• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP Service Pack 3 Could Slow Down Vista Adoption

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
yea, well the only reason to go vista is if you have a dx10 gpu. i just got it because i had the money to get it now.

I have a DX10 GPU but I dont plan to head over to the Vista hotel anytime soon - even when i eventually put my new rig together its going to be vista free,

unless they migrate ALL new games to DX10 or they find out that George W. Bushwhacker actually has something called intelligence im sticking with XP despite my games not looking as fly for a rabbi as it would if i was running it in DX10.

on a positive sidenote. even though I havent heard much about M$'s new Windows 7 for some strange reason im quite looking forward to it. but if they do release Windows 7 soon then that would be proof that Vista was indeed a bummed out OS in the first place which would also put M$ in the direct line of sight of a few thousand angry consumers & their solicitors/attourneys who will sue M$ for releasing/seling bummed out goods even when they knew it was bummed out,

I hope Windows 7 to be a more refined OS

ChillyMyst

The migration to Vista will happen when the games released are dx10 only unless ppl are happy playing old games. I no ppl are saying theyll wait for windows 7 cus they dont like vista but what if 7's a dissapointment theyll have to go vista or 7 cus xp will have no support then.

i really dont think ANY game company other then MS is gonna try and force people to use dx10 or vista, because as you can see if you look at the gaming industry they cater to the lowist common denomonater(other then crysis).

hl2 and doom3 when they came out had codepaths to allow cards as old as the gf2/gf4mx(same chip) run the games at playable speeds/settings, and those cards where ANCIENT at the time, you could get a 9600/9550 for like 60bucks........

any game company forcing the use of dx10 and vista will loose out of a huge ammount of sales, just as crysis wouldnt have sold over a million copys had it been vista exclusive(and crytek KNEW THAT)

basickly what will happen from my view, is people who cant stand vista (like me) will get windows7 and if they have to, they will mod the installer so it dosnt install all that bullshit.

oh and AddSub 100% agree, i know alot of ppl who dumped xp due to hassles and buggs and went back to 2k, no complains other then having to edit the reg to get the taskbar icons to be 16 or 32bit insted of 8bit(not hard, x-setup can do it for you)

2k rocks for its age, and it still gets critical updates last i checked, this was/is because companys who refuse/cant upgrade to xp are willing to pay MS for extended support, and ms knows that if they try and force them to "upgrade" to xp they will likely find themselves with one less large corp buying their licences and heading over to linux/bsd/mac.

2k has ZERO acctivation bs, it had no "call home" crap, its just a clean, stable, fast os that can be used for whatever you want to use it for.

i think with windows 7 we may finnely see ms put out another 2k, tho im SURE it will have to many noobie hand holder wizzards by default, at least it shouldnt be 85% bloat like vista or 70% bloat like xp(fuking microsoft "my first pc" luna crap, looks like fisher price.....)

ChillyMyst

I have a DX10 GPU but I dont plan to head over to the Vista hotel anytime soon - even when i eventually put my new rig together its going to be vista free,

unless they migrate ALL new games to DX10 or they find out that George W. Bushwhacker actually has something called intelligence im sticking with XP despite my games not looking as fly for a rabbi as it would if i was running it in DX10.

on a positive sidenote. even though I havent heard much about M$'s new Windows 7 for some strange reason im quite looking forward to it. but if they do release Windows 7 soon then that would be proof that Vista was indeed a bummed out OS in the first place which would also put M$ in the direct line of sight of a few thousand angry consumers & their solicitors/attourneys who will sue M$ for releasing/seling bummed out goods even when they knew it was bummed out,

I hope Windows 7 to be a more refined OS

windows 7 is going back to the way they did windows nt3/4/5(2k) but they are striping out most of the bullshit lagacy code support, calling it "minwin" what i mean by going back is that unlike xp and vista they will put out the server and desktop os at the same time and the same updates will be used for both, this is why 2k was ALWASE more stable/reliable then xp of vista, because you CANT put out a bad update to a server os, you would screw yourself, ms would be sued, they would loose, and they would also loose costmers, hence 2k never got the nasty buggy updates that broke drivers or other software that xp has gotten or the brick your system updates that vista has gotten :)

Im excisted about windows7(got i hope they keep that name, it just sounds kool!!!) even if its got the gui bs of vista, as long as i can dissable it if i want to, im good, the reasion in excited is i really want to see the nt core shine again like it did with nt4,2k and does with 2k3/x64 pro, vista to me, was a rushed out bit to make a quick buck, there is NOTHING done in vista that couldnt be done in 2k/xp/2k3, ms just wants to push you go buy their latist POS version of windows.....no thanks ms, i will stick with what i have, even if you gave me vista ultimate FREE hoping i would help u sell more copys!!.

i cant go linux because IM A GAMER and LINUX SUCKS FOR GAMING!!!!.

oh and i agree, ogl>d3d, just gotta get more game companys to use it!!!!

ChillyMyst

They probably should have kept IE7 a Vista only item as well as Office 2008 ;) It worked for gamers who wanted DX10.

+1

MS will just have to wait until their systems die and they buy a new one with Vista installed.

And if you download from Windows Update you probably have like 90% of SP3 any way :D

is anybody really stupid enought to buy vista in order to get ie7 let alone office 2008?

i know buisnesses wouldnt get office 2008 if vista was requiered, alot arent getting it anyway, to many changes for the avg office worker to quickly adapt to, and no improvements really, oh yeah and docx format sucks!!!!!

D

Deleted member 24505

I think everyone who complains about microshafts crappy os's should uninstall xp form their machines and install linux.If you dont like vista,fair enuff,but knocking them when you are using any microsoft os,makes you a hipocrite.

I'am sick of hearing every thread that mention xp or vista turn into a how cack is vista thing.

Ffs,if you dont like vista people,fair enuff.Just please stop bleating about it in every damn xp/vista thread.

ChillyMyst

but vista sucks :p (pokes tigger with stick)

and i bitch about stuff ms does, but i also love my windows 2k/2k3/x64pro :D

tigger since you love vista so much wana buy my vista ultimate ms gave me :p

D

Deleted member 24505

I dont love vista that much,some things do bug me,mainly the fact that the x-fi card is not perfect on it,but that is not creatives fault.I do like it tho'and all my games and progs work fine.So what if i get 1.3fps less on vista than xp,they run good enuff.

There are things which bug me more in xp,like if a prog crashes and it takes out windows forcing a reboot.I have never had a bsod on vista at all,which is deffo a good thing.And i like that media centre comes with vista,it is very useful for my usb tv stick,which works great and all vista wants is the driver off the disc and nothing else.

I just dont want to see every thread which mentions vista turn into a vista bashing thread.Both os's do have their quirks,some of the xp ones bug me more than vista's do but i dont bash xp every chance i get.

I bought home premium oem and have changed my board twice and it has still activated with no problem,sorry but i dont really fancy ultimate,it has nothing over home premium that i considered worth the extra cost.How much you asking for it anyway?

I was'nt pointing the finger at you specifically chilly,there are a few people on here that seem to enjoy bashing vista at every opportunity,please guys we get it now,you dont like it.

ChillyMyst

duno how much i want for it, i really dont care for it, to much effort to do basick things.

and i have never had 2003/x64pro take out the whole os when an app crashes, i have had beta games cause thevideo drivers to bugg then had to restart to fully fix it, but nothing that wouldnt also make vista unhappy.

one tip under xp/2k/2k3/x64pro, set it so each explorer window has its own prosess, this stops alot of the "app crashed, took explorer with it, shit, damnit" infact, siince i set that as a std tweak in all my windows builds,(nlite rox) i havent had neerly the trouble i had b4 under xp(tho i dont like xp personaly, to buggy for a guy use to server os's)

BXtreme

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2 ghz|| Core2 T5250
Motherboard Asus P6N Platinum || 965GM
Cooling Air cooling
Memory Kingston 2x1gb DDR2 677mhz || 2x1gb 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 8800 GTS 640mb || Geforce 8600GT M
Storage Seagate 500GB Sata || 160gb
Display(s) Samsung 30" HD LCD || 15" lcd (laptop)
Case A not-so-known brand case w/ two fans and some blue lightings
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Mac OS X Leopard, Linux Mint 4.0, and all windoze...geez...
Another title could emerge, however, pessimistically.., "XP Service Pack 3 Could Slow Down XP" or maybe bloat it like vista, oh well, time will tell...

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Lol if that was true the revolt from xp users would be huge.

System Name lumi
Processor Intel Core i5-3570
Motherboard MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Cooling Stock :O
Memory 16GB DDR3-12800 1600Mhz (4*4GB)
Video Card(s) nVidia 750 Ti
Storage 256GB SP900 (Linux)/Samsung 850 EVO (Win10) - 4x4TB Storage
Display(s) dual 24" Samsungs (1080)
Case Fractal Design Core 3000
Audio Device(s) Onboard :/
Power Supply 850 watt pretty green thing
Mouse Naga Trinity
Keyboard CM Quikfire TK (Red)
Software Ubuntu 18.04/Win10
is anybody really stupid enought to buy vista in order to get ie7 let alone office 2008?

i know buisnesses wouldnt get office 2008 if vista was requiered, alot arent getting it anyway, to many changes for the avg office worker to quickly adapt to, and no improvements really, oh yeah and docx format sucks!!!!!

err. isnt office 08 for mac?

BXtreme

Cooling Air cooling
i thought office 2008 came out first for mac...:twitch: , google around, Jack says: "I need proof, or do I not?" :wtf:

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Maybe your thinking of office 07 then again i could be wrong.

BXtreme

Cooling Air cooling
Office 2008 for mac = Office 2007 for windows.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
well have fun waiting around for windows "7." you will probably wait another 2 years. i really dont understand all the vista bashing. it runs rock solid on my rig.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Lots of Vista love in this thread :rockout:

I have a quick question about gaming in Vista. I know there is a big performance hit when gaming in Direct X10 mode. What about gaming in vista and forcing games to be played in Dx 9 mode. Does this still result in a FPS drop?