• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wal-Mart to Exclusively Support Blu-ray

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
I think digital downloads on demand are a long way off. It is convienient, but not currently practical for most consumers.

And $400 for a Blu-Ray player and movies at $30-40 a pop are more practical?

Streaming is definitely more practical right now, and will only get more practical as time goes by. Even if in 4 years you can get a blu-ray player for $50 and movies for $15, everyone will have a super fast broadband connection and some form of set-top box.

And in four years, everyone who doesn't have an HDTV right now will be upgrading. Those people are going to go for the most convenient way to get HD movies, which means skipping the disc player.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Streaming is definitely more practical right now, and will only get more practical as time goes by. Even if in 4 years you can get a blu-ray player for $50 and movies for $15, everyone will have a super fast broadband connection and some form of set-top box.

And in four years, everyone who doesn't have an HDTV right now will be upgrading. Those people are going to go for the most convenient way to get HD movies, which means skipping the disc player.

No it isn't currently practical. Most people currently don't have a broadband connection fast enough to stream HD content off the web. People are still going to have to buy set top boxes, even if it is an Xbox360, it is still $300 for the damn thing. If you get it through cable, you might get the box for free, but really you are just renting it from them, just like all set top boxes you get with cable.

There are huge hurtles that have to be overcome before HD on demand is practical, it certainly isn't practical right now because of those hurtles.

And Blu-Ray movie prices are already heading down into the $15 range, Best Buy has a bunch of $15 Blu-Ray movies. And do you think the on demand movies will be free? You can bet your ass they will be a good $10 a pop at least, and you get to watch them once or twice and that is it. No thanks, I want a physical copy I can watch any time I want.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
No it isn't currently practical. Most people currently don't have a broadband connection fast enough to stream HD content off the web. People are still going to have to buy set top boxes, even if it is an Xbox360, it is still $300 for the damn thing. If you get it through cable, you might get the box for free, but really you are just renting it from them, just like all set top boxes you get with cable.

There are huge hurtles that have to be overcome before HD on demand is practical, it certainly isn't practical right now because of those hurtles.

360 cost doesn't matter, it already has market penetration for another purpose. The majority of internet connections in the US are in fact broadband, and it's not like people can't also download a movie instead of streaming it.

Services like Netflix show that people really don't care about owning a movie. You watch once or twice, and send it back.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
360 cost doesn't matter, it already has market penetration for another purpose. The majority of internet connections in the US are in fact broadband, and it's not like people can't also download a movie instead of streaming it.

Services like Netflix show that people really don't care about owning a movie. You watch once or twice, and send it back.

The fact still stands that most of them are not fast enough to stream HD content on demand. You've got a majority of broadband customers using 1.5Mb/s connections or slower. With companies like ATT pushing 700Kb/s connections for $9.99 a month, you can bet most don't have the connection speed to stream HD content in a reasonable manner. And I don't even want to get into the number of people connected via satellite and their horribly slow connections that just barely qualify as broadband.

Interesting you should bring up netflix. It also proves that On Demand digial downloads don't work because their On Demand feature is failing horribly.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
although Wals-mart taking the side of BR doesn't look good for HD-DVD; I still don't think it's over for the HD format. Keeping in mind, that what Wal-mart wants, wal-mart gets, and if other corps aren't willing to meet their desires, wants, demands, Wal-Mart drops their merchandise like it never existed, pulls everything off the shelf and packs it into a warehouse somewhere in the US to be auctioned off for dirt cheap. Although Wal-Mart is currently backing BR, we still haven't seen what K-Mart/Sears and Target will do, and they typically go against Wal-Marts types of decisions.

Again, I also still feel that the more predominant BR becomes, the more we're going to see Sony and Pioneer start squabbaling over the liscensing and royalties. Even though it's a shared technology between the two, they never see eye-to-eye about things.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Maybe you don't realize this, but cable isn't free. If you get a digital cable package from comcast where I live with all of the channels, it's 129$ a month (and I'm not talking the hd package, if you want that it's 10$ more) + the fee for renting the cable box (unless you buy one). At that point, they charge you 4.99$ - 5.99$ per movie (and there is no option to buy). Trust me, I have it in my house.

I think Blu-Ray is way more practical in the long run.

Furthermore, I don't know where you getting this info that Apple TV has bad HD quality, because I have no complaints about the HD rentals from iTunes. I could do a side by side of a Blu-Ray and a iTunes HD movie in 1080p and there would be no difference.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Blu Ray/HD-DVD really doesn't matter. By the time it reaches the price level that DVD was at, streaming video will have replaced all physical media.

Just look at what cable companies are doing with "On Demand" services. You can order and instantly watch 720p movies from your tv remote, never leaving your couch. Americans love anything that can save even a wee bit of time, and the savings of on-demand services are immense.

It's cheaper for the movie studios as well. No more physical media to mass produce, distribute, and produce players for. All they need is bandwidth and a set-top box.

The next generation of consoles probably won't even have disc drives.

i pretty much agree with you but i have to say that the compression cable companies use totally destroys the purpose of high definition. a movie at 1080p using avc looks much better than an on demand cable rip of the same movie at 720p. a lot of people say that most people do not care about picture quality, but i would ask them why bother with high definition then. the goal from day 1 of home movie industry was to replicate the cinema going experience at home. that means the absolute best/sound possible. you wont get that from your cable company for a long long time. they dont have the technology to push ~50mb/s video to everyone's home. so maybe in say 10 years we will see a real increase in performance from our television providers. for now movie studios will continue to produce discs we can all buy.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Maybe you don't realize this, but cable isn't free. If you get a digital cable package from comcast where I live with all of the channels, it's 129$ a month (and I'm not talking the hd package, if you want that it's 10$ more) + the fee for renting the cable box (unless you buy one). At that point, they charge you 4.99$ - 5.99$ per movie (and there is no option to buy). Trust me, I have it in my house.

Furthermore, I don't know where you getting this info that Apple TV has bad HD quality, because I have no complaints about the HD rentals from iTunes. I could do a side by side of a Blu-Ray and a iTunes HD movie in 1080p and there would be no difference.

i too have comcast and am overpaying for shitty looking hd content. i will by no means purchase their crappy on demand rentals. also, ive seen the apple tv hd movies and yes they look pretty good, but i can tell there is a very big difference in color, sharpness and brightness. also, the audio is not as crisp in 5.1

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro

That comparison is impossible, Itunes HD movies are in 720p.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
I still think Blu-ray was chosen over HD-DVD because the encryption hasn't been fully cracked on Blu-ray yet. :p

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Let me go ahead and start singing, shananana shananana hey hey hey, goodbye!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
a battle between apple tv and blu-ray would be interesting. personally if i buy a movie i want a physical copy of it. furthermore, i am an audio/videophile and can easily tell the difference between a 1080p AVC blu-ray movie running at 50-60Mb/s versus a 720p HD x264 rip running at barely 3 Mb/s. now a lot of people may not mind, but if you want HD content then why buy the expensive HDTV to watch crappy movie rips?

Processor Intel C2D E8500 @ 4.25GHz (1.36V)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
Cooling (Temporary) Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 2GB Transcend aXeram 1200+
Video Card(s) HIS HD3870 CF Volt modded
Storage 3 Seagate 320Gb Barracuda in an Intel Matrix Raid array
Display(s) Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT (a.k.a "The Shiznotch")
Case Ultra Aluminus Full Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard Intel HD audio
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Software XP MCE + Vista (HP) dual-boot
a battle between apple tv and blu-ray would be interesting. personally if i buy a movie i want a physical copy of it. furthermore, i am an audio/videophile and can easily tell the difference between a 1080p AVC blu-ray movie running at 50-60Mb/s versus a 720p HD x264 rip running at barely 3 Mb/s. now a lot of people may not mind, but if you want HD content then why buy the expensive HDTV to watch crappy movie rips?

QFT!

The difference is night and day! Some people would rather save HDD space and make all their A/V suffer.

I'll never understand...:shadedshu

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
99% of people don't care about the difference between a 720p video and 1080p.

A certain part of my family recently got a 40" 1080p lcd, and they were talking about how great tv and movies looked now. Previously they had a ~27" crt. They also got their first dvd player with this tv, and a 5:1 surround sound system. To them, it's greatest thing since color tv, even though are were watching the same analog cable as before, and dvd's through composite cables.

I recently switched the dvd player to component cables and turned on the progressive scan mode, and I thought it looked better, but they could barely tell the difference.

There is a big placebo effect with people switching to HDTV's, and I think blu-ray and other companies are lost in an upgrading spiral that people don't care about. DVD's at 480p look good enough to 99% of people, so now what really matters is convenience and price.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Bah ... until they start making televisions and selling disks that play in 1600p, I'm not interested.

I can play my games in that res, why not my movies?

MO PIXELS !!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
QFT!

The difference is night and day! Some people would rather save HDD space and make all their A/V suffer.

I'll never understand...:shadedshu

me neither! but it is their choice. it doesnt make sense tho to spend 1000+ on a nice hdtv set and watch crap movie rips.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
99% of people don't care about the difference between a 720p video and 1080p.

A certain part of my family recently got a 40" 1080p lcd, and they were talking about how great tv and movies looked now. Previously they had a ~27" crt. They also got their first dvd player with this tv, and a 5:1 surround sound system. To them, it's greatest thing since color tv, even though are were watching the same analog cable as before, and dvd's through composite cables.

I recently switched the dvd player to component cables and turned on the progressive scan mode, and I thought it looked better, but they could barely tell the difference.

There is a big placebo effect with people switching to HDTV's, and I think blu-ray and other companies are lost in an upgrading spiral that people don't care about. DVD's at 480p look good enough to 99% of people, so now what really matters is convenience and price.

its pretty simple, if you dont want to spend the money for blu-ray then dont. instead use your $1000+ hdtv to watch crappy movie rips.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
The fact still stands that most of them are not fast enough to stream HD content on demand. You've got a majority of broadband customers using 1.5Mb/s connections or slower. With companies like ATT pushing 700Kb/s connections for $9.99 a month, you can bet most don't have the connection speed to stream HD content in a reasonable manner. And I don't even want to get into the number of people connected via satellite and their horribly slow connections that just barely qualify as broadband.

Interesting you should bring up netflix. It also proves that On Demand digial downloads don't work because their On Demand feature is failing horribly.

see the whole problem with that argument is that "most people" don't give a rats ass about hd, so they wouldn't be buying Blu-ray either. and those who can afford blu-ray can afford fast internet. The idea that someone could afford an HDTV, Blu-ray player and enough discs to make the purchase worth it, while not having high speed internet is ludicrous to me. I mean seriously, theres no way there's that many of those people out there.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
see the whole problem with that argument is that "most people" don't give a rats ass about hd, so they wouldn't be buying Blu-ray either. and those who can afford blu-ray can afford fast internet. The idea that someone could afford an HDTV, Blu-ray player and enough discs to make the purchase worth it, while not having high speed internet is ludicrous to me. I mean seriously, theres no way there's that many of those people out there.

Not everyone who can afford an HDTV and all the extras can get high speed internet.
For example ... ME !

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
Not everyone who can afford an HDTV and all the extras can get high speed internet.
For example ... ME !

You're in the minority. Big business really doesn't care about you ;)

Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58
Cooling eight 120mm fans, Swiftech GTZ cpu block, 3 120mm radiator, MCP655 pump, primochill tubing
Memory 6 gig G-Skill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 285's (SLI)
Storage 500GB Western Digital
Display(s) 3 Asus 23 in inchers
Case Lian Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 1000
Software win 7 64
I will continue to buy DVDs that are easy to backup so the original stays in the case unscracted. DVD upconverting FTW
:toast::toast::toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You're in the minority. Big business really doesn't care about you ;)

Actually, almost everyone in the US have access to broadband in one form or another, mostly satellite. Outside of bigger cities, cable and DSL is very rare. I know at the beginning of 2007 only ~50% of homes in the US had a "high" speed connection, and I am willing to bet at least half of those were on connections of 1.5Mb/s or less, which is no where near fast enough to stream HD content. Hell, I am on a 5Mb/s connection and it still takes me 5 minutes 30 seconds to download a 2 minute and 30 second trailer at 1080p at close to the full 5Mb/s. So it would take over 3 hours to download a hour and a half long 1080p movie. And I have one of the fastest internet connections available in my area.

Yeah, HD Content on demand isn't even close to a viable option to consumers currently. Yes, setting it up to download the file and then watching it later a decent idea, but again it would take less time to just drive to my local block buster and rent the movie for $3.99. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, it just isn't currently practical. Maybe once we all have 10+Mb/s connections in our homes it will be practical, but not currently with the current connection speeds in the US. It might currently work for 720p content, but not 1080p.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Maybe once we all have 10+Mb/s connections in our homes it will be practical, but not currently with the current connection speeds in the US. It might currently work for 720p content, but not 1080p.

we're actually on our way, cox is at 12megs, and so-cal has a company (roadrunner I believe)offering a 30meg down 2 up for 119$ a month and a 15 meg down 1 up for 70$ a month.

a couple more years and those speeds will be streamlined. granted in a couple years blu-ray will be cheaper and more viable. so i dunno, right now it seems no matter what the consumer is screwed. lol

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
we're actually on our way, cox is at 12megs, and so-cal has a company (roadrunner I believe)offering a 30meg down 2 up for 119$ a month and a 15 meg down 1 up for 70$ a month.

a couple more years and those speeds will be streamlined. granted in a couple years blu-ray will be cheaper and more viable. so i dunno, right now it seems no matter what the consumer is screwed. lol

well first, i would say it will be atleast 4-5 years before something like 15Mb/s connection costs the same as today' standard cable internet connection. by that time blu-ray movies will be as cheap as DVDs.

the ONLY thing APPLETV or other on-demand style streaming HD movies has in its advantage is convenience. you simply will not impress people with crappy 3Mb/s rips of 50Mb/s movies when they spend $1500 on a shiny new HDTV.