• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Integrates AIM Into Gmail

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Google has integrated AOL's AIM instant-messaging service into its Gmail Web-based e-mail client, the company announced on Tuesday. Gmail has had its own chat service since February 2006, but now Gmail users will be able to connect to AIM through a drop-down menu on the Gmail Web page, Google said. Gmail users can sign into AIM through the "set status here" menu. AIM contacts and Gmail chat will appear on the same menu. Initially only English version of the AIM service will be available, with more languages to join soon.
We're always looking for new and useful ways to help our users connect with friends, family, and coworkers
Google said in a statement.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Namslas90

Great, time to cancel my G-Mail...don't need THAT "virus" infecting my PC...LOL

:toast:

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing...AIM and Google are easy ways to find viruses.

Nice avatar Nams. :respect:

hercules71185

System Name Thor
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8
Motherboard asrock z77 extreme 3 z77
Cooling corsair h60
Memory Kingston hyperx 8gb ddr3
Video Card(s) Nvidia gtx 680
Storage (2) 1 TB. WD caviar black in raid 0. 2TB caviar green for storage
Display(s) 65 inch 3d smart samsung tv. :)
Case thermaltake Nvidia element V
Audio Device(s) onboard THX 7.1
Power Supply 700 watt toughpower thermaltake
Software everything
Benchmark Scores 13,000 3dmark05 108,000 aquamark3 haven't did many since I upgraded these were with my 8600gt :)
skurd

people are still that scared of viruses? I've had IM since I was like 10 Well over 10 years at least. And nothing from that. Maybe Kazaa or Limewire. But never from an IM. If its people you know then you shouldn't have to worry much. Then again I've always made sure to buy a good anti virus since I hate installing windows

Namslas90

people are still that scared of viruses? I've had IM since I was like 10 Well over 10 years at least. And nothing from that. Maybe Kazaa or Limewire. But never from an IM. If its people you know then you shouldn't have to worry much. Then again I've always made sure to buy a good anti virus since I hate installing windows

No, what I ment is that "AIM" is a virus, any applications that takes over your PC and sucks up processsing cycles like it does, is a virus in my book. AIM/AOL even takes up cycles when you don't use it.

My PC's run just fine without AIM/AOL products installed. Faster start-up/shut down/surfing/gaming.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
its not so much as the AIM its more of the America Online internet service is whats a virus,tons of crap in there that you install without knowing it,AIM works fine for me never had a problem its just AOL(internet service) that gets me

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

Yes but AIM itself is an infection. AIM causes many games in Vista to randomly crash (I don't know why so don't ask just Google it). AIM also has viruses and spyware (embedded) that are wide spread. AIM is a huge bandwidth/memory hog. If you're going to use an instant messenger I recommend using iChat if you're a Mac user, or Pidgin if you're a Windows user.

legionaire45

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.2 ghz on water (motherboard cant go farther D=)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G965-DS3
Cooling Gemini Cool CPU block w/Apogee mounting bracket, Laing D4, 120 x 2 Rad.
Memory 4096MB Wintec AMPX DDR2-800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
Storage Seagate 7200.10 320GB
Display(s) Benq FP202W 20.1" 1680 x 1050 8ms
Case Thermaltake Armor (black, no side fan)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt
Software Windows Vista x64, 3DS Max 8 + 9, Photoshop 6 (xD)
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06: around 8.5K using a dieing install of Vista
AIM (the platform) itself isn't the issue, AOL's poorly programmed client is the problem. If you are having issues with AIM and Vista get Trillian or wait for google to integrate AIM support into Gtalk.

Google is not forcing you to use the AIM part of Gmail from now on either, you can choose whether to use it or not :rolleyes:.

Namslas90

AIM (the platform) itself isn't the issue, AOL's poorly programmed client is the problem. If you are having issues with AIM and Vista get Trillian or wait for google to integrate AIM support into Gtalk.

Google is not forcing you to use the AIM part of Gmail from now on either, you can choose whether to use it or not :rolleyes:.

Not forcing us to use AIM, but it's "Integrated" meaning it's there anyways. By-By G-mail...lol.

EDIT; BTW, AIM = AOL Inatant Mesanger whats the difference AOL IS AOL.

legionaire45

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.2 ghz on water (motherboard cant go farther D=)
Not forcing us to use AIM, but it's "Integrated" meaning it's there anyways. By-By G-mail...lol.

...meaning what? The AIM portion of GTalk will somehow take over your computer and install AOL's client while you aren't looking? Google doesn't have a pair of Chimps for programmers like AOL obviously does, so if anything the AIM part of it will be very good compared to AOL's official client. AIM's official client ate around 50 megabytes at most of memory on my Vista x64 box and right now Google Talk is using around 13. Hell, Trillian, GTalk, Xfire and Steam combined are using less memory then AOL's official client XD.

Whatever, your loss ;).

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
...meaning what? The AIM portion of GTalk will somehow take over your computer and install AOL's client while you aren't looking? Google doesn't have a pair of Chimps for programmers like AOL obviously does, so if anything the AIM part of it will be very good compared to AOL's official client. AIM's official client ate around 50 megabytes at most of memory on my Vista x64 box and right now Google Talk is using around 13. Hell, Trillian, GTalk, Xfire and Steam combined are using less memory then AOL's official client XD.

Whatever, your loss ;).

To consider not using AIM as a loss is absolutely ridiculous. AIM is literally the worst messenger out there. Trillian is good, but not as good as Pidgin. GTalk itself will just be another form of advertisement, which is all Google is.

Namslas90

Whatever, your loss ;).

I agree that Google has the best of the best. AIM is AOL, BY definition AIM IS AOL Instant Mesanger.
Therefore; Aim is AOL and AOL is nothing but a problem. Losing G-mMail is a small price to pay for not having AOL's AIM infiltrate my PC's again.

But hey, this is just my oponion and personal expierence dealing with AOL and its programs/processes.

You sound like you have some kind of insider info about Google, Well you wouldn't be the only one...LOL

Last edited:

legionaire45

To consider not using AIM as a loss is absolutely ridiculous. AIM is literally the worst messenger out there. Trillian is good, but not as good as Pidgin. GTalk itself will just be another form of advertisement, which is all Google is.
Well, I have to agree with you there, overall AIM is unreliable and can be frustratingly slow at times. I wouldn't say it is a total loss though, the client just needs to be reworked/recoded. Not that AOL really cares anyway, when people think of AIM they think of the standard client and not many people I know know that there are alternatives.

However, I have to disagree with you about GTalk. I have never had any issues with it myself and it's small footprint is nice. The UI is nice and simple and while yes, it doesn't have as many features or options I have never had it crash on me once since I started using it in 2006. That and it ran on my Nokia 770 without a hitch (well, before the wireless networking died anyway). [edit]The fact that they are adding on support for other clients as well shows that Google does care about the client/platform[/edit]

I agree that Google has the best of the best. AIM is AOL, BY definition AIM IS AOL Instant Mesanger.
Therefore; Aim is AOL and AOL is nothing but a problem. Losing G-mMail is a small price to pay for not having AOL's AIM infiltrate my PC again.

But hey, this is just my oponion and personal expierence dealing with AOL and its programs/processes.

You sound like you have some kind of insider info about Google, Well you wouldn't be the only one...LOL

Heh, I don't have any kind of insider info. I just pay lots of attention

Last edited:

hercules71185

System Name Thor
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8
Motherboard asrock z77 extreme 3 z77
Cooling corsair h60
Memory Kingston hyperx 8gb ddr3
Video Card(s) Nvidia gtx 680
Storage (2) 1 TB. WD caviar black in raid 0. 2TB caviar green for storage
Display(s) 65 inch 3d smart samsung tv. :)
Case thermaltake Nvidia element V
Audio Device(s) onboard THX 7.1
Power Supply 700 watt toughpower thermaltake
Software everything
Benchmark Scores 13,000 3dmark05 108,000 aquamark3 haven't did many since I upgraded these were with my 8600gt :)
I've used trillian for AIM for a VERY long time. I don't notice a slowdown. Doesn't mean there isn't one tho I guess.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Wow... thanks for ruining my day.:laugh:

Unless I missed something, show me where it says they are installing the AIM Client on your computer. :roll: :shadedshu: :slap:

Joe

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
about time someone said it, and your right nobody said anything about installing it on your computer. And aim being integrated into their web services is a pretty poor reason to quit gmail. First off, what are you doing browsing your email without an email client anyways. Second aim has been around a long time, and there is a plethora of third party software to utilize it's services. third if you think aim=aol your retarded, i use just regular old basic aim, i've never gotten a virus, the most i've ever had to do was to install the crack to removed the ads.
Forth, the client doesn't stop the virus(aol does not put viruses on your computer), virus scan and a secure computer stop viruses, the clients do the same thing the always have and they do it the same way but interfacing with the aim service just like aim.

So you see it's all really just speculation, aim is coded poorly yes, so use a different client or use something else altogether.
Gmail puts aim(which isn't even dled to the computer) in their webservices and everybody starts crying about gmail and how they're gonna leave gmail. I for one will be staying, yall are just complaining over nothing lol, use and email client no aim on the email client.

mike like bike

You guys might be on to something.... As soon as let Gmail chat logon to AIM for me... I got Symantec notification of virus "Bloodhound.unknown". Tried all sorts of ways to remove it, with no luck. Contacted Symantec and they said they have had many calls on this virus since yesterday afternoon (when the news of the integration hit the RSS feeds). Coincidence?

BTW, Bloodhound is not a confirmed virus. May just be a false positive in Symantec.