• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online Shoppers Ignore Advertising; Trust Customer Reviews

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
For the past several years, advertisers have been trying to get new customers by throwing advertisements of their products in their faces. They do this by way of pop-ups, vibrant banners, in-line text, and other crazy methods. A recent survey proposes that customers listen to almost none of that. In fact, most customers were more likely to avoid a product if the advertisement annoyed them. Instead, what really gets consumers to buy a product is positive customer reviews, forums, blogs, and other forms of product recommendations on a more personal level. As if in support of this, other studies conclude that offline influences of purchases are, in order from most to least influential, the recommendation of a friend, magazine/newspaper editorials, salespersons advice, press advertising and clever TV advertising.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
so why am i seeing ads like this:

"Related products: Diamond Multimedia Viper RADEON HD 2900 XT, (1 GB) Graphic Card"

"Related products: PNY GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)"

on every post that will redirect me to other websites ????????????

i thought TPU was supposed to be spam free???

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
Newegg.com has been posting customer reviews on all their products for a long time, and that was one reason I was attracted to them... the other reason was their great prices! :)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If a manufacturer or retailer has a good product or service they will get more revenue dollars from the people recommending their products or services in these threads than they will see from a few obnoxious ads stuffed in our faces.

Seems kind of prophetic that I just posted the above in the "Forum Ads" thread. :D

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
I actually dont see any ads on the forums on my desktop, probably because of the way I have firefox configured to block all the ads from sites I dont allow. I allow ads on TPU and other tech sites except those stupid intelitxt ads. I believe in supporting sites, and I'll even click on the ads every now and again just to give the sites some extra hits, but annoying ads get blocked.

I generally ignore ads because most of the sites you come across just feel shady, they are often poorly made, covered in ads, and any decent prices are overshadowed by shipping costs two or three times what big names like newegg charge. If its a site created through the yahoo shopping engine, such as xoxide.com, sharkacomputers.com, svc.com, etc then I am more willing to buy from them because I know the website wont just disappear over night. I do trust advertising through certain sources though. If a site sends TPU an item for free to review, and the item is worth buying, I have no problem buying it through the site that sent you the item. After all thats why they do this sort of thing. But thats only worth noting up to a point, high dollar items, I'll look towards places like newegg because I like dealing with their policy, returns, support, etc.

I do trust experience of customers over the words of a paid advertiser, much like I would expect anyone else to do the same. If you know someone who bought an item and either loves the item or the place he bought it, I'll take that into consideration, but I will shop around to see who has the best prices and shipping options.

I ignore or block ads on sites because its gotten to the point where its just stupid. Long gone are the days of a simple image banner with an embedded link, now we all have to deal with stupid flash banners and text embedded ads (I hate intelitxt!) which do nothing to win me over. Flash ads make my mobile browsing a nightmare because on my N770 I cant block flash ads, they are always there and that makes sites load much slower on such a limited device. And the text embedded ads just start to confuse things when your actually looking for a proper link in the text and have to deal with the ads taking to places you don't want to go, or worse yet if your the type of person who uses their mouse cursor to trace line by line while reading and article, you end up getting frustrated because of the links popping up windows for you.

I have no problems with image banner ads or text based ads (like googles) but beyond that I would agree that the flash or intelitxt type ads are likely to drive my business away.

3991vhtes

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS A8V-VM SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Video Card(s) DiamondViper Radeon X1650PRO 512MB PCI-e
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) Acer AL2002W 20" LCD Widescreen
Case cheap
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 4.1 Vista index
The funny thing is, the news post says people avoid ad's, but there's ad's here :roll:

F-22

Good! Because ads are F*king annoying!!! Especially the new ones after the first post on these forums...

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Yo W1z you paying attention? J/K (please don't ban me :respect:)

No really, it's true, I would rather read a customer review than see some crap that the company paid for.

spootity1

i pretty much work like that, the isp i work for has a ton of pissed customers.
im always recommending hardware i"ve used before, our touting the egg from time to time.

on another thought of the same line, my line of work has shown me a few things, when someone calls into a tech support center, and is looking to upgrade a bit, or get a new computer, they almost always ask for my recommendation.
now, the smart company seeing this could exploit it i think that would be more effective than adds. my two cents on that :-D

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
newegg user reviews are great for products that don't have reviews yet, or at all. Bad thing is just that not all products that are sold here are sold in US and vice versa.

Then there are some products like 8800GT that has soooo many reviews & user reviews that I'd almost rather see some add about it ny now :p (well mostly just "in stock" would be enough to most people to buy.

Make a great product and you don't need advertising, there's a lesson to be learned for every manufacturer :)

Woah Mama!

Processor AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Toledo (2.0ghz for now) (Looking for Opty)
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 NT + 6 120mm Zalman ZM-F3GL case fans through Zalman ZM-MFC1
Memory 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 + 2 GB for spare (Or Vista)!
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GTS 320MB
Storage 2x Western Digital 320GB 16MB Cache SATAII Raid 0
Display(s) 17" Philips 107S6E CRT (226BW early `08)
Case CoolerMaster Centurion 534 with upcoming modifications
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster Audigy
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 550W (Soon to be ToughPower 750W)
Software Windows XP SP2
I see no ads here. I know there are some forums that have the adbot in them which underlines manufacturers names and comes up with a load of jibber jabber.....

Wow, according to my UK English Firefox, jabber is a proper word. It says Firefox is spelt incorrectly though :roll:

You still need a way to get the product out there. It could be the best product ever made but if nobody knows about it, then it doesn't do the manufacturer any good. Word of mouth isn't exactly the fastest when it comes to getting a product out there as compared to advertising.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Yo W1z you paying attention? J/K (please don't ban me :respect:)

No really, it's true, I would rather read a customer review than see some crap that the company paid for.

Lol :laugh:

Would you rather it be:
Related products: PNY GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)

Review by: IPWNNUBS WITH THIS CARD
Amount Used: 1 week to 1 year

Pros: This card is the r0xx0rs!! Stable temps, easy setup, I LOVE PNY!!!

Cons: It doesn't have a gig of memory, but who cares this is overkill!

Overall: Awesome card, must buy, you must buy now. DO IT.

Click here to buy at ZipZoomFly.com.
:laugh:

It's really all the same... Advertisements are pure crap and so are customer testimonials. The best thing to go by as far as hardware goes is credited review sites and advice from people on techpowerup :D. As far as products go, most customers are just biased to that particular product brand, so they will always give the product good reviews no matter what. Sure there are some good reviews out there, but anyone who buys a product solely because of what they see in the customer testimonial section is stupid. :) As far as trusting customer reviews go, I would have to say take a teaspoon of what you read to your mind. When it comes down to, I'm the one purchasing the item so the only person I will trust is myself.
:toast:

Last edited:

OnBoard

Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
You still need a way to get the product out there. It could be the best product ever made but if nobody knows about it, then it doesn't do the manufacturer any good. Word of mouth isn't exactly the fastest when it comes to getting a product out there as compared to advertising.

Well word to writing in TPU forums is a quite a quick way. Then some copypaste to/from another forum and you're set :)

Well I guess by word of mouth I was referring more to face to face with a person. But if it's in a tech community a great product will get plenty of recognition and fast.

OnBoard

Yes, I got what you meant, that was just what I meant. I knew about 8800GT long before there were any available and didn't need any ads or e-tailer user reviews for that. Those leaked tests were enough that filled forums.

Sure we don't reach the average Joe here, so for the masses advertising is still needed. (if store shoppers that don't read internet can be said a bigger part of byers anymore)

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Lol :laugh:

Would you rather it be:

:laugh:

It's really all the same... Advertisements are pure crap and so are customer testimonials. The best thing to go by as far as hardware goes is credited review sites and advice from people on techpowerup :D. As far as products go, most customers are just biased to that particular product brand, so they will always give the product good reviews no matter what. Sure there are some good reviews out there, but anyone who buys a product solely because of what they see in the customer testimonial section is stupid. :) As far as trusting customer reviews go, I would have to say take a teaspoon of what you read to your mind. When it comes down to, I'm the one purchasing the item so the only person I will trust is myself.
:toast:
I love that "IPWNNUBSWITHTHISCARD" fake review :roll:.

But really, the point remains the same. If you were to put a customer review in as an advertisement, wouldn't they only choose the good reviews? Instant bias...would put shame to the customer review system.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I love that "IPWNNUBSWITHTHISCARD" fake review :roll:.

But really, the point remains the same. If you were to put a customer review in as an advertisement, wouldn't they only choose the good reviews? Instant bias...would put shame to the customer review system.

Advertisers already use customer "testimonials" in their ads.
It makes no difference what they do, advertisements are biased by nature.

I don't think you will ever see a "We suck, but buy one anyway" kind of honest ad :D

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Advertisers already use customer "testimonials" in their ads.
It makes no difference what they do, advertisements are biased by nature.

I don't think you will ever see a "We suck, but buy one anyway" kind of honest ad :D

Thats funny because I heard on the radio this morning during an advertisement the following:

Come get the new "such and such name" Police radar detector blocker it blocks up to 3 miles and if you get a speeding ticket within the next 90 days we will pay it for you, and then they say at the end of the advertisement "obviously we don't condone reckless driving" and they just leave it at that:roll::roll::roll:

3991vhtes

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS A8V-VM SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Video Card(s) DiamondViper Radeon X1650PRO 512MB PCI-e
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) Acer AL2002W 20" LCD Widescreen
Case cheap
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 4.1 Vista index
Good! Because ads are F*king annoying!!! Especially the new ones after the first post on these forums...

+1