• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you in IT? If so how long? Do old people Suck?

How long have you been in IT, in years?

• Total voters

1Strive

System Name Back in Black
Processor AMD Opteron 180 @ 2.6GHz (Dual Core)
Motherboard Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling All Antec Case Fans (3-speed and Quiet as they come.)
Memory 2GB DDR440MHz (Corsair XMS LED Series) 1GB x2 [Dual-Channel]
Video Card(s) 8800GTS G92 512mb (eVGA-745/1000) 9474 in 3Dmark06 at Defaults.
Storage 2 WD 74GB Raptors in RAID Zero for Vista. WD 250GB for XP and Storage
Display(s) Acer 22' widescreen. 1680x1050 res / 5ms
Case Antec Black Server Chassis / Logitec G7 Wireless-Laser Mouse
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music w/ 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones
Power Supply Antec 500Watt ATX2.0 Modular
Software Vista Ultimate (64-bit) / Playing: Crysis in DX9 on XP @ 1680x1050 High with 30FPS
Benchmark Scores Over 9k in 3DMark06! That's better than 80% of all systems tested and logged according to 3Dmark's s
Poll and comments.

====================

The guy I work with has been in "IT" for 21 years and he and a doctor were saying how great it is to have spent that much time in computers and how he must know more than anyone about them. Also how lucky I am to have his knowledge past on and how he probally won't be able to retire because the "kids" won't be able to learn all that he knows and get the job done.

I tried to smile and nod my head while swallowing my tounge.

=================
The truth is 18-35 is the age the IT industry is built on. Anyone that has over 10 years experience should be force to call the overage professional experience, due to the fact that networks, hardware, and software as we know them today have only been around for that long.
Who cares if you rember DOS or IBM Personal Systems 2 486 CPU? Coax for networking?
I find these guys saying, follow me and when you are my age you can be me.
I am sorry, I already make more than you and know more about what is revalent today in IT. That doesn't mean I am a better team player or professional but it does mean I am better with the tech. And it is okay for us young guys to be better at it. You old guys have everything else, customer service, experince, the list goes on.

Just asking for people to give credit where credit is due and to stop acting like there is such a thing as 21 years experience in Information Technology when IT ain't been around (as it is now being utilized) for more than about 10-15.

Ring In on the Poll if you have worked in IT.

1STRIVE
7 years and in a Higher Tax bracket than you.

1Strive

Software Vista Ultimate (64-bit) / Playing: Crysis in DX9 on XP @ 1680x1050 High with 30FPS
Benchmark Scores Over 9k in 3DMark06! That's better than 80% of all systems tested and logged according to 3Dmark's s
Old people suck.

If you vote 15+ that is automatic in voting "Old People Suck".

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Enough time.

I could really make more, but money isn't everything, and you apparently have not learned that. So stuff your higher tax bracket :D

And we still have a couple I-O terminals with Twinax. So nah.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
How long has Bill Gates been in the IT:rolleyes:

It took him over 15 years to become......The wealthiest man??

Age has absolutely nothing to do with a person's credibility with the IT. My 52 yr old uncle working for the Electronics Corporation of India Ltd., can spot and replace burnt diodes from a TYAN motherboard, he plays CS:S with me and listens to SomaFM.com

1Strive

Not all old people suck. Just some.

As with any sweeping generalization, I make, I say it with humor and mean it as such. I am not really an age-ist. But I really can't stand Fat people. JK

And I live in a town where I make 10K less than my other 2 job offers in the bigger city 5 hours away. I live in this town because my wife of 6 years loves it here this is where my family and friends are and my son can go to a good school.

If you have a family and you aren't making all the $ you can (with-in reason) to give them the things they deserve, education and health care, security. Than maybe you aren't trying hard enough.

I know that my job is around 40 hours per week and every waking moment after that is spent with my wife and son or other loved ones. So No, Money isn't everyting. People are, to me. But money sure does help in certian ways.

Namslas90

1STRIVE
7 years and in a Higher Tax bracket than you.

I doubt that!!...LOL

I can Not Work, and make more than you - working a 70 hour week.

If you vote 15+ that is automatic in voting "Old People Suck".

If it wasn't for us "Old People", you would not have an IT career...:nutkick:
Remember..Old People got the whole thing started up and running!:slap:
If we didn't, than you would be the "Old People" you speak of in 10 years.:D
(and you will be anyways...LOL)

OLD PEOPLE ROCK :rockout: :toast:

Rob!

System Name iMac \\ Macbook
Processor Core2Duo 2.4GHz \\ Core Duo 1.83GHz
Memory 4GB DDR2-667 \\ 2GB DDR2-667
Video Card(s) Radeon HD2600 Mobile \\ Intel GMA950 :(
Storage 320GB \\ 120GB \\ 500GB backup
Display(s) 20" 16:10 \\ 13.3" 16:10
Case Aluminum iMac \\ white Macbook
Software OSX 10.5 \\ OSX 10.5 & Windows XP Pro
I was going to go to school for network engineering, and from self-taught knowledge I started a little IT "business" working on peoples' computers. I then realized IT sucks ass and changed schools and my major. I still build computers for people but I'm no longer a "tech."

The IT industry as a whole moves so damn fast and seems like it would be near impossible to keep up. Old knowledge is cool, yes, but how often do you use technology older than 5 years? Rarely. And chances are it's cheaper to buy new than to fix something that old.

So you guys that do IT, do you work in, say, a large business doing general tech stuff, or work for something like a computer repair shop? I've always considered both to be kinda IT.

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
sorry but I must add:

Nice ass Rob!

on topic:
you couldn't pay me 2x what I make now to work in IT. All the IT guys where I work are useless, old and young.

1Strive

The Old guys? Yes, thank you for building the Tech. We'll take it form here.

I was going to go to school for network engineering, and from self-taught knowledge I started a little IT "business" working on peoples' computers. I then realized IT sucks ass and changed schools and my major. I still build computers for people but I'm no longer a "tech."

The IT industry as a whole moves so damn fast and seems like it would be near impossible to keep up. Old knowledge is cool, yes, but how often do you use technology older than 5 years? Rarely. And chances are it's cheaper to buy new than to fix something that old.

So you guys that do IT, do you work in, say, a large business doing general tech stuff, or work for something like a computer repair shop? I've always considered both to be kinda IT.

I just got out of the USAF worked in communications. (e-mail, networking, microsoft servers.)

Now I deal with the following on a daily basis.
Windows Server 2003, MS Active Directory, DNS, MS Clustering, SAN, NAS, Cisco Routers and swtiches, Hardware IBM and Dell, VPN into Remote Sites for remote Admin, Work from Home, write scripts. I am certifed by Microsoft, Dell, FujiFilm, and the FDA. I do IT work for my company for Hospitals Digital Imaging systems.

And yes it does pay well, and yes I do make more than the 50 year old I work with but he doen't know that. And I do like and respect him. I just don't like being talked down to. If 1/8 of the men in this country had done 1/2 as much as any Vet then we would be in 100% better shape than we are in now.

I may have to leave in a minute and drive my company car to the gas station to fill up (file that with the expense report.) Oh and I need to call the travel agency to book my flight to NY next month.

No I don't make more than everyone here.

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator

Did the IT part suck, or was it dealing with the "other people"?

Not true. Besides the basic LAN network, I also have to make sure things like an old CNC mill running Windows 3.1 can communicate with the servers. Or a proprietary machine that only runs Win98, etc. etc. Many times it is cheaper to upgrade, but it is not always possible.

I have worked for a fortune 5 company, a small mom & pop computer repair store and currently for a small family owned business. I will take the small business over the other two anyday. I could make more money at a large company in a city somewhere, but I have done that before and I find that having the president of the company calling me by name, instead of just being a number on some bean counter's ledger, to be much more satisfying.

Add in the fact that I am the "entire" IT department and make all the IT based decisions and purchases, it just doesn't get any better. :)

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Who cares if you rember DOS or IBM Personal Systems 2 486 CPU? Coax for networking?

T connectors and terminators! :D

Had an 8+1 10BaseT/10Base2 hub in my early days of LAN gaming. Really sucked if you were late to the party and had to share with the 4 others also on that single port :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
3-5 years I suppose for me. I have a pretty general IT job for a 100+ employee company. There's a half dozen of us, we all run around and answer questions, fix little things. It's simple work. There's a graveyard upstairs that holds 50+ p2-p4 boxes, mostly dell. It's fun working with proprietary parts! Best part is switching out ATX connectors to match up to the dell boards so the PSU pumps enough amps for the video cards running cad. Server maintenance is a routine, nothing fancy. Everyone insists on using IE, though we all recommend and use Firefox. Working with this many people everyday makes you realize how entirely clueless the general public is about computers.

Easiest thing to figure out was when this guy on his laptop was working through a port replicator, and suddenly lost his image! Very sensitive information that he though was lost might get PWNED! Ah well, he kicked a cable. I saw it right when I walked in, but apparently he hadn't gotten up and walked around his desk yet. The hardest thing to do is keep a straight face, and let people explain how incredibly DIRE their situation is. I try to relay to them, your data is NEVER safe. Get over it, accept that at any given time, something horrible CAN happen. I'm much nicer about it in person. Being nice, and listening, and nodding your head is 10x more important in a corporate setting, than fixing every little problem.

IT guys can always rely on "well, sometimes these things just happen."

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
A friend manages a couple IBM servers and some Fiber network for two hospitals, however he got so bored that he got EMT training and does both for the hospitals now. He says his counterpart that watches the system for the other parts of the day is a useless turd and tried to get me to move to Florida and do it.

Starting wage with no IBM certs on Iseries servers was $47,000 a year, and they paid for the training, etc.... Then you got a bump to 52K. He was making 119K doing both jobs during the year.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
A friend manages a couple IBM servers and some Fiber network for two hospitals, however he got so bored that he got EMT training and does both for the hospitals now. He says his counterpart that watches the system for the other parts of the day is a useless turd and tried to get me to move to Florida and do it.

Starting wage with no IBM certs on Iseries servers was $47,000 a year, and they paid for the training, etc.... Then you got a bump to 52K. He was making 119K doing both jobs during the year.

hmmm .. feel like moving from this 3rd world rock.

1Strive

The head IT guys at one hospital (my main client) make around 52K. They are very political and back stabbing, they also like to raise their voice at us "IT vendors". I take refuge in the fact that I work from home, make a heck of a lot more, and don't have to deal with idiots like them on a daily basis. I am so glad I didn't take the 8-5 IT office job in the city this job is where it's at for me. I will stay at least 5 years while I finish up my degrees. MBA is my goal. Then we will see, from there but I hope I can stay with my current company they RAWK.:rockout:

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Where's the "I invented IT" option?

lol jk I'm not in the IT business, tho I wouldn't mind it.

Yin

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE II Extreme
Cooling CM v10
Memory Corsair 3 x 2GB TR3X6G1866C9DF
Video Card(s) Nvidia XFX 8800GT Stock
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS, 2 x Samsung HD103UJ
Display(s) 2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Where's the "0 Years" option?

I been trying to get into IT for about a year now, and its not working out for me.

At some point you will be the old guy bragging to the the kids about how much you know, well your doing that right now i guess. Really the old guys know a lot that you don't. After all they started before "user friendly" was a term in computers, they made it so we can all set up a network or build a PC. You really have it a lot better then the old guys did and it is all because of there knowledge and hard work. I for one remember just loading Oregon trial on the pet PCs being a task.
I do agree the older you get the less up to date you are in any field but once in a while that old school knowledge saves the day. I'm not in IT[ landscaper] but I've worked with both the know it all collage kid and the seen it all old guy, THEY BOTH SUCK:laugh: Being the work together do it right guy is the only way to get stuff done.

1Strive

Kid's right out of Collage. Suck.

At some point you will be the old guy bragging to the the kids about how much you know, well your doing that right now i guess. Really the old guys know a lot that you don't. After all they started before "user friendly" was a term in computers, they made it so we can all set up a network or build a PC. You really have it a lot better then the old guys did and it is all because of there knowledge and hard work. I for one remember just loading Oregon trial on the pet PCs being a task.
I do agree the older you get the less up to date you are in any field but once in a while that old school knowledge saves the day. I'm not in IT[ landscaper] but I've worked with both the know it all collage kid and the seen it all old guy, THEY BOTH SUCK:laugh: Being the work together do it right guy is the only way to get stuff done.

Don't get me started on Kid's righ out of collage. I would rather work with the old guys over them.
Again, the "old guys suck" comment is in good humor, and is just to attract attention to the thread.

I have had friends that where as old as my parents and they are great but the ones that are my parents age and only have lived for themselves. They have only worked their whole life to get to where they are now and money is the only thing that is important to them. (Again I am talking about a few people that I know. Not everyone.) They can't see that others may have experience too (even more and some areas) and therefor they can not listen to anyone else. Then they talk about us "young guys" and how much we have to learn.

I look at it this way...
If you are 52 and I am 26 and we are doing the same job for around the same pay and there are mostly 40 & 50+ in our company doing this job, it isn't that I am just lucky. I have this position for several reasons. (and you aren't 25 years ahead of me if we are dead even and I am half your age, it's the other way around.)

Sorry for the generalizations they are to get people talking and I don't really mean them.
Except those Women, I mean who do they think they are?

MMc2K3

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS SKT-775 P5K PREMIUM/WIFI S/L 1333FSB
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 + Zalman VF900-CU
Memory Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2/PC2-6400 DOMINATOR @ 960Mhz
Video Card(s) X1900XT 256MB *Now with ATI tool 0.27b3 - wish me luck 21/12
Storage 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II / 16MB Buffer
Power Supply HPU-4M630 Hiper 630W
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64Bit

1Strive

Active Directory and DNS. Networking in General. Yes, when dealing with MS Domains and authentication it is important to understand how the accounts work and how policy flows, how to give access to resources. Not using NTFS shares for a File Server Cluster use the Cluster Sharing. Oh, and especially SAN(s) and NAS. Fiber Channel Switches. The list goes on. But this is just speaking for myself and against the Poser IT old guys I work with.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I look at it this way...
If you are 52 and I am 26 and we are doing the same job for around the same pay and there are mostly 40 & 50+ in our company doing this job, it isn't that I am just lucky. I have this position for several reasons. (and you aren't 25 years ahead of me

You are correct ... I am not 25 years ahead of you. It means that I have 25 more years of experience with a vastly wider array of products than you. It, of course, does not mean that I know more than you when it comes to current tech, but it does mean that I know A LOT more than you about past tech.

That being said, I think that any who brags about how much they know is an arrogant moron (especially when it is to younger people in the field). There is always someone better than you in one field or another, and to take such a condescending attitude is pathetic. We are all here to do the best we possibly can and to share that knowledge with anyone who is interested in learning it. If we do not, we are worthless as a human being.

1Strive

You are correct ... I am not 25 years ahead of you. It means that I have 25 more years of experience with a vastly wider array of products than you. It, of course, does not mean that I know more than you when it comes to current tech, but it does mean that I know A LOT more than you about past tech.

That being said, I think that any who brags about how much they know is an arrogant moron (especially when it is to younger people in the field). There is always someone better than you in one field or another, and to take such a condescending attitude is pathetic. We are all here to do the best we possibly can and to share that knowledge with anyone who is interested in learning it. If we do not, we are worthless as a human being.

Arrogant I am okay with. And to brag does make me look like a fool. I am also okay with that considering I am on an online forum and not making these comments in the field. That would be being moronic.
There is always someone better than me in whatever. Yes. Are they here? (where I am) Now? No to both.

And while you may be interested in sharing knowledge (a rare thing in IT) not everyone shares your good will. Most hare hording knowledge and building little empires because they are scared for their job because they doubt their own ability to get another better one. I guess you would call some of the older guys I work with useless human beings.

I enjoy working with the ones that are sharing and don't like the ones who lie, back stab, play politics, use half truths they say "We" instead of "He" fixed it when it was just "Me" then when they do something it is "I".

So I am not complaining about You I am talking about some guys I work with.

A good example of a Older Man that I respect professionaly is my Father-In-Law. He is an expert in his field and there is no one better than him. He gets paid for his knowledge and a nice quart mil salary is a good place to be when you are in 50+. I hope I do as well as him in my career.

Good luck to you with your careers.

Thanks,
1STRIVE

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
it is not for me i like working on them but i could not do it for a job because it is to annoying some peoples computers u fix them then a week or 2 later they are worse and need more work but other then that its all good. i will still do it on the side for friends but i am going in to pluming and heating, air conditioning, refrigeration and ventilation so i can earn a living

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Arrogant I am okay with.
I'm not, there is no excuse for arrogance. It is the sign of a small mind.

And to brag does make me look like a fool. I am also okay with that considering I am on an online forum and not making these comments in the field. That would be being moronic.
There is always someone better than me in whatever. Yes. Are they here? (where I am) Now? No to both.
I did not mean to imply that it was you doing the bragging. I know that your comments were is jest and just being used to "keep the conversation lively" ;)

And while you may be interested in sharing knowledge (a rare thing in IT) not everyone shares your good will. Most hare hording knowledge and building little empires because they are scared for their job because they doubt their own ability to get another better one. I guess you would call some of the older guys I work with useless human beings.
I really feel sorry for people like that. How can they deal with the day to day insecurity.
If I suck at something I will gladly admit it, and I am thrilled when there is someone I meet who can teach me more about the things I am not well versed in.
Actually the willingness to share IT knowledge is not that rare. If it were, TPU forums would not exist. Look at the large number of people here that are happy to share their knowledge and experiences.
I enjoy working with the ones that are sharing and don't like the ones who lie, back stab, play politics, use half truths they say "We" instead of "He" fixed it when it was just "Me" then when they do something it is "I".
Thankfully, those people are usually pretty transparent in everything they do, and it is not hard to see throught their facade.

So I am not complaining about You I am talking about some guys I work with.
I undestood that from the beginning. You don't know me or how much I know, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. :toast:

A good example of a Older Man that I respect professionaly is my Father-In-Law. He is an expert in his field and there is no one better than him.
See what I mean? It's if fine for you to say this about him, as there are people who I know that I feel are at the top of their respective fields. They, however, should be humble enough not to make a statement like that. It makes them look superficial and pretentious.

I wish you well with your career too, 1Strive.