• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mod Unlocks FSR 3 Fluid Motion Frames on Older NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20/30 Series Cards

Let's not exaggerate; I don't believe that any of these companies are paragons of virtue. However, Apple, Intel, and Nvidia are unarguably worse than AMD when it comes to anti-competitive tactics. As far as Alchemist's lackluster performance is concerned, it has nothing to do with drivers or the 4090 being top dog. By now, they have had well over a year to work on their drivers and they are much improved. Let's compare two GPUs built using the same process: the A770 and the RX 7600. The A770 has a die size of 406 mm^2 while the RX 7600 is only 204 mm^2. The A770 is almost twice the size of the latter, but it struggles to distinguish itself even in newer games. Overall, in TechPowerUp's latest reviews of GPUs with comparable performance, the A770 has lower average fps than the 7600 at 1080p. This is despite using 50% more power to render. Unlike AMD's Vega or RDNA 1, Intel didn't suffer from a lack of resources when they were designing Alchemist. The A770 clocks only a little lower than the 7600. Contrast this with AMD where RDNA 2 clocks much higher than RDNA 1. Given that instruction latencies stayed unchanged between RDNA 1 and RDNA 2, this suggests a lack of resources. Given all this, It would be a minor miracle if Battlemage managed to match the 4070.

I believe we have gone off on tangent. As far as this mod is concerned, it is good that owners of cards based on Ampere and Turing can experiment with frame generation and make up their own minds about its usefulness. It is also another example of why some people prefer AMD to Nvidia.

I would say that a possible reason for AMD not being in that position is that they have never had the market share to try. If they were the dominate platform and could, they probably would.

As for the Intel subject that is just the cherry picking of information. The A770 is not and has not been the card of best value by Intel, that would be the A750. Which has most of the A770 performance with a reduced cost. As seen in this chart in the review of the A580 for performance per dollar (which is an actual important metric) it appears the A750 is in a 24% lead at 1080P, 16% at 1440P, and 23% at 4K when compared to the 7600. The drivers are still being much improved, in fact from this article on TPU dated 01/24/24 certain DX11 games got a +268% performance increase, I would say there is still more headroom for gains.

I can understand when cost is a concern, however you seem to be focusing on efficiency and die size which really does not affect most people in any meaningful way.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
I would say that a possible reason for AMD not being in that position is that they have never had the market share to try. If they were the dominate platform and could, they probably would.

As for the Intel subject that is just the cherry picking of information. The A770 is not and has not been the card of best value by Intel, that would be the A750. Which has most of the A770 performance with a reduced cost. As seen in this chart in the review of the A580 for performance per dollar (which is an actual important metric) it appears the A750 is in a 24% lead at 1080P, 16% at 1440P, and 23% at 4K when compared to the 7600. The drivers are still being much improved, in fact from this article on TPU dated 01/24/24 certain DX11 games got a +268% performance increase, I would say there is still more headroom for gains.

I can understand when cost is a concern, however you seem to be focusing on efficiency and die size which really does not affect most people in any meaningful way.
You have a point about AMD never being in a position to abuse their position. I'll note that Nvidia, at least, has been unscrupulous even when they were nowhere near as dominant as today.

I'm only discussing the technical merits of the A770. For that purpose, lower performance products like the A750 are irrelevant. I agree that drivers have improved a lot, but the examples I linked to included games where Intel does well, e.g. CyberPunk. Knowing how well the A770 does, we can make a reasonable estimate of Battlemage performance. Getting to the 4070 would require a 60% performance increase over the A770 which is greater than the difference between the 3090 TI and the 4090 in TechPowerUp's reviews. One saving grace for Intel is their good ray tracing performance so if they managed to match a 4070 in rasterization, they would probably match it in ray tracing too which would be a pretty good position to be in.

None of this has any bearing on this topic so let's leave it to PMs if you want to discuss it further.

Remember when AMD's stock price was $2 and Intel was giving away billions of dollars to OEMs to not use AMD products? I sure remember when Zen 1 launched and motherboard manufacturers only released motherboards because of obligations and on those motherboards wasn't sufficient storage required for compatibility because no one believed AMD would still be in business let alone support the same CPU socket for almost a decade. Maybe consider the glass house you're standing in before blindly throwing bricks.
Speculation at the door of the block. Don't forget that both companies are from the USA, where the penalties are in the order of billions.
AMD shares were low because they offered nothing. Neither Intel nor nVidia launched Bulldozer or Vega.
However, you didn't understand. AMD, Intel, nVidia, Apple ... American companies. Pure capitalism. All of them, when they have no competition, take seven skins from the buyer because the shareholder is their God. In the first year after the launch of the superb Zen 3, AMD released only 4 processors on the market, none under $300, nothing non-X. Intel remained frozen in 4 cores while AMD was playing for amateurs, Apple doubles the price just for an apple painted on products and nVidia offers exactly as much as it needs and not as much as it can.
You should still be glad that there is fierce competition. At least here, the products of the two companies, be it processors or video cards, are now sold at a lower price than at launch. It's no small thing when inflation is Batman.