• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Widespread Cheating in Multiplayer Online Games Frustrates Consumers

I very highly agree. Cheating/hacking on online games is much more prevalent than some of the naysayers think. Granted once in a while there are very good players who aren't cheating but are accused of it. But it doesn't take a long search online to find hacks being sold for nearly every online game for a $10-$15 monthly fee. And those paid hacks are very well written, with quite a bit of logic in them to defeat cheat detectors.

So as long as there are people willing to do anything to win including pay to cheat to boost their ego, and there is big money in creating cheats, it's going to be a problem. It's just too easy with PC games where the client files are local to get around them, even with protections.

And as a gamer, it ruins the game to run into cheaters. Some games have such widespread cheating that you basically have to cheat just to get to an even playing field (World of Warships was like this with aimbotting but they finally cracked down on it after a couple years). The Division is an example of a game (at least the pvp aspects of it) that was ruined by cheaters early on, and devs were too slow to crack down to the point that most legit players left. Devs have really got to understand how widespread cheating can completely ruin an otherwise excellent game. It's one of the reasons for the resurgence in single-player games in my opinon.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And as a gamer, it ruins the game to run into cheaters. Some games have such widespread cheating that you basically have to cheat just to get to an even playing field (World of Warships was like this with aimbotting but they finally cracked down on it after a couple years).

The day that I need to cheat to be on an even playing field is the day that I quit a game. I will never cheat as there is no gratification in it.

D

Deleted member 67555

I have never cheated on a game nor taken advantage of a glitch.
If you suck at the game practice or move in to something you are good at...
Why is that so hard to understand?

So as long as there are people willing to do anything to win including pay to cheat to boost their ego, and there is big money in creating cheats, it's going to be a problem.
Exactly. This is a symptom if a larger problem with society. Some are willing to work and develop actual skill, other's want the easy way.

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
While encountering legit cheaters can be very frustrating, there's also the matter of latency, which feels worse somehow. Because you only encounter cheaters rarely, but when you have 200-300ms ping and you face someone with 15 - 50ms, the results are the same, and it keeps happening almost ALL the time. Shitty lag compensation, lack of local servers and horrible matchmaking are far more likely to deter a player from spending any money on the game than cheating.