• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory divider

x800xtpe

hi all i have a prob with ocing my mobo/ ram.. will i can get my cpu up to about 3.8 but not stable the vcore is like 1.85 its a p4 3.2 northwood . my ram is 512 kingston value ram 2.5-3-3-7 . ive tried droping these timing to like 3-3-3-8 but still not stable my oc :( . my cooling is fine for my cpu since i have a aero lite 4 cpu cooler on it and temps are only 35... i have 4 x 512 sticks but i took out 2 and runing them dual chanel . also i droped the ram speed of them instead of 400mhz i droped em to 320mhz so roughly bout 330mhz with the fsb etc. the brand of the ram on the chip is HYNIX . so im not sure why its not stable.. also if i try to run 3.9ghz my windows wont boot :confused: says something when booting up like " this file is corupt and may be repaired by inserting the windows xp disc at startup " .. any ideas??????? will a divider do anything coz its curently on 1:1

Attachments

• cpuz ram.JPG
    cpuz ram.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 578
  • cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 642
Try 5:4, take down your vcore or your chip will die. But that also might be your chip's limit, because 3.8-4ghz on a northwood is rare. Also your motherboard might now be able to handle a 240+ fsb

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
x800xtpe said:
hi all i have a prob with ocing my mobo/ ram.. will i can get my cpu up to about 3.8 but not stable the vcore is like 1.85 its a p4 3.2 northwood . my ram is 512 kingston value ram 2.5-3-3-7 . ive tried droping these timing to like 3-3-3-8 but still not stable my oc :( . my cooling is fine for my cpu since i have a aero lite 4 cpu cooler on it and temps are only 35... i have 4 x 512 sticks but i took out 2 and runing them dual chanel . also i droped the ram speed of them instead of 400mhz i droped em to 320mhz so roughly bout 330mhz with the fsb etc. the brand of the ram on the chip is HYNIX . so im not sure why its not stable.. also if i try to run 3.9ghz my windows wont boot :confused: says something when booting up like " this file is corupt and may be repaired by inserting the windows xp disc at startup " .. any ideas??????? will a divider do anything coz its curently on 1:1

You need to find the CPU oc first .... drop the memory to 266mhz and timming to 3.0-3-3-8 .... this should take memory out of the equation to find the CPUs highest clock speeds ... Use Systool to find max CPU ... it'll get you close ... the value ram is pc3200 I presume and for the sake of testing you may want to use just two sticks... hopefully you purchased kits with matching pairs, does help the cause. After finding the max oc of the CPU this will tell you the memory divider that'll need to use. Obivously I would think your CPU can clock to 225mhz FSB thats means memory needs to run at 450mhz at 1:1 with default timings... with that in mind you can find the max the memory can go at 1:1 with default timings, now if the memory can keep up with CPU then you'll be in great shape ... but if not you'll need to drop the divider to 3:2 and push the FSB to the highest CPU speed ... again depending on the FSB and if the memory can keep pace you'll either drop divider again or tighten the memory timings to something that is stable... don't forget to set the memory voltage to highest settings listed by the mem manufactor (warranty).... hope that ramble was helpful .. :)

I highly suggest you lower your Vcore, just google up SNDS or Sudden Northwood death Syndrome.
A voltage over 1.7V can be very lethal to Northwoods no matter their temps.

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Motherboard DFI LP NF4 Sli-D
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Memory OCZ 2x1gb Platinum
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD3850 512
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Display(s) Samsung 22" LCD
Case Tsami Dream
Audio Device(s) Onboard w/Logitech 5.1's
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream700 Watt
Software XP Pro SP2
x800xtpe said:

With a i875P board, you would do well to get memory that has TCCD chips on BrainPower PCB's. I have had Hynix chips and they do not OC very well. I would think Hynix may be the instability problem you are expierencing.

x800xtpe

well i tried puting ram to 266mhz while my comp was oced to 3.9 and ram timings 3-3-3-8 but i cant get past 3.9 :mad: . damn windows system file gets corupt . also i find problems trying to bench like 3dmark05 or 03 . it always closes down sayin 3dmark has encountered and erorr and needs to close :banghead: :banghead: lol . i tried reintslin the 3damrks also but does jacks shit

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Motherboard DFI LP NF4 Sli-D
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Memory OCZ 2x1gb Platinum
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD3850 512
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Display(s) Samsung 22" LCD
Case Tsami Dream
Audio Device(s) Onboard w/Logitech 5.1's
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream700 Watt
Software XP Pro SP2
That simply tells you the OC is too high.
Drop it down to when the system is stable.