• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Proposing Takeover Bid for Take-Two

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Given EA's somewhat criticised reputation for takeovers (Bullfrog and Westwood come to mind), Grand Theft Auto fans may not be best pleased to hear that EA is now making a bid to acquire Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two has a number of major subsidiaries, with some of the best known being developers Rockstar and Firaxis, responsible for the GTA series and Sid Meier's more recent games such as Civilization IV; along with publisher 2K Games. The company is also responsible for other well-known titles such as Manhunt and Bioshock. EA is offering $26 per share, giving the merger an approximate value of $2.5 billion. The full press release can be read here, and you can read on to see a statement posted by EA's CEO, John Riccitiello.

I'm pleased to announce that EA has made a proposal to acquire Take-Two. We've issued a press release that explains why the deal is attractive for the shareholders of both Take-Two and EA. Now I want to share some perspective on why it would be good for the people who make Take-Two's games and, just as important, the people who play them.

In a recent presentation, I told a group of developers that our industry is facing big challenges. Development costs are rising dramatically and games that aren't big hits struggle to reach profitability. Most independent studios don't have much margin for error. The result has been consolidation - large publishers are merging and independent developers are more amenable to being acquired. Unfortunately, our industry has a spotty record on integrating creative teams. We've all heard the stories about teams that got mismanaged in a merger - I know I've got a few.

I like to think that we learn from our experience. When I came back to EA last year, we introduced a new organization model that respects creative cultures and gives developers more freedom. We call it the "Label" model because it treats each of EA's four labels as a sovereign entity responsible for its own creative decisions and business results. We expect each team to operate on a profit plan and, in exchange, we provide investment, infrastructure and a lot of creative freedom.

Has it worked at EA? It's too early to say for sure, but the initial feedback is encouraging. Many of the people at Digital Illusions in Stockholm, Criterion in the UK, Mythic in Virginia, and more recently BioWare and Pandemic will tell you that so far, the experience at EA has been good. If you know people who work for these studios, I'd encourage you to talk to them. Ask them about our Label organization model. It's the model we hope to use with Take-Two.

Right now, Take-Two's future is uncertain. Take-Two's creative teams make fantastic games and the company has gotten some good interim support from a group of new corporate leaders. But Take-Two is facing a host of threats and - with or without combination with EA - we believe there is a strong likelihood that the company will be sold in the not-too-distant future.

We also believe that EA's proposal to acquire Take-Two is a good one for the people that make the games or are involved in leading these creative teams. We're offering stable management with an executive team that truly understands games. EA has a powerful publishing capability. We want to offer these and other advantages to Take-Two's creative teams and provide them an environment that shields these teams from unnecessary interference and allows them to keep making great games.

For people who buy and play games, know that we too are fans of Take-Two and Rockstar products and feel we can provide their creative teams with the support they deserve to continue to bring you more of their great games in the future.

So, that's it. We've made a proposal to buy Take-Two. Our preference is to make this a friendly transaction and I'm hopeful we can achieve that. We've sent this proposal in the genuine belief that combining EA and Take-Two would be good for the people who make games and good for the people who play them.

I sincerely hope we get a chance to prove it.

John Riccitiello

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
i thought we already had a thread on this? either way EA is buying out the competition

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
The link suggest communication from the 24th. So all is well at the moment unless something else develops.

ktr

I dont care if EA takes T2...but it has be after April...I dont want to see EA's name on my GTA4 ;).

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
If they do before April, they may hold the game back, put some in-game adds into it about all the other wonderful games that they have. I don't think this will happen but i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Do Not Let Ea Buy Take 2!

bombfirst885

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
Storage WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM | WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Antec 900W
Power Supply Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous
Software Windows 7
So Microsoft is willing to blow 40+ billion on Yahoo, but not 2.5 billion to help out their struggling first party development. Microsoft should just bite the bullet, and buy TK2 for GTA alone.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
and then port it to xbox360 only

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
So Microsoft is willing to blow 40+ billion on Yahoo, but not 2.5 billion to help out their struggling first party development. Microsoft should just bite the bullet, and buy TK2 for GTA alone.

Well said and very true bombfirst. But the real reason behind Microsoft offering so much money for Yahoo was because of the potential ad revenue that they would be making from it. And I dont think that Microsoft necessarily wants to put that same philosophy in games. Well maybe a little but not +$40Billion for it.

however I do hope that Microsoft does make a counteroffer. It would really show EA that they cant buy any developer or publisher that they want to.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Dont see anything wrong with this really. The whole GTA franchise sucks anyways, of course, that is just my opinion.

And +1 on a thread talking about this same thing. IT was a few days back that I saw it.

brian.ca

i thought we already had a thread on this? either way EA is buying out the competition

You're probably right (about seeing a thread on this already), take two already declined (for now) saying EA undervalued them and just want to cash in on GTA before it's released. They offered to talk to EA after the release and I believe EA already declined. However given EAs approach there's probably still a chance of a hostile take over.

I hope not though.. I haven't had any inclination to buy any EA games in a long time and that was only cemented a few years back with the news of EA games using copy right protection that really screwed up peoples systems. That kept me from even trying out some of the few games from them that I did want to try when I found out they were distributing them (Black & White 2, and some version of them sims I think it was).

I don't want to see the EA tag on games like the next Civ installments or /shudder, the next Elder Scrolls game (think they're just the distributor there though).

tiys

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane
Motherboard ECS AMD690GM-M2
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Diamond Viper Radeon X1950pro 256MB
Storage WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 17" LCD
Case Still an HP case...if you have one for free/cheap, PM me :)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550watt
Software Windows XP Home Edition SP2
I'm on EA's side with buying T2. It's a good move because they'll get more revenue after GTAIV comes out. It's a good investment IMHO.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
I'm on EA's side with buying T2. It's a good move because they'll get more revenue after GTAIV comes out. It's a good investment IMHO.

A good investment for EA but is it a good investment for gamers and independent delelopers?

daboggeyman

System Name Badmother 2
Processor AMD 6000+ AM2@ 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard DFI AM2 570 Infinity
Cooling Air
Memory Corsair Dominator 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI 4850
Storage 2x WD SATA2 120 + 1 WD 80 = 320 HD Space
Display(s) LCD
Case ChifeTec Full tower
Audio Device(s) ON Board sound 6.1 Suround Speakers
Power Supply 650 Watt Ultra V series
Software Win XP pro x64 / Vista
Benchmark Scores not into it

hacker111

damn. Lets dot the deal without the GTA..the devopers are fine and getting better...no need to change. Hire them to your company to help?:toast: