• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic vs Apple: Microsoft Files in Support of Epic Games

"Let the customers decide"

Well, I did - I don't have a smartphone, except one Samsung unregistered to anything - WIP where I'm checking how many useful apps can I run without email registration or putting a SIM inside (it's not a phone, as such, I know).

Thing is that Google and Apple are duopoly who abuse their position in every manner imaginable. 'Phone as a service', really... A gadget that I paid good money for, requires additional payment of service (phone bill, internet), paying for applications - each of those things I'm relatively OK with. What I'm not OK with is that I'm like a guest-account on the device I supposedly own, can't turn off a number of things and have very little control over device overall - especially for things that matter to me - damn, I can't take out the battery from iPhone...

Add the extortion fee of 30% to that (both Google and Apple, but also Steam for example) and it's kinda easy to side with Epic, who does the same as the Steam competition.

The very thing that Google and Apple are still existing and are allowed to continue with anti-customer practices they use, is the final proof that there is no God.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
"Let the customers decide"

Well, I did - I don't have a smartphone, except one Samsung unregistered to anything - WIP where I'm checking how many useful apps can I run without email registration or putting a SIM inside (it's not a phone, as such, I know).

Thing is that Google and Apple are duopoly who abuse their position in every manner imaginable. 'Phone as a service', really... A gadget that I paid good money for, requires additional payment of service (phone bill, internet), paying for applications - each of those things I'm relatively OK with. What I'm not OK with is that I'm like a guest-account on the device I supposedly own, can't turn off a number of things and have very little control over device overall - especially for things that matter to me - damn, I can't take out the battery from iPhone...

Add the extortion fee of 30% to that (both Google and Apple, but also Steam for example) and it's kinda easy to side with Epic, who does the same as the Steam competition.

The very thing that Google and Apple are still existing and are allowed to continue with anti-customer practices they use, is the final proof that there is no God.

You should be able to both root your Samsung phone and install an alternative app store. Those aren't default options, but there is an argument in not having a phone rooted by default that is more valid than just not allowing it whatsoever.

You should be able to both root your Samsung phone and install an alternative app store. Those aren't default options, but there is an argument in not having a phone rooted by default that is more valid than just not allowing it whatsoever.
Yeah, I rooted it... It's just an experiment, I'm still successfully avoiding the rising need of actually owning and using one - though my company has been trying for the last decade to make me :)

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Sorry, I don't follow. It might be a language issue, but I don't fully understand the argument of why you can't let the customer decide how they want to install games/apps on the devices that they own?
Can you explain in a more concise way? I get you don't like EGS or Epic, but that isn't really relevant to the question. Putting all that aside, why shouldn't a consumer be able to choose different ways of installing/paying for 3rd party apps on their personal devices?

From the quotes, I'm guessing that's sarcasm around "security". Surely it should still be up to the consumer how "secure" they want to make their device. I mean, Microsoft could do this too, right? Only allow apps to be installed through the windows store to keep windows devices more secure? What would the fallout of that be?
Hi,
Well some features of win-10 you do have to use a ms account xbox is just one.

all this bubbling is a sign of misery mate. You keep bullshiting about Epic/Tencent, while its Epic and Tencent is just an investor without control. You clearly love paying 30% for everythin to Apple, even though you think they are garbage.

Who told you that Epic is looking for individual exceptions. they want the 30% cut decreased for everyone. they have already shwon they are pro-developer when they created a new store and introduced lower cut themselves

What bullshit you are spewing here dude ? I don't even have an Apple device, it doesn't matter even if I have or not, The money anyone pays is the same for 70-30 or 80-30 cut deals by platform - publisher so customer pays AAA title price, what are you taking about eh, Go and pay more to the EGS Tencent crap and enjoy those "exclusives" with their trash platform funded by CCP/Tencent. 30% rate has been industry standard with all these platforms. EGS is too greedy and they do not want to lose any cent, that's all it is here and pushing against the platforms to control.

Investor without control. And what else dude ? What else bullshit you want to spew more, like board of directors do not have any control. Will you also say that no that ActivisionBlizzard removed the Trailer of Black Ops Cold War because it was banned in China and Blizz/Acti cannot leave their Tencent made COD mobile money ? It's always money that speaks, your claim that investors have zero control over the product is BS at it's finest.

Last edited:
Epic takes significantly lower share for Game Store, too... You can't just proclaim anything 'an industry standard' when the monopoly is in question