• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OLPC Gets Blocked from Nigeria

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Some readers may remember the story posted on techPowerUp! at the end of November about a Nigerian firm which was trying to sue the non-profit One Laptop Per Child project regarding some of the features on the XO laptop's keyboard. According to Groklaw, this lawsuit has now begun and an interim injunction is preventing the laptop being distributed in Nigeria - an interim which could potentially last for months. The Nigerian firm, known as Lagos Analysis Corp (LANCOR), is also seeking a permanent injunction and $20 million in damages. The OLPC project did not appear in court but it is expected to "aggressively respond shortly" according to the site.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

LoL, now thats great! What a bunch of morons. Lets keep our country from technology while the rest of the world advances! Oh and destroy our own business in the process.
/end rant

So now Nigerians won't be able to get FREE technology to help their learning. The locals should go down and destroy that company. As I recall half the keyboard manufacturers out there should be brought out by their claim, LoL.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
wow, no offense to anyone but the NIGERIAN FOLK ARE BEING ABSOLUTE RETARDS!!!!!

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I guess it's because their oil company relatives are so rich, they don't know the meaning of the word "charity".

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
as one tpu user pointed out in Nigeria its a all for self mentality.. do whatever is necessary to get on top... but yeah, hopfully some militant group type brings that company some personal grief..

humm prob not a very well off company, otherwise I doubt they would be doing that... I donno if there are alot of people that are well off in Nigeria to purchase thier computers/keyboard, is that the only place that company sells thier computers? cause if it is thier probably lack in the financial department but Im prob wrong and thier well off.

System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64
What a bunch of retards, why sue a charity that helps children learn in under-developed countries like their own. If I lived there I would torch their building.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
Theres a mentality in Nigeria of all for one, that means do whatever you can to get ahead in life since its such a deprived place.. though the Company is prob already "fairly" well off they should lose that mentality but I guess the owner is a idiot/greedy Bas**rd lol.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
kind of like the US purposefully keeping the school system attrocious

less intelligent people = easier to control and more profit (b/c you will buy the literal shit that they make and not a competitor's better product, if you even need it in the first place)

yeah, it's a fair bit different, but with the gov't and corp. one and the same, it sadly isn't a greatly different situation.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
All of you are defending OLPC as if it was actually created with honorable intentions and not about making money. It is no different than the bogus No Child Left Behind insurance scam the democrats keep throwing at you when it also covers families that make up to 85k/yr (Insurance companies and the AMA lobbies push hard for this). You put the word "child" in your product and who would dare argue against it? Look at how many replies there are in defense of OLPC and watch how many replies there are that will rip on me.

Now, I am not against the underdeveloped nations investing in their children but I will not overlook the fact that the OLPC company may or may not have infringed on someone else's patent. No one knows if LANCOR actually approached them to make a royalty deal or not and no one knows if there is any real truth behind their claim or not. After the trial we will know.

OLPC wants the governments to pay for their product which means the people pay for it. They also want the UN to pay for it which means we pay for it and it will probably cost triple after all the UN's red tape and corruption. Understand, OLPC is a business and its purpose is to make money no different than Disney or Microsoft. How would you feel if Microsoft violated an Open Source agreement that Mozilla or Linux had? Or rather if Mozilla was accused of violating a Microsoft patent?

With that being said, it would not surprise me if LANCOR, being a Nigerian company, is full of smoke and just wants a piece of the action. Time will tell.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Looks like the laptop is being sold at practically cost to me.

What are they all getting? A few cents on the dollar, seriously.

All of you are defending OLPC as if it was actually created with honorable intentions and not about making money. It is no different than the bogus No Child Left Behind insurance scam the democrats keep throwing at you when it also covers families that make up to 85k/yr (Insurance companies and the AMA lobbies push hard for this). You put the word "child" in your product and who would dare argue against it? Look at how many replies there are in defense of OLPC and watch how many replies there are that will rip on me.

Now, I am not against the underdeveloped nations investing in their children but I will not overlook the fact that the OLPC company may or may not have infringed on someone else's patent. No one knows if LANCOR actually approached them to make a royalty deal or not and no one knows if there is any real truth behind their claim or not. After the trial we will know.

OLPC wants the governments to pay for their product which means the people pay for it. They also want the UN to pay for it which means we pay for it and it will probably cost triple after all the UN's red tape and corruption. Understand, OLPC is a business and its purpose is to make money no different than Disney or Microsoft. How would you feel if Microsoft violated an Open Source agreement that Mozilla or Linux had? Or rather if Mozilla was accused of violating a Microsoft patent?

With that being said, it would not surprise me if LANCOR, being a Nigerian company, is full of smoke and just wants a piece of the action. Time will tell.
In my mind its not about the OLPC as much as its about the company sueing them. I doubt OLPC will loose any money on their business and I'm sure they are making money. My point was that this company 1. is sueing one small company when it has been noted in previous posts on the subject that by their claim there are many company's that "violate" their patent. 2. The only achievement made was to stop free products from going to their own country. 3. I don't doubt it is "violating" something, just the attacking company isn't helping anyone muchless themselves.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
In my mind its not about the OLPC as much as its about the company sueing them. I doubt OLPC will loose any money on their business and I'm sure they are making money. My point was that this company 1. is sueing one small company when it has been noted in previous posts on the subject that by their claim there are many company's that "violate" their patent. 2. The only achievement made was to stop free products from going to their own country. 3. I don't doubt it is "violating" something, just the attacking company isn't helping anyone muchless themselves.

The main point is that it is not free.
They wouldn't be suing them if there was nothing to gain. OLPC wants the Nigerian govt. to pay for them.

It's probably for the best anyways...The last thing I want to see are more Nigerian scammers on eBay and craigslist. Do you think the Nigerian OLPC comes preloaded with copy and paste scam emails, in poor English, about sending a money order to their uncle's sister? :nutkick:

dear seller, i am very much interested in your item. i am actually getting it for a friend as birthday gift in africa, and therefore will want the shipment to africa ( lagos-nigeria). his birthday is very nearby and i want him to receive this gift before his birthday or latest on his birthday. so i will like us to speed up this transaction. i will like to pay you$500.00 plus the cost of shipment(ups expr). my mode of payment will be western union auction payments (money order), so that upon receipt of confirmation and approval letter indicating your payment has been approved and guranteed , you shall release the package for shipment. if you agree with this terms , i would be grateful you provide me with your full name and contact address with which payment will be made out. i assure that when your details is sent , your payment will be made immediately. thanks for your understanding

The main point is that it is not free.
They wouldn't be suing them if there was nothing to gain. OLPC wants the Nigerian govt. to pay for them.

It's probably for the best anyways...The last thing I want to see are more Nigerian scammers on eBay and craigslist. Do you think the Nigerian OLPC comes preloaded with copy and paste scam emails, in poor English, about sending a money order to their uncle's sister? :nutkick:
LoL, can't argue with that arguement!
Thought we were paying for them when we bought one, one was sent to a developing country. Thats the promotion I've heard from them.

Well maybe I stand corrected . . . Today Intel walked away from OLPC . . .
Perhaps the company isn't that bright.