• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Already Using Modified "12V-2x6" Power Connector on GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
A few days ago, we reported that NVIDIA and PCI-SIG have been doing some work around the existing controversial 12VHPWR power connector to make some improvements and prevent issues that happened along the way. Called 12V-2x6, the connector features minor revisions, and you can read more about it here. Today, we learn that NVIDIA has already been shipping implementations of the new 12V-2x6 connector in GeForce RTX 4070 graphics cards, confirmed by Igor's Lab. Majority of RTX 4070 cards from AIBs shipped with 8-pin PCI connector; however, it turns out that cards that didn't use the reference 12-pin connection carried a new 12V-2x6 revision.

Below, you can see the picture comparison with the connectors from the Founders Edition of GeForce RTX 4070 and RTX 4080. The new connector on the RTX 4070 has shorter sensing pins, which can detect whether the connector is fully plugged in. If not plugged all the way, the card will not draw the required maximum power load. This should, in theory, solve connector burning issues happening in the past; however, we are still left to see. In addition, we are not sure if this is the final implementation of the new connector, as the labeling refferest to it as "H+", whereas the new connector should carry the label "H++" on its module. Igor's Lab article notes, "Since the GeForce RTX 4070 FE, NVIDIA has already been using a modified 12VHPWR connector with significantly recessed pins! While the GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition still relies on the header from the CEM 5.0 with only 0.45 mm offset, the GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition has been using a modified variant with 1.7 mm inward offset since its launch, similar to the 12V-2x6 connector."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
That thing was disastrous and i don't even understand how people paid 2000$ and didn't complain about a badly designed fire hazard connector. GN didn't help at all.
Anyway now they have a rare specimen of a card with a badly designed connector and their value in the used market will go to shit. I can't say i'm sorry honestly.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Nvidia managed to avoid a product recall here. Now they silently replace connectors to make their products more safe and at the same time avoid lawsuits.

GN didn't help at all.
GN helped to make the "problem" (for Nvidia) to go away in an instance.
No one really wondered how GN managed to create such a professional video? No one?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Nvidia managed to avoid a product recall here. Now they silently replace connectors to make their products more safe and at the same time avoid lawsuits.

the fact that the changes don't involve just the cables, and you can't even change this without a new part and soldering skills on the card side really tells you none of this was ok

That thing was disastrous and i don't even understand how people paid 2000$ and didn't complain about a badly designed fire hazard connector. GN didn't help at all.
Anyway now they have a rare specimen of a card with a badly designed connector and their value in the used market will go to shit. I can't say i'm sorry honestly.
This is literally one of the solutions they proposed becoming reality, so did they really not help at all?

GN helped to make the "problem" (for Nvidia) to go away in an instance.
No one really wondered how GN managed to create such a professional video? No one?
Oh, please. GN is one of the most successful channels on tech youtube. Nobody wondered how they've made such a professional video because they've produced plenty of other professional videos on their own. GN has also slammed Nvidia repeatedly for the 40-series in reviews, but sure, they're paid off anyway I guess? lol

Why do you think anyone buying these is looking to offload them instantly on used car sales GPU market?

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Early tech most likely always have some issues, I was dreading when I early purchased my rtx 3090 but turns out there was only a bios update for that vram thing…

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Why do you think anyone buying these is looking to offload them instantly on used car sales GPU market?

did i say instantly? eventually, now, in a year, 2, 3, 4

And if it survives that long how is the connector bad? Most people don't go selling expensive GPU's unless they need a replacement, for whatever reason, or they need the money. Even if it was a bad design your circular arguments make very little sense!

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
Oh, please. GN is one of the most successful channels on tech youtube. Nobody wondered how they've made such a professional video because they've produced plenty of other professional videos on their own. GN has also slammed Nvidia repeatedly for the 40-series in reviews, but sure, they're paid off anyway I guess? lol
That's the idea. You have to go to one of the most respectful channels if you wish to have a success with such a kind of video.

The extend they gone in that video, I don't remember them going that far before. Even with other equipment catching fire, they where doing everything in their own labs. They weren't going checking connectors under microscopes, with high tech equipment in high tech labs. Talking about microscopic metal derbies and stuff, if I am remembering the video correctly. And who point them in that direction? I mean, who had the idea to check a simple connector in such a detail?
Then when the burning issue starting coming back those last months, this time with adapters that where suppose to fix this problem, Steve did in one of his videos a lengthy attempt to convince his audience that it was still a "user error". He wasn't looking as enthusiastic as usual in that part, but rather caution.

The above is my opinion of course.

Now GN slamming Nvidia? You being funny here. GN was Nvidia friendly for a very long time. They ridicule RX 6500 XT as they should but avoid doing the same about GTX 1630. Then in their latest video about the worst products of 2022, they remembered again the RX 6500XT and forgot the GTX 1630. And don't tell me "Come on. GTX 1630?". I don't point in that as a proof, just as an indication.

The only thing happening lately is that AMD had dropped it's prices in the floor, while Nvidia pushes an RTX 4000 series that people hate for it's prices and it's limitations. GN can't be Nvidia friendly here, audience will burn them. And that was proven a few weeks ago. Jaytwocents's channel - yeah that guy "Buy RTX 3090 now that you can at $1500") published a video review of the RTX 4060 Ti that was looking like an advertisement directly from Nvidia's marketing department that had to remove a few hours latter with a second video apologizing.

GN laughing at RTX 4000 prices to please the audience and realizing after many months that was ignoring AMD that AMD does exist as an alternative, is NOT "slamming Nvidia".

Now, please. I know that the huge majority will disagree, even strongly, with the above opinion about GN. So, let's not continue further about GN.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And if it survives that long how is the connector bad?
The connector has been used properly so it didn't exhibit failure. The connector however is still 'bad' in the sense of its design and accompanying risk.

Will be interesting to see if that issue becomes a used-card thing to mention at the advertisement. I think it will.

That's the idea. You have to go to one of the most respectful channels if you wish to have a success with such a kind of video.

The extend they gone in that video, I don't remember them going that far before. Even with other equipment catching fire, they where doing everything in their own labs. They weren't going checking connectors under microscopes, with high tech equipment in high tech labs. Talking about microscopic metal derbies and stuff, if I am remembering the video correctly. And who point them in that direction? I mean, who had the idea to check a simple connector in such a detail?
Then when the burning issue starting coming back those last months, this time with adapters that where suppose to fix this problem, Steve did in one of his videos a lengthy attempt to convince his audience that it was still a "user error". He wasn't looking as enthusiastic as usual in that part, but rather caution.

Now GN slamming Nvidia? You being funny here. GN was Nvidia friendly for a very long time. They ridicule RX 6500 XT as they should but avoid doing the same about GTX 1630. Then in their latest video about the worst products of 2022, they remembered again the RX 6500XT and forgot the GTX 1630. And don't tell me "Come on. GTX 1630?". I don't point in that as a proof, just as an indication.

The only thing happening lately is that AMD had dropped it's prices in the floor, while Nvidia pushes an RTX 4000 series that people hate for it's prices and it's limitations. GN can't be Nvidia friendly here, audience will burn them. And that was proven a few weeks ago. Jaytwocents's channel - yeah that guy "Buy RTX 3090 now that you can at $1500") published a video review of the RTX 4060 Ti that was looking like an advertisement directly from Nvidia's marketing department that had to remove a few hours latter with a second video apologizing.

GN laughing at RTX 4000 prices to please the audience and realizing after many months that was ignoring AMD that AMD does exist as an alternative, is NOT "slamming Nvidia".

Now, please. I know that the huge majority will disagree, even strongly, with the above opinion about GN. So, let's not continue further about GN.
Youtubers being Youtubers. Steve exists to generate clicks. He does that by producing content we want to see. That is all this is and all it'll every be, until eternity, with anything that is called entertainment.

The real problem lies with the receiver, not the sender...

Audio Device(s) onboard
did i say instantly? eventually, now, in a year, 2, 3, 4
Most people will sell 3-6 months before their warranty ends. A 3-6 months warranty keeps the card's price high in the second hand market, by giving a sense of security to the buyer.
Most people don't go selling expensive GPU's unless they need a replacement, for whatever reason, or they need the money.
Many play the game like a stock market. They try to buy at the best time and sell at the best time. Even if that means having to wait for months with a GTX 1060 or even integrated graphics until the new model from Nvidia/Intel/AMD arrives.

You don't want to continue the argument, but you sure have a lot to say here anyway. I don't want to continue the argument either, but I'll just say that this is absurdly conspiratorial. It doesn't take a paid shill to have the opinion GN held in their videos about the 12VHPWR connector. And I'll end this by pointing out that while that video was the first time GN has hired the services of a failure analysis lab, it wasn't the last. In fact, the next one was probably a lot more expensive due to what was being analyzed and how, and I struggle to see what shadowy figure would be funding this if it wasn't self-funded:

Believe what you want, but this is just what GN does, and they have the money to do it.

Audio Device(s) onboard
Youtubers being Youtubers. Steve exists to generate clicks. He does that by producing content we want to see. That is all this is and all it'll every be, until eternity, with anything that is called entertainment.

The real problem lies with the receiver, not the sender...
Totally agree.

is absurdly conspiratorial
Yes I know that it looks like that.
PS About the X3D. It wasn't "user error", was it?
It wasn't Nvidia either

The best takeaway from all this is that no manufacturer is perfect so brand loyalty is not a prudent buying strategy.

If you care about RT above all else, then Nvidia is the best choice. AMD has the most gen ras frames per dollar on the high end. The most VRAM for the least money is Intel’s 16GB A770. Pick based on your needs and only use the internet to get objective data informing you of which card meets these needs.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
i don't mean at all GN was paid by Nvidia, idk, but that they whitewashed the problem, that they definetely did, for money, views, not to make more issues with nvidia, ignorance about the real issue, whatever it was. The proof is right here.
Anyway it will hillarious to see Steve's reaction. We were wrong, we are trash media :D:D:D

The best takeaway from all this is that no manufacturer is perfect so brand loyalty is not a prudent buying strategy.

If you care about RT above all else, then Nvidia is the best choice. AMD has the most gen ras frames per dollar on the high end. The most VRAM for the least money is Intel’s 16GB A770. Pick based on your needs and only use the internet to get objective data informing you of which card meets these needs.

to be fair for Nvidia this is not on them, this was on the PCI-SIG, but they definetly ignored the issue later and tried by any means to escape from a recall, including "buying the favors of media" most likely

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Believe what you want, but this is just what GN does, and they have the money to do it.
Cmon man, Steve's an entertainer and all he does is just for clicks. /s

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
This is needed on the 4090 not the 4070.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Cmon man, Steve's an entertainer and all he does is just for clicks. /s

we don't have nvidia/amd/intel fanboys, now we have Youtubers fanboy too, even when they f'up this bad

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory G.Skill CL30 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage SH Hynix P41 2TB
Display(s) LG C2 42"
Case Corsair 7000d Airflow
Audio Device(s) Vanatoo Transparent Zero
Power Supply Corsair HX1500i ATX 3.0
Benchmark Scores Time Spy - 31 068
Old one works great.

Still waiting to see a graphics card that's completely powered through PCI-Express only and doesn't suck. Besides, the tendancy is to reduce the number of lanes: if a card like the RTX 4090 works well on x16 PCI-Ex 4.0, it should work just as well on x8 PCI-Ex 5.0. They could, probably, use the remaining x8 lanes to deliver more power? Maybe up to 225 W? I'd like that - a 4070 running only on PCI-Express power.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Should put to bed the bullshit that it was all customers, A BAD design is a BAD Design.

I used to watch GN, that says a lot, guy's a drama hunting click beast.

Worth noting the pci group also redesigned the same connection because it was defective!?

Last edited: