• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell and Goodwill Launch Free Computer Recycling Service

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Reconnect, a free drop-off program to recycle unwanted computers, was introduced today by Dell and Goodwill Industries of Northwest Ohio.
  • Reconnect offers consumers in northwest Ohio free recycling for any brand of computer equipment in any condition. Residents can find a drop-off location at www.reconnectpartnership.com .
  • Program goals are to divert nearly 1 million pounds of used computers and computer equipment from area landfills over the next year; and provide consumer education on the importance of environmentally-responsible computer disposal. Reconnect also can help create job opportunities for individuals with disabilities and other employment barriers.
  • Reconnect programs currently exist in Austin, Texas, (15 counties in Central Texas), San Francisco (Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties), San Antonio (23 counties in Central and South Texas), North Carolina (49 counties), San Diego County, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, as well as throughout the states of Michigan and New Jersey.

"Goodwill's Reconnect program has the potential not only to divert environmentally dangerous products from the solid waste stream but also to provide new opportunities for disabled citizens throughout Northwest Ohio" said Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur.

"Goodwill Industries of Northwest Ohio is very happy to begin the operational phase of our partnership with Dell," said Bob Huber, Goodwill's President and CEO. "Responsible recycling of e-waste is critical to our environment and we are excited to offer this program to the communities we serve. As the pilot for other Ohio Goodwills, we join Michigan and other Goodwill/Dell Reconnect partners around the country in this beneficial community effort while supporting Goodwill's mission and creating new jobs."

"Dell wants to make computer recycling easy and free for any consumer, and ReConnect is an important program that helps make that possible," said Joe Strathmann, head of product recycling services for Dell. "Becoming the greenest technology company means partnering with communities, stakeholders and customers to help protect the Earth. Our latest Northwest Ohio partnership is an excellent example of that effort in action."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Namslas90

Crap!! There goes my free parts supply!:banghead:

EDIT; then again, maybe I can get rid of some useless junk!:D

Processor AMD A64 X2 4600
Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Memory 1 G Kingston DDR2 PC2 5300
Video Card(s) onboard
Storage seagate 250GB Samsung 500GB
Power Supply Thermaltake
Software Micorsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (Tweaked)
Once i tried to throw away some old monitors and the city trash didnt take it :laugh:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
About time, this is long overdue.

I think something similar exists here in NYC as well, they pick up computers/monitors on recycling days.

miksanity

"For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expects me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans. And account for every drop of used motor oil. And also recycle my computer."- Tyler Durdan.

Say what you want about Dell, but at least they're actively trying to promote good practices, you know, saving our environment from even more waste and all that. I believe this is an admirable goal that every company should strive for. Dell's got my vote on this one. :cool:

shmig

But my used computer parts are not waste. Granted, people throw them away. But there's enough metal (like gold) to make these things worth more than nothing. What would be even more effective than giving us a way to dispose of our old computers for free is a way to dispose of them for money. But at least in this case Goodwill is involved, so likely those old parts with go to good use.

A few years ago the city of Omaha Nebraska decided to upgrade many many monitors. Unfortunately, there are very specific disposal standards in place for monitors. They decided to put a couple free monitors in every car that they auctioned off. This didn't go over well when everyday consumers threw them in the trash instead. I don't know what kind of trouble they got into, but they did get some trouble.

Batteries are also illegal to throw in the trash, and are in fact totally re-usable. Paper is actually one of the best things to recycle because it requires soooo much energy to make it in the first place. But I still think it's stupid to think people will do the 'right thing' based simply on good conscience. Remember when you used to get money for recycling aluminum cans? This, in fact, worked too well. You can still get money for your cans, it's just a whole lot harder and a whole lot less. But my point remains: the sound of money is much louder in my mind than that little voice telling me not to litter.

Last edited:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Good point, never hurts to add a little incentive to do the right thing. Though a lot of people will recycle anyway cause they know it will help the planet and with attitudes about the enviroment changing the number of these people will grow.