• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet Explorer 8 Beta to be Released in First Half of 2008

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Microsoft has revealed that it is planning to release the initial beta of Internet Explorer 8 in the first half of next year. According to the developers, the new browser has passed the Acid2 Browser Test from the Web Standards Project, a test which both IE 7 and Firefox fail (although Opera passes). Microsoft is also focusing on making sure that IE 8 displays all current web pages correctly, an issue which plagued IE 7 during the first few months after its release. In his IE blog, one of Microsoft's general managers, Dean Hachamovitch, said the following:
The key goal is interoperability. As a developer, I'd prefer to not have to write the same site multiple times for different browsers. Standards are a (critical!) means to this end, and we focus on the standards that will help actual, real-world interoperability the most. As a consumer and a developer, I expect stuff to just work, and I also expect backwards compatibility. When I get a new version of my current browser, I expect all the sites that worked before will still work.
Microsoft has given no indication of when it expects to release the final version of IE 8, instead commenting that its launch date will depend upon the feedback received during the beta process.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
A new IE already?

I guess FF 3 would be timed for release then.

Yeah, even if Opera passes the A2 test, I don't see a translation of that into real-world rendering performance. Many websites even today, newer ones, don't render properly or have a garbled layout. As long as IE and FFx do a good job in the real world performance, I don't attach much importance to the A2 test.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Yeah, even if Opera passes the A2 test, I don't see a translation of that into real-world rendering performance. Many websites even today, newer ones, don't render properly or have a garbled layout. As long as IE and FFx do a good job in the real world performance, I don't attach much importance to the A2 test.
Do much web design? I do. Just the fact that the IE team is trying to meet some sort of standards test warms my heart. If I know that they're trying that hard to pass the A2 test, then I can be reasonably sure that they're trying to standardize the rest of their rendering engine as well, which would make my job a whole lot easier.

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 550 @3600MHz (VCore -0.05V)
Motherboard Gigabyte MA-780G-DS3H (AMD SB700), BIOS: 04/14/09
Cooling Scythe Samurai cooled by 2x Enermax Warp 80mm ~700 RPM
Memory 2x 1GB GeIL Ultra DDR2-800 @1066 CL4-5-5-15 2T
Video Card(s) MSI R4830 OC (HD4830)
Storage Samsung 400 GB S-ATA, WD 400GB S-ATA
Display(s) Samsung 2433BW 1920 x 1200 Pixel (16:10)
Case timeless office tower ;)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power BQT E7-400W
Software Windows XP Pro 32bit

Their explorer looks more and more like a sweeeeeet preschool learn software.
Plastic Fantastic...
Ugly!

I tried the A2 test with opera and it did do better than the other two. However, it failed as well, it came the closest but it did not render it properly either. (So much for the A2 test.) :slap:

Joe

Any improvement in IE web standards compliance is a BIG improvement. :toast:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Do much web design? I do. Just the fact that the IE team is trying to meet some sort of standards test warms my heart. If I know that they're trying that hard to pass the A2 test, then I can be reasonably sure that they're trying to standardize the rest of their rendering engine as well, which would make my job a whole lot easier.

Yeah but how many people use Opera on the grounds of its success with A2? IE7 lost to Firefox on the grounds of a lot of things Firefox won in. So now they're looking at "hey we passed the A2 finally!!!"

A lot of web-designers I personally know first make sure a Netscape Gecko based browser renders their work well and they are using Firefox (or Seamoneky/ any Gecko derivative) as their reference and not IE. Why? There's a growth in FF usage:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

So now MS just wants to catch the developers' eyes as we're open standards and we "meet" all the standards.

Don't worry....Gecko is getting a major makeover next year and Microsoft's A2 pass "yippie" card won't last long.

As far as features of IE 8 go, each of that can be aped by Firefox extensions. Which is why IE7 pro flunked.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah but how many people use Opera on the grounds of its success with A2? IE7 lost to Firefox on the grounds of a lot of things Firefox won in. So now they're looking at "hey we passed the A2 finally!!!"

A lot of web-designers I personally know first make sure a Netscape Gecko based browser renders their work well and they are using Firefox (or Seamoneky/ any Gecko derivative) as their reference and not IE. Why? There's a growth in FF usage:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

So now MS just wants to catch the developers' eyes as we're open standards and we "meet" all the standards.

Don't worry....Gecko is getting a major makeover next year and Microsoft's A2 pass "yippie" card won't last long.

As far as features of IE 8 go, each of that can be aped by Firefox extensions. Which is why IE7 pro flunked.

Oh, I agree with you, for the most part -- I use Firefox as my main browser and as my main design environment.

However, comparing this to Opera is like comparing apples and oranges -- nobody has to use Opera. Many web designers are forced to use IE (at least in the US) -- their work environments demand it through the use of exclusive support contracts.

As much as I like and use Firefox (and Opera, to a degree), the firm where I work couldn't care less about it -- IE compatibility is the first and foremost concern. And that's the way it's going to be for many years down the road.

(And remember to take W3Schools.com's browser statistics with a grain of salt -- they even say on their site that they're not indicative of the total browser market at all, being that their site is mainly visited by professionals and web designers. It sucks, but it's true.)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Oh, I agree with you, for the most part -- I use Firefox as my main browser and as my main design environment.

However, comparing this to Opera is like comparing apples and oranges -- nobody has to use Opera. Many web designers are forced to use IE (at least in the US) -- their work environments demand it through the use of exclusive support contracts.

As much as I like and use Firefox (and Opera, to a degree), the firm where I work couldn't care less about it -- IE compatibility is the first and foremost concern. And that's the way it's going to be for many years down the road.

(And remember to take W3Schools.com's browser statistics with a grain of salt -- they even say on their site that they're not indicative of the total browser market at all, being that their site is mainly visited by professionals and web designers. It sucks, but it's true.)

Gosh. Talk to your bosses. Firefox is the single most dominant browser ATM, beyond IE7 (but not beyond IE7 + IE6 combine) sure, but Firefox the the browser that you can find an odd FreeBSD guy as well as a bloatass mac guy using. It spans across every platform (even Opera does, but I don't want to get into comparing FFx and Opr)

Show them the W3Schools chart I linked you to. Study the growth-rate of FFx users. It's not a tough job (rather big deal) making your project IE compliant. Tough job (rather real man's job) is getting it to work silk-smooth with the most exotic layout engines like Gecko, Necko, K-HT (that drives Apple Safari and KDE Konqueror (A2 passed))

The more stubborn your bosses are, the more it's harmful to your company and the quality of its finished product.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Gosh. Talk to your bosses. Firefox is the single most dominant browser ATM, beyond IE7 (but not beyond IE7 + IE6 combine) sure, but Firefox the the browser that you can find an odd FreeBSD guy as well as a bloatass mac guy using. It spans across every platform (even Opera does, but I don't want to get into comparing FFx and Opr)

Show them the W3Schools chart I linked you to. Study the growth-rate of FFx users. It's not a tough job (rather big deal) making your project IE compliant. Tough job (rather real man's job) is getting it to work silk-smooth with the most exotic layout engines like Gecko, Necko, K-HT (that drives Apple Safari and KDE Konqueror (A2 passed))

The more stubborn your bosses are, the more it's harmful to your company and the quality of its finished product.

Okay, maybe you didn't hear me at first (or read, whatever) -- the W3School stats are hardly relevant. They say so on their own site. ;)

Secondly -- you think it's not a tough job making stuff IE-compliant? Try some extremely low-level DOM stuff. You'll be pulling your hair out by the end of the day. Microsoft's own documentation doesn't even know what it's talking about (like the infamous "getAttribute" documentation).

I'm talking about more than just making a site look good in IE -- I'm talking about making it work in a web application. It's a pain in the damn ass.

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4

Plastic Fantastic...
Ugly!

So 50 year olds that look at computers like radioactive bombs can figure it out. ^_^

I appreciate the web development, but Micro$oft can eat it as long as everything they do is closed source and flawed to hell.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it

Plastic Fantastic...
Ugly!

Where did you find that being the next Internet Explorer 8 version. I see no proof of it being from IE8:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu :shadedshu

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Where did you find that being the next Internet Explorer 8 version. I see no proof of it being from IE8:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu :shadedshu

Exactly what magic site u get that from?

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it
Exactly what magic site u get that from?

what?

look what he said after the picture it looks nothing like the previous IE versions including IE7 (at least not my version that came with my laptop

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
I was talking bout peach who origanilly posted sorry should of quoted him :(

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it