• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Godfather of AI" Geoffrey Hinton Departs Google, Voices Concern Over Dangers of AI

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
My point was, that guns were not created to hunt - they were created to kill.
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you think hunting is?

Edit: if the item quoted had been a bow and arrrow - yes, it'd been fine. Bows were created to hunt. Guns weren't.
Bows and arrows were designed to kill. Both animals and humans. So, I'm not sure where you're going with this. I'm seeing conflicting points in your argument. Again, it's a potentially lethal tool, both of them, with the same intent. A firearm is merely an evolution of more archaic tools. What you're describing is rhetorical nonsense.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
That's not sound reasoning. Guns were the portable evolution of cannons (an evolution of Chinese fire lances). They were never created for the purpose of hunting, rather, they were invented to win battles. AI is not such a thing; it is simply an entity in its own right, with an exceptionally diverse field of application. Most of which require to be heavily controlled to avoid the consequences.

IMO, AI created in our world will be no different than the people and nations that create it. Greedy, ideological, and/or altruistic. There will be bad AI and good AI. Problem is, a good AI probably wouldn't have the ethics to beat a bad AI. Story of life.
Not the greatest of analogies I admit, but you get the point. AI will be used for bad and that's a fact no matter how good or how bad the analogy will be.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I see the bigger picture. I was inferring the 'guns' metaphor wasn't appropriate given that they were created for a purpose intended to harm others. AI isn't the same. It's end result will be determined by those who guide it.
Even that is inaccurate. Can you definitely say guns were invented to harm others and to protect one's own?

But again "guns" was just a word in an analogy. Let it go, take a step back and think about the analogy instead.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think all the AI doomsayers are overreacting and exaggerating too much. AI is not dangerous, it just uses the free public available info online.
What is dangerous is the tools such as deepfake, voiceovers, etc, that can be used in malicious purposes, so that can be regulated.
For me, the tools such as BARD, ChatGPT and BingChat are tremendous helpful in my work, helping me complete tasks in 1H, that usually were taking 1 day or more to achieve.
It all depends how you use those tools.
And that's why it's dangerous. If something can be used for something bad, people will find a way. Besides, free public info is not necessarily (and a lot of times isn't) correct. Not long, and we'll live in a world where literally everything is fake, and it's impossible to tell what the truth about any subject is.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
And that's why it's dangerous. If something can be used for something bad, people will find a way. Besides, free public info is not necessarily (and a lot of times isn't) correct. Not long, and we'll live in a world where literally everything is fake, and it's impossible to tell what the truth about any subject is.
I hate how true this statement could possibly become because it's already getting pretty bad. With that said, it's a bunch of intellectual dishonesty and people not knowing how to critically think. I would like to think that given all available information on a subject and an as objective view as possible, an individual with some level of intellect should be able to make some determinations based on real world observations. Maybe that's asking a lot from the modern day individual though.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I hate how true this statement could possibly become because it's already getting pretty bad. With that said, it's a bunch of intellectual dishonesty and people not knowing how to critically think. I would like to think that given all available information on a subject and an as objective view as possible, an individual with some level of intellect should be able to make some determinations based on real world observations. Maybe that's asking a lot from the modern day individual though.
I think the modern day individual has proven that anything is believable if a guy wearing a suit says it on TV. One of my neighbours still wears a surgical mask to this day while sitting alone in his car. There's way too much fakery going on even these days. With AI, it'll spin completely out of control, I'm afraid.