• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) Production Ramped Up

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
We're excited to share that Framework Laptop 16 made it into TIME's Best Inventions of 2023! This is our second product winning this award, with the original Framework Laptop making it onto the cover in 2021. Dave2D also got an early hands-on with a DVT2 engineering sample over the weekend and was surprised by the refinement of the design. This was a random development unit, and the final product has further improvement on mechanical fit and finish.

We know that the many of you who have placed pre-orders are eager to get your hands on the product. We're coming up to the end of the DVT2 phase, which is the final engineering phase of our product development process. The Framework engineering and supply chain teams are heads down now on engineering validation, completing firmware development, and readying manufacturing. This is by far the most complex product we've built, both from a design and an operational perspective, and we're putting everything we have into getting it right. We've made dozens of small mechanical and electrical changes over the last couple of months, and we'll be sharing some highlights on these over the coming weeks along with more detail on the schedule for mass production.

Production fully ramped up on Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series)
We had a bit of a slow start on Ryzen 7040 Series, but our production is now fully ramped up and we're making our way through pre-order batches quickly. Batch 1 is now completely shipped, Batch 2 is most of the way through, and we're starting Batch 3 shipments this week. We currently expect to clear all pre-order batches and move into in-stock before the end of the year. This means that if you place a pre-order now, it should ship within the next two months. We've also released a Beta version of an updated BIOS and driver bundle that resolves issues we couldn't land in time for launch, including around improved Linux compatibility. This will be exiting Beta shortly and will be pre-loaded onto newly produced units starting from part of Batch 3. Finally, we've continued to see stellar reviews on this product, with The Verge giving it a 9/10.

61Wh Battery now available
The higher-capacity 61Wh Battery for Framework Laptop 13 is now available in the Framework Marketplace. It took some extra time for us to get this one ready due to shipping restrictions around lithium ion batteries. It's now orderable in all countries we ship to except Australia, where we're still working through a path for fulfillment.

Note that while the 61Wh Battery is electrically compatible with all Framework Laptop 13 models, you'll need to update your BIOS on 11th Gen and 12th Gen systems to unlock the additional capacity. The 11th Gen 3.19 BIOS update is ready now, while the 12th Gen update is in development.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix B450-I
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock TF 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800
Storage 480GB MyDigitalSSD NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X
Power Supply 850w
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 5
I have one. It's pretty great.

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
Too bad that don't ship to my country yet.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
I'd like to see a minimum of a 16GB AMD GPU option, I'm already running out of VRAM with my RX 6800 on my desktop @ 1440p. That being said this looks fantastic. I looked up the specs on the 780M and TPU suggests that it's just a little less powerful than my old RX 290X so it should game at moderate settings @ 1080p with the base APU configuration. The prices for the RAM and SSDs is a bit steep though they make it clear that you can bring your own. It would be desirable to have RAID between the two NVMe drives though I never do more than presentations for clients in regards to work on laptops.

The keyboard has a full right shift key and the guy in the video demonstrated (poorly) that the keyboard is LED-backlit which is really important if using a laptop in a darker area. They still have the FN key in the wrong position, it should be to the right of the Meta ("Windows") key but whatever.

He didn't give much attention to the ports though there was enough to realize that all of the connectors convert to USB C. Being able to chuck a bad USB port would be highly desirable as they seem to die on laptops at a somewhat alarming rate. I'm very interested in getting one of these maybe in the next few months.

Pizdarenkowitch

It's a nice toy to play around,but i don't like laptops,because for me laptop = TRASH & vacuum cleaner too.
However since Framework can make great things,then i'll be very glad to check what if they make a computer in format like Xbox series X with all parts upgradeble.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
It's a nice toy to play around,but i don't like laptops,because for me laptop = TRASH & vacuum cleaner too.
However since Framework can make great things,then i'll be very glad to check what if they make a computer in format like Xbox series X with all parts upgradeble.

You can put their mainboards into a 3D printed case. They provide the planes.

Roddybabes

I'd like to see a minimum of a 16GB AMD GPU option, I'm already running out of VRAM with my RX 6800 on my desktop @ 1440p. That being said this looks fantastic. I looked up the specs on the 780M and TPU suggests that it's just a little less powerful than my old RX 290X so it should game at moderate settings @ 1080p with the base APU configuration. The prices for the RAM and SSDs is a bit steep though they make it clear that you can bring your own. It would be desirable to have RAID between the two NVMe drives though I never do more than presentations for clients in regards to work on laptops.

The keyboard has a full right shift key and the guy in the video demonstrated (poorly) that the keyboard is LED-backlit which is really important if using a laptop in a darker area. They still have the FN key in the wrong position, it should be to the right of the Meta ("Windows") key but whatever.

He didn't give much attention to the ports though there was enough to realize that all of the connectors convert to USB C. Being able to chuck a bad USB port would be highly desirable as they seem to die on laptops at a somewhat alarming rate. I'm very interested in getting one of these maybe in the next few months.
You don't need specific support from Framework to run RAID on this particular laptop. Microsoft has its own software RAID called Storage Spaces. Puget Systems did a write up to show how to set this up and Microsoft has a page on this as well - see links below. The Puget link is specific to Windows 10, the Microsoft link covers both Windows 10 & 11.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
That is a solid possibility. The parts being used should have very good Linux support. BSD, not 100% on that aspect, but maybe?

Framework has their own forum. I should really register and post some pre-sales questions.

The usable BIOS for the AMD 13" is brand new, so people should currently be exploring.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
You know you can pretty much do this on your own, right?