• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Instinct MI300X Could Become Company's Fastest Product to Rake $1 Billion in Sales

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD in its post Q3-2023 financial results call stated that it expects the Instinct MI300X accelerator to be the fastest product in AMD history to rake in $1 billion in sales. This would be the time it took for a product in its lifecycle to register $1 billion in sales. With the MI300 series, the company hopes to finally break into the AI-driven HPC accelerator market that's dominated by NVIDIA, and at scale. This growth is attributable to two distinct factors. The first of which is that NVIDIA is supply bottlenecked, and customers and looking for alternatives, and finally found a suitable one with the MI300 series; and the second is that with the MI300 series, AMD has finally ironed out the software ecosystem backing the hardware that looks incredible on paper.

It's also worth noting here, that AMD is rumored to be sacrificing its market presence in the enthusiast-class gaming GPU segment with its next-generation, with the goal of maximizing its foundry allocation for HPC accelerators such as the MI300X. HPC accelerators are a significantly higher margin class of products than gaming GPUs such as the Radeon RX 7900 XTX. The RX 7900 XTX and its refresh under the RX 7950 series, are not expected to have a successor in the RDNA4 generation. "We now expect datacenter GPU revenue to be approximately $400 million in the fourth quarter and exceed $2 billion in 2024 as revenue ramps throughout the year," said Dr. Lisa Su, CEO AMD, at the company's earnings call with analysts and investors. "This growth would make MI300 the fastest product to ramp to $1 billion in sales in AMD history."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
They aren't sacrificing much presently.

mclarenfanN7

Those are bold claims. Can't say with much confidence that's from a diverse set of clients. More likely down to a few clients of likes of National labs ordering by contract for a SuperComputer.

CUDA is really entrenched in Universities especially in the US, it is even part of the curriculum in some Unis for their undergrads/grads. These future professionals once graduated they take that CUDA mindset to their workplaces. If at all they get into steering roles they will push Nvidia ecosystem. Then when those people hire the next group of engineers, these seniors will be looking for CUDA experience. That's not brand loyality its just prefefnece for familarity.

AMD wont make much head way even with relatively cheaper hardware when their University drives are next to nothing. Professors who asked their postdocs to go with AMD did so only becuase the grants were limited for their work.

Then there is an imminent reality this AI bubble will be burst by startups and other companies putting out specialized ASICs that handle training and inferencing much quicker and far more efficientlty. Inferenecing on analog designs is already a thing and vastly more efficient.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Exactly why I'm going Nvidia next round for the extremist level 5090TI Extra Super!

I'm not a native English speaker, what is the significance of stating so many times in an article this is "fastest product in AMD history to rake in $1 billion in sales" - if it's the only product that will presumably reach $1 billion in sales?

In our country you could jokingly say you reached $1 billion in sales three times - first time, last time and the only time!

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
It's also worth noting here, that AMD is rumored to be sacrificing its market presence in the enthusiast-class gaming GPU segment with its next-generation, with the goal of maximizing its foundry allocation for HPC accelerators such as the MI300X.

Nothing more than a normal business day in business world ...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I'm really starting to regret not buying that RTX 4090 my IRL friend offered me for $1150. He was just trying to help me out and I should have said yes. FML

I forgot gpu's are on a 5 year cycle now, whether it be crypto, AI, and next up WW3 supply chain issues. Technically WW3 is already here, its just in the form of trade wars and Cold War style skirmishes.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
I'm not a native English speaker, what is the significance of stating so many times in an article this is "fastest product in AMD history to rake in $1 billion in sales" - if it's the only product that will presumably reach $1 billion in sales?

In our country you could jokingly say you reached $1 billion in sales three times - first time, last time and the only time!
Pretty sure it means that AMD will reach 1b in sales with it faster than with any other product, it's just worded strangely.

Pretty sure it means that AMD will reach 1b in sales with it faster than with any other product, it's just worded strangely.

But they haven't reached 1b in sales with single product before, and even this one is just expected to reach 1b. And if it's overall revenue we're talking about - they rake in 5 billion dollars quarterly, and nobody really cares about the timeline when the deals are made and paid, so it would be a strange thing to single out the fastest time to the fifth of overall revenue?

Um, yeah. 3 tweets by 3 random people on the internet from 3 months ago confirms AMD has changed....nothing. I can't believe how easy it is to state a complete rumor as fact theses days.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Processor Ryzen 5600x
Memory Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XT
Storage SN850x
Display(s) Gigabyte M32U - LG UltraGear+ 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Mini
Power Supply Corsair RM650x (2021)
Those are bold claims. Can't say with much confidence that's from a diverse set of clients. More likely down to a few clients of likes of National labs ordering by contract for a SuperComputer.
Read the latest semianalysis article on MI300. The free tier namedrops way more than just "a few clients".

Also the CUDA meme is irrelevant. HIP is basically a slightly higher level but functionally identical copy of CUDA. ROCm is also not that different. And besides, a lot of the workload will be using nothing else than PyTorch.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ugh. AI is the new ETH mining fad for the industry.
I'm preparing for a repeat of the 2019-2021 GPU crisis.

I can't help but think that the new AI trend is another bubble for GPU manufacturers. Once it crashes they'll be scrambling for customers again, or worse yet those AI programs will help corporations develope their own chips for their needs and cut the legacy companies out.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Never gonna happen. There are WAY to many ASICs dedicated to AI and DeepLearning. GPU's are a less than great choice for such tasks.
Then why are they flying off the shelves?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Never gonna happen. There are WAY to many ASICs dedicated to AI and DeepLearning. GPU's are a less than great choice for such tasks.
It's already happening, and it's going to get worse because this bubble is still growing

If it wasn't going to happen, why are both AMD and Nvidia switching their GPU focus to AI features, why are consumer products being sidelined to use their premium TSMC allocation on AI compute GPGPUs for the datacenter?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

CUDA is really entrenched in Universities especially in the US, it is even part of the curriculum in some Unis for their undergrads/grads. These future professionals once graduated they take that CUDA mindset to their workplaces. If at all they get into steering roles they will push Nvidia ecosystem. Then when those people hire the next group of engineers, these seniors will be looking for CUDA experience. That's not brand loyality its just prefefnece for familarity.

AMD wont make much head way even with relatively cheaper hardware when their University drives are next to nothing. Professors who asked their postdocs to go with AMD did so only becuase the grants were limited for their work.

Then there is an imminent reality this AI bubble will be burst by startups and other companies putting out specialized ASICs that handle training and inferencing much quicker and far more efficientlty. Inferenecing on analog designs is already a thing and vastly more efficient.

AMD have been investing heavily in it's own foundation. You can run CUDA code pretty performantly on AMD cards nowadays via AMD's ROCm HIP, which is designed specifically for that job. AMD is not dumb, they know they are not going to get people to stop programming in CUDA overnight.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
This is not a matter of that the GPU is "less great" or AI but that INSTEAD of making gaming GPU they use their fab quota to make those profitable AI ASICs and enterprise GPUs

End result is the same: not enough gaming GPU for you and what's trickled will be overpriced at whatever the hell la-la magic pricing they want.

It's the same as the crypto craze and pandemic sleaze but worse as they're now issues dictated by the manufacturer themselves and their bottomless greed.

i hope this stupid AI bubble bursts soon.

Then why are they flying off the shelves?
They're not.

It's already happening
Then why have prices gone down in the last few months?

If it wasn't going to happen, why are both AMD and Nvidia switching their GPU focus to AI features, why are consumer products being sidelined to use their premium TSMC allocation on AI compute GPGPUs for the datacenter?
I'm not commenting on those points or getting into that debate.

This is not a matter of that the GPU is "less great" or AI but that INSTEAD of making gaming GPU they use their fab quota to make those profitable AI ASICs and enterprise GPUs

End result is the same: not enough gaming GPU for you and what's trickled will be overpriced at whatever the hell la-la magic pricing they want.

It's the same as the crypto craze and pandemic sleaze but worse as they're now issues dictated by the manufacturer themselves and their bottomless greed.

i hope this stupid AI bubble bursts soon.
Except that prices have gone down, not up.

Seriously with this nonsense?

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
it's not nonsense, it's sense, and prices will go up.
Even with our "prices have gone down" GPU are still savagely overpriced, if you overprice something 300%, and then lower it to 250%, yes prices went down but they're still overpriced.

It's also what they have said, allocation will go to profiteering, not gamer gpus

But they haven't reached 1b in sales with single product before, and even this one is just expected to reach 1b. And if it's overall revenue we're talking about - they rake in 5 billion dollars quarterly, and nobody really cares about the timeline when the deals are made and paid, so it would be a strange thing to single out the fastest time to the fifth of overall revenue?
Are you sure they have not had a product reach one billion? While AMD may not be as big as some of their competitors, they are not a small mom and pop operation with a market cap of 175b.

I'll admit, I am not an investor and know little of AMD, but I'd bet they have had several products reach 1 billon in sales over the life of the product. If I had to bet I'd say the 580 sold 1 billon. That was a hugely popular card for gaming and mining and it sold for a long run.

Are you sure they have not had a product reach one billion? While AMD may not be as big as some of their competitors, they are not a small mom and pop operation with a market cap of 175b.

I'll admit, I am not an investor and know little of AMD, but I'd bet they have had several products reach 1 billon in sales over the life of the product. If I had to bet I'd say the 580 sold 1 billon. That was a hugely popular card for gaming and mining and it sold for a long run.
This isn't claiming the first but rather the "fastest" to $1B. The 580 @ $200 needs to sell 5M units. The MI300X at $36k needs to sell 28k units. The largest supercomputer has >36k MI250X chips. MI300X is likely to sell like hotcakes for AMD.