• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KillerNIC to Get Hardware-Accelerated VoIP

JacKz5o

Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard XFX nForce 780i
Cooling Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped)
Memory 4GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ
Video Card(s) eVGA GeForce 9800GTX
Storage 640GB + 250GB + 2x500GB (external)
Display(s) Samsung 216BW 21.6"
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Bigfoot Networks have announced that they are planning a joint development program which will bring hardware-accelerated voice communication to the KillerNIC network interface card. This solution would move all of the client-side processing to the KillerNIC and reduce network load and performance impacts to an absolute minimum. DiamondWare technology enables HD positional and proximity-based 3D voice in games and can create a spatial positioning of each player/voice in a game. According to DiamondWare, this leads to an even more immersive 3D multi-player voice experience.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If spatial positioning works well, this will be very cool!

JoJoe

System Name J64
Processor AMD Athlon 7750BE @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock AOd790GX/128M
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Memory 4Gb Wintec DDR2-800 (4x1Gb)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 4830
Storage 2 X 320GB Seagate in RAID 0
Display(s) 19" LG Flatron
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro
Power Supply 600w Seasonic M12
Software Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit
Cool, can't wait.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I thought it was a waste of time and the only feature for that worthless card....until I read the 3rd sentence. That's pretty damn sweet.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I really dont understand this so im gonna break it down. please feel free to step in & add your views or correct me if im wrong.

Bigfoot Networks have announced that they are planning a joint development program which will bring hardware-accelerated voice communication to the KillerNIC network interface card. This solution would move all of the client-side processing to the KillerNIC and reduce network load and performance impacts to an absolute minimum. DiamondWare technology enables HD positional and proximity-based 3D voice in games and can create a spatial positioning of each player/voice in a game. According to DiamondWare, this leads to an even more immersive 3D multi-player voice experience.

Ok...so this will bring hardware acelerated voice communication which i think will have conflicts with other audio hardware because remember, this is a network card not a sound card
& even when you chat anyway your ping doesnt sky rocket THAT much to cause any sort of deterioration of your gaming experience unless your running with a really really low bandwidth connection like 56k or using up a ton of bandwidth on bittorent

with the HD Positional & Proximity-based 3d voice in games firstly for those of you who are in clans or for the MMORPG folk 'guilds you will be familiar with Ventrillo (or Teamspeak for that matter but TS doesnt have that many options like Ventrillo) you will see that your able to add sourround sound effects to your incoming voice coms. e.g if you have a surround sound speaker set up you can set it up where the ventrillo will spread incoming chat traffic to all/most speakers. I know that this is only a software implementation but it still achieves the same with wihout having to buy this network card. as for the HS spatial effects where it makes the players voices sound closer/farther/behind or to the left of you etc. I see yet again another clonflict that this network card is trying to be a soundcard again. the spartial effects would alsp be down to program integration with the hardware e.g COD2/COD4 or CS:S that all have their own Voip function. even tho hearing voices from all directions around may sound cool but really its a bit of a waste of time. who will buy this network card just for that??

are you supposed to plug in your audiocables into this thing or something??

Last edited:
System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
FreedomEclipse pretty much said it all for me. Sounds like another stupid gimmick to sell a $150 nic.

Oh yeah, it helps if you read, apparently this thing has a 400Mhz "network processing unit", that's cool, I guess. And you can run your firewall on it somehow, instead of using your CPU. I guess the card itself could help out if your into being a millisecond above the competition, and hey, some people are, good for them. Crap, if I won the lottery I would probably buy one, right along with a Core 2 Extreme. But, yeah until then, I'll just wrap my nic in aluminum foil and pretend.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U