• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
TOKYO--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba's commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Well, looks like I better snap up those few HD DVDs that I wanted before they're gone. I'm too impatient to wait for them to release on Bluray. lol.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Im glad I chose Blu-Ray. IMHO HD-DVD seemed to me like the "me too" solution to HD. As in I want to have an HD setup but dont want to pay for the "real deal"

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Thank you Toshiba. We still heart you. If you ever make a Blu Ray player I will only buy one from you.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it
Now it is time to figure out which bluray player to buy.

Im certainly not buying anything from Sony I know that much. i may end up buying a Samsung but even that wont be until they get their issues worked out, And I manage to scrape up enough cash to actually afford one.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Now it is time to figure out which bluray player to buy.

The PS3 is honestly the best solution right now, mainly due to the easy of update when new Blu-Ray standards are released.

EGGcellent. Now all I need is Transformers to be released on Blu-ray...hurry up Paramount/Dreamworks!

Processor Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6Ghz
Motherboard BioStar TForce4 SLI (939)
Cooling Stock Opteron Heatpipe Cooler
Memory 4x512 Crucial BalistiX, @ DDR520, 2.5-3-3-8
Video Card(s) ATI, x1900 AIW (600/620)
Storage 80GB SATA2, 320GB eSATA2
Display(s) AGM 19" Widescreen LCD, 4ms
Case Aspire X-Dreamer (Black)
Audio Device(s) Auzentech: X-Meridan (Best Soundcard Ever)
Power Supply Rosewill 550W 2x12V
Software XP Professional X64 & Ubuntu 7.10 x86
Thank you Toshiba. We still heart you. If you ever make a Blu Ray player I will only buy one from you.

I hear you there man.. I've always loved Toshiba products. My TV, (1 of my) Laptop(s), and DVD player are Toshiba. They make fine long lasting products, but I could never bring myself to like HD DVD. I too would purchase a Toshiba Blu-Ray player if/when ever released.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'm sorry Toshiba has thrown in the towel... WHIMPS!... and is locking up the HD-DVD technology and IP. It's a shame they didnt bite the volume bullet and say "HEY, we've decided to make HD-DVD a non premium product. Here you go everyone... OPEN SOURCE... let HD DVD be the new DVD at the same prices as DVD. That strategy would have won. Unfortunately they were too slow off the mark. Some of the Toshiba executives should go and fall on swords.

IMO, if MS had been running the HDDVD show, it wouldnt have failed so easily. Just goes to show that some companies are better market makers than others. (And SONY IS good at that, dispite a few hiccups in the past)

If the industry was clever... it could still use HDDVD for PC use for achiving large volumes of data... backups... data distribution etc... and keep BR strictly for movies. That way they would be more successful in keeping out pirating of movies by ripping from the media using a PC.

As for BR, then I agree with everyone else... go for the PS3. For the same price as a BR player you get a free console. It's also upgradeable.

I wonder if, however, there could be a lawsuit here... if the Toshiba lawyers are clever... just like MS was successfully sued for Internet Explorer and Media Player etc. as "built in features for free crowing out the market for competition", so could the PS3 receive similar complaint.

It's amazing that on a strategic level, HD DVD has failed ONLY due to the PS3... because the other standalone BR players have not sold any significant volume. So SONY has done a fantastic job winning a format war using a games console. Congratulations to them.

Last edited:

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
I'm sorry Toshiba has thrown in the towel... WHIMPS!... and is locking up the HD-DVD technology and IP. It's a shame they didnt bite the volume bullet and say "HEY, we've decided to make HD-DVD a non premium product. Here you go everyone... OPEN SOURCE... let HD DVD be the new DVD at the same prices as DVD. That strategy would have won. Unfortunately they were too slow off the mark. Some of the Toshiba executives should go and fall on swords.

IMO, if MS had been running the HDDVD show, it wouldnt have failed so easily. Just goes to show that some companies are better market makers than others. (And SONY IS good at that, dispite a few hiccups in the past)

If the industry was clever... it could still use HDDVD for PC use for achiving large volumes of data... backups... data distribution etc... and keep BR strictly for movies. That way they would be more successful in keeping out pirating of movies by ripping from the media using a PC.

As for BR, then I agree with everyone else... go for the PS3. For the same price as a BR player you get a free console. It's also upgradeable.

I wonder if, however, there could be a lawsuit here... if the Toshiba lawyers are clever... just like MS was successfully sued for Internet Explorer and Media Player etc. as "built in features for free crowing out the market for competition", so could the PS3 receive similar complaint.

It's amazing that on a strategic level, HD DVD has failed ONLY due to the PS3... because the other standalone BR players have not sold any significant volume. So SONY has done a fantastic job winning a format war using a games console. Congratulations to them.

your right about many things lemonadesoda.
I agree that they should still sell HD DVDs cheaper than Blu ray discs if purely for storage capacities, and therfore make it easier for people who have HD DVDs to still play them in dual PC High Def DVD drives.
however I dont think that if Microsoft had been running the show that they would be any beter off. Microsoft was lazy with HD DVD this whole time around while not using any of their money reserves to help advertise HD DVD. All they reall did was release a HD DVD add on for the 360 and Help Toshiba to minimize its costs for HD DVD players. Thats about it.

Sony may have one the Blu ray battle by putting it in every PS3 but can they win the Console wars. I dont think that they can win both. Considering that the PS3 was almost considered to be a falure gamewise but not Blu Ray wise.

your right about many things lemonadesoda.
I agree that they should still sell HD DVDs cheaper than Blu ray discs if purely for storage capacities, and therfore make it easier for people who have HD DVDs to still play them in dual PC High Def DVD drives.
however I dont think that if Microsoft had been running the show that they would be any beter off. Microsoft was lazy with HD DVD this whole time around while not using any of their money reserves to help advertise HD DVD. All they reall did was release a HD DVD add on for the 360 and Help Toshiba to minimize its costs for HD DVD players. Thats about it.

Sony may have one the Blu ray battle by putting it in every PS3 but can they win the Console wars. I dont think that they can win both. Considering that the PS3 was almost considered to be a falure gamewise but not Blu Ray wise.

I wouldnt say it was a failure gamewise.
Their sales last year werent that great.
But if you look now, they have a lot of hot games coming out this year and on top of that they are beating XBox360 sales currently.
I think the PS3 is going to sell really well now and get more support from game publishers

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
I wouldnt say it was a failure gamewise.
Their sales last year werent that great.
But if you look now, they have a lot of hot games coming out this year and on top of that they are beating XBox360 sales currently.
I think the PS3 is going to sell really well now and get more support from game publishers

The only reason their beating xbox 360 sales is due to a shortaage of xbox 360s by Microsoft after not expecting so much demand for its console in January

Water Drop

Processor Intel Xeon X3210 Quad Core (G0) @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty Dark P35-T2RS
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120A w/ Scythe S-Flex F 120mm
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) eVGA Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Storage WD Black 1TB + 320GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" Widescreen 2005FPW (1680x1050)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/window (black inside and out, debadged)
Power Supply Seasonic X750 Gold
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
It's a sad day for consumers. Now we gotta deal with Sony's DRM-ridden format. Watch as the prices sky rocket and all those "5 free" deals go away no that there is no competition in the marketplace. I was really hoping for a two format industry similar to DVD-R and DVD+R.

I for one will not be buying a Blu-Ray player for a long time. When they are about $100 USD, I may pick one up, and it certainly won't be a Sony. Samsung is alright in my book, I may buy one of their players when they are cheap.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
Sony's strategy paid off in the end but I do fear a rapid price increase in Blu-ray media costs, it's Sony so it's inevitable.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's a sad day for consumers. Now we gotta deal with Sony's DRM-ridden format. Watch as the prices sky rocket and all those "5 free" deals go away no that there is no competition in the marketplace. I was really hoping for a two format industry similar to DVD-R and DVD+R.

I for one will not be buying a Blu-Ray player for a long time. When they are about $100 USD, I may pick one up, and it certainly won't be a Sony. Samsung is alright in my book, I may buy one of their players when they are cheap.

HD-DVD used virtually the same DRM. The Blu-Ray format has the ability to use the same DRM format as HD-DVD or a more secure method. It is up to the actual movie studio to pick the DRM they use on their Discs. Options are always good, not that DRM really affects anyone in the Blu-Ray war. The only people that complain about it are the pirates that don't matter anyway.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
for all of you worried about when titles like transformers and the matrix will be out for blu-ray i read that universal already has stacks of these movies in blu-ray format just waiting for the word to release them. im sure universal had a key role in helping toshiba decide what to do. so if i am right we will see those important hd-dvd releases hit blu-ray in stores sometime in march. oh, and congrats Sony you finally won a format war! sony FTW

sony :nutkick: toshiba

Processor Intel C2D E8500 @ 4.25GHz (1.36V)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
Cooling (Temporary) Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 2GB Transcend aXeram 1200+
Video Card(s) HIS HD3870 CF Volt modded
Storage 3 Seagate 320Gb Barracuda in an Intel Matrix Raid array
Display(s) Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT (a.k.a "The Shiznotch")
Case Ultra Aluminus Full Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard Intel HD audio
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Software XP MCE + Vista (HP) dual-boot
Here's how it's all gonna go down:

M$ wanted to get Sony into a format war so that they would expend massive amounts of resources in order to "win". With the (literally) billions that Sony has invested they are kinda "on their heels" (to coin a boxing term) and M$ will deliver the knockout with downloadable content, which had been the business model they have been moving toward before this whole thing started.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Here's how it's all gonna go down:

M$ wanted to get Sony into a format war so that they would expend massive amounts of resources in order to "win". With the (literally) billions that Sony has invested they are kinda "on their heels" (to coin a boxing term) and M$ will deliver the knockout with downloadable content, which had been the business model they have been moving toward before this whole thing started.

I think you and Micheal Bay would get along just right. :laugh:

Anyhow, thankfully it's over...Unknowing customer were constantly getting ripped off with dead products. Why do you think retailers had more HD-DVD returns than they actually had HD-DVD products on their shelves.

Last edited:

ktr

Now that this format war is over, a new one begins...BLU-RAY VS. DIGITAL DOWNLOADS....FIGHT!!!

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Can the HD-DVD players be hacked to read Blu-ray disks? Is it the same ray they use? If so that will be fun.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
Can the HD-DVD players be hacked to read Blu-ray disks? Is it the same ray they use? If so that will be fun.

They both use blue laser diodes but the thing is that Blu ray uses a shorter wavelength than HD DVD. Making it very expensive to do. It has to be the other way where Blu ray players can read HD DVDs whch is why the LLG and Sa,msung players were Blu ray players with a secondary capability to play HD DVDs

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Now that this format war is over, a new one begins...BLU-RAY VS. DIGITAL DOWNLOADS....FIGHT!!!

i dont know if there will be a format war between those two. that is like saying DVD was in a format war with VHS. i think perhaps digital downloads will be the successor, but will not be in a format war with blu-ray.