• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI May Be Considering Multi-Die GPUs for R700 Family

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
After being late to market with high-performance graphics offerings for a number of times, ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, is reportedly considering high-end graphics solutions that utilize more than two or, perhaps, even more physical dice. The method has been successfully utilized by Intel Corp., but will it be feasible for graphics processors too? ATI Radeon HD 2900 (R600) graphics chip, which contains about 700 million of transistors had power consumption of 160W, or even more, but still did not manage to demonstrate performance on par with Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, a solution that also demands high amount of power and is rather expensive to manufacture. But ATI Radeon HD 3800 (RV670) graphics processing unit, which is made using 55nm process technology, has the same amount of horsepower as R600, but is cheaper to build and consumes less amount of energy. While two of such ATI RV670 chips would still consume quite a lot of power, they will be able to offer performance and features that were not available before without necessity to develop a chip that would have about 1.3 billion of transistors, the amount of elements that would require very thin process technology - so that the GPU would stay cheap enough to manufacture - and quite a lot of time to design it and verify the lack of bugs.

It is projected that ATI Radeon HD 3800 X2 - graphics board running two ATI RV670 processors - will be announced at Consumer Electronics Show, or at another time early next year. While this graphics card will be the first multi-GPU consumer board developed by former ATI Technologies in years, it seems that multi-GPU is the future, at least when it comes to AMD's graphics product group (GPG). It is little known about products code-named ATI R700 today, but, according to an article at PC Watch web-site, the next generation of graphics solutions from AMD may utilize multi-chip module (MCM) concept instead of multi-chip GPU concept, at least, in the high-end. Even though both approaches have drawbacks compared to single-chip solutions, in case of homogeneous MCM some issues are easier to solve. Intel Corp., the world's largest maker of chips, puts two physical dice - each containing two processing engines - onto a single piece of substrate to create quad-core central processing units. This allows Intel to boost its yields, as monolith quad-core microprocessor would have larger size of the die and would be more expensive to manufacture, according to Intel. It is rumored that AMD's GPG may think the same way and cease to develop large GPUs, but concentrate on making smaller chips working efficiently together. But ATI/AMD MCM graphics solutions will not be similar to Intel's MCM CPUs. Instead of using an external bus to connect the two dice, a special chip-to-chip interface (or high-speed link) is expected to be used, which should improve their performance when they act together. Besides, it is reported that AMD's GPG will attempt to use shared memory on its multi-dice ATI R700 graphics solutions and rely on the link between GPUs to organize their access to each other's memory pools. The GPU dice are projected to be able to enter idle mode when their computing power is not needed, thus, preserving power consumption. At present graphics processors in multi-GPU configuration, or on a multi-chip graphics board, communicate using special multi-GPU interfaces - dubbed ATI CrossFire or Nvidia SLI - or via PCI Express bus. While the bandwidth of CrossFire and SLI is believed to be relatively low, the bandwidth of PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus is 8GB/s in each direction, still well below of graphics cards' memory bandwidth that can be over 100GB/s. However, chip-to-chip interfaces like Rambus' Flex IO can provide speeds of 76.8GB/s (32GB/s read and 44.8GB/s write) and beyond, therefore, the problem of chip to-chip interface can be solved. But an obvious problem with homogeneous multi-dice GPUs is that a high-end GPU consisting of two dice will nearly always be two times faster compared to a performance-mainstream GPU with one die. Of course, AMD GPG will still be able to sell lower-clocked two-dice GPUs, but is not obvious that such solution will be viable from financial standpoint. Therefore, with a large gap between the price and performance of single-chip and dual-chip products, it may be hard to form a comprehensive graphics card lineup that would cover all the price and performance segments. If AMD decides to install four homogeneous chips/dice on a high-end graphics card, three onto a performance-mainstream board, two on a mainstream solution and one will serve the low-end, then its driver team will have to spend a substantial amount of time tweaking each video game for single-, dual-, triple- and quad-GPU/dice graphics sub-system; a task that neither ATI, nor Nvidia have so far been truly successful in. Performance of all modern [homogeneous] multi-GPU solutions depends on drivers and in case the driver does not recognize an application, performance of a dual-, tripe- or quad-GPU graphics solution may be similar to a single-chip graphics card. Theoretically, ATI Catalyst driver developers may force so-called alternate frame rendering (AFR) multi-GPU rendering technology for all unknown applications for CrossFire configurations, but this may add lag effects in numerous games. While homogeneous graphics solutions have been widely discussed in the recent years, the first successful consumer 3D graphics accelerators as well as professional 3D boards for workstations until the recent years utilized heterogeneous multi-chip architecture, where all (or nearly all) the chips onboard had different functionality. Maybe, this is the way to go? Nowadays different units within a graphics processor have different memory bandwidth requirements, moreover, certain parts of the chips do not communicate with others. As a result, a heterogeneous multi-GPU, or heterogeneous multi-dice GPUs, may become feasible solutions against ultra-complex single-chip GPUs and triple-/quad-core homogeneous multi-GPU/multi-dice solutions. Unfortunately, heterogeneous multi-GPU/multi-dice GPU solutions will almost certainly not be viable for mainstream and entry-level graphics cards, where price matters quite a lot. Thus, ATI/AMD will have to develop single-chip solutions for segments of the market where price matters and create heterogeneous multi-chip/multi-dice graphics products for those, who demand ultimate performance. In both cases the gap between the price and performance of mainstream and high-end graphics sub-systems is likely to be fairly high. At the end, both homogeneous multi-GPU/multi-dice GPUa as well as heterogeneous multi-GPU/multi-dice GPUs have their advantages and disadvantages. So, maybe a single-chip high-performance graphics card has still a reason to live?

Officials for ATI, graphics product group of AMD, did not comment on the news-story.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
WOOOOOW... so after touting it's TRUE QUAD CORE for soooooo loooong AMD is now making Intel-esque (minus the bus) GPU's. Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em... no?

Always thought this was a great idea... hopefully it will work - I would ditch my 8800GT for a 3870x2 or x4 without blinking... i really like ATI IQ.

Last edited:

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
That is one giant ass wall of text...

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Nice, i always thought a true multi setup (as opposed to sli or crossfire style links) was more viable, hopefully it scales a lot better

and nice one polaris, good to see a long, more detailed article (personally i'd like to see more, though i imagine thats easier said than done, given the brief nature of most source articles/ press releases etc)

sam0t

Processor Intel C2D E8400
Motherboard Gigabyte P35C-DSR9
Cooling Noctua NH-U12F
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 Mushkin 6400+
Video Card(s) Asus 4850 + Accelero S1
Storage 250GB Hitachi SATA, 320GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA
Display(s) 22" HP w2207
Case Antec Solo
Audio Device(s) Integrated Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Seasonic 600W
Software XP SP2 + Ubuntu 7.10
Yeah tell me about it, I just needed to glance it and got the feeling "not going to read that". Anyways, multicore cards are welcome, If they manage to keep the power consumptation in deacent levels.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
ty pol, thats some news story. :toast:

do you think amd/ati can feel intel are also going to launch a real gpu and really put them between a big green rock and a hard place? :nutkick:

this is the future of gpu's and its only a matter of time before nvidia follow suit too, i just hope the all can get their drivers to work better for these than they do for xfire/sli. :banghead:

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
This has been publicly known for over a year.

System Name NOS
Processor Core Extreme QX6850
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling VANTEC STING RAY CPU Block, 3x120mm fan's with Radiator, Seltz 1200lt/h
Memory 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) PCI-express ATI Radeon HD2900XT 1GB DDR4 512bits
Storage 5 HD's 160GB SATAII Seagate ST3860815AS 7200.10
Display(s) LG 22'' model 22LS4R
Case 3Rsystem's R810 with mod's for watercooler system
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX II
Power Supply ULTRA X3 1000W modular PSU
Software WINXP PRO SP3 x86
They are very smart to develope a multi GPU with low cost and a small die manufacturer but the PPU was coming to VGA or no? i wana more realism for games , maybe whe can expect more from ATI in this part right ? :rockout:

System Name Suteki Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900 @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
Cooling Stock Box Cooler
Memory 32gb ( 2x16gb) 3600mhz DDR4 G.Skill 16-19-19-39-58
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Ram
Storage 256gb nvme SSD, 250GB SATA3 SSD, 480GB USB3 SSD, 750GB SSHD, 3TB WD Red HDD
Display(s) Asus VE220 / Epson TW-3000 1080p projector
Case Raijintek Thetis Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 PCI on a PCIe-to-PCI Adapter
Power Supply EVGA 550G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just hope this time the Multi-GPU thing really manages to emerge. Last time someone tried going Multi-GPU was with the Voodoo 5, and we all know what happaned with 3Dfx (damn the Hardware T&L; other than that the Voodoo 5 series were kick-ass :p)

I would expect AMD to make something like a "true dual core" GPU; something like the phenom. I hope AMD will make the card function just like a single card and NOT a card in crossfire. It would be extremely annoying if it was considered as two cards in crossfire.

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
This is such a better idea than X-fire/SLI.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
I just hope this time the Multi-GPU thing really manages to emerge. Last time someone tried going Multi-GPU was with the Voodoo 5, and we all know what happaned with 3Dfx (damn the Hardware T&L; other than that the Voodoo 5 series were kick-ass :p)

Hey, the Voodoo 5 -- my brother had one of those in his Macintosh, just sold it finally last year to some collector. I think he had to mortgage his house to get it back in the day.

Though, what do you mean about the last time someone tried a multi-gpu approach? What about the 7950GX2?

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
i want one now!
make it two :rockout: