• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Raptor Lake Refresh" Confirmed for Mobile Segment Launch as i7-14700HX Surfaces

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is confirmed to be bringing the 14th Gen Core series to the mobile segment, with the Core i7-14700HX surfacing on leaked PugetBench online database. This would be a repeat of how Intel handled its 10th Gen Core series, with the technologically older "Comet Lake" silicon with its higher core count being confined to the mainstream -H, and enthusiast -HX market segments, with the then contemporary "Ice Lake" silicon handling the thin and light -U and -P segments. Intel is close to launching its "Meteor Lake" silicon, which it will likely address the -U, -P, and some tiers of the -H segments with. These could feature a newer Core and Core Ultra product branding, while "Raptor Lake Refresh" retains the more recognizable 14th Gen Core processor model numbering scheme similar to that of its desktop cousin.

Besides the Core i7-14700HX that now surfaced on PugetBench database, there have been leaks about at least two other models from the "Raptor Lake Refresh" mobile pedigree—Core i5-14650HX, and the i9-14900HX. It's very likely that the flagship "i9-14980HK" part is based on "Raptor Lake Refresh," featuring an unlocked multiplier, and power limits rivaling the desktop i9-14900, for notebooks that are really just desktop replacements. The Intel prototype notebook from the i7-14700HX leak features a discrete Arc A570M GPU, and 64 GB of DDR5-4800 SO-DIMM memory. If the power limit convention is carried over from the 13th Gen, you're looking at 55 W processor base power, and 157 W of maximum turbo power (or burst power). What we don't yet know about the i7-14700HX is its core-configuration. The current i7-13700HX features an 8P+8E configuration, and it remains to be seen if the i7-14700HX gets an 8P+12E config similar to its desktop counterpart.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

10nm was years behind schedule when it finally reached widespread availability in low-power laptops, and now Intel 4 is years behind schedule and only coming to low-power laptops. And this time the processor isn't a monolothic die and Intel isn't deliberately holding back its foundries to fulfill server orders for a global pandemic-driven lockdown. The actual Intel 4 CPU die is tiny. Intel needs to sort out its problems. (Maybe a lot of foundry capacity is tied up prepping for Intel 3 processors for Intel servers CPUs and IFS customers.)

D

Deleted member 185088

They need stop the e-core nonsense, and add real cores, or make those e-cores actually efficient and not for benchmarks.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I don't understand why this product exists other than to tarnish Intel's own image...

I agree -- It's a last second plug fill for meteor lake. They couldn't get meteor lake S to be a meaningful improvement and probably thought that IVR would get them more clocks/W - which it does but not enough to justify a new processor.

It's basically a small price drop on the 13900KS (14900K).

Easy answer. What else would Dell use for their laptops. Certainly don't seem to be interested in AMD apu's.
If that's true, it's practically irrational since AMD's APUs are more efficient, but to be honest, I've seen Dell gaming laptops with the option to choose AMD CPUs.