• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ADATA's Comprehensive SSD Cooling Solutions Debut

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ADATA Technology Co., Ltd., the world's leading memory brand, is committed to exploring breakthroughs that lead to extreme performance. PCIe Gen 5 SSDs are extremely fast but this powerful performance generates a corresponding degree of heat. In order to enhance stability and prolong product lifespan as well as maintain optimal speeds, innovative cooling solutions are a must for these latest-generation SSDs. During Computex 2023, the company will announce the launch of a number of patented SSD cooling solutions, not only speeding past the competition but also taking the lead in heat dissipation. Project NeonStorm Gen 5 solid-state drive (SSD) is the first in the industry to introduce a liquid and fan-cooled heat dissipation design on an M.2 SSD.

It uses coolant to absorb and then dual fans to dissipate heat, creating a perfect convection ecosystem. The LEGEND 970 Gen 5 SSD adopts a dual-layer aluminium alloy heatsink and fan to create active air cooling and a surface crystallization coating to improve thermal conductivity. The SE920 USB4 external SSD has a built-in micro fan to quickly discharge heat which is activated by extending the retractable casing. The structural R&D and excellent heat-dissipating characteristics of these designs are expected to become the most influential benchmark for extreme storage in the consumer market.

Project NeonStorm SSD - Dual cooling for ultimate heat dissipation
Project NeonStorm delivers transfer speeds of up to 14,000/12,000 MB per second, necessitating a dual-system design featuring both liquid and air cooling. When the heat rises off the SSD, it first passes through a metal heat spreader to increase the contact area. After being conducted into the liquid reservoir, heat energy is absorbed by a high thermal capacity coolant and then moves into the aluminium alloy heatsink. The heatsink acts as a medium between the coolant and the fans. When the fans at either end of Project NeonStorm are activated, heat is removed through the convection of hot and cold air. Compared with fan-type heat dissipation fins without liquid cooling, ADATA's inventive "patented dual-cooling heat dissipation" system can lower SSD temperatures by an additional 20%

LEGEND 970 SSD - Surface crystallization cools fast
The LEGEND 970 delivers read/write performance of up to 10,000/10,000 MB per second. It is designed with dual-layer extruded aluminium fins to create a dense air duct to divert hot and cold air. A built-in micro fan pulls in cool airflow and expels warm air from the sides of the heatsink. At the same time, the LEGEND 970's aluminium alloy fins are coated with surface crystallization, increasing overall contact surface area and maximizing air cooling system heat dissipation efficiency. This unique "patented active heat dissipation" design significantly reduces controller temperatures by 10% compared with fanless heatsinks, ensuring SSD stability and long-term high-performance operation. The LEGEND 970 begins mass production at the end of June and will be unveiled at Computex ahead of schedule. Stay tuned!

SE920 External SSD - Award-winning extendable cooling
The SE920 utilizes the latest generation USB4 transmission interface with a read/write of 3,800/3,200 MB per second and its heat dissipation system is equipped with a built-in micro fan. Simply pushing on the casing extends the chassis to quickly discharge heat. When the extendable case is retracted volume is reduced, facilitating storage. When extended, convection is strengthened, effectively dissipating heat while remaining light and portable. This ingenious "patented active cooling" design significantly reduces temperatures by 10% compared with fanless products of the same specifications and has won the Red Dot Design Award, Japan GOOD Design Award, and Taiwan Excellence Award in the last 2 years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Just what we all want, 20mm fans spinning at 10000 RPM.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
System Name Shadow Warrior
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB White
Memory 64GB 6000Mhz cl30
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT
Storage 12TB NVME + 16TB SSD + 2x12TB 5400rpm
Display(s) HP X34 Ultrawide 165hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7 (modded)
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5+ / Topping DX5 Lite (Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 closed)
Power Supply Corsair hx1000i
Mouse Roccat Kain 120 aimo / Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Cherry Stream 3.0 SX-switches
VR HMD Quest 1, Pico 4 128GB
Software Win11 x64
Can't we get just get a big heatsink, I'll fix the airflow

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Shaving 0.1 seconds off of your game loading time compared to a gen 4 drive is totally worth it when its only cost is an ear-numbing small fan spinning like there's no future.

Am I the only one getting the feeling that modern PC technology is regressing?

I'm ok at the minute heat wise with gen 4 but down the line with gen 5 a water block might be needed but definitely wouldn't be interested in anything with small fan's.
Larger heatsinks may cause clearance issues with air cooled build's. I know my D15 was 1mm away from touching my GPU back plate completely blocking access to primary NVME.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Yep, unless there's been a miraculous tiny fan breakthrough in the last few months, I'm not diggin it. I'll stick with my sn850x and enjoy the silence.
Altho, I have an m.2 expansion card (looks like a 90s oem blower GPU)with an itty bitty fan built into it and I can't say that I ever heard it. Nor can I say that it actually helped keep the drive any cooler either. So I suppose if they don't crank the RPMs to completely insane levels they may not be earsplitters but will they help at all if they aren't? I'd rather not find out being that the neonstorm version will be stooopid expensive of course.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
And so it begins.....Since gen 5 m.2 prices are on a downward slide, I have a distinct feeling that these so-called "solutions" will only be used to increase their ASP's & therefore prop up the mfgr margins :(

IMHO, if an m.2 drive requires liquid AND air cooling just to operate at anything approaching normal speeds & temps, then somebody, somewhere, needs to seriously rethink this tech, like, yesterday :(

Having said that though, I might consider this useful on external drives, as any drive inside a small, mostly sealed enclosure, with limited airflow, will run hotter than when inside a pc case, where good airflow is moar readily available...

But like maxfly, I'll just stick with 850x's for now, at least until this nonsense gets fixed...

silence IS both golden, AND a virtue after all.. :D

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
And so it begins.....

IMHO, if an m.2 drive requires liquid AND air cooling just to operate at anything approaching normal speeds & temps, then somebody somewhere needs to seriously rethink this tech, like, yesterday :(

Having said that though, I might consider this useful on external drives, as any drive inside a somewhat sealed enclosure, with limited airflow, will run hotter than when inside a pc case, where good airflow is moar readily available...

But like maxfly, I'll just stick with 850x's for now, at least until this nonsense gets fixed...

silence IS both golden, AND a virtue :D

this is not a bug, it will never get fixed, just stay away from the high end, the rest will always do fine with a small passive heathsink

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
I’ve always wanted an F1 engine inside my pc case

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
this is not a bug, it will never get fixed, just stay away from the high end, the rest will always do fine with a small passive heathsink
I never said it was a "bug" but rather a design flaw that needs to be re-reviewed, reworked, and reengineered...

But you're right as far as passive heatsinks are concerned.... as all of my work towers (168.73) contain 4x 850x's each (which ARE high-end gen 4's) with only the factory sinks on them, with good case airflow, running major 3D CAD/CAM processes 16 hrs/day x 6 days/wk, and I have yet to see any of them go over 60-68c :)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I never said it was a "bug" but rather a design flaw that needs to be re-reviewed, reworked, and reengineered...

But you're right as far as passive heatsinks are concerned.... as all of my work towers (168.73) contain 4x 850x's each (which ARE high-end gen 4's) with only the factory sinks on them, with good case airflow, running major 3D CAD/CAM processes 16 hrs/day x 6 days/wk, and I have yet to see any of them go over 60-68c :)

it's really also not a design flaw, you want the latest speeds on the latest nodes you get lots of heat. Go down a bit in speed or wait for the next node at the same speed and you'll be fine.
It's not unlike the amount of cooling you need for a 19999k or something lower.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Just what we all want, 20mm fans spinning at 10000 RPM.
It actually hadn't registerd in my brain how tiny these fans are, until I saw one today at the show, from a different company. In facto, it's more center of fan than fanblades...

it was a thing in the past for memory modules
No, they were never this tiny.

And so it begins.....Since gen 5 m.2 prices are on a downward slide, I have a distinct feeling that these so-called "solutions" will only be used to increase their ASP's & therefore prop up the mfgr margins :(

IMHO, if an m.2 drive requires liquid AND air cooling just to operate at anything approaching normal speeds & temps, then somebody, somewhere, needs to seriously rethink this tech, like, yesterday :(

Having said that though, I might consider this useful on external drives, as any drive inside a small, mostly sealed enclosure, with limited airflow, will run hotter than when inside a pc case, where good airflow is moar readily available...

silence IS both golden, AND a virtue after all.. :D
Bonehead my hard friend... I can't say I disagree with you at all -- or have anything funny to add. Jebus.