• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overwatch 2 Coming to Steam on August 10, Blizzard Hints About Adding More IPs in the Future

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
As Blizzard evolves as a studio, inside and out, one of the ideas pushing us forward is meeting players around the world where they are and making our games as easy as possible to access and play. We want to give everyone a chance to experience our universes with old friends while making new ones, no matter how they choose to play.

Battle.net is the home of all our PC players, and over the years, we've evolved our platform to support updated technologies, capabilities, and our communities' expectations. But as we've evolved, the industry has evolved too-gaming is no longer just for specific communities as it was when Battle.net launched over two decades ago, gaming is for everyone-and though we remain committed to continually investing in and supporting Battle.net, we want to break down the barriers to make it easier for players everywhere to find and enjoy our games. Which is why we're trying something new...

We're excited to announce that we are bringing a selection of our games to Steam, starting with Overwatch 2… which will be available on the platform on August 10!

"It's our goal at Blizzard to listen to players and try to exceed their expectations in everything we do," said Mike Ybarra, President of Blizzard Entertainment. "While Battle.net remains a priority for us now and into the future, we've heard players want the choice of Steam for a selection of our games, starting with Overwatch 2 on August 10th. We're happy to work with Valve to make that happen."

"Gamers and developers are both going to benefit from Overwatch 2 coming to Steam," said Gabe Newell, Valve's president. "Gamers will have another platform where they can play a beloved game that utilizes the capabilities of Steam, and developers will benefit from the effects of having the talented team at Blizzard helping us evolve our supported features and functionality for Overwatch 2."

As a free-to-play, team-based game, we believe Overwatch 2 is the perfect title for Blizzard's debut on the platform. Overwatch 2: Invasion is launching with more new types of gameplay experiences than at any point in the game's storied 7-year history, including the first-ever set of PvE Story Missions, a new core PvP game mode with two new maps, and of course, a new hero. It's a great opportunity for new players to enjoy their first experience of the Overwatch universe.

Overwatch 2's presence on Steam is in addition to Battle.net, so the incredible community already accessing the game through Battle.net can play as they have with no changes required. Players on Steam will still need to connect Overwatch 2 to a Battle.net account, as we require for all platforms, which enables cross-platform play and more. Players using Steam will have access to features of the platform while playing Overwatch 2, such as Steam achievements, their Steam friends list, and the ability to invite them to play in-game. We're excited to see the response from the Overwatch community-both veteran players and new ones who come on board through Steam-and we're looking forward to hearing their feedback.

As far as what's next for Blizzard on Steam, we'll be sharing more about potential other games coming to the platform when the time is right.

The Overwatch 2 Steam page is live now, and is available to wishlist! We invite the Overwatch community to give their new teammates playing from Steam a warm welcome on August 10! To stay up to date with everything Blizzard, be sure to follow us on Twitter.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
One bloated client app less. Good.
Nope, they're only going to be using Steam as a storefront. Just like Ubis**t, when you click the "Play" button in Steam all it will do is fire up their launcher.

(In case you don't know why I replaced "of" in "Ubisoft", it's because I actually used "hi", because swearing technically isn't allowed on these forums. Figure it out.)

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Nope, they're only going to be using Steam as a storefront. Just like Ubis**t, when you click the "Play" button in Steam all it will do is fire up their launcher.

(In case you don't know why I replaced "of" in "Ubisoft", it's because I actually used "hi", because swearing technically isn't allowed on these forums. Figure it out.)
They're not.

You most likely need an account, but no app required.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
I heard people raving about how good the single player campaign was, how is it?

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Are you thinking of Titanfall 2 maybe? Because that is pretty great.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Overwatch 2 player engagement is way down so Steam availability is probably a desperate attempt at improving discoverability.

For sure Steam has other benefits than being a popular digital game storefront. It has additional technologies (like Steam Input API support) that make it a better launcher and a strong modding community (though not applicable for this particular title). It also has a way better CDN infrastructure and a more sane game archiving system than other launchers (*cough* Epic Game Launcher *cough*).

Just throw in a diacritic. Comment filters do a piss poor job at handling those. Then you don't have to explain it: just write Ubishït. Not technically swearing since it's not a real word.

This isn't a specific workaround strategy for TPU. You can do it pretty much anywhere including all social media sites. Nothing new there.

Amusingly, AI might do a better job filtering those out versus human-created content filters.

Not that it really matters. We understand the point being communicated whether it's an unfiltered real word, self-censored stand-in, or a sneaky diacritic-enabled trick, whatever.

Last edited:
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Are you thinking of Titanfall 2 maybe? Because that is pretty great.
I was being sarcastic about OW2 not having single player. I don't play any Respawn games though after Activision screwed them over I always wish them the best.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Overwatch 2 player engagement is way down so Steam availability is probably a desperate attempt at improving discoverability.

For sure Steam has other benefits than being a popular digital game storefront. It has additional technologies (like Steam Input API support) that make it a better launcher and a strong modding community (though not applicable for this particular title). It also has a way better CDN infrastructure and a more sane game archiving system than other launchers (*cough* Epic Game Launcher *cough*).
ActiZard is desperate to get more players, the overwatch community has been tanking recently. They royally screwed the pooch and turned the audience on themselves. The Steam Play numbers are gonna be hilarious, kina like halo infinite.
Just throw in a diacritic. Comment filters do a piss poor job at handling those. Then you don't have to explain it: just write Ubishït. Not technically swearing since it's not a real word.

This isn't a specific workaround strategy for TPU. You can do it pretty much anywhere including all social media sites. Nothing new there.

Amusingly, AI might do a better job filtering those out versus human-created content filters.

Not that it really matters. We understand the point being communicated whether it's an unfiltered real word, self-censored stand-in, or a sneaky diacritic-enabled trick, whatever.
I remember when forum members were smart enough to figure out what words like "ubis**t" meant. Now we have Reddit moments where we have to explain this stuff.....

They're not.

You most likely need an account, but no app required.
Yes, account is still required:

Deader than dead. OW2 is just OW1 with minor tweaks to the PvP side of things and not ever worth even a 50% sale cost, and they completely abandoned the promised PvE side of things.

I hope this game crashes and burns on Steam, just like it's slowly been crashing in Blizzard's own marketfront.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Case Corsair 750D
VR HMD Quest 2
System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Case Corsair 750D
VR HMD Quest 2
If there hadn't been OW1 then OW2 would be an amazing F2P game & be hugely successful. But making everyone buy OW1, then overwriting it with a F2P version they call OW2, is such a dumb, dick move, I just don't wanna go back to it to spite whichever idiots thought that was a good idea.
I loved OW1, had a few hundred hours in it. It was one of my favourite games ever to play online with friends.

My Reply to Blizzard and the market speak reasons they give??? IMHO... Utter BullSh!t.

I believe they are doing this is to push product to the other buy to reduce bandwidth and of course COST. They won't have to upkeep their legacy systems which they do have.

People forget that these @$$hats tried to pull a fast on in 2016 with their netcode speeds and all hell ensued. They were using 20hz Netcode speeds until they were caught. Great for Warcrack... Not so great for an E-sport.

Note: I was lucky enough to be a Beta Tester when it first launched. I loved that game and as a casual gamer I spent money on it, which I do not regret spending, as over the years the old man made some friends with some young punks.

Note II: I knew OV1 was in serious trouble when Chris Metznen suddenly left two weeks after launch and "papa" Jeff took over...

And we all know what happened afterwards. Some of the laziest programming that I have ever seen coming from a AAA that had a good thing going.
And then the game just became a parody.

So yea, I know a weeeeee bit about that game and of course the industry as well.

System Name Vedica
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390
Cooling Alphacool Eisblock XPX
Memory 32GB DDR4, 4x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D30AESBK
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080
Storage 2x Sabrent 1 TB Rocket - 1x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004
Display(s) Dell AW3423DWF
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Motu M2
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Wooting One
System Name GIGABYTE BLUE PRO
Processor INTEL CORE i7-4770k
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H
Cooling noctua NH-D12L
Memory HyberX fury DDR3 32GB (4X8)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 AMP White Edition
Storage HyberX fury 256GB SSD, WD blue 1TB HDD, Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD
Display(s) Lenovo legion Y25-30
Case GIGABYTE GZ-G1 PLUS
Power Supply GIGABYTE SUPERB 720
Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
Keyboard Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
Software Windows 11 Pro
good, as long they didn't need other launcher i will uninstall battelnet launcher, i hate an every game requiring or installing the own launchers

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

That sarcasm or have you been only listening to the most blue-pilled blizzard diehards? Majority of those still playing O2 says single-player is a disappointment.

System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
That sarcasm or have you been only listening to the most blue-pilled blizzard diehards? Majority of those still playing O2 says single-player is a disappointment.
There is no single player campaign it's all multiplayer. They are going to add singleplayer at some point but currently it is a multiplayer only game.

Memory 32GB / 24GB
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Just to set the record straight, I already knew they dumped a massive amount of work on single player. I was being sarcastic.