• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Announces the Steam Deck Game Console

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
1) Anything a PS4 can play well, this can play as well or better.
Not really. PS4 had some console specific optimizations. GTA 5 wouldn't run well on AMD Bobcat cores on PC, but it does on PS4.

It is going to be AMAZING for emulation.
Yes and no. It has power, but it runs linux, so you lose some Windows only emulators. Also that gamepad limits emulation choices (Pretty much impossible to map Sega Master System, Wii, N64 gamepads to this thing without aftermarket gamepads). Weak CPU individual cores, mean that emulation will be limited to no more than PS2. Small storage means that you won't be able to store many games. If you want to play PS2 titles, well, you only have so much space left after Steam OS. On 64GB models, that will be only 10 games, excluding double disk games. And despite all the hype about emulation, I still feel that people just like idea more than actually running games through one.

2) Battery life will be near 8 hours for indie games and emulation.
I very highly doubt that. Wouldn't expect more than 5 and more than 2-3 hours of AAA gaming.

4) A full ryzen desktop is not remotely portable and comparing them is ignoring the appeal of a handheld device. Look at how popular the Nintendo DS and Switch have been. There is a market for handheld devices.
Sure there is, but Nintendo actually made specific OS for it, made UI work for handheld and made everything functional, meanwhile Valve tries to just put linux on handheld and it should work, I haven't even mentioned system requirements for games, about which Nintendo gamers don't ever need to care about. Buying this thing is essentially buying a small handheld PC, it's not a full console.

5) Hacked together some kind of linux? Please. You are assuming it is half-assed. Proton has come a long way from the first steam machine. Most windows games are playable on linux RIGHT NOW because of Valve. The games that just don't work are because of various anti-cheat implementations, of which Valve has announced they are working on.
I don't doubt that, but like I said before, where's gamepad support for linux? Can you use a whole distro with just gamepad? Where are some other console optimizations? Where are Deck specific performance optimizations? Having a proton is just bare minimum, I'm talking about actually polished and finished linux distro, that is actually nice to use and can go head to head against Switch. Not just some cobbled together, "it kind of works" stuff.

Your opinions on the Steam Deck are objectively false or are unrealistic expectations.
I think that realistic expectation is that sloppily developed console with small budget and zero ecosystem is going to suck, seems reasonable to me. It's not even a console, it's a PC and with thin client internals. Obviously a handheld console is marketable and desirable thing, but not some thin client with near zero software development and optimizations. I think that if Sony made PSP 3, it would sell more than Deck.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Not really. PS4 had some console specific optimizations. GTA 5 wouldn't run well on AMD Bobcat cores on PC, but it does on PS4.

Yes and no. It has power, but it runs linux, so you lose some Windows only emulators. Also that gamepad limits emulation choices (Pretty much impossible to map Sega Master System, Wii, N64 gamepads to this thing without aftermarket gamepads). Weak CPU individual cores, mean that emulation will be limited to no more than PS2. Small storage means that you won't be able to store many games. If you want to play PS2 titles, well, you only have so much space left after Steam OS. On 64GB models, that will be only 10 games, excluding double disk games. And despite all the hype about emulation, I still feel that people just like idea more than actually running games through one.

I very highly doubt that. Wouldn't expect more than 5 and more than 2-3 hours of AAA gaming.

Sure there is, but Nintendo actually made specific OS for it, made UI work for handheld and made everything functional, meanwhile Valve tries to just put linux on handheld and it should work, I haven't even mentioned system requirements for games, about which Nintendo gamers don't ever need to care about. Buying this thing is essentially buying a small handheld PC, it's not a full console.

I don't doubt that, but like I said before, where's gamepad support for linux? Can you use a whole distro with just gamepad? Where are some other console optimizations? Where are Deck specific performance optimizations? Having a proton is just bare minimum, I'm talking about actually polished and finished linux distro, that is actually nice to use and can go head to head against Switch. Not just some cobbled together, "it kind of works" stuff.

I think that realistic expectation is that sloppily developed console with small budget and zero ecosystem is going to suck, seems reasonable to me. It's not even a console, it's a PC and with thin client internals. Obviously a handheld console is marketable and desirable thing, but not some thin client with near zero software development and optimizations. I think that if Sony made PSP 3, it would sell more than Deck.
Look I am not going to argue with all that but two points it uses steam OS and I have on a pc your PS4 or Xbox pad is all you need. ..
And the OS is swappable, win 10-11 should work fine.
And your regarding the lowest one as the norm 33% went high, most went 256Gb Soo ignoring 75% with more than 64GB is ignorance.
Also I would argue a fair few including me might get the low end one to put my OWN nvme in?!.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
And the OS is swappable, win 10-11 should work fine.
Key word is should. Steam is surely not going to make any Windows drivers for it and generic drivers are mostly good for very common and usual hardware, which Deck isn't.

And your regarding the lowest one as the norm 33% went high, most went 256Gb Soo ignoring 75% with more than 64GB is ignorance.
They can put even a zettabyte of storage, I won't care. I think that this handheld PC is going to have far more problems than storage alone. Remember Steam OS? It didn't turn out to be commercially viable. And Valve tried several times to make it real. I see no new reasons, why it shouldn't end up sucking this time.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Key word is should. Steam is surely not going to make any Windows drivers for it and generic drivers are mostly good for very common and usual hardware, which Deck isn't.

They can put even a zettabyte of storage, I won't care. I think that this handheld PC is going to have far more problems than storage alone. Remember Steam OS? It didn't turn out to be commercially viable. And Valve tried several times to make it real. I see no new reasons, why it shouldn't end up sucking this time.
Steam didn't sell steam OS ,did you use it, you seam very neg on something I found to be significantly better and easier to use than Any other gaming OS including driver handling, it's that simple, I don't just game but your ideas on it won't pan out I assure you(the OS).

You see no benefit or point so no one's looking to change your mind just counter your less than objective negativity you're speaking like only God tier pc performance could possibly do for everyone when it's you and a fair few others, for some it will perform well lookup 5700G performance and that uses Vega , more power but drive's twice the pixel's.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Steam didn't sell steam OS ,did you use it, you seam very neg on something I found to be significantly better and easier to use than Any other gaming OS including driver handling, it's that simple, I don't just game but your ideas on it won't pan out I assure you(the OS).
It's not about me, it's how it did in the market and it pretty much failed to be even a minor player.

You see no benefit or point so no one's looking to change your mind just counter your less than objective negativity you're speaking like only God tier pc performance could possibly do for everyone when it's you and a fair few others, for some it will perform well lookup 5700G performance and that uses Vega , more power but drive's twice the pixel's.
I often defend really cheap and weak hardware, but not this time. This time the hardware is cheap and weak, but sold at massive premium and you get tried and failed product, which is a handheld computer. Many other brands tried to make these and they failed, Valve did nothing special and thus there's no reason to think that it's going to be good.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I very highly doubt that. Wouldn't expect more than 5 and more than 2-3 hours of AAA gaming
We will have to wait for real hands on reviews to resolve this disagreement.
despite all the hype about emulation, I still feel that people just like idea more than actually running games through one.
I am not an average gamer, but emulation is one of the primary reasons I want one of these. I have reserved one and will be emulating games on it.
Running steam on almost any distribution of Linux is easy. SteamOS has all the power and functionality of Linux but uses Steams big picture mode as the default UI. Big picture mode is a very well designed UI. Controller support is there. I agree with @TheoneandonlyMrK on the functionality of Steam on Linux being very usable.
It's not even a console, it's a PC and with thin client internals.
I am so excited about this device because it is not a console, but a PC with Linux and console tier hardware.
I think that if Sony made PSP 3, it would sell more than Deck.
I think it would, by quite a large margin. Sony has quite a fan base and the business network to make it a success. I don't think that makes the Steam Deck any less impressive from a hardware and software perspective.
It's not about me, it's how it did in the market and it pretty much failed to be even a minor player.
I don't think anyone, not even valve expected that or this to have market penetration like mainstream consoles do, nor does it need to in order to be successful.
Valve did nothing special.
I think valve put together a very well balanced handheld device. It is special because no one else would even consider trying to do this. The most impressive thing is the improvements to gaming on Linux that Valve has developed for this device. The hardware will be temporary but the software will improve the experience of everyone trying to game on Linux, while being a stepping stone to future improvements. Gaming on Linux is getting into a really good position now.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

I often defend really cheap and weak hardware, but not this time. This time the hardware is cheap and weak, but sold at massive premium and you get tried and failed product, which is a handheld computer. Many other brands tried to make these and they failed, Valve did nothing special and thus there's no reason to think that it's going to be good.
We disagree, clearly.

Many other brands were not valve, many other brands did not have such a powerful soc , it's in my eyes beyond a Nintendo and if you think AMD can't bring some of the optimisation of a console to a pc you must not have been paying attention ala Vulkan.

As I said we disagree, and all your now doing is regurgitating the same opinion.

Your opinion IS ALL About you, that's clear.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
I am not an average gamer, but emulation is one of the primary reasons I want one of these. I have reserved one and will be emulating games on it.
Okay, it's just that emulation can be done on basically anything else and if you want to emulate PS3, then you absolutely need something with very good CPU single threaded performance.

I think it would, by quite a large margin. Sony has quite a fan base and the business network to make it a success. I don't think that makes the Steam Deck any less impressive from a hardware and software perspective.
I clearly mentioned much better UI and gamepad integration, but if that isn't important to you, then my reasoning is lost on you.

I don't think anyone, not even valve expected that or this to have market penetration like mainstream consoles do, nor does it need to in order to be successful.
It has to be successful. What's the point for corporation to make something that doesn't sell? There's no point in that. Corps want money and to make money their products have to sell. To date, pretty much all Steam hardware has been mostly commercial failures or very meek successes.

I think valve put together a very well balanced handheld device. It is special because no one else would even consider trying to do this.
Until 9 months later, you will see someone else ripping off the idea with exactly the same Ryzen SoC. This is tech world, innovation barely matters, if it doesn't translate into something. And if something is successful, then few months later there will be others trying to cash in.

The most impressive thing is the improvements to gaming on Linux that Valve has developed for this device. The hardware will be temporary but the software will improve the experience of everyone trying to game on Linux, while being a stepping stone to future improvements. Gaming on Linux is getting into a really good position now.
This isn't specific to Steam Deck and linux gamer still say that for a long time and linux gaming still barely exists.

It wasn't all that great, on older hardware it increased CPU requirements and reduced performance.

Your opinion IS ALL About you, that's clear.
And what does the market think about it? So far I haven't really heard about any truly successful linux gaming thing (be it console or computer). Linux users are often very extreme fanboys drunk on linux Koolaid and think that linux is the big next thing and it's been decades and linux in consumer space is still a tiny niche just like it always has been.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I clearly mentioned much better UI and gamepad integration, but if that isn't important to you, then my reasoning is lost on you.
I don't think you understand how good the UI and gamepad integration currently is. These are not things we need to wait to test. It is fully functional and testable now.
It has to be successful. What's the point for corporation to make something that doesn't sell? There's no point in that. Corps want money and to make money their products have to sell. To date, pretty much all Steam hardware has been mostly commercial failures or very meek successes.
Valve doesn't want to be in the hardware business. They are trying to slowly build gaming on Linux because they are worried about Microsoft forcing Valve out of the market via the windows store. They have been developing the software necessary to make this happen. This device is meant to demonstrate how far gaming on Linux has come.
Until 9 months later, you will see someone else ripping off the idea with exactly the same Ryzen SoC.
This is Valves stated goal from the various interviews. They want others to copy and improve upon the steam deck. They would be very happy if Epic forked SteamOS and made a similar or better device that had the epic game store by default. Valve isn't trying to become a hardware manufacturer. They are trying to build infrastructure for a market where their game store would thrive.
This isn't specific to Steam Deck and linux gamer still say that for a long time and linux gaming still barely exists.
That is what is so special here. Valve is almost single handedly making gaming on Linux viable. They have made serious strides and the Steam Deck is going to show how far it has come.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Okay, it's just that emulation can be done on basically anything else and if you want to emulate PS3, then you absolutely need something with very good CPU single threaded performance.

Until 9 months later, you will see someone else ripping off the idea with exactly the same Ryzen SoC. This is tech world, innovation barely matters, if it doesn't translate into something. And if something is successful, then few months later there will be others trying to cash in.

It wasn't all that great, on older hardware it increased CPU requirements and reduced performance.

And what does the market think about it? So far I haven't really heard about any truly successful linux gaming thing (be it console or computer). Linux users are often very extreme fanboys drunk on linux Koolaid and think that linux is the big next thing and it's been decades and linux in consumer space is still a tiny niche just like it always has been.
I'm far from drunk on Linux coolaid and the first one mentioning fanboys in my eyes shows his thinking, well done.

But I still disagree and obviously you can't make a console /pc without an OS so wouldn't that make Steam OS an essential step to this Anyway, then hardware isn't made in a minute but go you, neg on, I'm out.
I don't even think the price is That mental thinking about This market.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
I don't think you understand how good the UI and gamepad integration currently is. These are not things we need to wait to test. It is fully functional and testable now.
People weren't really into how Steam OS handled gamepads. As for me, does whole OS work with just gamepad, can you access linux and control it with just gamepad? Are linux UI elements properly scaled?

Valve doesn't want to be in the hardware business. They are trying to slowly build gaming on Linux because they are worried about Microsoft forcing Valve out of the market via the windows store. They have been developing the software necessary to make this happen. This device is meant to demonstrate how far gaming on Linux has come.
I think that they certainly want to be in hardware business. Otherwise that wouldn't explain their involvement in VR, Steamboxes, Steam Link and basically everything else that they have made. They want to be in hardware, but competition is fierce and thus is why they end up with small marketshare. I don't think that they are worried about Microsoft. At least about just them specifically. I think that they want monopoly, because right now people often use Origin, Epic store, GOG and MS Store for certain games and Valve probably wants to reduce fragmentation and become a monopoly and they are doing it on linux, because there's no need to partnership with their software competitors and pay licensing fees. Linux is just the cheapest and easiest way to do that. But at the same time it's a major problem for them, because linux doesn't natively run many games and they still have to create "compatibility layers" and emulators to make games run and it will always come at performance hit. That hurts them, because when people hear linux, they expect higher performance and that's due to many videos of linux reviving some otherwise old shit. And another big problem, is beyond breaking away from competitors, they are stuck to objectively worse platform. And it is worse, because all Steam games work on Windows PC, meanwhile on linux only what runs natively there and what works with proton and other compatibility tools. And most people, aside from hardcore nerds don't give a shit about linux being cool and all that, it's not a selling point for them to have their game libraries cut to just 20-30% (or even less).

This is Valves stated goal from the various interviews. They want others to copy and improve upon the steam deck. They would be very happy if Epic forked SteamOS and made a similar or better device that had the epic game store by default. Valve isn't trying to become a hardware manufacturer. They are trying to build infrastructure for a market where their game store would thrive.
If they seriously think that way, then they will go bankrupt. The less competition they have, the better is for them and if others like Epic make Epic portable and outcompete Valve, well then Valve doesn't get money from that. And if they keep saying bullshit like that and being lunatics in service market, then they will surely go bankrupt.

That is what is so special here. Valve is almost single handedly making gaming on Linux viable. They have made serious strides and the Steam Deck is going to show how far it has come.
I don't think so, too many games are still incompatible and there's no benefit to run them on linux, instead of Windows. It's still very early days for making something that is actually cool and not just cool in small niche community, but to any PC gamer. All they are trying to do now is to just be as good as Windows and there's shit ton of work left to do.

But I still disagree and obviously you can't make a console /pc without an OS so wouldn't that make Steam OS an essential step to this Anyway, then hardware isn't made in a minute but go you, neg on, I'm out.
I don't even think the price is That mental thinking about This market.
My problem with portable is simply the sheer amount of failures. So many Chinese OEM's make some one-off portable and then do next to nothing for it to work properly with gamepad and it end up being very expensive disappointment. And unsurprisingly many go under. And this stuff has been happening for like 2 decades. UMPCs died, PDAs died, many gamepaded tablets died. And the biggest reason for that is just shoddy software integration of hardware or cost being so high that getting the damn thing isn't worth it. Does anyone remember Razer Edge Pro? Or specific models of other Windows, Android handhelds? No and that's the problem. They were either too expensive or didn't have any proper hardware-software integration. And sometimes even when you have all these work out, it still fails to sell well. That was the fate of Sony Vita. It still somehow failed to sell and it even had a proper ecosystem and many good exclusives. I just don't see any interesting feature of such handheld that could warrant it not ending up like another Vita. And now with everyone with phone in their pocket, it's harder than ever to make handheld gaming system that sells well.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
People weren't really into how Steam OS handled gamepads. As for me, does whole OS work with just gamepad, can you access linux and control it with just gamepad? Are linux UI elements properly scaled?

I think that they certainly want to be in hardware business. Otherwise that wouldn't explain their involvement in VR, Steamboxes, Steam Link and basically everything else that they have made. They want to be in hardware, but competition is fierce and thus is why they end up with small marketshare. I don't think that they are worried about Microsoft. At least about just them specifically. I think that they want monopoly, because right now people often use Origin, Epic store, GOG and MS Store for certain games and Valve probably wants to reduce fragmentation and become a monopoly and they are doing it on linux, because there's no need to partnership with their software competitors and pay licensing fees. Linux is just the cheapest and easiest way to do that. But at the same time it's a major problem for them, because linux doesn't natively run many games and they still have to create "compatibility layers" and emulators to make games run and it will always come at performance hit. That hurts them, because when people hear linux, they expect higher performance and that's due to many videos of linux reviving some otherwise old shit. And another big problem, is beyond breaking away from competitors, they are stuck to objectively worse platform. And it is worse, because all Steam games work on Windows PC, meanwhile on linux only what runs natively there and what works with proton and other compatibility tools. And most people, aside from hardcore nerds don't give a shit about linux being cool and all that, it's not a selling point for them to have their game libraries cut to just 20-30% (or even less).

If they seriously think that way, then they will go bankrupt. The less competition they have, the better is for them and if others like Epic make Epic portable and outcompete Valve, well then Valve doesn't get money from that. And if they keep saying bullshit like that and being lunatics in service market, then they will surely go bankrupt.

I don't think so, too many games are still incompatible and there's no benefit to run them on linux, instead of Windows. It's still very early days for making something that is actually cool and not just cool in small niche community, but to any PC gamer. All they are trying to do now is to just be as good as Windows and there's shit ton of work left to do.

My problem with portable is simply the sheer amount of failures. So many Chinese OEM's make some one-off portable and then do next to nothing for it to work properly with gamepad and it end up being very expensive disappointment. And unsurprisingly many go under. And this stuff has been happening for like 2 decades. UMPCs died, PDAs died, many gamepaded tablets died. And the biggest reason for that is just shoddy software integration of hardware or cost being so high that getting the damn thing isn't worth it. Does anyone remember Razer Edge Pro? Or specific models of other Windows, Android handhelds? No and that's the problem. They were either too expensive or didn't have any proper hardware-software integration. And sometimes even when you have all these work out, it still fails to sell well. That was the fate of Sony Vita. It still somehow failed to sell and it even had a proper ecosystem and many good exclusives. I just don't see any interesting feature of such handheld that could warrant it not ending up like another Vita. And now with everyone with phone in their pocket, it's harder than ever to make handheld gaming system that sells well.
I've owned most of those, Gameboy, gamegear PDA , never a handheld quality built pc, and valve does make good hardware.
And they all served they're purpose fine, some better than others like the Switch ffs , valve sold out yet it's pointless , okay.:D;):)

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
GPD Win 3
Yeah fine example two thirds less performant in games I would imagine, but we will let reviews decide.

11th gen Igpu?! Right.I wouldn't buy that and it's going for 8-900ÂŁ.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Yeah fine example two thirds less performant in games I would imagine, but we will let reviews decide.

11th gen Igpu?! Right.I wouldn't buy that and it's going for 8-900ÂŁ.
You only asked for example of small handheld computer. You can probably find something cheaper, I'm just saying that these things do exist and with minimal success have existed for a long time.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
PC handhelds are usually kickstarters and pretty expensive, well at least from what I've seen in Youtube reviews over the years.

Personally I think Valve should have done 128/256/512GB m.2 NVMe.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
You only asked for example of small handheld computer. You can probably find something cheaper, I'm just saying that these things do exist and with minimal success have existed for a long time.
You just demonstrated how wrong you are, let's see any logical analysis of its performance verses that then or something powered by a similar setup, fine example of why what came before made this look good, did you believe I hadn't checked out many of these devices for the right type of thing , it's not running all triple AAA with ultra but it's going to run pretty much anything IMHO, most using a PC to game on are running mid to low tier GPu so would they be That disappointed, you would, not others.

I just put down on the big one Q3 22 wow can't wait though.

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
You just demonstrated how wrong you are, let's see any logical analysis of its performance verses that then or something powered by a similar setup, fine example of why what came before made this look good, did you believe I hadn't checked out many of these devices for the right type of thing , it's not running all triple AAA with ultra but it's going to run pretty much anything IMHO, most using a PC to game on are running mid to low tier GPu so would they be That disappointed, you would, not others.

I just put down on the big one Q3 22 wow can't wait though.

That doesn't change anything. If 720p lowest settings at sub 30 fps is what you think is a decent experience, more power to you. While it's cheaper than other handhelds, it doesn't mean much. It's still expensive in terms of TCO. The total cost of ownership of this thing is quite as it will be quite obsolete after 3 years and won't run many latest games on really low settings. If Valve releases the second and third Deck, then TCO of this platform would be more or less equivalent of 1200-1400 Euro PC, which today would run anything at 1080p Ultra, if you buy everything at MSRP. And PC like that will pretty much last you more than 9 years and would be usable as PC. Meanwhile with Deck, today you are getting quite low end experience today, piss poor experience next year, barely scrap by on 3rd year, until you hopefully replace it with Deck 2. And then keep replacing Decks every 3 years. Sure it is portable, but if you want a proper gaming experience, desktop is better and if you are into portable computing, then you probably already have a laptop, which likely has more powerful APU and still could be realistically used as computer, not just a gadget for gaming. BTW have you thought about storage size? 64GB model is already almost obsolete. After OS, it can't store a single AAA game. What will happen after a year or two? Then probably even indie titles won't fit on Deck. And if you buy a higher end model than base, it suddenly starts to cost a lot more and suddenly it just becomes a very expensive handheld, just like many others. Before 'rona 600 Euros could buy you a Ryzen 3100, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1660 Super, 512GB SSD desktop. And now, after price inflation, our heads have surely turned into mush, thinking that overpriced portable thin client is worth the same cash as a proper desktop computer.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
PC handhelds are usually kickstarters and pretty expensive, well at least from what I've seen in Youtube reviews over the years.

Personally I think Valve should have done 128/256/512GB m.2 NVMe.
isnt it 256 and 512 models are nvme?

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
When most of my game collection on steam are 10 year old games, I think the performance will match my needs just fine.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
isnt it 256 and 512 models are nvme?
Yeah, but the 64GB eMMC model should also have been NVMe and 128GB is what they're saying. Frankly, I agree. eMMC is worthless.