• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Brings 500GB Spinpoint M6 Hard Drive to Laptops

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Samsung has announced that it has paved the way for laptops to come with upto 1TB hard drives following an announcement at CES in Las Vegas. The South Korean company has announced the development of its new Spinpoint M6 500GB hard drive, the world's first 500GB 2.5-inch hard drive that fits in the industry's standard 9.5mm height dimension of laptops. The announcement comes just a few days after Hitachi Ltd. announced it will be introducing a 500 GB laptop hard drive in February. Samsung's new Spinpoint M6 500GB consists of three 166GB platters spinning at 5400rpm. The M6 drives will feature 8MB cache, and 3.0Gbps SATA interface. Samsung's Spinpoint M6 500 GB hard drive is scheduled to launch in March this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Samsung has announced that it has paved the way for laptops to come with upto 1TB hard drives following an announcement at CES in Las Vegas. The South Korean company has announced the development of its new Spinpoint M6 500GB hard drive, the world’s first 500GB 2.5-inch hard drive that fits in the industry’s standard 9.5mm height dimension of laptops. The announcement comes just a few days after Hitachi Ltd. announced it will be introducing a 500 GB laptop hard drive in February. Samsung’s new Spinpoint M6 500GB consists of three 166GB platters spinning at 5400rpm. The M6 drives will feature 8MB cache, and 3.0Gbps SATA interface. Samsung's Spinpoint M6 500 GB hard drive is scheduled to launch in March this year.

Source: Pocket-lint

If its less than $400 this will be a steal for mobile users

russianboy

Processor AMD 3500+ Venice at stock
Motherboard ECS K8T890-A
Memory 1 Gb Corsair Valueram CAS 3
Video Card(s) Connect3d X800 GTO OC'd to 551.25/551.25
Storage 4 mixed up drives
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"LCD
Case Generic noname crap
Audio Device(s) Realtec AC'97
Power Supply 500 watt Ultra PSU
Software Win2k Pro, XP, Ubuntu linux, and Vista
This seems like a great option for a desktop-replacement laptop, however I have a question.

How "durable" would drives like this be?

I say this because you are packing so much data in such a small space, that if something should go awry, file corruption/loss could be an issue. As laptops are always moving around and such, these would probably be very fragile.

Any follow up on this would be appreciated, but that was just my idea.

ex_reven

This seems like a great option for a desktop-replacement laptop, however I have a question.

How "durable" would drives like this be?

I say this because you are packing so much data in such a small space, that if something should go awry, file corruption/loss could be an issue. As laptops are always moving around and such, these would probably be very fragile.

Any follow up on this would be appreciated, but that was just my idea.

In my opinion, the whole idea that laptop drives get damaged from the laptop being moved is slightly bull. Laptop hard drives are no more succeptible to damage than your regular desktop hard drive. Granted, hard shock from dropping or undue stress on the laptop chassis is bound to cause some kind of damage. But I find the idea that a laptop hard drive gets damage from ordinary carry (packed away in a bag slung over the shoulder) is slightly exaggerated. Maybe if the laptop was on while being moved it would be more of an issue, but otherwise I disagree.

russianboy

Processor AMD 3500+ Venice at stock
Motherboard ECS K8T890-A
Memory 1 Gb Corsair Valueram CAS 3
Video Card(s) Connect3d X800 GTO OC'd to 551.25/551.25
Storage 4 mixed up drives
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"LCD
Case Generic noname crap
Audio Device(s) Realtec AC'97
Power Supply 500 watt Ultra PSU
Software Win2k Pro, XP, Ubuntu linux, and Vista
I have moved a hard drive while it was on, the gyroscopic effect was insane.

I wouldn't be surprised if that causes undue stress on the drives, being that they are mechanical and all.

Also I wonder if the fact that a laptop usually is not as sturdy as a PC tower has any effect on the drive, perhaps it vibrates more?

However that is all speculation on my part, and I do understand your statement, ex_reven. But the fact that it is mechanical is enough to make me say-"SSD FTW!" Since the durability of those devices is much greater than those of mechanical drives, but until they become mainstream, I will be using my current drives, since they do the job! But if technology continues progressing the way it is, I would not be surprised if next year around this time everyone would have solid state drives.

Still, it is still awesome, 500 gb. on a laptop is a mighty lot of portable media/entertainment.

ex_reven

Agreed, I can see it being an issue if the laptop is jarred while the hard drives are spinning. I mean, just look at the effect a bump has when you have a cd in your drive, the disk jumps and you can audibly hear it tearing the disk to shreds within the drive. A hard drive platter might not move so much, but there has to be some form of damage to the devices that interface with/move the platters.