn't recommend it.

I just reseated my cooler with less AS5 and dropped my temperatures a couple of C with same ambient.

Last edited by a moderator:

zuckel

i just tried the new atitool beta 4. the old one never detected any artifacts, but with the new version i can see them very early. they start rarely at 500 ram clocking, appear every couple minutes at 520 and every few seconds at 560. but the card won't crash, even if you go higher. what will really make it crash is a too high core clock.

i guess i'm just gonna run it on pro specs. that's fast enough anyway.
and i can still crank it up a bit when i start doom3... =Þ

cheers!

C

chris

TiTaNiuM

hi I have a X800 pro powercolor NON vivo I think, so it won't match to get 16 pipelines? I'd tried a couple of bios's buth it stayed on 12 piplines ... any help?

C

chris

I don't think you can enable the 16 pipelines on a NON vivo. :(

~Chris

zuckel

as far as i heard you will have to do a hard-mod on a non vivo card to get the missing pipelines. and it's possible that some of them are defect.

zuckel

btw, not sure if this is anything new. but at least when i did my bios flash, it was common to first use the gigabyte flash util to unlock 16 pipes and then flash with flashrom to whatever bios you like.

but after some research i actually found a modified version of flashrom that will do all the work for you and will also flash back to 12 pipes if needed. not sure if this is new anymore. but if anyone wants it? i can't remember where i got it from but i could mail it. uh w1zzard?