• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo of America CEO Defends Breath of The Wild Sequel Price Hike

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Nintendo of America CEO Doug Bowser granted a rare interview to Associated Press, presumably as part of promotional duties prior to the February 17 opening of its Super Nintendo World theme park at Universal Studios Hollywood. In an article published on March 13, AP News journalist Greg Keller threw in a surprise query about the $70 asking price for Nintendo's upcoming sequel to 2017's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Fan backlash to Nintendo of America's price hiking reached fever pitch earlier in 2023, and the company has not been very communicative with reasons for increasing the pricing of certain flagship Switch titles, until now.

Bowser's response was suitably neutral, but plenty can be read into it: "We look at what the game has to offer. I think fans will find this is an incredibly full, deeply immersive experience. The price point reflects the type of experience that fans can expect when it comes to playing this particular game. This isn't a price point that we'll necessarily have on all our titles. It's actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself." It is clear that he thinks that Tears of the Kingdom presents good value for money, given the standard of content being offered to the prospective player. It is possible that he is hinting that upcoming remakes of legacy Legend of Zelda games will be offered at sub-$70 prices. The recently released Metroid Prime Remastered debuted digitally at $39.99 on the Nintendo eShop, and physical copies have been sold for less at retailers.

Bowser was also asked about Nintendo's expectations regarding sales figures for the upcoming Zelda title, and it was clearly a topic he did not want to discuss in any great detail: "There are, but they're not publicly disclosed yet." He was happier to acknowledge that supply chain issues are no longer a big concern for the company: "Really coming out of the summer and into the final quarter of last year, the holiday period, we saw that that constriction, if you will, in chip supply reduce. So right now, from a supply chain perspective, we're able to supply the demand that's out there."

Nintendo has kept production values for their games relatively low this generation - its Switch hybrid console is famously not capable of outputting 4K in-game resolutions, and therefore developers are not required to produce ultra detailed assets and content. In contrast, budgets for AAA titles on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles have ballooned, in order to accommodate the manpower required to make sprawling and graphically ambitious games. Current generation console owners have become familiar with the resulting price hikes, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out for Nintendo, as their rumored Switch 2 model comes into focus. Is a regular MSRP of $70 a preview of the future, or should we expect a couple of sawbucks to be attached to that in 2024 and beyond?

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is available to pre-order for $69.99. Pricing for the deluxe box set Collector's Edition is not yet confirmed for North America. UK retailers listed the Collector's Edition at £109.99 before all available pre-order allocations were sold out.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Unpopular opinion maybe, but games like BOTW, Skyrim, TW3 all may deserve a higher initial price for the masterpieces they were. The tough part is knowing if its going to be as good without reviews. Maybe before they ask for $70 and say they know what it has to offer they bring in some reviewers and let them offer up their thoughts, ya know, kinda like they used to do...... Then again I suppose thats what we get when worlds collide with gamergate-esque BS.

GREED.... IS.... GOOD....

It's really a simple thing... If you are weak of will, you will buy it just like the rest of the rabid gerbils that have no control of buying things. And you are most likely living the wage slave of life.

If you are strong of will you know that unless you have REAL disposable money on hand, you do not need it. You are most likely way ahead of the game and taking charge of your life.
You do not want to be a wage slave for "The Man".

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
High initial prices would be fine, if Nintendo understood the concept of reductions once it's several years old...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-36
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
the game trailers look boring to me, such bland environments.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
The flash chips are probably multiple of gb for this tittle, so I think thats why price hike.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Unpopular opinion maybe, but games like BOTW, Skyrim, TW3 all may deserve a higher initial price for the masterpieces they were. The tough part is knowing if its going to be as good without reviews. Maybe before they ask for $70 and say they know what it has to offer they bring in some reviewers and let them offer up their thoughts, ya know, kinda like they used to do...... Then again I suppose thats what we get when worlds collide with gamergate-esque BS.

No Bethesda game is worth full price at launch, they are all buggy messes only justified by the amazing modding community. The Witcher 3 is the only game out of your list where you could justify a $70 asking price. While it had bugs at launch, the amount of high quality content it launched with was crazy. It took me 110 hours to finish all the side content in the witcher 3 base game and I wouldn't have bothered if the side-quests are anything like those in Skyrim of CP2077. BOTW is a watered down open world Zelda. The puzzles are extremely easy and the mythical beast dungeons are frankly a cake-walk. It's still a good game because the core of what make the franchise is still mostly intact but it's not worth more than $60 at launch. BOTW is not one the Zelda's I'd recommend to people who want to get into the franchise.

the game trailers look boring to me, such bland environments.

Unfortunately BOTW took the game in more generic open world direction, this new Zelda is just a continuation of that. Same thing is probably going to happen to animal crossing as well. Nintendo assumes everyone likes the direction they are taking with their games when in reality a big contributing factor was the pandemic.

High initial prices would be fine, if Nintendo understood the concept of reductions once it's several years old...

Yeah lol

Even as the 3DS shop is in its final days, I don't think I've ever seen a price reduction on a Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Zelda game.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I'm perfectly fine paying 70 bucks for a game like Breath of the Wild.

What I'm not fine with is paying that same amount for whatever garbage Gamefreaks considers a game now.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Your logic is flawed because Nintendo is notorious for not discounting Switch games after launch.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Your logic is flawed because Nintendo is notorious for not discounting Switch games after launch.

No one forces anyone to buy it, my daughter still uses the WiiU for Zelda games.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RX 7800 XT 16GB OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + WD 2TB 2.5in HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
"I like money, pay the Zelda TAX" ;)

I agree with the people saying some games truly deserve a higher price tag. I’m hyped for this game. That said, DON’T PREORDER. We have no idea how good it’ll actually be and AAA releases are only getting worse. Wait for reviews!

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
easy to defend, they want more of your money and you are ok with that because you are going to buy it.
honestly looking forward to games costing over 100 dollars, Im way past caring about games because there is pretty much zero innovation, Ive played games and everything new is just more of the same or just actively inferior (yet still bewilderingly praised....Cyberpunk anyone) so yeah, I dont care about games but if consumers are so willing to spend all their money on videogames....go right ahead, the market decides and the market gives it a thumbs up.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RX 7800 XT 16GB OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + WD 2TB 2.5in HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
No one forces anyone to buy it, my daughter still uses the WiiU for Zelda games.
Congrats to your daughter, but this "No one forces you to buy it" is such a weak argument.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I remember paying $60 for NES The Legend of Zelda and $70 for The Adventure of Link back in the 80s at Toys 'R Us. I mowed a lot of neighbor's yards to afford those.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
Though I certainly do not want to pay more for games, people need to think for a moment and understand how much goes into these creations. This is def a personal pet peeve. Seeing snowflakes bitch about $20-25 for a new release arcade type game like Streets of Rage 4....blows my mind. Seeing someone bitch about a AAA game in the Zelda series going for $70...equally blows my mind. Inflation has impacted practically everything in life, but not so much video games over my entire lifetime.

I was a child scribbling out "christmas lists" asking for Sega Genesis video games. Christmas was the only time I got a new one. With the one exception being I somehow convinced my parents to get me Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when it came out. We went to Toys R Us, and I'll never forget that it was $70 because it was a special treat for me.

Lets adjust for inflation, $70 dollars in 1992 money is $140 is today's money

How many games are being released for $140? None. How many people bitch about game prices? Too many. Is $70 reasonable for a AAA game from arguably one of the most popular and important franchises in video game history? Yes.

Gamers need to look at this stuff in a more global/high level picture. Video games have been an entertainment industry since the 70's and you cannot look at this like it's just a 2023 thing.

Again, I'd love to keep prices stagnant like they have been for practically THREE DECADES but for all the virtue signalers that pretend like they care about "crunch" in the game development world and they aren't paid a fair wage etc sorta stuff.....denying that they deserve to bump up the price just a hair (~16%) seems totally ridiculous. (but skizzo.....how do we know the money doesn't just end up in the CEO's pocket?....we don't know and that could happen) This price increase is totally reasonable from my logical thought process

I haven't bought a Nintendo console or game since the N64. I ain't no Nintendo fan.....in fact....I kinda hate the majority of their practices. But this isn't one of them.

I'm not implying any particular user on here has said anything negative either. But am generalizing the gaming public who apparently have tried to make their voice heard about such a price increase being something they would not tolerate. Games have become so large they rival or exceed budgets of Hollywood blockbuster films. There are X1000 more employees across multiple industries or companies. It takes a lot of work, lets be thankful we have reaped the benefits of reasonable game prices for so long, rather than throw a tantrum about a reasonable increase that is literally much, much, lower than inflation.

GREED.... IS.... GOOD....
Oh please. Games back in the 8bit/16bit would regularly top $80 at retail. I paid $75 for Final Fantasy 3(SNES), $80 for Chrono Trigger and so on. And that was in Early 1990's money. Let that sink in. It's not greed, it called development costs.

But hey, if an extra $20 is too much for a game that is likely going to exceptional, that's ok, don't buy it and go cry in your milk...

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
You can forget about 59.99 games soonish, the new norm will be 69.99, and it is already spreading around.
Honestly, at least 15 years of 59.99 was surprising by itself.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Oh please. Games back in the 8bit/16bit would regularly top $80 at retail. I paid $75 for Final Fantasy 3(SNES), $80 for Chrono Trigger and so on. And that was in Early 1990's money. Let that sink in. It's not greed, it called development costs.

But hey, if an extra $20 is too much for a game that is likely going to exceptional, that's ok, don't buy it and go cry in your milk...

The size of the market has massively increased since then, devs are making way more now at $60 then they ever did charging $80.

This is akin to the price of Anime DVDs. Often an entire series can cost $300+ and the price is high because so few people buy them. That's actually cheaper than the used to be given the market has increased a bit.

The price of a product is a calculation by companies, they have to determine the ideal intersection between price and how many units they will sell. There is a lot of competition in the gaming market nowdays too. It's hard to justify the price of a AAA game unless it's good. There are plenty of indie games coming out at $25 or less and there are more older games you can go back and play than ever. Plus you have past AAA titles that come at steep discounts.

I'm personally not a fan of the fixed price nature of AAA games, some don't deserve $60 and other's might justify $100.

The size of the market has massively increased since then
So has the cost of development.

I'm personally not a fan of the fixed price nature of AAA games, some don't deserve $60 and other's might justify $100.
With you on that one. But then, the power of the vote is still with us. If a game is crap, we don't buy it. If it's good or excellent, then we vote with our wallet.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
meh

I remember paying $70 for cartridge games 30 years ago.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Indefensible, let them burn.

Unninvest your money then re invest in your new sega overlords.

I'll stop.