• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo Wii or Sony PlayStation 3?

Which Console (Already have an Xbox 360)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
hey so the ps3 can record tv? using a distro or something? if so thats pretty impressive and I think thats pretty impressive.

Davidelmo, why would his buying of a ps3 be a waste of money? The best racing series ever is going to release a game for it in 2 days. also it is a computer and a gaming console in one with a nice blu-ray player that hes going to really make use of.

It would be nice if the ps3 can do dvr.

It can have Yellow Dog Linux and a few others too, I might try if it's worth it. And yeah, the Blu-Ray player is niice, I didn't expect much from it because I already watch movies in HD (HD DVR), but the sound is that much better too.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
what about recording tv? I heard they might be hving that on the ps3 soon? you hear any of that? cause that would make the ps3 an even better deal!!! so good I would be forced to buy one! lol

Right now I havent bought one yet because I just spent to much on the new computer Im building.. I would love to be able to play GT5 though.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
what about recording tv? I heard they might be hving that on the ps3 soon? you hear any of that? cause that would make the ps3 an even better deal!!! so good I would be forced to buy one! lol

Right now I havent bought one yet because I just spent to much on the new computer Im building.. I would love to be able to play GT5 though.

I've heard of something similar to it, not sure though on when/if it's coming out.

3991vhtes

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS A8V-VM SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB DDR400
Video Card(s) DiamondViper Radeon X1650PRO 512MB PCI-e
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) Acer AL2002W 20" LCD Widescreen
Case cheap
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster
Power Supply 500 watt
Software Vista Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 4.1 Vista index
Wii's are Wiitarded IMHO

They're not fun, and just plain boring.

Vincent11

System Name AMD-ARMOR
Processor AMD Athlon X2 6000+ @ 3.504GHz (FSB 292MHz - Multi 12)
Motherboard ASUS M2N E SLI with custom copper heatsink & fan 60mm
Cooling GIGABYTE GH-WIU02 3D Galaxy II Liquid Cooling Kit for CPU and 120mm fans times 3
Memory 2 times 1gig sticks (Kingston PC5300 running at 626MHz) Dual Channel
Video Card(s) ECS Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB at default clocks
Storage WD 320gb 7200rpm 16mb SATA
Display(s) ViewSonic VA1912w 19in widescreen 1440by900
Case SHAW-ARMOR
Audio Device(s) Chaintech 5.1 sound
Power Supply 500W Solytech, PSI
Software Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit
Benchmark Scores 3 trillion in futuremark 06
PS3 all the way man, that console rulez big time, awesome games on it and soon to be released games too in couple months and couple of years, next generation really mean PS3, it has the power to do alot of things not like the xbox360 even though its got power under its hood but to me xbox360 is like a computer that you dont have to worry about system requirements for not that im dissing it its just I have a decent comp and all PC games are going to xbox360 , but PS3 is truly next generation, just enjoy the cool games it has now and just give it acouple more years to truly get it started, oh yeah the Wii is pretty good too, I found it really fun, and it really depends on what type of gaming you do so yeah, cheers mate

okay i think halo was a bad choice its a good game but not that good, plus he has a 360 so i guess he already knows why its the best

tbh why own 3 consoles okay if your rich and can splash cash about for nothing but come on 3 consoles and you need to buy extra pads what if a game come out do you buy it for wii xbox or playstation ?

i dunno how rumble will work with motion sensing i mean it will shake the pad causing minor movements like when shooting or driving it could be crucial.

wii is a bit like a good ps2 it has some good games tho but imo just not worth the cash right now
id rather spend money on my pc but i have a console for games that i cant run or games that are suited for a console like driving sims like forza or 3rd person shooters that are harder to use on a keyboard mouse for me, other than that fps and strategy game defo on pc although some games like rainbow 6 vegas are good on 360

tbh im not a 360 fanboy i just look at things realistically and realistically its the best console out, really i think that people should just get a good pc and a good res monitor but its not my money

no you buy a console for games you buy a dvd player for dvd you buy a radio for radio you buy a pc for everything you dont see people buying a wii for media do you you dont see people buying a car to break the speed limit you dont

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
okay i think halo was a bad choice its a good game but not that good, plus he has a 360 so i guess he already knows why its the best

tbh why own 3 consoles okay if your rich and can splash cash about for nothing but come on 3 consoles and you need to buy extra pads what if a game come out do you buy it for wii xbox or playstation ?

i dunno how rumble will work with motion sensing i mean it will shake the pad causing minor movements like when shooting or driving it could be crucial.

wii is a bit like a good ps2 it has some good games tho but imo just not worth the cash right now
id rather spend money on my pc but i have a console for games that i cant run or games that are suited for a console like driving sims like forza or 3rd person shooters that are harder to use on a keyboard mouse for me, other than that fps and strategy game defo on pc although some games like rainbow 6 vegas are good on 360

tbh im not a 360 fanboy i just look at things realistically and realistically its the best console out, really i think that people should just get a good pc and a good res monitor but its not my money

no you buy a console for games you buy a dvd player for dvd you buy a radio for radio you buy a pc for everything you dont see people buying a wii for media do you you dont see people buying a car to break the speed limit you dont

Well, what I'm saying is I was going to buy a Blu-ray player anyways, so I just got a PS3. And I guess I'll be buying a Wii too :rockout: just to see how it is, and I always play with friends so it'll be fun.

Processor Intel C2D E6420 (3.2 gHz @ 1.365v)
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory 4 x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
Storage 200gb Maxtor SATA, 400gb WD SATA
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
It's nice to have one object handle everything though. It's probably just me but the 360 disgusts me. After owning one that failed after two days of use (it was pampered and wasn't abused at all), I went and promptly exchanged it for a PS3 and haven't regretted it since. The only exclusive that I really wanted to play was Halo 3 and *maybe* Forza, but with the lackluster quality of the console and its inability to keep up decent frames on the outdated 1080i mode (I have an older HDTV that only supported 1080i and Gears of War annoyingly lagged a bit) I saw no reason to try my luck again with another 360.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
It's nice to have one object handle everything though. It's probably just me but the 360 disgusts me. After owning one that failed after two days of use (it was pampered and wasn't abused at all), I went and promptly exchanged it for a PS3 and haven't regretted it since. The only exclusive that I really wanted to play was Halo 3 and *maybe* Forza, but with the lackluster quality of the console and its inability to keep up decent frames on the outdated 1080i mode (I have an older HDTV that only supported 1080i and Gears of War annoyingly lagged a bit) I saw no reason to try my luck again with another 360.

My 1080p in the living room has a delay (because it upconverts every source to 1080p), so I only watch Blu-Ray on that.

What sucks is that my 32" HDTV is only 1080i, and since I bought Resistance: FOM, it downgrades it to 480p, so I don't get to experience it in HD, which sucks.

Processor Intel C2D E6420 (3.2 gHz @ 1.365v)
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory 4 x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
Storage 200gb Maxtor SATA, 400gb WD SATA
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
R:FOM only plays up to 720p so if your TV doesn't support that the PS3 has no choice but to display it at 480p.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
R:FOM only plays up to 720p so if your TV doesn't support that the PS3 has no choice but to display it at 480p.

I know, I just said it sucks. I haven't looked at the other games the PS3 has (well I have, but not their resolution). I just hope they're at least 1080i.

Shizelbs

Processor Q6600
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
Cooling Intel
Memory 4 gigs of DDR800 - OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) BFG 8800GTS OC
Display(s) 245BW 24" Samsung
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy
Power Supply Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready Power Supply
Software Vista 64 bit
I would get the Wii (I have one) if you already have the 360 (got one of those too). The Wii is tons of fun and its got a totally different set of games.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
I would get the Wii (I have one) if you already have the 360 (got one of those too). The Wii is tons of fun and its got a totally different set of games.

I'm planning to pick on up if I find one in stock. All of the ones I see online are bundles...

Davidelmo

Processor Intel i7 920 @4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD5
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory 6Gb Patriot 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI HD4870 1Gb
Storage 2x250Gb Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0) plus 2B storage
Display(s) Samsung 22 inch Widescreen
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Auzen Prelude 7.1
Power Supply PCP&P 750W Silencer
Software Win7 beta
It's a pretty cheap Blu-Ray player, and I was going to get a stand-alone Blu-Ray player anyway no matter what, so it wasn't really a waste.

I just don't see why anyone would WANT a blu-ray player. People talk about bluray in the PS3 like it's a good thing, but I only see it as a massive negative.

Like it or not, it is an unproven format. So far it has served no advantage in terms of gaming (i.e. larger games, better textures/sounds etc) and most developers have even said that the PS3 is the hardest console to develop games for. Also, it adds a lot to the cost of the PS3 and the selection of movies isn't even that great.

They would have been better off doing a blu-ray add-on in the way that MS have done with HD-DVD. Then they could have sold the console much cheaper and wouldn't have such terrible sales figures. You know in the UK the PS3 with a couple games and an extra controller can still cost almost $900!

It's your money and you can do what you like, but IMO it is still a huge waste of money.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
I just don't see why anyone would WANT a blu-ray player. People talk about bluray in the PS3 like it's a good thing, but I only see it as a massive negative.

Like it or not, it is an unproven format. So far it has served no advantage in terms of gaming (i.e. larger games, better textures/sounds etc) and most developers have even said that the PS3 is the hardest console to develop games for. Also, it adds a lot to the cost of the PS3 and the selection of movies isn't even that great.

They would have been better off doing a blu-ray add-on in the way that MS have done with HD-DVD. Then they could have sold the console much cheaper and wouldn't have such terrible sales figures. You know in the UK the PS3 with a couple games and an extra controller can still cost almost $900!

It's your money and you can do what you like, but IMO it is still a huge waste of money.

IMO, a waste of money is something that you buy but don't use. The thing is, I actually use the PS3, quite a bit actually since I bought it a few days ago. I know what you mean by it's not a "proven" format, but I'd rather enjoy it now than wait for either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to pull out and win (which could take a while). The HD-DVD titles aren't that great either, Blu-Ray IMO (from the movies I like) has better titles.

Thanks for your opinion though...I like to see what other people think

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Well i have all three systems and if i could only pick one it would be the PS3. Lots of games and since the price drop it is well worth it. I got my PS3 when it was $600 but since i work at Target:( i got a %10 discount.:)

Davidelmo

Processor Intel i7 920 @4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD5
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory 6Gb Patriot 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI HD4870 1Gb
Storage 2x250Gb Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0) plus 2B storage
Display(s) Samsung 22 inch Widescreen
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Auzen Prelude 7.1
Power Supply PCP&P 750W Silencer
Software Win7 beta
IMO, a waste of money is something that you buy but don't use. The thing is, I actually use the PS3, quite a bit actually since I bought it a few days ago. I know what you mean by it's not a "proven" format, but I'd rather enjoy it now than wait for either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to pull out and win (which could take a while). The HD-DVD titles aren't that great either, Blu-Ray IMO (from the movies I like) has better titles.

Thanks for your opinion though...I like to see what other people think

Yup - if you're happy with it, that's what counts.

Me - I think I'll wait until cheap dual format players come out. All this bickering about the next HD format, and DVD's are STILL outselling them 9:1 :laugh:

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Yup - if you're happy with it, that's what counts.

Me - I think I'll wait until cheap dual format players come out. All this bickering about the next HD format, and DVD's are STILL outselling them 9:1 :laugh:

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's gonna take a while for HD (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) becomes a standard...

ktr

Believe it or not, ps3 can rip HD-DVD (with 360 attachment) quite fast while running in linux. Also, coders have found out how to access the RSX in linux. So it is possible to play blue-ray and hd-dvd (and rip) in linux.

splitter

What I think is that Wii is about more of fantasy play. like you can play it for real. But PS3 is all about sheer muscle power . So I would go in for a PS3.
maybe its just I am an ardent PS fan :)