• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Debian Universal OS 12.0 "Bookworm" Set For June Launch

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
A press release (dated April 27) states: "We plan to release Debian 12.0 "Bookworm" on June 10. If you want to celebrate it, please consider attending a Debian release party, or hosting your own! See https://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyBookworm for more information. The release process typically takes the whole day and the release isn't done until the early hours of Sunday UTC."

Full Freeze Date
With the release date set, it's time to announce the Full Freeze date: Wednesday May 24. This means that from that moment on, every package requires a manual unblock by the release team if it needs to migrate to bookworm. Please note that, as with all freezes, the newrules apply for all packages that haven't migrated to testing yet (not only for uploads after the freeze). For all uploads, please review the Freeze Policy once again to make sure you know what is appropriate at this phase of the release.

The final weeks up to the release
In the last week prior to the freeze, testing will be completely frozen and only emergency bug fixes will be considered in this period. Please consider Sunday May 28 at 12:00 UTC the absolute last moment for submitting unblock requests for bookworm. Changes that are not ready to migrate to testing at that time will not be included in bookworm for the initial release. However, you can still fix bugs in bookworm via point releases if the changeset follows the rules for updates in stable.

Upgrade testing
If you are in a position to carry out upgrade testing from "bullseye" to "bookworm" in the field, now is the time to do so and send your feedback as a bug report against the "upgrade-reports" pseudo-package.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Space Lynx

Astronaut
debian is more for businesses? you want ubuntu based linux for gaming right?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Tell that to all the SteamOS and Steam Deck users getting better-than-Windows gaming performance out of the Debian-based SteamOS.

I use the desktop occasionally but honestly if it can run games and a browser of your choice I feel like that covers 99% of use cases.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Tell that to all the SteamOS and Steam Deck users getting better-than-Windows gaming performance out of the Debian-based SteamOS.

I use the desktop occasionally but honestly if it can run games and a browser of your choice I feel like that covers 99% of use cases.
SteamOS is Arch based.

When it comes to gaming, you want the latest kernel. You will always do best with some Arch based distro. I would recommend Endeavor because it has more user friendly set up. Nobara is also built for gaming out of the box and is based on Fedora. Which specific linux isn't as relevent as the kernel.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
SteamOS is Arch based.

When it comes to gaming, you want the latest kernel. You will always do best with some Arch based distro. I would recommend Endeavor because it has more user friendly set up. Nobara is also built for gaming out of the box and is based on Fedora. Which specific linux isn't as relevent as the kernel.

Steam OS deck version is Arch based. Steam OS is Debian based. Either way his comment is incorrect.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Yes, Ubuntu is based on Debian. Ubuntu is just easier to set up is all. And if you install mainline under ubuntu, you can have the newest kernel like arch.
You also will want to install wine, and then dxvk and vkd3d3-proton. Then you can run pretty much any dx11 or 12 game.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I thought I had answers... then I kept scrolling, now I don't know reality from fiction anymore.

It's like that day last week when I learned the Supreme Court 3+ members have been corrupt and non-objective my entire life when I thought they brought balance to the other two branches... my entire life has been a lie...

Oh Descarte... you were right... what is real?

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Yes, Ubuntu is based on Debian. Ubuntu is just easier to set up is all. And if you install mainline under ubuntu, you can have the newest kernel like arch.
You also will want to install wine, and then dxvk and vkd3d3-proton. Then you can run pretty much any dx11 or 12 game.

With the exeption of games that use kernel level anti cheat, like EAC or BattleEye. ;) Other than that most games without anti cheat should run fine.
Steam is really moving things forward, and I bet it's just a matter of time that the rest with anti cheat will work on Linux, too.

Meanwhile Ubisoft and EA (and their double DRM):

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
I thought it had been arch-based for a while now.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
I thought it had been arch-based for a while now.

SteamOS is Debian based. SteamOS for deck is arch based.

SteamOS debian hasn't been updated for years, and his comment is completely incorrect as no modern hardware will run on it.

Valve has stated they will release a SteamOS arch based desktop OS in the future, closest thing to it would be Manjaro.

This is SteamOS based on debian 8: SteamOS (steampowered.com)

This is SteamOS deck image: SteamOS (steampowered.com)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
SteamOS is Debian based. SteamOS for deck is arch based.

SteamOS debian hasn't been updated for years, and his comment is completely incorrect as no modern hardware will run on it.

Valve has stated they will release a SteamOS arch based desktop OS in the future, closest thing to it would be Manjaro.

This is SteamOS based on debian 8: SteamOS (steampowered.com)

This is SteamOS deck image: SteamOS (steampowered.com)

clarity. ty.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
LOL, I had no idea I was running Arch. That's the mad disconnect between kernel and desktop in Linux.

Without actually checking, I'd just assumed it was Debian as several guides/reviews incorrectly labelled it as such - likely due to the only real information about SteamOS on valve's site referring to the deprecated pre-Holo versions of SteamOS

I understood nothing about what you guys are talking about. Debian? Kernel? Arch? Linux?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
LOL, I had no idea I was running Arch. That's the mad disconnect between kernel and desktop in Linux.

Without actually checking, I'd just assumed it was Debian as several guides/reviews incorrectly labelled it as such - likely due to the only real information about SteamOS on valve's site referring to the deprecated pre-Holo versions of SteamOS

I have no idea what you are talking about, a disconnect between the kernel and the desktop?

Valve's websites give you all the information you could want beyond specific information about the kernel version which you can easily obtain after installation. The problem with SteamOS for desktop is you won't make it that far without some older hardware. Their activity on maintaining that desktop died ~ July 2021. SteamOS update 2.195 released :: Steam Universe (steamcommunity.com)

SteamOS wasn't really a true desktop OS because it was primarily made for Steam Machines, and so the load out would be big picture mode, although it was nice because you could force desktop mode. The default desktop was gnome, which I don't particularly care for. At the end of the day, trying to use Steam OS for desktop as a proper desktop OS was a little janky and you were better off using Pop! or Manjaro for gaming. The only real reason for using it as a desktop OS is just if you were a fan of Valve and their work. The installation of the ISO and desktop could be somewhat challenging so it was little bit fun if you are into Linux distro hopping.

SteamOS (steampowered.com)

So, what is SteamOS?​

SteamOS is a public release of our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8, code named Debian Jessie. Our work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or content as you want.

Steam Deck :: Tech Specs

Software​

Operating System
SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
Desktop
KDE Plasma

They provide plenty of information about their respective distros. Valve chose Arch for Steam deck because it gives them more flexibility outside of the rolling Debian updates that tend to lag modern hardware. Also technically speaking, Steam OS for desktop is version 2.0 (brewmaster) and Steam OS for deck is version 3.0 (clockwerk).

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
If you're waiting around on SteamOS 3 I'd recommend Nobara Linux for the time being if you're looking for a solid gaming-oriented Linux distribution,

GloriousEggroll (ProtonGE developer) is behind Nobara so it comes with the latest Steam Proton GE build and his kernel/userland come with some gaming and Nvidia-specific patches pre-applied.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I understood nothing about what you guys are talking about. Debian? Kernel? Arch? Linux?

A kernel is the core of an operating system that allows all the software to talk to each other.

Linux is a particular kernel design that draws its inspiration from UNIX-like systems, specifically MINIX.

Debian and Arch are two of a large, loose family of operating systems (commonly known as distributions) that rely on the Linux kernel plus a host of other software packages.