• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The EU Commission Proposes Chips Act to Confront Semiconductor Shortages and Strengthen Europe's Technological Leadership

Burocrats shouldn't have to do anything if the European companies did their job. It's their fault it's all made somewhere else, there is know how and technology to do it here.
Say what?

The only problem is that as with every company, the main goal is profit. Apart from earning more, the only other way to profit is to spend less, i.e. pay lower salaries which no self-respecting coder in EU won't go for. So, they need to source from India and such.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Burocrats shouldn't have to do anything if the European companies did their job. It's their fault it's all made somewhere else, there is know how and technology to do it here.
Sure thing. Bureaucrats ban basically all mining in the EU, because it's bad for the environment, impose high taxes, because, hey, EU has "free" everything, don't offer a unified market, because we all love our traditions and then it's the companies' fault for taking their toys elsewhere.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Sure thing. Bureaucrats ban basically all mining in the EU, because it's bad for the environment, impose high taxes, because, hey, EU has "free" everything, don't offer a unified market, because we all love our traditions and then it's the companies' fault for taking their toys elsewhere.

what the hell are you talking about? there is mining in the EU and besides we are poor in most resources anyway, and you know we can import them right like others do. Do you think they have all the resources they need in Taiwan? companies don't have that high tax rates, in some places they are even amonst the lowest in the world. And no unified market? what have you been smoking?

Say what?

The only problem is that as with every company, the main goal is profit. Apart from earning more, the only other way to profit is to spend less, i.e. pay lower salaries which no self-respecting coder in EU won't go for. So, they need to source from India and such.

how poor are they in Taiwan? how are those salaries there? for working on this field? or south korea? ah those poor salary countries.

what's wrong with you people today?

System Name Steam Deck LCD
Processor AMD Van Gogh 4-Core 8-Threads
Motherboard Stock
Cooling Stock + MX4 Thermal Paste
Memory 16GB DDR5 5500
Video Card(s) AMD Van Gogh 8 CUs
Storage 512GB NVMe + 512GB MicroSD
Display(s) 7" 800p | LG 34" Ultrawide + 27" both 75Hz | 58" UHD TV
Case Stock + Airflow Backplate (5C less and a lot less noise)
Audio Device(s) Jabra Elite 65T Bluetooth Headphones | 50W Sound Bar
Power Supply Stock
Mouse Logitech MX-Master 3 Bluetooth | PS4 controller (because gyro)
Keyboard Logitech MX-Keys Bluetooth
Software SteamOS
Yes, let's forcibly kneecap technological innovation via beuracracy. Because everyone knows the rest of the world will listen to whatever insane BS the government comes up with and places like china would NEVER take advantage of this to steamroll western tech. No siree.
I beg to differ. Sure, right now you are seeing tons of innovation be it from Intel or AMD, but remember before 2017, Intel was just using the same old architecture, doing minimal refinements, and selling it to customers for a horrendous price. On top of that, every other "tick" cost you a new mainboard.
They also did this before the above example, but now this crap is a big concern.

Also one thing to note, more time on one socket will not mean kneecapping anything. Remember the jump from Intel 7th gen to 8th gen. They wanted you to have a new mainboard and everything, because of some so called limitations (AMD did this with B350 and 5000 Ryzen, so I'm not saying they're better). Remember modders coming up with BIOS updates to make this CPUs work on 100-chipset gen mainboards? I do, because I had a Clevo Laptop with a dektop socket CPU. I had no other choice but to hold on to my laptop, install the modded BIOS and voila. Laptop worked even better and ran cooler with the i5 8400 compared to 7400 because the CPU did not use more power for basic tasks.