• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blogger Compiles List of 50 Reasons to Switch to Mac OS X

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
let him say what he wants, untill Crysis and CSS run on mac, im staying put cause its funny to laugh at the mac noobs

Mac its so simple and user friendly we dont let you tweak it cause you might break it

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
hehe

the real mac commercial should be more like this

Hi Im a Mac, and im a PC

So PC what can you do

I play games

Oh, that must be boring

No its fun actully i enjoy it

Well I can't do that, so it must be boreing

No they just deisgned you for 5 year olds, but its ok.

ChillyMyst

I'm gonna say it again for everyone that says otherwise (as it seems I have to do in every thread pertaining to Macs): Macs are NOT overpriced, with the exception of maybe the notebooks. Build a PC with the same components, build quality and features as a Mac, and you'll spend the same amount of money. Sometimes more, as in the case of the all-in-ones like the iMac. You get much less for your money by buying the PC equivalent.

EDIT: That's not to say OS X or Macs are for everyone or better in any way. There are pros and cons to both PCs and Macs.

if you use the same componanats, but i can build a system with componanats of the same QUILITY and equivlant performance for cheaper, for prebuilts......well screw them, :p

acctualy i wana see you find a mac that price for power matches this WileE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113045&Tpk=gateway+8800gt

i know its a gateway, but its a 2.3gz k10, 3gb ram, 8800gt 512, 500GB hdd.
oh and these arent your old gateways, acer now owns gateway, and i havent ever had major problems with acers other then the old ones that used those weird optical drive fronts so u couldnt just swap them out.....

show me a mac that matches that at 1039.99 :)

ChillyMyst

best reply so far!!!

spydr101 - February 14, 2008 @ 11:58 pm

1. Seems that the future of Windows development is happening largely for corporate environments and customers. I don’t take issue with this other than being someone who doesn’t live or work inside a corporate environment at home.

Yes, because Mac is targeted at gamers…… Grow out of your goddamn shell, Windows is for almost everyone. They’re not developing for just corporate environments, because most companies WILL NOT switch to vista because their software isnt Vista compatible.

2. Excellent power management in OS X. When I close the lid to my MacBook Pro, it falls asleep. When I open the lid to my MacBook Pro, it wakes up. Imagine that! Seems to be the case 99% of the time, and it happens quickly.
^has never used a PC laptop, it does the same ****ing thing. That also is a FRACTION of power management features, so he’s ignoring the other parts that both OS’s have.

3. I’m ready to experience different frustrations. OS X isn’t perfect, certainly - but I already see its noticeably more stable than Windows Vista has been. Kernel Panics at least look prettier than BSODs. :) Seriously, I just find OS X’s update schedule to be more to my liking - instead of waiting for gigantic service packs, I get minor point releases along the way to major revisions to the OS. Bugs are going to happen, but knowing that showstopping / security bugs are likely to be squished quicker gives me amazing peace of mind.

Windows updates…..apparently he has never heard of them. I have also never had a BSOD in Vista other than from me overclocking.

4. There’s more interesting, useful, beautiful, and affordable software being developed for OS X. If you still believe that there’s no software for “the Mac,” you’re simply a fool who hasn’t done his or her research.

There is software, its just the PC has the same goddamn equivalent. And I would take functionality over looks anyday.

5. VMware Fusion makes it possible to have every operating system at my fingertips (as well as every app that runs on ‘em, FTW). Performance and stability is a reality, not a dream. More importantly, with USB 2.0 support in VMware Fusion, I have near complete compatibility with any external hardware. Parallels is also there, which should keep competition lively.

Umm…hello? VMWare is on windows too, its not Mac exclusive. And most companies using virtual machines? PC.

6. I believe that the future of Windows (or any OS software layer) will be experienced in a virtual machine of some sort. People have been dual booting for years - now I can triple-task cross-platform in seconds flat.

I believe that the future of Mac will be experienced in a virtual machine - then OSX will be worth it - OSX with the cost of a PC.

7. Not to say that Microsoft or Linux haven’t made great strides in recent years, but… at least Leopard feels like only one team was developing the UI. It’s not quite perfect, but closer to what perfect should be. I’m not a huge fan of iTunes or every other Apple utility - but at least with Leopard, they’re trying to make them look and work the same way.

Really? What BIG changes were in Leopard? Windows is lacking here, but Linux is the one really taking the strides.

8. I love the fact that most programs and their associated libraries are self-contained (apps). There’s no stress in installing / uninstalling most programs, and for true cleanup jobs there’s always AppZapper.

If I was used to it, I wouldnt compain. But its so goddamn confusing because I cant access any of the files under the appications folder, limiting customization.

9. I’m not a huge fan of the Dock for task management, but Quicksilver has virtually no Windows equivalent (in terms of elegance and scriptability, although it’s still completely overwhelming to me right now). The dock isn’t a shining example of where OS X is “better,” but I do appreciate the context menu options for each of the Dock’s icons for “Open at Login” management.

Windows - task scheduler. There are also TONS of programs to write macros for keystrokes.

10. Spotlight is to Windows Desktop Search as a BMW Z4 is to a Ford Pinto (in terms of performance, usability, and UI). No contest. I’m sure some would argue the opposite, but… they’re also probably the extreme developer “but it works if you just learn how to use it right” types. Feh.

Vista can index your entire drive - makes searching just as fast as OSX.

11. The Apple community has been infiltrated by enough people who aren’t smug. You’re not better than me just because you run another OS or support another vendor, nor are you any less of a geek. Not every Windows user is a neanderthal, although some of their dated arguments would make them out to be. I think that most consumers are caught up in the idea that you NEED Windows for everything at home. You don’t.

I am better than you. Get over it. I spend 1/3 of the money on a faster PC, pirate all my software far easier, and am more productive. Me > you.

12. My iPhone is not going away anytime soon. Would I switch for better compatibility with a communications device? Not necessarily, but if the future of OS X is in the present of the iPhone… they’re going to gain consumer market share at blinding speed. Remember, I wanted to hate this device - after years of being a dyed-in-the-wool Windows Mobile advocate.

Lack of 3G, blackberry has 3x faster GSM, no tactile keys, slow browser. There are better phones and cheaper ones. iPhone is not revolutionary.

13. The spyware / malware / virus threat is diminished by an extreme degree. Not to say that one should avoid running protective layers of software or hardware, but… I’m just not as nervous when I try a new app on OS X.

3 years without any firewall (hardware firewall), no antivirus, no malware scanner. So far, I have NEVER gotten a virus on my PC, and to those I have educated, they have not gotten a virus either.

14. Many of my friends are considering making the switch as well. This dovetails nicely with my first point. I can tell you that just by showing off the fun features of CamTwist and Colloquy with my live stream, a few of those community members have already purchased MacBooks - or are strongly considering doing so in the not-too-distant future. Interestingly enough, those are two FREE apps that work amazingly better than most overpriced Windows shareware titles.

Most free software sucks. You bought a Mac to do video editing with iMovie? I didnt think so. Likewise, nobody serious is going to use windows media maker. There is also a free version of software on PC or linux that will get the job done.

15. Microsoft Windows completely abandoned its power users, period. Where are the Windows Vista “Ultimate” add-ons? Where are the new Power Toys? Why doesn’t Windows Media Player have podcast support yet (despite me telling them to integrate RSS back when WMP9 was in beta, years before podcasting was a buzzword)? I’m not saying that Windows is dead - not by any stretch of the imagination.

WMP blows. Ultimate addons were going to suck anyway. Dreamscene is not a “poweruser” feature. Give me network monitors, ip sniffers, and the liking and then we can talk. You have no idea what a poweruser is.

16. Boot Camp, if all else fails.

You bought a Mac, not a PC. I thought your OS was “sooooo great and better”?

17. A single SKU of Leopard is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. This, alone, is a fantastic reason to embrace the platform. It’s seamless. Why should a consumer have to come to a decision on which code to run - or understand the differences between them in the first place? Remember, I’m to be considered a “home” user.

Sure, but how many apps are 64bit? There arent enough programs written in 64bit to justify the switch on almost ANY OS. AFAIC, only video editors, and animators should really be using 64bit.

18. Time Machine. Wow. Can it really be this simple? “Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine.” Do you understand what that means? And no, Windows Volume Shadow Copy is not the SAME thing.

Windows does have a full fledged backup utility.

19. Leopard’s Finder will allegedly search networked computers seamlessly, as well as allow you to access those results remotely (through a paid .Mac account, which would totally be worth purchasing at that point).

I can too. Not remotely, but 3rd party software is ALWAYS better for that.

20. Java app performance is decent on OS X, and the same code looks infinitely better when it’s not running on Windows. In fact, most third-party apps are very well designed so as to integrate seamlessly with the entire OS. That’s beyond refreshing.

Java + IE = sucks. Use firefox to justify anything. Java APPLICATIONS run seamless for me.

tiys

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane
Motherboard ECS AMD690GM-M2
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Diamond Viper Radeon X1950pro 256MB
Storage WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 17" LCD
Case Still an HP case...if you have one for free/cheap, PM me :)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550watt
Software Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Without VMware or emulating a Windows OS? I don't think so.

No offence, but what's the point in using ANY other non-windows OS, if you've then got to emulate Windows to use certain programs....

You make a good point. :)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
^ agree with all of that. this guys 'facts' are retarded.

ChillyMyst

I can play any Windows game or run any Windows App on a my Mac, but I can't play any Mac game on my PC or run Mac software on Windows (besides Safari and a few others) :cry:

sure you can, get ahold of a vmware image of osx(they are around) and you can load it right up and use mac software all you like.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
sure you can, get ahold of a vmware image of osx(they are around) and you can load it right up and use mac software all you like.

doesnt work so well, since OSX has very poor driver support. networking in particular, is a real pain.

ChillyMyst

the network "card" emulated by vmware is VERY common, and infact by the images can be changed IF the person setting it up knows how.

and i have seen it done, and it worked fine, personaly i didnt see the point as im quite capable of getting equivlant yet better software for the pc free.

movies/encoding=mediacoder, its avalable in 32 and 64bit, offers better fetures then ANY apple encoding software, and its 100% free!!!!

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I can play any Windows game or run any Windows App on a my Mac, but I can't play any Mac game on my PC or run Mac software on Windows (besides Safari and a few others) :cry:

Crysis?

Microsoft Chkdsk?

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
or dos games? :p

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
*yawns*
*looks at market share*
*yawns*

I do not care if you have a mac. Why are mac users, on average, so much louder about using macs than windows users? Windows vista is an insanely awesome operating system, and windows XP supports... Everything ever made. Get back to me when MacOS can do that.

Seriously, go find some obsolete hunk of hardware that you can't really identify in your closet, hook it up to a winXP machine, and watch it know what it is.

As far as price... *yawns* price the parts in a mac and laugh it the price discrepancy. If you somehow manage to come out more expensive, keep in mind that OEMs don't use good namebrand PSUs, Mobos, and RAM. The thought of a Mac being cost-effective makes me laugh, especially if you wind up having to buy Vista/XP in the end because your OS can't do anything.

"windows vista is ugly blah blah blah" clearly, some people have never used vista. It's extremely functional and effective at everything it does, and it does a whole helluva lot more than allow me to write blog posts that nobody cares about while browsing flickr, while listening to some rad tunes in itunes.

@Java support: platform-independent code works better on machine X than Y, amirite?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
i don't care about Mac OS X however get all or most games running on linux i be there ASAP.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i don't care about Mac OS X however get all or most games running on linux i be there ASAP.

+1 to that.

I would love a clean, simple gaming OS.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
let him say what he wants, untill Crysis and CSS run on mac, im staying put cause its funny to laugh at the mac noobs

Mac its so simple and user friendly we dont let you tweak it cause you might break it

Bullshit. A good majority of the Unix tweaks apply to mac. You just don't get a pretty GUI to do it, you have to go to the command line. You can delete the entire kernel with the command line if you're not careful. Yes, it's very noob friendly, but it's also tweakable to the hardcore users.

And @ Xoom - Use the same parts as a Mac to build a PC, and the price is the same. The exception being the Mac notebooks. In that respect, Macs are priced very fairly. If you don't need or want a dual socket Workstation board, and the S771 cpus and FB-DIMMs that go with it (ala MacPro), then yeah, your money is better spent elsewhere. But that still doesn't make Macs overpriced. As far as the iMac, no other all-in-one computer represents a better value. Again, if you don't want an all-in-one, then yeah, you should look elsewhere. It all comes down to what hardware you want. if a Mac has the features and hardware you want, then they represent an equal value to a PC with the same specs.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
doesnt work so well, since OSX has very poor driver support. networking in particular, is a real pain.

This is a complete and out right lie. VMWare works good, but Parallels and Boot Camp are supported to the upmost. Boot Camp is made by Apple! Networking is a problem? Apple gives you the drivers to get EVERYTHING working. Parallels also works perfectly and has no issues. Any network problem that I've head about is solved with a simple restart, and it's only a one time thing.

It never ceases to amaze me how people come up with exaggerated lies just to support their argument. No offense man, but this is just false information.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This is a complete and out right lie. VMWare works good, but Parallels and Boot Camp are supported to the upmost. Boot Camp is made by Apple! Networking is a problem? Apple gives you the drivers to get EVERYTHING working. Parallels also works perfectly and has no issues. Any network problem that I've head about is solved with a simple restart, and it's only a one time thing.

It never ceases to amaze me how people come up with exaggerated lies just to support their argument. No offense man, but this is just false information.

it never ceases to amase me how people can read messages out of context in order to make up totally irrelevant arguments - we are talking about mac OSX on a PC, NOT the other way around.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
it never ceases to amase me how people can read messages out of context in order to make up totally irrelevant arguments - we are talking about mac OSX on a PC, NOT the other way around.

Ohhh...Lol, well then, I was getting kinda pissed at that little comment. Anyway, my bad. I wouldn't recommend the OSX project to anyone, it's not worth the effort. When Apple starts distributing their OS mainstream, things will change.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
*yawns*
*looks at market share*
*yawns*

I do not care if you have a mac. Why are mac users, on average, so much louder about using macs than windows users? Windows vista is an insanely awesome operating system, and windows XP supports... Everything ever made. Get back to me when MacOS can do that.

Seriously, go find some obsolete hunk of hardware that you can't really identify in your closet, hook it up to a winXP machine, and watch it know what it is.

As far as price... *yawns* price the parts in a mac and laugh it the price discrepancy. If you somehow manage to come out more expensive, keep in mind that OEMs don't use good namebrand PSUs, Mobos, and RAM. The thought of a Mac being cost-effective makes me laugh, especially if you wind up having to buy Vista/XP in the end because your OS can't do anything.

"windows vista is ugly blah blah blah" clearly, some people have never used vista. It's extremely functional and effective at everything it does, and it does a whole helluva lot more than allow me to write blog posts that nobody cares about while browsing flickr, while listening to some rad tunes in itunes.

@Java support: platform-independent code works better on machine X than Y, amirite?

no that won't work, XP requires a 233mhz CPU and PCI devices, it cant understand ISA as the NT Kenal can not understand them. But most hardware built after 1995 works with XP lol

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Ohhh...Lol, well then, I was getting kinda pissed at that little comment. Anyway, my bad. I wouldn't recommend the OSX project to anyone, it's not worth the effort. When Apple starts distributing their OS mainstream, things will change.

yea thousands of drivers clogging it up, lots of backwards compatible code, ect.

Sounds a bit like Windows to me, but can the MacOS handle it is the question?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
yea thousands of drivers clogging it up, lots of backwards compatible code, ect.

As far as hardware and driver support yes, but I believe Apple would have to tighten up on their security if distributed to a mainstream OEM market.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

^ thats part of the reason i like vista, it comes with a lot of generic drivers.
"HD audio device" only the one monitor driver for digital screens, etc.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
the network "card" emulated by vmware is VERY common, and infact by the images can be changed IF the person setting it up knows how.

and i have seen it done, and it worked fine, personaly i didnt see the point as im quite capable of getting equivlant yet better software for the pc free.

movies/encoding=mediacoder, its avalable in 32 and 64bit, offers better fetures then ANY apple encoding software, and its 100% free!!!!
"Equivalent yet better" is an opinion. Some might say the opposite. There's some cross platform apps that I prefer in Windows, and some that I prefer in OS X. I prefer VLC and PS on OSX.

ffmpegX is essentially the Media Coder equivalent. It doesn't support quite as many codecs, but has been 100X more stable than Media Coder for me. It's also 100% free. But I like both, so i just use the one that's on the machine I'm currently using.

Crysis?

Microsoft Chkdsk?
Don't know about chkdsk, but yes on Crysis. Boot Camp allows you to boot to Windows natively. Newer MacPros even have an 8800GT option.
if you use the same componanats, but i can build a system with componanats of the same QUILITY and equivlant performance for cheaper, for prebuilts......well screw them, :p

acctualy i wana see you find a mac that price for power matches this WileE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113045&Tpk=gateway+8800gt

i know its a gateway, but its a 2.3gz k10, 3gb ram, 8800gt 512, 500GB hdd.
oh and these arent your old gateways, acer now owns gateway, and i havent ever had major problems with acers other then the old ones that used those weird optical drive fronts so u couldnt just swap them out.....

show me a mac that matches that at 1039.99 :)
No, that's not near equal. The MacPros are 8 core machines now. And besides, that doesn't matter. We're not talking about similar performance for a lesser price, we are talking about trying to get the same exact parts and features for a lesser price. Not gonna happen. What you never consider is, what if a person wants a goddamned dual socket workstation system? Your build fails compared to a MacPro in my eyes. Build me an 8 core system with the same specs, performance and capabilities for less than a MacPro, then you have an argument. Until then, you don't.