• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Layers of Fear Gets Another Unreal Engine 5 Showcase

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Experience the visually stunning world of Layers of Fear, one of the first games to utilize the power of Unreal Engine 5 and advanced technological tools. Come with us on an immersive journey as we explore how we incorporated these cutting-edge features to bring you one of the most visually striking horror games out there. With the latest engine, we expedited the development process and introduced a host of technical novelties that make this game a spectacular visual treat. The Lumen, Ray Tracing, and Niagara effects helped us create visuals and effects that are beyond words and feel lifelike.

The canvas awaits its final brushstrokes. The stage calls for its lead actor. The novel needs its final chapter. It's time to face your fears. One. Last. Time. The series, which has left a mark on narrative-driven first-person psychological horror games, returns to tell its final spine-chilling story in Layers of Fear.. The series' crowning work is the definitive way to experience the critically acclaimed franchise as it features Layers of Fear and Layers of Fear 2, as well as all DLCs (including the new 'The Final Note' DLC that will give you a new perspective on the Layers of Fear storyline) and the never-before-told story of The Writer, which will tie everything together. Built on Unreal Engine 5, Layers of Fear supports Ray Tracing, HDR and 4K resolution to make the stunning visuals, and your nightmarish experience, as immersive and realistic as possible.

See it for yourself in our technical showcase of the newest Layers of Fear:

Steam wishlist here: https://bit.ly/LoF_on_Steam

Layers of Fear coming out June 2023 on PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
What a ridiculous voice/narration...
"we invite you to world of Layers of Fear" yeah ill pass, I enjoy shitty games but there are limits.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
lol its that voice.... from the movie trailers...
"this summer get ready for the biggest blockbuster"

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-36
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
i love how ray tracing is depicted as real world...

1682877791564.png

real world floors don't look like this even when wet. lol

garbage. yawn.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120 MkIII + H/K AVR 265 -> Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7 + AKG K712 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Software Win10 Pro
What a ridiculous voice/narration...
"we invite you to world of Layers of Fear" yeah ill pass, I enjoy shitty games but there are limits.

Haven't played the sequel, but the first LoF was a really good game.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Haven't played the sequel, but the first LoF was a really good game.

Same, I'm not that big on horror games but the fist LoF was pretty good.
Yet to play the second even tho I should have it on EPIC I think.

View attachment 293894

garbage. yawn.
Its not bad, even for an indoor environment. The thing is they have to "cheat" and cut a lot of corners in order to get it to BOTH look acceptable and render fast enough to avoid low frame rates/system lag. They will never be able to make an engine(or a graphics card) capable of simulating the proper number of rays to achieve a true physics & real-world appearance for games with a 3D environment. I know in iray rendering, a scene like that could take hours to render a single frame, but they usually have to render multiple frames and combine them into one image and/or edit the rendered image in photoshop.
It looks fine to me, but yeah, not my definition of "real world". When they make a claim like that, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
"Welcome to the Home Depot project builder"

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

View attachment 293894

garbage. yawn.
I'm playing around with RT now and honestly even in much heralded Control it is complete and utter garbage - as in, you can just as well turn it off, because the reality is that the majority of what you see is actually a rasterized effect. RT on adds an ungodly amount of additional reflectiveness, it makes no sense at all, and halves the FPS for doing something so minute and subtle, I honestly don't get it. Every time I come to an impressive scene, I switch things on and off and compare, and every time I wonder if I need new glasses to spot the differences.

I liked the GI in Metro Exodus and guess what, nothing wants to be shiny in that game. I guess as long as nothing wants to be reflective, it can work? :D

But omg what an awful trailer. Horror show indeed, the narrator, wow.

Its not bad, even for an indoor environment. The thing is they have to "cheat" and cut a lot of corners in order to get it to BOTH look acceptable and render fast enough to avoid low frame rates/system lag. They will never be able to make an engine(or a graphics card) capable of simulating the proper number of rays to achieve a true physics & real-world appearance for games with a 3D environment. I know in iray rendering, a scene like that could take hours to render a single frame, but they usually have to render multiple frames and combine them into one image and/or edit the rendered image in photoshop.
It looks fine to me, but yeah, not my definition of "real world". When they make a claim like that, you have to take it with a grain of salt.
In other words, we got lied to, but then we kinda knew that all along. And still buy into it? :p Peculiar indeed

Last edited:
I'm playing around with RT now and honestly even in much heralded Control it is complete and utter garbage - as in, you can just as well turn it off, because the reality is that the majority of what you see is actually a rasterized effect. RT on adds an ungodly amount of additional reflectiveness, it makes no sense at all, and halves the FPS for doing something so minute and subtle, I honestly don't get it. Every time I come to an impressive scene, I switch things on and off and compare, and every time I wonder if I need new glasses to spot the differences.

I liked the GI in Metro Exodus and guess what, nothing wants to be shiny in that game. I guess as long as nothing wants to be reflective, it can work? :D

But omg what an awful trailer. Horror show indeed, the narrator, wow.

In other words, we got lied to, but then we kinda knew that all along. And still buy into it? :p Peculiar indeed
I would say more along the lines of "mislead". The fact of the matter is that life-like ray-tracing is not something mathematically achievable in real-time. I don't think even a futuristic quantum computer would be able to do it since the numbers/calculations would be astronomical(think much bigger than Avogadro's number) raised to an astronomical exponent. If anything, it pretty much reaches the point of infinite mathematics.
I think real life "gaming arenas" like The Running Man or Hunger Games would happen before that, lol. :laugh: