• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Will Use Your Data to Train Their AI According to Updated Privacy Policy

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
A bigger issue is that they seem to be rolling out a removal of pagination on their text search page. Thats a big enough issue for me that it will stop me using the search engine.

On a new install of windows with me not logged into google I have no pagination, just an option to either auto generate new results on scroll or to manually click.

Luckily at the moment on this PC whilst signed in I still have pagination.
Out of curiosity, if everything can be accomplished by simply scrolling, why would you require the paginations controls, too?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I hope we can see improvements to translations quickly.

it’s ok for romance and Germanic languages but there is a lot to be desired when going between let’s say English and Korean.
For translation use Bard, not the crappy Google Translate.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
For translation use Bard, not the crappy Google Translate.
Bard is only available in select few countries atm. Probably the same languages where translate already handles pretty well.

Still, whether using Bard or Translate, I wouldn't copy/paste their output without proofreading.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Out of curiosity, if everything can be accomplished by simply scrolling, why would you require the paginations controls, too?
Everything cant be accomplished by endless scrolling.

Thats why people like me want pagination, my desktop isnt a phone.

Two issues of top of my head, is scrolling endlessly can lead to large resource usage as the page size just keeps growing and what happens if you want to skip to e.g.l page 50 without pagination?

Practical example, search for something, do maybe 5 page scroll cycles (equivalent of page 5 pagination) then load a link, click back, you not back to where you were but instead start of scroll, on pagination you back to the page you was on. Pagination is just flat out superior hence it was the logical evolution of desktop UI design, infinite scroll was developed for phones with devs then not wanting to maintain two UI's dumping it on desktop users.

Youtube search is awful now with no pagination, gave up on it once they dumped it. Try finding oldest video from a youtuber with 1000s of videos easily without pagination and now without the order by oldest first option which also got removed.

PDF method might be a reasonable compromise, it combines pagination with infinite scrolling, as most office type apps do. So if a browser auto changed its URL allowing you to skip back to where you are as it scrolls, and to manage resource usage actively shrink the page, I have seen some websites work by when you scroll down it just loads next page so pagination controlled via scrolling (or click), thats probably the best hybrid solution on the web.

Last edited:
Bard is only available in select few countries atm. Probably the same languages where translate already handles pretty well.

Still, whether using Bard or Translate, I wouldn't copy/paste their output without proofreading.

No longer that selective, it opened up last week for most of Europe and Brazil

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Everything cant be accomplished by endless scrolling.

Thats why people like me want pagination, my desktop isnt a phone.

Two issues of top of my head, is scrolling endlessly can lead to large resource usage as the page size just keeps growing and what happens if you want to skip to e.g.l page 50 without pagination?

Practical example, search for something, do maybe 5 page scroll cycles (equivalent of page 5 pagination) then load a link, click back, you not back to where you were but instead start of scroll, on pagination you back to the page you was on. Pagination is just flat out superior hence it was the logical evolution of desktop UI design, infinite scroll was developed for phones with devs then not wanting to maintain two UI's dumping it on desktop users.

Youtube search is awful now with no pagination, gave up on it once they dumped it. Try finding oldest video from a youtuber with 1000s of videos easily without pagination and now without the order by oldest first option which also got removed.

PDF method might be a reasonable compromise, it combines pagination with infinite scrolling, as most office type apps do. So if a browser auto changed its URL allowing you to skip back to where you are as it scrolls, and to manage resource usage actively shrink the page, I have seen some websites work by when you scroll down it just loads next page so pagination controlled via scrolling (or click), thats probably the best hybrid solution on the web.
Yeah, that doesn't hold.
Endless scroll doesn't mean you keep everything in memory, endless scroll also does pagination behind the scenes. When it detects you have scrolled towards the edge of your page, it retrieves the next one. And since it uses pagination, there's no reason it won't generate anchors so that you can return to your previous scroll position.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Yeah, that doesn't hold.
Endless scroll doesn't mean you keep everything in memory, endless scroll also does pagination behind the scenes. When it detects you have scrolled towards the edge of your page, it retrieves the next one. And since it uses pagination, there's no reason it won't generate anchors so that you can return to your previous scroll position.
These are possible scenarios a developer can do, but it doesnt mean thats how endless scrolling works out in the wild, I can confirm e.g. on google's endless scroll as I put in my post, when clicking back it dumps me back to the start of the search.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
These are possible scenarios a developer can do, but it doesnt mean thats how endless scrolling works out in the wild, I can confirm e.g. on google's endless scroll as I put in my post, when clicking back it dumps me back to the start of the search.
Yes, but a faulty implementation is not a reason to decide pagination is better than endless scrolling. You can have faulty pagination implementations that will always revert to the first page, too.
Proper handling of the "back" action is a generic problem of SPAs, it's not specific to pagination or endless scroll.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Yes, but a faulty implementation is not a reason to decide pagination is better than endless scrolling. You can have faulty pagination implementations that will always revert to the first page, too.
Proper handling of the "back" action is a generic problem of SPAs, it's not specific to pagination or endless scroll.
Well I can flip that and ask why you think endless scroll should be everywhere, not everyone likes it, its as simple as that, dev's can use hybrid solutions or keep pagination as an option, which I do see on some websites and some community software, choice given to the end user, I am a hard person to convince that forcing one UI mechanism is a good thing for end users.

For me the best use case I have seen on scroll to proceed mechanisms is when its pagination but scrolling down puts you on next page (foreground pagination not behind the scenes anchors) or simply have an option so the end user can choose what they what, that is likely the best of both worlds, but sadly it isnt very common place. I think we both said our piece here so I will leave it at that for me.

You are welcome to explain to me why you think its a bad idea not to have pagination as an option or a hybrid solution, but I probably wont reply and just read it as we drifting off topic.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Well I can flip that and ask why you think endless scroll should be everywhere
Simple reason: it can achieve exactly the same thing using fewer controls.

But I did not say it should be everywhere, I was curious why you got riled up about the change, since, imho, endless scrolling is the superior solution. You have explained that: the implementation you're looking at got the back button wrong. That's reason enough for me.