• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Report: ASUS to Start Production of GPUs With No External Power Connectors

To be fair, Asus is putting all the connectors on the backside of the motherboard. Each of these connectors are already standard. To create a standard of where every motherboard must place standard connectors is ridiculous. In addition, AIBs should have full freedom to introduce features like hardwired power connectors if they wish. All other AIBs GPUs will still work just fine. The Asus design does not prevent the use of other GPUs.

The article should be better worded by focusing on an Asus feature to help with cable management rather than implying the company is trying anything as bold as the creation of a new standard.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
With zero defined ATX Standardisation this is a shit show I will neither support finance or buy into.

Stick it Asus, get everyone on a standard or f### o##.

System Name XPS-9700
Processor Intel Core i9-10885H
Motherboard Dell 03CPGC
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) Hynix DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q Design 6GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 2TB SSD
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I just wonder, how high will be the ASUS tax on this new lineup?

It's over 9000!

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
Do I like the idea of power delivery with fewer cables floating around: Yes.
Am I going to buy these current products from ASUS: No.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
That’s madness from ASUs if it’s not standardised.
Only a prebuilt has a meaning of this and after that you throw away everything since you can’t save anything.

Dell, HP, Lenovo sell prebuilts and ASUs can do that without having to invent the wheel again.

That’s madness from ASUs if it’s not standardised.
Only a prebuilt has a meaning of this and after that you throw away everything since you can’t save anything.

Dell, HP, Lenovo sell prebuilts and ASUs can do that without having to invent the wheel again.
Again this is not an attempt at a standard but rather a competitive feature on some Asus products to help with cable management. Every PSU and GPU will still work with this motherboard. Only the Asus GPU will require this specific board.

Techpowerup recently toured Powercolor.

In this article you will see pictures of GPUs in their unsocketed form. GPUs are added to ‘motherboards’ (generic term for a PCB) just like CPUs.
1690372596601.png

1690372637523.png
Many motherboards have unique features such as shrouds, ‘military’ components, soundcards on risers, etc that help set them apart. Asus has a GPU and CPU motherboard business. They are using a feature on both to help sell to people interested in cable management. That’s it!

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Every PSU and GPU will still work with this motherboard. Only the Asus GPU will require this specific board.

there is also the case compatibility you're forgetting

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Absolutely. I believe that given how they f**ked up BTX, Intel doesn't deserve to be the authority over the ATX spec in any way - neither the physical form factor (motherboards and chassis), nor PSU rails and output. But we can leave the latter alone for now because it still holds up mostly okay.

What we need is for a whole bunch of players who actually care about this - not Intel, but the motherboard, GPU, PSU, cooler, and case manufacturers - into a room to discuss this and just throw some s**t at the wall and see what sticks, refine it down until they've got a consensus on how they want parts to be shaped and how they fit together, and then present it to the rest of the industry and see how much interest they get. If there's a wide enough agreement then they can release their design as a royalty-free spec, and everyone can just go ahead with building out components utilising this new standard.

To avoid the "too many cooks" approach we should keep this initial working group small (five or six companies), limited to those that have shown interest in innovating in this space. Off the top of my head that would be ASUS (chassis, mobo, GPU), MSI (chassis, mobo) and Corsair (PSU). On top of those we'd want a cooler manufacturer that actually designs coolers, not just rebadges them (so maybe one of the OEMs). Then at least one dedicated chassis manufacturer, although I can't think of one I'd consider innovative per se.
As much as I agree with you, this will sadly never happen.

The Taiwanese hardware makers are too competitive to sit down in a room and work this out. They'd much rather fling poop or stinky tofu at each other than agree on something.

I've attended some of the "working groups" meetings, although this was about an IoT type standard and the big companies pull the "we're bigger than you, so our opinion matters more than yours" card all the time, even though smaller companies might have better solutions to a problem. This is likely to happen in a situation like this as well.
Sadly this is also a reoccuring issue when new standards are approved and we often end up with inferior standards, because reasons.

I've made severa suggestions over the years, but no-one has been interested in listening, as I'm just some crazy foreigner, what can I possly know that these big corporations haven't already figured out?

Then you have companies like Lian-Li who went after pretty much all of their competitiors that made aluminium chassis at one point and took them to court, as they claimd they had a patent or some shit on that.

The industry is screwing itself over as 1. they won't play nice with their competitors and 2. they won't listen to customer feedback and 3. they can't work out new standards, so big daddy Intel has to give them an spanking and tell them what to do. In all fairness, since Intel stopped doing IDF Taiwan, the so called "innovation" has also slowed down, as the Taiwanese hardware makers don't get reference designs from Intel any more to base their new laptops and what not on. So as much as I don't disagree that Intel has made some bad calls, they were also a driving force for new products, which the company isn't to the same extent any more.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
Things that should have happened 20 years ago, Alex.

This is just an attempt to create a closed proprietary ecosystem playing on vanity. In the next generation they'll move the connector by two millimeters and stop supporting the "old" standard so people will have to buy a new graphics card if they get a new motherboard or the other way around. That's one of the reasons for the existence of standards.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
To be fair, Asus is putting all the connectors on the backside of the motherboard. Each of these connectors are already standard. To create a standard of where every motherboard must place standard connectors is ridiculous. In addition, AIBs should have full freedom to introduce features like hardwired power connectors if they wish. All other AIBs GPUs will still work just fine. The Asus design does not prevent the use of other GPUs.

The article should be better worded by focusing on an Asus feature to help with cable management rather than implying the company is trying anything as bold as the creation of a new standard.
That's the issue. This is a LIMITATION even if it does become an open standard (unlikley, IMO).

By restricting where manufacturers can put connectors on their boards, you're limiting the board layout even more than it already is. Yes, the edges is the most convenient place for the connectors, but it's not always possible. And how does "around the edge" work for E-ATX (SSI EEB), mATX, and mITX boards, exactly? They have no more than two edges in common.

D

Deleted member 232534

BTW title is misleading, because this still have power connector. Title suggest asus is going full out in a 70watt segment.

What we need is for a whole bunch of players who actually care about this - not Intel, but the motherboard, GPU, PSU, cooler, and case manufacturers - into a room to discuss this and just throw some s**t at the wall and see what sticks,

IMO the psu/case cables in the back makes sense. (You don't touch case cables unless changing the case. You run the psu cables in the back anyway)

This asus power connector embedded in motherboard have no sense.

Initial impressions:
- I love innovations, but are they all meaningful?
- why is that 4070 GPU so da** big!? Absurd... We know that Ada GPUs are efficient and easier to cool. Why waste so much material for nothing? Brain hurts...
- does this new power port GC_HPWR mean more heat on the custom motherboard, as power is delivered through PCB?
- if so, more PCB layers are needed to isolate high power traces and therefore more expensive boards?
- what is going to cool this area of PCB? MB vendors are reluctunt to give us 60W/100W power for charging over USC-C ports, and now 600W is suddenly easy and fine?
- will backplate space in PC cases need to widen to 4-5cm (double than now) to cover safe bending curve for 600W power cable?
- if so, will all PC cases be even wider and bulkier? CPU air coolers are not getting any smaller, so there is no saved space on the facing side of motherboads.
- will 600W power cables finally arrive angled by default, os that no one worries anymore about bending issue?
- if not an open standard, will it ever survive an experimental line of products?

System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
If they want to do this right they should leave the motherboard as standard ATX (not this reverse connector layout). And move the VGA power to somewhere near the ATX or CPU power plugs (IE somewhere that you could use in a standard layout case). IF they made these changes the only proprietary parts would be the motherboard and the video card which still isn't great but it's a much easier pill to swallow VS the aSUS design.

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
To be fair, as easy and clean this might look, I simply don't want to have so much “power” running through my mainboard. The mainboard vendors still ef up so basic things that I surely DON'T want to trust them with high power GPU lines. I know we had boards in the past with extra molex and so on for better “stability and oc”, but still I really dislike this idea.

In the end, it comes down to one board to kill them all (the components)........

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
To be fair, as easy and clean this might look, I simply don't want to have so much “power” running through my mainboard. The mainboard vendors still ef up so basic things that I surely DON'T want to trust them with high power GPU lines. I know we had boards in the past with extra molex and so on for better “stability and oc”, but still I really dislike this idea.

In the end, it comes down to one board to kill them all (the components)........

they are notorious for having amongst the worst failure rates, what can go wrong there /s

one the other hand with the insane prices they ask for one, the more they fail the better it is for profits

We definitely need some sort of standard for this.

sv.jpg

Powering stuff through the motherboard is'nt new. It's happening in servers already (no need for loads of cables) as much of that power is guided through the board. In crossfire boards you also had a seperate 12V molex connector that would power the PCI-E crossfire or SLI setup - i mean you could still technically provide up to 3 or even 4 PCI-E powered based cards up to 75W a piece. Noj way you could feed that all through on 24 pin connector without causing a fire.

Above demo is only for those who want to hide "all" cables and guide it through the back of the case.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Best of luck to those wanting to sell their card on the second hand market.

This is why 12VHPWR was introduced, to slim down on cables.

D

Deleted member 185088

View attachment 306391

Powering stuff through the motherboard is'nt new. It's happening in servers already (no need for loads of cables) as much of that power is guided through the board. In crossfire boards you also had a seperate 12V molex connector that would power the PCI-E crossfire or SLI setup - i mean you could still technically provide up to 3 or even 4 PCI-E powered based cards up to 75W a piece. Noj way you could feed that all through on 24 pin connector without causing a fire.

Above demo is only for those who want to hide "all" cables and guide it through the back of the case.
Come to think about it, is there a reason why PCIe is limited to 75w?
Going to 250/300w could end the need for external power for most GPUs.

75W is just the standard. Anything above requires it's own power source. But you would have to provide quite some big traces on the board to cover 300W of power.

I'm sure ASUS tested that - but there where incidents in the past in regards of world record overclocking, where cards pushed to their limits would actually fry the motherboards because they pulled way too much current over the PCI-E slot(s).

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
View attachment 306391

The amount of power that can provided by a 4-pin Molex or even a 6-pin PCIe pales in comparison to the six hundred watts possible via 12VHPWR. That's 8 times more power, with the associated considerations for heat dissipation - which are particularly notable in desktop boards that are passively cooled and aren't guaranteed to have constant airflow over them like their server brethren. And that much extra copper isn't gonna be cheap.

PCIe was designed back when an entire system consuming 600W was considered ridiculous. Nowadays a single component in a system can draw up to that much power. Which begs the question whether the problem lies with PCIe, or the components that are so ridiculously power-hungry.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Moving the dubious power connector to the back of the board doesn't solve anything, it's just adds one additional connector to the entire system.

As for this proprietary GPU that only works in a proprietary board that only works in a proprietary case, there are no pre-built reviews that praise the concept. AFAIK, it's a massive point of criticism that does nothing apart from lock customers into overpriced, under-available parts and generate e-waste.

Step one, if ASUS want to do this - is make an open standard, release it to the industry for royalty-free use, and sponsor a few case manufacturers to produce ATX-compatible cases that also work with Asus's new standard.
I assume an extra $100 for the board as well to add the integrity required to route 100s of watts over the PCB, horrible idea in my opinion.

What happens if the power stops routing properly, isnt clean etc? Just feels such a mess and a bodge job.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
Again this is not an attempt at a standard but rather a competitive feature on some Asus products to help with cable management. Every PSU and GPU will still work with this motherboard. Only the Asus GPU will require this specific board.

Techpowerup recently toured Powercolor.

In this article you will see pictures of GPUs in their unsocketed form. GPUs are added to ‘motherboards’ (generic term for a PCB) just like CPUs.
View attachment 306374

View attachment 306375Many motherboards have unique features such as shrouds, ‘military’ components, soundcards on risers, etc that help set them apart. Asus has a GPU and CPU motherboard business. They are using a feature on both to help sell to people interested in cable management. That’s it!

If it’s not standardised,
you can’t sell the gpu to anyone unless the buyer has specific mobo.
You can’t sell the mobo, unless the buyer has specific case.

This concept works only as a prebuilt. And you throw it away altogether at the end of its life.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I said it already in this thread, but there actually is an attempt at standardization. Don’t know why TPU editors keep ignoring this.

If you look deep into CES coverage, including some of the coverage here, you could find close to a dozen cases supporting this diy-ape/ytx standard. TPU editors ought to know this and refer to their own coverage. I get that you guys don’t seem to have board meetings but come on…

This is not an endorsement of whatever this is, ATX needs a complete overhaul and board partners should lead the way, but not just so they can hide cables.