• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway's Foxconn C51GU01 bios unlocked

I shall soon test the unlocked BIOS.
I have not yet tested the unlocked BIOS.

On stock BIOS CPU temp may be in the 50s (degrees Celcius), but with 6100K8MA-RS BIOS and fans at maximum CPU temp was like 35 degrees Celcius.

MrG, does your unlocked BIOS allow more control of the fans (like opting to run fans at maximum).

MrG

Hi Ascii2,

Sorry for the slow reply. There is an setting under power management called Cool N' Quit. This option was hidden by Gateway but it is not in the unlocked bios. I have no idea what this setting does. I do not have the machine to check it out. The machine belongs to a client of mine. Other than this setting, I do not see any other setting for fan control. Hope this helps...

Hi Ascii2,

Sorry for the slow reply. There is an setting under power management called Cool N' Quit. This option was hidden by Gateway but it is not in the unlocked bios. I have no idea what this setting does. I do not have the machine to check it out. The machine belongs to a client of mine. Other than this setting, I do not see any other setting for fan control. Hope this helps...
If by "Cool N' Quit", you meant Cool N' Quiet, then the setting should be settable to allow regulation of voltage, CPU frequency, and fan rotation speed (if circuitry for option physically exists) via driver.

MrG

Hi Ascii2,

Yes Cool N' Quiet. I contacted my client and had him enter the bios. That setting only has two options, Auto or Disable. Cool N' Quiet is hidden and set to Auto in the stock bios. I really do not no what that setting means. Perhaps it regulates the fan speeds but I cannot be sure. You need to understand that my unlocked bios only unlocks the hidden settings. If a setting is hidden then it still can be enabled like Cool N' Quiet is. I made no changes to the values of the hidden settings. This is left up to the user. The unlocked bios is really safe. You should install it and see what settings I have unlocked. You can also fire up modbin6 from a command window. Choose the 611E3P04.BIN to view the stock bios or UNLOCKED.BIN to view the unlocked bios. Once you choose the bios just select Edit Setup Screen from the left Window pane. The hidden settings are shown in black. Let me no how you make out...

MrG

Hi Ascii2,

I just found the page that gives a very good explanation of what Cool N' Quiet does.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article231-page1.html
This could explain why people are telling me that when they change the CPU frequency, CPUZ still shows the default value of 200. I cannot help but wonder if Cool N' Quiet is disabled, then a CPU frequency change will will be picked up by CPUZ. Anyway just wanted to pass that on...

Hi Ascii2,

I just found the page that gives a very good explanation of what Cool N' Quiet does.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article231-page1.html
This could explain why people are telling me that when they change the CPU frequency, CPUZ still shows the default value of 200. I cannot help but wonder if Cool N' Quiet is disabled, then a CPU frequency change will will be picked up by CPUZ.
CPU-Z should be able to show changes in CPU clock in almost realtime. A change in CPU clock should result in a chage in CPU-Z displayed clock when CPU-Z is used.

Ascii2,

...The unlocked bios is really safe. You should install it and see what settings I have unlocked.
I have installed the unlocked BIOS. It seems to function much better than the stock BIOS. The fans may be prevented fro spinning down by disabling the option to use Smart Fan (Within PC Health category). The BIOS seems to have a very high shutdown threshold temperature (default 90 degrees Celsius, I believe) such that the CPU core temperature may not exceed the threshold if the fans are off in an ambient temperature of about [23+8/9] degrees Celsius. Wherefore the Smart Fan functionality maintains the fan at a low rate of spin and a temperature quite different but less than the threshold is achieved (around a toasty 55 degrees Celsius for a reasonable clean and non-obstructed computer). The disabling the Smart Fan option in the stock BIOS seemed to fail to allow the fans to cool the CPU to a more reasonable temperature; the unlocked BIOS, however, does have the option functioning correctly. The PC Health options in the C51GGU01 seem to be buggy (more on this below).

You can also fire up modbin6 from a command window. Choose the 611E3P04.BIN to view the stock bios or UNLOCKED.BIN to view the unlocked bios. Once you choose the bios just select Edit Setup Screen from the left Window pane. The hidden settings are shown in black. Let me no how you make out...
I tried looking at the settings in for the unlocked BIOS using MODBIN6 2.01.01 and MODBIN6 2.01.02. Something worth noting is that a "Frequency/Voltage Control" category is defined in BIOS (stock and unlocked), but not used (and also seems not to contain any settings).

Another thing worth mentioning is that the option displayed in MODBIN6 and set to "Normal", "CPU Thermal-Throttling", does not appear in BIOS setup.

My experience with the unlocked BIOS has been positive. Thank you MrG.

GamingPc01

can i change my ram voltage with this? Or does anyone no of a bios for this mobo that can.

tcblack

Raid?

Does this unlock enable the RAID functions of the motherboard?

MrG

Hi tcblack,

Yes I have unlocked the Raid settings in the bios. However I have not ever tried to setup any Raid drives. Please give it a try and let me know if it works.

tcblack

RAID works

Hi tcblack,

Yes I have unlocked the Raid settings in the bios. However I have not ever tried to setup any Raid drives. Please give it a try and let me know if it works.

Raid works!

I know that this Motherboard's Nvidia raid has been slammed in other forums, but so what. The raid works with this BIOS on my machine.

The big hang up for me was finding out I had to get the Nvidia nforce drivers and put them on a disk for the windows installer to use. Once that was done, no problem.

MrG

Hi tcblack,

Thanks for info. Glad it worked out for you...

tcblack

FWIW, using this BIOS with Raid (mirroring) enabled - windows 7 RC installed and runs like gold.

Now my last frontier is figuring out the fastest possible CPU I can plug into this MOBO (and if it's worth it.)

Extreme_Kid

I was searching around the net and came across this thread , I like to thank you MrG for this wonderful share , before attempting to flash my bios , I was wondering if it would be possible to change the CPU voltage in this new Bios after disabling CoolNquite setting... and after flashing the Bios to " 6100K8MA-RS " I should install the 6100K8MA-RS drivers right ?

I would appreciate your answer , thnx.

@MrG

The modified BIOS does not seem to have an option for ECP for the parallel port. I believe the BIOS unmodified BIOS had ECP for the parallel port.

At best the parallel port can do (and has the BIOS option to do) EPP.

Can you fix the modified BIOS to include the ECP for the parallel port?

xyf80

thank you so much, Mr.G, while other is breaking the bios try to let it work your method only took 1min! I got RAID and all the other funtion working like a charm. Thank you so much

jrobinson

Raid works!

I know that this Motherboard's Nvidia raid has been slammed in other forums, but so what. The raid works with this BIOS on my machine.

The big hang up for me was finding out I had to get the Nvidia nforce drivers and put them on a disk for the windows installer to use. Once that was done, no problem.

Could you share any info on what you had to do for the drivers? I need to setup a RAID here at work and minimum downtime is a must! If you could provide a little info, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jen