• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epomaker Announes the Shadow-X - a Revolution in Mechanical Keyboards

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Discover innovation at its finest with the all-new Epomaker Shadow-X Mechanical Keyboard.

Sleek Design FRL TKL 70% Layout for Optimal Space Utilization
Embodying an unprecedented 70% layout, Epomaker spares no effort in creating the cutting-edge mechanical keyboard in hopes of bringing better typing and visual experience to keyboard enthusiasts. Epomaker Shadow-X is designed with a sleek outlook to not only optimize the desk space but also to retain the full function of a keyboard. Despite its Function-row-less TKL keyboard, a simple shortcut effortlessly activates the function row when needed.

Intuitive LCD screen and Precision Metal Rotary Knob
Keeping up with the modern trend, Shadow-X features an intuitive LCD screen that presents essential things to users at a glance. Moreover, the screen is fully customizable using the Epomaker Driver, allowing users to personalize the screen with favorite pictures or GIFs, elevating the keyboard experience to new heights. Another standout feature is its metal rotary knob, ingeniously set as a connection mode switch. With a seamless rotation, this innovative keyboard effortlessly switches between various devices.

Immersive Typing with Gasket Mount structure and PC Plate
The gasket-mount structure has long been known as the most popular structure in mechanical keyboards for its bouncy typing feeling. Unlike traditional tray, top, or bottom mounts, the gasket-mount structure offers a more cushioned feeling. Combined with a PC plate, which is the best partner for gasket mount, the keyboard delivers a wonderful and unparalleled typing sensation with each keystroke.

Ultimate Sound Profile with PORON Foam and IXPE Switch Sheet
Sound profile perfection is a paramount consideration in mechanical keyboards. Epomaker meticulously addresses this in the Shadow-X by equipping it with PORON Foam and an IXPE switch sheet - the keyboard effectively absorbs the hollow sound and minimizes the key stress to ensure the switch's durability.

Triple-mode Connection and Long-Lasting Battery
Epomaker Shadow-X is compatible with both Win and macOS systems. With a few shortcuts, the keyboard can easily jump from different operating systems. Also, the keyboard enables both wired USB and wireless 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth connection. In Bluetooth connection, the keyboard can connect to up to three devices simultaneously, which is an ideal solution for multi-device users. Supporting a robust 3000mAh battery, the Shadow-X excels in demanding work environments, providing extended battery life and eliminating frequent charging interruptions.

Price and Availability
Epomaker Shadow-X has been released on Epomaker's official website now, which is a budget keyboard with all the features mentioned above. It has various switch options including linear and tactile types to cater to the needs of different customers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
WTAF is the point of having the LCD in that position...

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Would have liked to see full sized one and even this one is missing entire F keys and Page-Up button which are quite important.
Mee 2 !
WTAF is the point of having the LCD in that position...
To me that LCD is essentially worthless because it contains WAY too much info/ too many icons, which are all WAY to small to be useful unless you are wearing magnifying glasses :)

It would have been much more useful if it was above the number keys, using most of or all of that space for a 1/2" high x 8-12" long display.....

System Name wasted talent
Processor i5-11400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B560M Aorussy Pro
Cooling Silverstone AR12
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 2X8 4400 @ 3600 C14,14,12,28
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6700 Pulse, Galax 1650 Super EX
Storage Kingston A2000 500GB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case open mATX: zwzdiy.cc/M/Product/209574419.html
Audio Device(s) HiFiMan HE400SE
Power Supply Strix Gold 650W
Mouse Skoll Mini, G502 LightSpeed
Keyboard Akko 3084S
Software 1809 LTSC
Benchmark Scores 3968/540 CB R20 MT/ST
Is there any reason why manufacturers arn't expanding keyboards vertically? I imagine I along with many others only wanted more mouse space.

Also, who the hell asked for TKL without F row? Is marketing really doing their job of finding the market?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why is it okay to sacrifice a key for the rotary dial, but squeeze the OLED into some spare space? I personally use PgUp about as much as I use PgDn.

I find this keyboard contradictory. Their marketing literally says "optimal space utilization" and then shows a picture of a very sub-optimal keyboard wasting a whole f***ing ton of space on bezels top and bottom. What's optimal about removing keys there's plenty of room for? Why do we need a rotary dial to switch between different devices, surely that was a solved problem with Fn+1, Fn+2, Fn+3 etc?

I'm clearly not the target audience for this, but it's such a kludge of contradicting different design ideas and features that I'm genuinely not sure who the hell would actual be the target audience for this. You're going to have to pry the QF Stealth from my cold dead hands...

1691427074553.png

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
To me that LCD is essentially worthless because it contains WAY too much info/ too many icons, which are all WAY to small to be useful unless you are wearing magnifying glasses :)

It would have been much more useful if it was above the number keys, using most of or all of that space for a 1/2" high x 8-12" long display.....
I'm not sure I want a keyboard like that even after I 'fixed' it in Photoshop.

Sure, it's better, but it's still not good (to me, at least).

1691430928630.png

The price is great but the layout is pretty confusing. I'm not sure it's worth dropping page up for a knob. Why not just copy the G913 corner dial thing if space is that tight?

Wireless and no decent encryption? Hard pass from me! Shame that the rest sounds interesting.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
This board could've been so much better if it didn't have that worthless LCD screen/ or move the screen to the top right corner, and wasn't surrounded by thick bezels.

I'll be sticking with my much loved Hyper X Alloy 65, thankie very much.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

View attachment 308033
Nice PS job, that's close to what I was getting at, but I was thinking more like having it in the center, which would reduce the amount of side to side looking I would have to do... :D

View attachment 308033

For me at least it's quite simple why this is dumb, you have one - or preferably more - large screen in front of you, why the hell would you care for a very small one in the keyboard?

Things like the stream deck make sense because the "screens" are part of the buttons and serve as labels, other info is much better presented in front of you on the regular monitor(s)

The screen in a neat gimmick. What is lost on me is, while I'd be happy to use a keyboard like this (no F row is fine with me), they claim the keyboard is compact because they removed that row. But then proceeded to add a one inch border around the outsides. That destroys any kind of value it has for me since my desktop is very limited in depth.