• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

One in Six US Laptops Sold by Apple

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
According to market watcher NPD, Apple was the third largest laptop vendor during June, with only Toshiba and HP selling more machines. This puts Apple ahead of other major names such as Dell, Gateway and Lenovo, as buyers continue to choose Apple's updated MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks over the more conventional brands. Figures show that Apple accounted for 17.6% of the laptop market, up from 14.3% in May, which also means that more than one in six laptops sold in the USA are made by Apple. However, these are only based on retailer sales, so the direct-to-buyer figures may tell a completely different story. This news comes soon after Apple managed to take the third-spot in overall computer sales, tied with Gateway on 5.6% (behind Dell and HP).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
i wonder how much of these sales have been generated by apple allowing use of windows and the exploding battery saga endured by the rest of the manufacturers.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I don't think people buy an Apple machine for Windows...The only convience is when you had a old Windows machine and want to put your copy of Windows on your Macbook (for convience).

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
People are buying Macs because they are sometimes higher quality than other laptops. Also, people know that vista doesn't work very well and XP is becoming outdated. However, I think the biggest reason is that they are trendy. If someone carries their laptop around then they're either a nerd or an uptight businessman. Cary a macbook around and you're suddenly hip, artsy, and relaxed. Apple has had an extraordinarily successful advertising campaign over the last 4 or 5 years. Tip of the hat to them.

This can be evidenced by asking someone why a Mac is better than a PC. They will generally utter vague generalities associated with marketing. For example: "Macs are just better" "They're cool" "They're Pretty" "Macs are faster" "Macs are better for Art".

When in reality the main difference between a Mac and a PC is the OS and the higher quality chassis. There isn't as much of an architecture difference anymore since Macs now use intel processors.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
People are buying Macs because they are sometimes higher quality than other laptops. Also, people know that vista doesn't work very well and XP is becoming outdated. However, I think the biggest reason is that they are trendy. If someone carries their laptop around then they're either a nerd or an uptight businessman. Cary a macbook around and you're suddenly hip, artsy, and relaxed. Apple has had an extraordinarily successful advertising campaign over the last 4 or 5 years. Tip of the hat to them.

I can agree with this, but Apple doesn't make their own laptop bags (so you really don't know what kind of laptop a person really has). Also, you left out college students in your list of examples! :laugh:

EDIT: Mac does have a better ease of use in my opinion. However, this should be a wake up call to other companies about what people like and don't like. Obviously people want their 1,500$ laptop investment to look as well as it runs. Other companies need to take notice of what Apple is doing.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Display(s) Acer X203w
It's because I'm seeing an upswing of college students buying macbooks and/or wanting to buy macbooks. They're becoming more associated with being a trendy young college student than laptops are. The number one response I receive when asking someone at college why they want a macbook is, "Because they're so cool man!"

Casheti

The first thing that amazed me about a Mac was when I use OSX. That was beast :eek: And I used one of the G series desktops with the built in camera and stuff and it was so damn cool.

And the fact they're all white makes them really cool. Combined with a nice clean O/S it's the best computer out there.

And some Mac Laptops can run BF2 really nicely. BF2 in college :toast:

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Display(s) Acer X203w
The first thing that amazed me about a Mac was when I use OSX. That was beast :eek: And I used one of the G series desktops with the built in camera and stuff and it was so damn cool.

And the fact they're all white makes them really cool. Combined with a nice clean O/S it's the best computer out there.

And some Mac Laptops can run BF2 really nicely. BF2 in college :toast:

No offense, but Casheti you just made my point about their excellent marketing campaign and people using marketing generalities to explain why they bought a mac.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
People are buying Macs because they are sometimes higher quality than other laptops. Also, people know that vista doesn't work very well and XP is becoming outdated. However, I think the biggest reason is that they are trendy.

#1 reason: OS X.
Geek squad is expensive.

No more geek squad? No more spyware? No more adware?
Its amazing how many people are like YES!!!!!

#2 reason: Machines look nice.

I take my macbook pro to people's house to fix things, they're like WOW THATS A NICE LAPTOP!

Ad best of all, I can set someone up with a new macbook, with all opensource software that can do EVERYTHING they will need, and then some! :rockout:
Plus, who doesn't love adium? :toast: Best IM ever.

If that isn't enough to sell them... "you can always run windows if you hate os x" always wins.

Its like buying a hybrid with the guarantee you can always switch to the gas guzzling engine at any time.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Display(s) Acer X203w
Yeah, dippy I'm just talking about the majority. I know you know your macs, and that there are many people that buy macs with good reason.

TXcharger

Processor Intel Prescott 3.0ghz with HT o/c to 3.5ghz
Motherboard Biostar P4M80-M4 (agp)
Cooling AIR!! with Arctic Silver 5 on processor and vga
Memory 2gb(1gb x 2) OCZ high performance PC3200 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800gto r430 445/545(1100 effective) w/ Zalman FATALITY fan and Omega Drivers 3.8.360
Storage Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm
Display(s) 19in dell flatscreen LCD
Case Dell Dimension 3000
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply stock 350 watt
Software Windows XP sp2
macs are ridiculously expensive... i built that laptop in my sig for right around 1400 and i think it looks better and will definitely out perform any macbook out... wait for my review coming soon! and you will be converted :)

macs are for wussies

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
It's because I'm seeing an upswing of college students buying macbooks and/or wanting to buy macbooks. They're becoming more associated with being a trendy young college student than laptops are. The number one response I receive when asking someone at college why they want a macbook is, "Because they're so cool man!"

i totally agree cause that the macbooks are trendy like the i-pods were. I've never used one but i do here that they are good but i would never buy one cause i've never used one.

also does running windows on a macbook make it slower cause its not made for it?

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
also does running windows on a macbook make it slower cause its not made for it?

Why would it?

Its pc hardware... only difference is it uses the CSM for EFI instead of a bios. Windows couldn't tell the difference if it tried.

macs are ridiculously expensive... i built that laptop in my sig for right around 1400 and i think it looks better and will definitely out perform any macbook out... wait for my review coming soon! and you will be converted :)

macs are for wussies

Ignorance is bliss, too.

Thing is, users are no longer in need of "speed" when it comes to a computer. A core 2 duo will run e-mail, instant messaging, homework papers, and browsing more than adequately for the next few years.

The general user is now feeling the pain of how much the places like geek squad charge, and when they see a mac doesn't have to do that...

well its pretty self explanitory why people are liking them.

"its cool" is just going to get their foot in the door. Once they own it, they likely won't go back to a PC.

And thats where windows is going to get screwed in the long run. You can brag and sing and praise any performance advantages you want, but the majority of people owning computers don't really care, if you can guarantee they will almost NEVER have to format because some spyware is screwing up windows, and they have a paper due in 12 hours.

If you're willing to put in the time, yeah maybe you can get a few frames per second by living with windows. Most people would prefer to save the hours of time it takes cleaning windows, and do it right the first time. But for some people, penny pinching is worth more than endless headaches, and geek squad bills that eventually bring the true TCO to a windows machine significantly higher than a mac will ever reach.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Really not everyone is saying these things though... Most people who buy computers don't know what half the components are even doing (in my opinion). Most people couldn't tell you the language used for writing the OS (again, imo).

Bottom line is (at least it seems to me)...you guys are getting your answers about Macs from people who don't know jack about a computer, so they say the computer is "cool". That's their way of saying that they like the computer, and in their opinon it's an awesome piece of technolgy. So in that sense, it may be trendy yes, but they consider it to be an awesome computer.

What's wrong with those answers? Do you consider them to be false answers because the person doesn't know as much about the computer as say maybe you?

No offense to anyone. :)

Last edited:
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
What's wrong with those answers? Do you consider them to be false answers because the person doesn't know as much about the computer as say maybe you?

No offense to anyone. :)

Ofcourse!

Consumers are never allowed to like a product, because it doesnt get 999fps in css!!! :eek:

Therefore its worthless overpriced and the scum of the earth.

:toast:

Not really a need to defend this situation though, the numbers speak for themselves, despite what any fanboy says. apple's market has grown exponentially, and will continue.

Mac os X leopard(10.5) will only strengthen this market growth.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
thats a nice law of averages for mac there.

I admit, I like the macs look and power, but Im not a fan of APPLE software.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Honestly, I hate OSX. I've screwed around with it in an apple store and I was like how the hell do I open something simple. Honestly, no start, nothing I'm used to, office you need a special mac version, you can't get this on it etc. Now also honestly, I love how the macbooks work. If when I bought my laptop I could afford 2 grand to drop on a laptop with boot camp, I would've done it. But fact of the matter is that something close to (better in gfx) in mac form costs ~1000 more. For me, saving a $1000 is much more of an advantage than the looks. Now maybe when I get rich and can afford nice toys....it'll be a different story.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I own a six pc's, running various forms of linux and/or windows.
I own a laptop that only runs linux.
I own a G3 mac that runs OsX

I'm planning on buying a Mac Powerbook...

Reasons-
Looks really sharp IMO
Aluminum case *please can't touch that in most pc companies
Great looking screen
Great for audio dj software
I can get a sweet deal because I have a friend who manages a store

Although I may not know a lot about Mac's I have grown a love for OsX, seriously I think it's the best thing since and Gui was invented. It's disturbingly fast, easy, and yet offers everything you need for basic serving and advanced tech work the annoying wizards in Vista wont let you get around. Do some people have poor reasons for liking it, yes, is the apple market flooded by fan boys, ohh believe me it is, but OsX and what Apple did to it is exactly what Microsoft needs to do to windows, Start Fresh, Start New, Completely and get it done right.

I am also considering installing Mac OsX on my main machine for digital audio recording and editing work. I have no use for a Mac desktop, and wont pay the premium price for one, the notebook I can justify.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Mac is honestly the best OS I have ever experienced. However, when it comes to gaming Windows is currently the best. In the near future, all of this will soon change, due to profit.

I own a six pc's, running various forms of linux and/or windows.
I own a laptop that only runs linux.
I own a G3 mac that runs OsX

I'm planning on buying a Mac Powerbook...

Reasons-
Looks really sharp IMO
Aluminum case *please can't touch that in most pc companies
Great looking screen
Great for audio dj software
I can get a sweet deal because I have a friend who manages a store

Although I may not know a lot about Mac's I have grown a love for OsX, seriously I think it's the best thing since and Gui was invented. It's disturbingly fast, easy, and yet offers everything you need for basic serving and advanced tech work the annoying wizards in Vista wont let you get around. Do some people have poor reasons for liking it, yes, is the apple market flooded by fan boys, ohh believe me it is, but OsX and what Apple did to it is exactly what Microsoft needs to do to windows, Start Fresh, Start New, Completely and get it done right.

I am also considering installing Mac OsX on my main machine for digital audio recording and editing work. I have no use for a Mac desktop, and wont pay the premium price for one, the notebook I can justify.

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
Storage 2x 74g 10000rpm Raid:0
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 widescreen
Software 3dmark06 score: 7650
Geek squad is expensive.

No more geek squad? No more spyware? No more adware?
Its amazing how many people are like YES!!!!!
Dippy, your spyware and adware defense is getting a bit outdated. I don't know anybody who has spyware/adware problems. not even my grandparents. That's just old-school mac commercial PC slander.

Besides, I'd never buy a laptop with only 1 mouse button ;) You can go ahead and have fun with your macbook though; I won't try to stop you.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Dippy, your spyware and adware defense is getting a bit outdated. I don't know anybody who has spyware/adware problems. not even my grandparents. That's just old-school mac commercial PC slander.

Besides, I'd never buy a laptop with only 1 mouse button ;) You can go ahead and have fun with your macbook though; I won't try to stop you.

1 Mouse button.... Now you are in old school mac.....

And although adware and spyware issues have taken a pretty strong cut back, a lot of people still worry about it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

I can't remember the last time a Mac came with a one-button mouse. And even if it did, who cares? 2 button mice are cheap, and work just like they do in Windows.

And nobody has spyware/adware problems? Tell that to my mother, and her recently acquired bug. Received from Myspace, on a dial-up connection, with both Norton 07 and Spyware Dr running.

Which is another point, you DON'T NEED that software on OS X, but you do on Windows, especially if you are just an average PC user.

While you may feel the argument played out, it doesn't change the fact that it still rings true.